OT: - Worst Song of All Time | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Worst Song of All Time

Reaction Score
I love that song and the song isn't about what you think it's about.

Mardones had an incredible voice, RIP.

I wish that we would come to a point where people didn’t always rush to judgment. Sometimes things aren’t always as they seem, even if we want to fit them into a narrow narrative that we have.

And ironically, this works in all directions. The song by The Police, “ every breath you take,“ is considered a great love song, and in fact is used regularly at weddings. However, the writer of the song, Sting, says the song is about stalking.

Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen was made the unofficial state song for New Jersey. Bruce says this is pretty funny considering the song is about trying to get the hell out of New Jersey.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
The No. 1 worst song as voted by CNN.com users in 2006, the song was criticized for its perceived patronizing take on pregnancy from the expecting father's point of view.
Along the same lines, I think women would find this song pretentious, not to mention arrogant.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Not sure which is worse, the sound or the lyrics. You decide.

Reaction Score
While I don't consider myself a fan, Michael Jackson definitely has songs I like, but one that makes me change the station every single time is "Don't Stop Til You Get Enough". Ugh, can't stand it!!

Reaction Score
How about "You Light Up My Life"? What a clunker that was. If I never hear it again it will be too soon. Couldn't change the station quickly enough when that one came on. "The Christmas Shoes" is right down there too...
To me, that song compares to Isn’t She Lovely by Stevie Wonder. Those two songs drive me bananas!! I guess it’s because my mom dragged me to everyone of my sister’s beauty pageants back in the 80’s. :mad:

Reaction Score
I love that song and the song isn't about what you think it's about.

Mardones had an incredible voice, RIP.

I wish that we would come to a point where people didn’t always rush to judgment. Sometimes things aren’t always as they seem, even if we want to fit them into a narrow narrative that we have.

And ironically, this works in all directions. The song by The Police, “ every breath you take,“ is considered a great love song, and in fact is used regularly at weddings. However, the writer of the song, Sting, says the song is about stalking.

I've heard the interview and I'd find it a lot more believable if Benny didn't cast himself as the main character who makes out with the 16 year-old on the carpet. To follow his narrative, he'd be the guy watching his buddy and telling him to leave her alone. A visual narrative (the official music video) that he released and follows the lyrics is more compelling to me than a 30-years-later interview (that sounds more like revisionist history once conventional wisdom helped people realize that 16 year-olds were still girls).

(And I've never even imagined that "Every Breath You Take" was about anything else other than stalking. Never knew people thought it was a love song. Maybe they're the same people who also think "Don't You Want Me" by Human League was also a love song and not a threat to a woman who's broken up with the singer/narrator.)

But that's just my opinion. You've got yours. C'est la vie.

Reaction Score
Seems like many of you are basing these songs on lyrics much more than tunes. I’m all about the sound & melody. I actually like a lot of the songs mentioned in this thread.

I like popular songs from the ‘60s through the ‘90s. What I hate most now is modern “music” (post-2000 on). The rap, hip-hop, doctored vocals, all-attitude-in-your-face style of utter crap that teens listen to or what you hear blaring out of some idiot’s car with a bass that could be measured by seismologists as a small earthquake. Would rather listen to Baby Shark on a loop than that crap.

I know I sound like a dinosaur but most all of today’s music is complete and total garbage, with the exception of some artists that actually SING SONGS.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Seems like many of you are basing these songs on lyrics much more than tunes. I’m all about the sound & melody. I actually like a lot of the songs mentioned in this thread.

I like popular songs from the ‘60s through the ‘90s. What I hate most now is modern “music” (post-2000 on). The rap, hip-hop, doctored vocals, all-attitude-in-your-face style of utter crap that teens listen to or what you hear blaring out of some idiot’s car with a bass that could be measured by seismologists as a small earthquake. Would rather listen to Baby Shark on a loop than that crap.

I know I sound like a dinosaur but most all of today’s music is complete and total garbage, with the exception of some artists that actually SING SONGS.
When I was growing up in the '60s, '70s and '80s, my parents, most of their friends and basically that generation said the same thing about the music I listened to. Man, when The Beatles made their first appearance on Ed Sullivan, they thought that we were being invaded by aliens from outer space. Same with Elvis. :)

Reaction Score

I agree about sound and melody although I think another poster's listing as worst a song with lyrical content about unity and acceptance like "Imagine" is rather cynical, but we're all entitled to our opinions. "Hallelujah" is interesting because I find the lyrics a little confusing and certainly open to the listener's interpretation. However, MTV ran Jeff Buckley's version of it on a loop immediately after 9/11 along with scenes of the carnage. I thought the melody and chorus were uplifting and hopeful and, because of the context presented at the time, I still feel that way today; the lyrical content of the verses didn't make a difference and still doesn't. In fact, I couldn't recite one line. I think that supports your point.

Reaction Score
Viet Vet at #37 "Turn Me Loose" reminded me of "Tiger" by the same Fabulous Flop.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

Just as with most eras, the popular music is the lowest common denominator. I agree that it's been a very low common denominator for the last couple of decades, but I pretty much turned off the radio when I was 12 because I couldn't stand any of the radio music this side of WPKN in Bridgeport. But there is some brilliant music being made now just as there was in the 70's and even the 80's.

So for the lyrics, I don't think anybody beats this one. I know I said I wouldn't post any 70's pop music, but your post brought to mind this 13-word "gem". (I actually like the Billy Preston version, which has verses.)

Reaction Score
If my Dad (1921 - 1983) were posting he would nominate this song. He always told me how much his Dad (whom I never knew) hated this song, and how he flung this 78 record across the room. The full title was "Barney Google with the goo-goo-googily eyes. (Almost 100 years before google was a household brand.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom