Worst refs ever? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Worst refs ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From my vantage point in the stands, the 3 GTown hit with about a minute left in OT looked like a clear, his foot was half way across the line 2. Seeing as they didn't even review it I may be wrong but it looked really obvious to me.

But yeah they blew plenty of calls both ways, all around bad.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
on the next to last possession in the 2nd OT, was Omar mugged?

it looked like he was hit in the body by one guy and another took his arms off the ball, play on

but sometimes replays make the refs look a lot better

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
From my vantage point in the stands, the 3 GTown hit with about a minute left in OT looked like a clear, his foot was half way across the line 2. Seeing as they didn't even review it I may be wrong but it looked really obvious to me.

But yeah they blew plenty of calls both ways, all around bad.

I agree. From where I was sitting at Gampel it also looked like his foot was on the line. I was screaming for the refs to review it. Would be interested to see a replay.

Reaction Score
I agree. From where I was sitting at Gampel it also looked like his foot was on the line. I was screaming for the refs to review it. Would be interested to see a replay.
It was so weird. Like they literally stopped the game while GTown was bringing the ball up after we hit one to review, then they had a TO right after it happened and didn't take a look. I did see a ref look at the replay official and the replay official held up his hands to say "this much" like a football ref after checking the chains. Was probably about that play.

Reaction Score
The whole play stunk! Smith-Rivera should never have been wide open. But the refs missing a game changing call which they could have reviewed really would sting. However even if he shot from inside the lane, they probably would have reviewed it and called it a 3. I base this assumption on prior review of Giffey's flagrant escaping a head lock.

Reaction Score
I was watching the whole Niels play unfold and when it ended with Niels making contact with the dude's head I was like "well, that's all that matters when they review this play in 3 minutes."

Reaction Score
I learned something new tonight: You can get from a step inside the three point line to the basket without dribbling and it's not a travel.
There was even one play where Omar took about 4 steps including A hop step and it was never called. Unfortunately he blew the bunny layup due to his laughter after not getting caught.

Reaction Score
Shabazz got called for a travel that wasn't, on the fake pass put the ball on your hip.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
I don't know about worst refs ever but they were maddeningly inconsistent with their calls and it led to pretty choppy play. I'm also unsure how they could call a flagrant 1 on Giffey after watching that tape -- looked purely inadvertent to me.

And it's kind of unreal how they play favorites -- Olander is frequently on the wrong side of a lot of calls. His third foul was phantom, and he got absolutely hammered on a dunk with no whistle.

Reaction Score
I don't know about worst refs ever but they were maddeningly inconsistent with their calls and it led to pretty choppy play. I'm also unsure how they could call a flagrant 1 on Giffey after watching that tape -- looked purely inadvertent to me.

And it's kind of unreal how they play favorites -- Olander is frequently on the wrong side of a lot of calls. His third foul was phantom, and he got absolutely hammered on a dunk with no whistle.

My biggest issues were RJ Evans and Ryan Boatright getting hacked and bodied hard on layups. Lubick pounded them and sent them sprawling. No calls.

Reaction Score
I think it was an evenly called game. Yes they did miss the travel that led to the held ball and when the Giffey thing happened, before they even reviewed it, I turned to my brother and said hes about to get a flagrant called on him because he swung his hand and got him in the face. Unfortunately thats the rules in place and and emphasis this year in college basketball (anything above the shoulders).

The downfall all started at the 2:00 mark when Bazz instead of slowing it down and running clock decided to try making an unnecessary pass. From that point on things went south and the offense looked out of sync. Mostly because Bazz was limited in what he could do since he was favoring his foot the whole time. He has tons of heart and played through it but he was clearly bothered by it the rest of the game from the time he went down early on.

You have to give credit to Gtown and Otto.

Its was a real tough loss that came down to late game execution which they failed at while Gtown did execute.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I seriously can't remember the last time I've seen us get screwed like this, it's tough to watch.

I really have no idea. But I am fairly certain, had we won, the first post on HoyaSaxa would have been, "worst refs ever?"

It's probably the most common post on a site after a loss.

Reaction Score
Both ways they were tough but aren't they always......?

I will say this, how can they keep going to the tape to make calls on what they missed? And how do they disregard the fact the guy had his arm around Giff's neck prior to the shot by Giffey? That call was to put it mildly pitiful!

Reaction Score
It was so weird. Like they literally stopped the game while GTown was bringing the ball up after we hit one to review, then they had a TO right after it happened and didn't take a look. I did see a ref look at the replay official and the replay official held up his hands to say "this much" like a football ref after checking the chains. Was probably about that play.

Maybe it was payback for not reviewing Cottons 3 a few weeks ago ;)

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
My biggest issues were RJ Evans and Ryan Boatright getting hacked and bodied hard on layups. Lubick pounded them and sent them sprawling. No calls.

banging our guards has become acceptable, they just don't get the calls in the paint

first noticed that in the Louisville game, hasn't changed since

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
The Giffey flagrant 1 was annoying. Why is it that the cameras had the entire play followed in real time and not one ref saw it in real time? As the announcers said it wasn't until JTIII yelled flagrant foul that the refs chose to stop play and review. What I saw was Giffey's arm grabbed and held and in trying to get unheld smacked the guys nose. That was a tough loss.

Reaction Score
It isn't right but the only part that is reviewable is the contact to the head of a player. Anything else that happens before that, apparently including wrapping your arm around another player's neck, is not reviewable.

It's like reviewing a catch in the NFL. They cannot go back and say, "It was incomplete BUT there was pass interference on the play."

I don't agree with it but it is the rule.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I hear you but still? What if instead of the back of the hand hitting the nose rather a finger jabs the eye. Still flagrant 1?

Reaction Score
I hear you but still? What if instead of the back of the hand hitting the nose rather a finger jabs the eye. Still flagrant 1?

Like all rules, there is area for interpretation.

The NCAA defines a flagrant 1 as "non-excessive contact with an opponent above the shoulders" according to the NCAA press release from May 2011.

Reaction Score
It isn't right but the only part that is reviewable is the contact to the head of a player. Anything else that happens before that, apparently including wrapping your arm around another player's neck, is not reviewable.

It's like reviewing a catch in the NFL. They cannot go back and say, "It was incomplete BUT there was pass interference on the play."

I don't agree with it but it is the rule.

This can't be correct. If I'm slamming you and cause your arm to hit me in the face, that's not your fault. I'm not saying they should have called a foul on Giffey, but he was being held and simply tried to get away. It's not about intent. It's about having control of his limbs. He didn't have control of them since the other player was holding him down.

Reaction Score
I wish being put in a headlock wasn't considered a flagrant foul.

When they watched it on the 10 in monitor it clearly showed Giffey trying to headbut the Georgetown player's armpit and then connecting with a 3-punch combination.

Reaction Score
This can't be correct. If I'm slamming you and cause your arm to hit me in the face, that's not your fault. I'm not saying they should have called a foul on Giffey, but he was being held and simply tried to get away. It's not about intent. It's about having control of his limbs. He didn't have control of them since the other player was holding him down.

Did they originally even call a foul?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
on the next to last possession in the 2nd OT, was Omar mugged?

it looked like he was hit in the body by one guy and another took his arms off the ball, play on

but sometimes replays make the refs look a lot better

Had a pretty good view, he got hit but it looked like he tried to drive right through the defender, he really had nowhere to go. So I don't mind a no call because if anything, he kind of tried to squeeze in-between two guys when there was no room.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
I just watched the 2nd half and the OTs again...

What stuck out the most to me about the officiating was the amount of hand-checking Georgetown got away with on our guards in the end of the game.

My biggest issues with the officials:

-The possession we got the ball back in 2OT with 4 on the shot clock... Calhoun gets KILLED underneath going up for a shot. Ball flies in the air away from the rim and the shot clock goes off, officals call shot-clock violation. It was a clear foul and Omar should have been going to the line.

-Otto Porter, while a gifted player, clearly walked on that last game-winning drive to the hoop. I played it in slow-mo on my DVR, clear travel. But he made the move so fluidly that it wasn't called (much like how players get away with it in the NBA).

Tough game to lose, still proud of the kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom