Would you make this trade? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Would you make this trade?

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
The 2024 draft will be very intriguing. The mock drafts will rev up soon. The dynamic will be fluid because i suspect it will be much like 2023. A lot of scratches as players use their covid years.

Reaction Score
There was an interesting article in The Athletic after this year's WNBA draft for which 6 WNBA gm's and other front office types were asked anonymously about 2024 potential draftees. When Paige was discussed, the four quoted said that they would not draft her unless she was healthy for the entirety the upcoming season, returned to elite form, and showed growth in her game. Even then there was doubt that Paige would opt for the 2024 draft and I got the feeling that some would not be disappointed for her to be healthy and play college ball for 2 more years.

While following this thread, I got impression that some don't understand how the WNBA draft lottery works as there was discussion about would Minnesota doing a trade with Phoenix to get their pick or Phoenix drafting to replace Diana, implying that the Mercury had the #1 pick. They don't - not yet. The WNBA lottery is based on the four teams that don't make the playoffs, but the chances of getting the #1 pick are based on a 2 year winning percentage. Indiana, because they have been ghastly for so long, have the best shot at 44.2%, the Mercury at 27.6% and the Storm and the last non-playoff team in some sort order depending on who that team is.

JBK

Reaction Score
Bueckers landing in Minnesota would be great for her, a hometown heroine returned. We know that Reeve wants that from statements she has made. My intuition has been this would be good for the WNBA and fans in general, as her beautiful to watch efficiency would be maximized there. However, there is virtually no chance the Lynx can draft her unless a trade can be made. Unfortunately, the only player attractive enough for such a trade is Collier.

If you were the GM with the first pick would you trade your first pick in the draft for Collier? What else would you require? What else might you throw in to get the sure thing in Collier and for the overall benefits of the trade? If you are both a UConn and Lynx fan who and how many would you trade instead of Collier in order to get first crack at Bueckers?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Great brainstorming question ! I think the WNBA would need to see how Paige’s body holds up this year. Both Collier and Caitlin Clark have proven their bodies are very durable.
That is why we are all praying that Azzi and Paige can play an entire season together. If that happens this year - everything will be on the table. They both deserve it
I did not realize how lucky we were with an injury free Stewie for 4 years

Reaction Score
There was an interesting article in The Athletic after this year's WNBA draft for which 6 WNBA gm's and other front office types were asked anonymously about 2024 potential draftees. When Paige was discussed, the four quoted said that they would not draft her unless she was healthy for the entirety the upcoming season, returned to elite form, and showed growth in her game.
I agree with this and I believe the OP took it that way too when he asked the question. Otherwise what's the purpose of the thread? If Paige isn't heallthy it's highly doubtful she is playing elite, which in turn you would never consider trading Napheesa for her.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I second this thought. I suspect she will not leave UConn before Azzi does. Of course, anything is possible. With this in mind, who might be in the first round of the draft alongside her in either of the next two years?

In ‘24, Caitlin, Brink, Holmes, Reese, Cardoso, Rickea, Key, Aaliyah, Aubrey, Aamoore, Déjà Kelly, Osborne, Van Lith…

In ‘25, many of the above plus Azzi, Miles, Citron, Morrow, Soares (if rehab goes well), and then my crystal ball gets fuzzy, if it isn’t way fuzzy already.

My point is Paige will be near the top of either of these lists, though fears of her durability may keep her from the #1 spot. But I suspect whoever drafts her, Paige will end up where she wants to be within a couple years.
This may sound odd but I think the best way to keep Paige with us until 25 is to win the Championship this year. She'll want the possibility of 2 for herself and Azzi.

Reaction Score
There was an interesting article in The Athletic after this year's WNBA draft for which 6 WNBA gm's and other front office types were asked anonymously about 2024 potential draftees. When Paige was discussed, the four quoted said that they would not draft her unless she was healthy for the entirety the upcoming season, returned to elite form, and showed growth in her game. Even then there was doubt that Paige would opt for the 2024 draft and I got the feeling that some would not be disappointed for her to be healthy and play college ball for 2 more years.

While following this thread, I got impression that some don't understand how the WNBA draft lottery works as there was discussion about would Minnesota doing a trade with Phoenix to get their pick or Phoenix drafting to replace Diana, implying that the Mercury had the #1 pick. They don't - not yet. The WNBA lottery is based on the four teams that don't make the playoffs, but the chances of getting the #1 pick are based on a 2 year winning percentage. Indiana, because they have been ghastly for so long, have the best shot at 44.2%, the Mercury at 27.6% and the Storm and the last non-playoff team in some sort order depending on who that team is.

The math is correct only if they actually have a drawing. The fact that it has never been held in public makes me very suspicious. I don't follow the W much at all but I can remember that the Sun had the best or second best chance some years but it was always another team that got the pick. It seemed that whenever the Sun got a really good player like Charles she was gone in a couple of years to a big market team.
Clark and Bueckers will be huge draws wherever they go. And maybe the W will see that shooting and offense is way more popular than rugby scrums and reinterpret the rules to reduce physicality's importance. I peruse youtube daily and it sees that 4 or 5 times a week there are fights among players. It's become the NBA of the 80's, when the Piston's Lambeer or the Lakers' Jackson thrived.

Reaction Score
Bueckers landing in Minnesota would be great for her, a hometown heroine returned. We know that Reeve wants that from statements she has made. My intuition has been this would be good for the WNBA and fans in general, as her beautiful to watch efficiency would be maximized there. However, there is virtually no chance the Lynx can draft her unless a trade can be made. Unfortunately, the only player attractive enough for such a trade is Collier.

If you were the GM with the first pick would you trade your first pick in the draft for Collier? What else would you require? What else might you throw in to get the sure thing in Collier and for the overall benefits of the trade? If you are both a UConn and Lynx fan who and how many would you trade instead of Collier in order to get first crack at Bueckers?

For a healthy Bueckers, I would trade my starting point guard and my sixth man.

Reaction Score
Yeah not too much thoughts on a draft trade to Minnesota. I would've loved for Paige to play for Minnesota with Dorka and Phee, for Cheryl Reeves, but Minnesota actually had quite the season turn around. They are not just a playoff team, but will most likely be in the bottom 6 in terms of draft order.

Definite lottery teams right now are Phoenix, Seattle, and Indiana. TBH, I don't love any of those landing spots for her. Indiana is actually pretty talented, and with Boston, Smith, Grace Berger and Paige. I think they could be a good team. And the market can be quite supportive. I just wish she was going to a bigger market. Phoenix is kind of a mess and same with Seattle. Of course stars had already left, and it would be cool to see Paige go to a franchise where she would have to turn it around. She could be ultra aggressive and take 30 shots a game. I just don't love the husky legend superstars that somewhat loom over her.. Also I don't like how either team is built.

Dallas is probably the funnest team IMO for her to end up. If Chicago doesn't make the playoffs, I think they end up with their lotto pick. Which means that she could get to finally play with Lou. But not only that, they would be a young-loaded team. Sabally, Arike, Paige, Lou, Maddie. On top of that they also have another draft pick. And Mark Cuban would do his best to market her.

LA is pretty close to being in the lottery as well. They are a difficult team to gauge. However, Jordin Canada has played really well this season, and I could see her being paired with Paige. Nneka is still pretty great, and Dearica Hamby will probably be a lot better next season. LA is LA. Probably my second favorite landing spot.

Don't want to jinx it tho. Hope Paige has an incredibly healthy and fun senior year. Will really appreciate every game she plays this season.

Reaction Score
Phoenix would be crazy to pass up a chance at Paige. She is the most plausible replacement for DT. Clark is good but she isn't the same as Paige/DT. Clark is smaller where Paige/DT are bigger.
Paige and Caitlin in the same draft would be something. Based on watching them both I think Clark would be the first pick and she is way closer to DT than Paige. Keep in mind that every team throws two or three players at Caitlin every game and she still scores a ton and led the country in assists. Either though could be a franchise player and future HOFer.

Reaction Score
The two best players available for the draft might be Paige and Caitlin but that doesn't mean they will be the best fit for a team. You have a couple girls that are really tall that are eligible, you will have a couple threes and fours in there too that are very good. Next years class has the potential to be the best ever and every team will get a shot a player that could play a long time and help their team get over the hump.

Reaction Score
The thing about Paige is she is a magnet for publicity and fans. Yes, Caitlin is popular, too. But I don't think she's quite as magnetic. So, yes, I agree, Caitlin is probably a better choice for the #1 pick just in terms of durability and talent. But Paige may be the more important pick (even if she goes in the second round) for any team that gets her and for the league as a whole. Paige simply exudes the sort of charm the league needs.

Reaction Score
The thing about Paige is she is a magnet for publicity and fans. Yes, Caitlin is popular, too. But I don't think she's quite as magnetic. So, yes, I agree, Caitlin is probably a better choice for the #1 pick just in terms of durability and talent. But Paige may be the more important pick (even if she goes in the second round) for any team that gets her and for the league as a whole. Paige simply exudes the sort of charm the league needs.
I'm with you, Bone Dog, and appreciate you accentuating the 'But Paige' sentence in bold so my old eyes could better focus on that cogent point.;)

I'll note that Clark's personality is perhaps not at Paige's magnetic level but is plenty charismatic. For those who have only seen Caitlin play basketball and not checked out her interaction with fans, you should have seen the crowds following her and her Pied Piper effect at this summer's PGA tournament in Iowa when she played the pro-am with Ryder Cup captain Zach Johnson, also an Iowan. It brought out a tournament record crowd and a high percentage were girls of all ages, mostly there to see Caitlin... turns out she's a pretty good stick, too.

Either way, the teams that get Paige and Caitlin will be fortunate.

I'll add, although it's not likely, Caitlin has a fifth year of eligibility, too, and hasn't dismissed the notion of playing for the Hawkeyes in '24-25, when she'll be 23. Could it be the Paige/Caitlin draft question will linger? I wouldn't be unhappy to think we'll have both around for WCBB for another two seasons!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Late to the party, but there is no way I'd trade Paige for Pheesa. Regardless of Paige's injury vulnerabilities, she has the potential to be the next DT/Sue (combo). Pheesa will be an all star and maybe even 1st team all-WNBA, but I don't see her in the same category as Dee, Sue, Maya, Tina, Stewie, Aja, Candace, Tamika, Elena, etc.

Reaction Score

Forgive my cynicism but if the league wants her in Minn a deal will be worked out. Minn gives up their No 1 picks this year and next year along with a journeyman player. Toss in a No 2 pick. Personally I wouldn't ever trade the rights to Bueckers.

It used to be easy for teams to tank for a season and get the top pick, Parker to LA being one example. Nowadays it takes two bad seasons so they will have to work a deal through a trade. The best way would be for the third or 4th worst record to trade their top pick to Minn. The draft lottery is done behind closed doors so there's no problem. Anyone who thinks that the WNBA draft hasn't been fixed to some extent over the years is being naive.

Reaction Score
Once again, BYers just can't seem to come to grips with how good Caitlin Clark is. Not only has she accomplished so much more than the injury-plagued Paige on the court over three seasons, she's the much better bet to enjoy a long WNBA career.

Like all of us here, I'll be rooting hard for Paige and keeping my fingers crossed, for the Huskies' sake and for mine as a UConn fan. Yet I'm pretty sure I'd put my franchise's future in the hands of the durable, more strongly built Caitlin than Paige for that very reason.

As for drawing in the fans, as much as we cherish every second we get to watch Paige play, won't WNBA fans flock to see Caitlin do her thing?

Selfishly, I'm just hoping both stay healthy so I have that much more reason to watch WNBA games in the future.

As for your 'smaller' statement, DEpup, I'll echo nwhoopfan: while it seems Paige has grown a bit, I believe she's likely a half-inch to an inch shorter than Clark. No matter, really, both are tall enough and are good rebounders, to boot, to be all-timers as WNBA point guards.

Clark and Bueckers are both historical shooters/scorers and they are both aggressive and supremely confident. I haven't seen Clark enough to compare her ball-handling.
The clear difference that I see is that Clark's first thought is to find a shot and shoot while Bueckers' first thought is to find an open teammate and pass to them. That's why I think Bueckers is a more valuable player. If you want the scoring champ on your team then take Clark. If it's a title then Bueckers is the one. If you are a fan the choice is plain but if you own the franchise your goals may be different.

Reaction Score

Can you explain why the drawing is held behind closed doors? To me there is only one reason.

Reaction Score
Can you explain why the drawing is held behind closed doors? To me there is only one reason.
Although I didn't see it, the lottery selection was televised by ESPN on November 11 before the South Carolina/Maryland game, Phee was the Minnesota rep at the drawing.

Reaction Score
Clark and Bueckers are both historical shooters/scorers and they are both aggressive and supremely confident. I haven't seen Clark enough to compare her ball-handling.
The clear difference that I see is that Clark's first thought is to find a shot and shoot while Bueckers' first thought is to find an open teammate and pass to them. That's why I think Bueckers is a more valuable player. If you want the scoring champ on your team then take Clark. If it's a title then Bueckers is the one. If you are a fan the choice is plain but if you own the franchise your goals may be different.
And yet, Alydar, Clark has been the national leader in assists for three seasons, even beating Paige during her NPOY season. As you kinda said, you need to watch Caitlin play more. She did lead her team, surely a lesser team than Paige played on in '20-21, to the '22-23 national title game. I have the feeling Clark will chalk up plenty of assists in the WNBA, too.

I wouldn't argue that Clark looks for her shot more quickly than Paige does but, unfortunately, as Geno well knows, doesn't pretty much everyone (except, perhaps, Nika)? Yet to call Caitlin purely a shoot-first player is not accurate. She is a brilliant ballhandler and passer.

Sorry, diggerfoot, I've strayed again from the topic.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
She did lead her team, surely a lesser team than Paige played on in '20-21, to the '22-23 national title game.
Exactly. Several of Paige's teammates from that year have already played in the WNBA, and surely there will be several more in the coming years. It's very likely NONE of Caitlin's teammates from the runner up team will ever play in the W. That tells me everything I need to know about Clark, and let's me very easily dismiss any of her naysayers.

Reaction Score
Lol. I never intended this to be a Bueckers v Clark comparison or discussion, but the BY will go where it wants to go. :p:p:p
This Is How We Do It Football GIF by State Farm
:);)

Reaction Score
Questions about Paige after college are sort of inseparable from analogies to Caitlin. I don’t even want to think of Paige leaving so Caitlin is sort of like a stalking horse so I don’t have to face it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom