Wow, one game in and ESPN has already made me sick of Ben Simmons | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Wow, one game in and ESPN has already made me sick of Ben Simmons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
AND.......during the UCONN/OSU women's game.....the mandatory graphic and update on what Ben Simmons did in his debut 3 days ago.

:rolleyes:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I always struggle with the all 5 position claim. I'm not sure anyone has been able to play all 5 positions. You need to be able to guard all 5 positions to make this claim.

Maybe Lebron...maybe
Pretty sure Magic did it. I vaguely remember him playing some center.

Reaction Score
AND..during the UCONN/OSU women's game.....the mandatory graphic and update on what Ben Simmons did in his debut 3 days ago.

:rolleyes:

LSU has a game on ESPNU tonight. Shocking that they're advertising such a hyped player.

Reaction Score
Tonight is my first eyes on the kid, funny thing is that they don't look to set him up, he gets points off the break and wherever. Handles at 6'10 like a guard, and great court vision with beautiful passes. Wonder what he will play in the pros?

Reaction Score
Upgraded version of Kyle Anderson?
Yup. Kid's gonna be ridiculously good.

I've never really been a Celtics fan, but I'll front-run like a son of a b**** if they get this kid.

Simmons plays like Boris diaw IMO .doesnt possess generational athletcism ( young diaw had hops and played pg for the hawks).
37 inch no-step vertical and a lightning quick second jump.

I guess you're right in that he's not LeBron-esque, but he looks more like an NBA player than any other college kid I've seen this year.

Reaction Score
I keep seeing the KD comparison and just don't see it. Kid is obviously great but without an elite jumper (yet) how can you make that comparison? I like the Lamar Odom comparison in style of game but with a much higher ceiling.

Reaction Score
I keep seeing the KD comparison and just don't see it. Kid is obviously great but without an elite jumper (yet) how can you make that comparison? I like the Lamar Odom comparison in style of game but with a much higher ceiling.

where have you read a KD comparison? The general consensus is that he's a Lamar Odom type, I've never seen any Durant mentions.

Reaction Score
where have you read a KD comparison? The general consensus is that he's a Lamar Odom type, I've never seen any Durant mentions.
IIRC somebody on the ESPNU season preview show. Basically because of the size, length and ball handling ability at such a young age. Also said he's the most NBA ready prospect since KD which is the only point I'd agree on, the rest was just classic ESPN fluffer material.

Reaction Score
I watched an interview with him. Like many before him, Simmons declared he can play all 5 positions. He is position less.
Not impressed until he can play all 5 at the same time.

But really, he is a phenomenal talent and if he stays healthy will be very very good at the next level. I hope he dominates in the Kentucky game.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I always struggle with the all 5 position claim. I'm not sure anyone has been able to play all 5 positions. You need to be able to guard all 5 positions to make this claim.

Maybe Lebron...maybe
I wasn't a big NBA fan at the time but when Magic Johnson stepped in to play center in the playoffs many years ago it turned a few heads. At the time, a 6-9 point guard was like ....................what ? Incredible talent.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
IIRC somebody on the ESPNU season preview show. Basically because of the size, length and ball handling ability at such a young age. Also said he's the most NBA ready prospect since KD which is the only point I'd agree on, the rest was just classic ESPN fluffer material.

I haven't seen Simmons play yet, but he's more NBA ready than Anthony Davis was?

Reaction Score

lol, so one nameless dude? Ok...

Reaction Score
I've only seen one game against an overmatched opponent, but he looked pretty spectacular yesterday. I don't think he struggled at anything. He's going to need to extend his shooting range, but other than that, there's nothing missing.

Reaction Score
I wasn't a big NBA fan at the time but when Magic Johnson stepped in to play center in the playoffs many years ago it turned a few heads. At the time, a 6-9 point guard was like .....what ? Incredible talent.
This story has sort of evolved over time, and bear in mind that I'm not bashing Magic here. I think he's one of the 5 greatest players ever, and easily the best PG, but:

1) He didn't really play center that game. He jumped the opening tip, and then spent the rest of the game guarding Bobby Jones or Dr. J. Chones & Landsberger guarded Dawkins
2) He didn't really become a fulltime PG until 82/83. Prior to that year Norm Nixon was the primary ball handler, while Magic was kind of in the role that we saw Daniel Hamilton play for us against Maine (and hopefully henceforth)

I haven't seen Simmons play yet, but he's more NBA ready than Anthony Davis was?
He's a more polished all-around player at the same point in their respective careers. Davis's once-a-decade length and athleticism made him more of a sure thing, though.

With Simmons, I could see a scenario in which he's not quite quick enough to guard 3s, not big, strong & long enough to guard 4s, and becomes the centerpiece of a team that tops out as "very good" instead of "elite." Very good because he's a phenomenal offensive talent and rebounder; not elite because I think you can maaaaaybe game-plan directly at him on the other end. Sort of like Carmelo.

We obviously need to see much more before we know for real, but he's a phenomenal talent.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
This story has sort of evolved over time, and bear in mind that I'm not bashing Magic here. I think he's one of the 5 greatest players ever, and easily the best PG, but:

1) He didn't really play center that game. He jumped the opening tip, and then spent the rest of the game guarding Bobby Jones or Dr. J. Chones & Landsberger guarded Dawkins
2) He didn't really become a fulltime PG until 82/83. Prior to that year Norm Nixon was the primary ball handler, while Magic was kind of in the role that we saw Daniel Hamilton play for us against Maine (and hopefully henceforth)

Good points. The point I was trying to really make was that outside of Lebron I could not think of anyone who had the athleticism and size to do this other than Johnson or at least better than Johnson. While he did play point guard later as you said he did in fact play it and well. At 6-8 or 6-9 with that athleticism (and attitude) I have no doubt that he had the capacity to play
the front court positions. Not great at them perhaps but certainly capable, especially with the money on the table. I think it was really unheard of at that time, something you think you are never going to see again and then...........along comes Lebron!
What's next?!!!
Thanks for the history lesson!

Reaction Score
I think what everyone remembers is he jumped center and then hit the game winner with a center-esque baby sky hook in the post. So even if he sold popcorn the other 47 minutes Magic began and ended the game at Center.

Reaction Score
Simmons put up some pretty solid numbers in a loss to Marquette. I only saw the last play.

Reaction Score
Simmons put up some pretty solid numbers in a loss to Marquette. I only saw the last play.

I watched most of the game. Even with the numbers he put up, he almost seems too willing to defer to teammates, if that seems possible. It bit them on the final play.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
hes the real deal
just needs to be told he is the man and to react like he is the man
great body great moves and a scoring machine - oh yeah - he can bound the ball too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom