Would you make this trade? | The Boneyard

Would you make this trade?

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Bueckers landing in Minnesota would be great for her, a hometown heroine returned. We know that Reeve wants that from statements she has made. My intuition has been this would be good for the WNBA and fans in general, as her beautiful to watch efficiency would be maximized there. However, there is virtually no chance the Lynx can draft her unless a trade can be made. Unfortunately, the only player attractive enough for such a trade is Collier.

If you were the GM with the first pick would you trade your first pick in the draft for Collier? What else would you require? What else might you throw in to get the sure thing in Collier and for the overall benefits of the trade? If you are both a UConn and Lynx fan who and how many would you trade instead of Collier in order to get first crack at Bueckers?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
First of all, the Lynx will not trade Collier, as they have been building the team around her. As for the team with the first pick, I would not trade that pick unless there were 2 elite young players offered. With the kind of talent at the top of next years draft, I don't believe there will be any movement from the lottery teams.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
First of all, the Lynx will not trade Collier, as they have been building the team around her. As for the team with the first pick, I would not trade that pick unless there were 2 elite young players offered. With the kind of talent at the top of next years draft, I don't believe there will be any movement from the lottery teams.
Your point is well taken and I suspect you are right. Still, I am sure the Storm planned to build their team around Stewart, the difference being that the Lynx is likely a more attractive franchise for a UConn player to remain committed.

We also do not know for sure at this point which draft Bueckers will be in and who the other choices will be. But even if Bueckers goes in the ‘26 draft, the latest possibility for her, I do not see the Lynx tanking enough for two years straight to be in the lottery for her.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Known WNBA super elite star and the best of human beings on and off the court, loved by teammates and fans, physical stamina and seems to not suffer from injuries. A world class player and human being.....

Only consider the trade if 1) Paige again consistently demonstrates her elite play with ongoing improvement, 2) Paige avoids serious injuries the rest of her UConn stay - showing she is not "injury prone", 3) Collier is not willing to make a long-term contractual agreement to remain the face of the Lynx

Reaction Score
We also do not know for sure at this point which draft Bueckers will be in and who the other choices will be.
I second this thought. I suspect she will not leave UConn before Azzi does. Of course, anything is possible. With this in mind, who might be in the first round of the draft alongside her in either of the next two years?

In ‘24, Caitlin, Brink, Holmes, Reese, Cardoso, Rickea, Key, Aaliyah, Aubrey, Aamoore, Déjà Kelly, Osborne, Van Lith…

In ‘25, many of the above plus Azzi, Miles, Citron, Morrow, Soares (if rehab goes well), and then my crystal ball gets fuzzy, if it isn’t way fuzzy already.

My point is Paige will be near the top of either of these lists, though fears of her durability may keep her from the #1 spot. But I suspect whoever drafts her, Paige will end up where she wants to be within a couple years.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Phoenix would be crazy to pass up a chance at Paige. She is the most plausible replacement for DT. Clark is good but she isn't the same as Paige/DT. Clark is smaller where Paige/DT are bigger.
Not sure what you mean by the last sentence, but agree with the first.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I wouldn’t make that trade if I were the GM of either team. Minnesota is built around Collier, she’s a huge draw and known quantity. Whoever gets Paige will get a bigger draw than Pheesa and a potential game changer.

But then I still can’t get my head around the Red Sox letting Mookie go.

Reaction Score
Phoenix would be crazy to pass up a chance at Paige. She is the most plausible replacement for DT. Clark is good but she isn't the same as Paige/DT. Clark is smaller where Paige/DT are bigger.
Not sure what you mean by the last sentence, but agree with the first.
Once again, BYers just can't seem to come to grips with how good Caitlin Clark is. Not only has she accomplished so much more than the injury-plagued Paige on the court over three seasons, she's the much better bet to enjoy a long WNBA career.

Like all of us here, I'll be rooting hard for Paige and keeping my fingers crossed, for the Huskies' sake and for mine as a UConn fan. Yet I'm pretty sure I'd put my franchise's future in the hands of the durable, more strongly built Caitlin than Paige for that very reason.

As for drawing in the fans, as much as we cherish every second we get to watch Paige play, won't WNBA fans flock to see Caitlin do her thing?

Selfishly, I'm just hoping both stay healthy so I have that much more reason to watch WNBA games in the future.

As for your 'smaller' statement, DEpup, I'll echo nwhoopfan: while it seems Paige has grown a bit, I believe she's likely a half-inch to an inch shorter than Clark. No matter, really, both are tall enough and are good rebounders, to boot, to be all-timers as WNBA point guards.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Once again, BYers just can't seem to come to grips with how good Caitlin Clark is. Not only has she accomplished so much more than the injury-plagued Paige on the court over three seasons, she's the much better bet to enjoy a long WNBA career.

Like all of us here, I'll be rooting hard for Paige and keeping my fingers crossed, for the Huskies' sake and for mine as a UConn fan. Yet I'm pretty sure I'd put my franchise's future in the hands of the durable, more strongly built Caitlin than Paige for that very reason.

As for drawing in the fans, as much as we cherish every second we get to watch Paige play, won't WNBA fans flock to see Caitlin do her thing?

Selfishly, I'm just hoping both stay healthy so I have that much more reason to watch WNBA games in the future.

As for your 'smaller' statement, DEpup, I'll echo nwhoopfan: while it seems Paige has grown a bit, I believe she's likely a half-inch to an inch shorter than Clark. No matter, really, both are tall enough and are good rebounders, to boot, to be all-timers as WNBA point guards.
Your concerns about longevity are very legitimate, though not always considered in hypotheticals, but ….

Why would the Lynx ever consider using a draft pick for Clark over Bueckers? Even assuming Clark is better than Bueckers, the latter is from Minnesota, the Lynx loves UConn players and Reeve already stated she would strive to land Bueckers.

I am afraid you: 1) did not understand the question; 2) are so sensitive to hyperbolic support for Bueckers on a UConn forum you seek too hard to counterbalance that.

Reaction Score
This is for @The deacon @DEpup and @diggerfoot and everyone else here: As far as I can tell, Paige and Caitlin are the same size. Both teams goosed the height numbers for them recently. Are they 6'0" or 5'11"? Neither is 6'1" clearly. I don't think it matters. Both are lanky and long-limbed and both have muscled up over the past couple years.

What's distinctive about them and they both share is supreme confidence on the court, excellent finishing skills, and a fine eye for passing. They both also have a keen sense of the moment when their teams need a boost, a dagger from 3, a steal, a blocked shot, etc. Personally, I think Paige's trajectory when she entered college pointed to slightly greater things than Caitlin's did -- mainly because I think she has a more winning personality -- but the difference was small, and it has certainly been overshadowed by the fact that Paige's injuries render all such speculation merely hypothetical.

As I said above, Paige will end up where she wants to be sooner or later. No trade will be necessary to get her to Minnesota if that's where she wants to be.

One last observation: how odd that two such great and similar players came on the scene at the same time. They're like "Sith Lords." There's never just one.

Good Morning Dancing GIF by Justin Gammon

Reaction Score
Your concerns about longevity are very legitimate, though not always considered in hypotheticals, but ….

Why would the Lynx ever consider using a draft pick for Clark over Bueckers? Even assuming Clark is better than Bueckers, the latter is from Minnesota, the Lynx loves UConn players and Reeve already stated she would strive to land Bueckers.

I am afraid you: 1) did not understand the question; 2) are so sensitive to hyperbolic support for Bueckers on a UConn forum you seek too hard to counterbalance that.
Thanks for your thoughts, diggerfoot.

In response, I was answering DEpup's suggestion that Phoenix (or probably any other team other than Minnesota) would be better served drafting Caitlin ahead of Paige. If it were Minny's pick, I would expect it would go for Paige.

As for your concerns about me: 1) it wouldn't be the first time I didn't understand a question;). In this case, I had forgotten the Collier angle; 2) quite possibly true. I should be able to roll with such hyperbole, but I can't help myself sometimes.:) My apologies.

Reaction Score

Clark is unquestionably a great player and currently the obvious #1 pick in the draft. However, she’s not better than a fully healthy Paige! Clark’s durability will be a huge selling point for WNBA general managers. If Paige has a healthy year though and plays like she did in her freshman year, I don’t really know what will happen. Let’s just say the #2 choice is going to be the most attractive #2 in WNBA history! I personally believe Paige will be staying for another season and (assuming full health) will be the presumptive #1 in 2025.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
You are assuming Paige will turn pro after this coming season is over. That may not be the case.

Though Paige should be great with the Lynx, I would not make the trade with Phoenix. Phee is too valuable to the Lynx and Phoenix is going to ask and arm and a leg for that draft pick. The trade would cause the Lynx to rebuild all over again. Not worth it.

Reaction Score
No comment on the trade.

I do have an interesting twist. The 12 WNBA teams should change the draft and pick college teams (with only the players who have declared being eligible). One round. This would be really cool for a year or so.

Thoughts? It could produce an instant super team (think Paige, Azzi, AE, Nika and Aubrey). Dayamm

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No comment on the trade.

I do have an interesting twist. The 12 WNBA teams should change the draft and pick college teams (with only the players who have declared being eligible). One round. This would be really cool for a year or so.

Thoughts? It could produce an instant super team (think Paige, Azzi, AE, Nika and Aubrey). Dayamm
Nika?

Reaction Score
My point is that Clark

Y'all can say whatever you want. I've watched a lot of Clark and think she's great at the 1-2 guard positions. 6' is generous. I've seen her live.

Clark does not and I don't care what you whine about play the same 6' game that DT plays! Still a great traditional guard game, just not the positionless G/F DT game. I believe Paige can be that point forward role that DT plays at PHX. We are going to see it this year with Nika and Azzi along side her. Mark my words.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score

Keeping it real
Players Association Sport GIF by NBPA

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I wouldn't trade Phee for anyone other than Wilson or Stewie. However, Minnesota may be able to package some players that could be a trade for Paige--say McBride plus Powers and/or Shepard.

Reaction Score
When Bueckers was still in high school parents were driving 5 hours so their kids could watch her play. Hopkins played to full gyms every game, home and away in Bueckers' last 2 years. Bueckers would fill the arena.

As revenue-starved as the W is it is in the best interests of the league to have Bueckers in Minn. And she would only be there in the summer and summers in MInn are a lot nicer than in Phoenix.

Reaction Score
My point is that Clark

Y'all can say whatever you want. I've watched a lot of Clark and think she's great at the 1-2 guard positions. 6' is generous. I've seen her live.

Clark does not and I don't care what you whine about play the same 6' game that DT plays! Still a great traditional guard game, just not the positionless G/F DT game. I believe Paige can be that point forward role that DT plays at PHX. We are going to see it this year with Nika and Azzi along side her. Mark my words.
Will do, DEpup, and I promise to whine less in coming posts.:(

Reaction Score
Bueckers landing in Minnesota would be great for her, a hometown heroine returned. We know that Reeve wants that from statements she has made. My intuition has been this would be good for the WNBA and fans in general, as her beautiful to watch efficiency would be maximized there. However, there is virtually no chance the Lynx can draft her unless a trade can be made. Unfortunately, the only player attractive enough for such a trade is Collier.

If you were the GM with the first pick would you trade your first pick in the draft for Collier? What else would you require? What else might you throw in to get the sure thing in Collier and for the overall benefits of the trade? If you are both a UConn and Lynx fan who and how many would you trade instead of Collier in order to get first crack at Bueckers?

Inquiring minds want to know.
If I were Minny I would make the trade (ofc assuming PB is healthy and shows she is a college superstar in which the injury issue is behind her.). However, if I were the team with the pick to take PB, I wouldn't trade the pick. I'm getting a younger superstar. You can't give me enough. Now that I have Paige if I were a GM - I assume the GM would be confident enough in their own ability to build a tremendous team in time with Paige leading the way.

Not sure how this delved into Paige vs Caitlin. But anyhow, if Paige plays like I mention above, you don't trade that pick.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom