Worst Coached UConn game since I have been a fan of the Huskies | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Worst Coached UConn game since I have been a fan of the Huskies

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Joe Namath beat the Oakland raiders in the afl championship game after 3 girls a bottle of Johnny black and 45 minutes of sleep. And that’s ON the field. What’s your point again?
piker.lol.

Reaction Score
That is a good one.

Remember when Ollie won a National Championship? I do.

You mean that season when we had the best player in the country and couldn't beat a dreadful Houston team on the road? Yeah I remember, I remember all of the detail, you just remember the highlights.

Reaction Score
Joe Namath beat the Oakland raiders in the afl championship game after 3 girls a bottle of Johnny black and 45 minutes of sleep. And that’s ON the field. What’s your point again?
That was considered a boring night staying in for basically every night of Marvin "Bad News" Barnes career.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You mean that season when we had the best player in the country and couldn't beat a dreadful Houston team on the road? Yeah I remember, I remember all of the detail, you just remember the highlights.

So winning a National Championship doesn't count because of a loss to Houston. Got it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The point i'm trying to make is it is way too early to jump ship, otherwise known as pulling a Nelson.

Are the two options blind loyalty or wanting him to go? Hurley coached a terrible game against Cincinnati. That is a fact. I provided a lot of examples of exactly how the coaching was bad. Better players aren't going to fix what happened against Cincinnati. Hurley has to get his act together as a game coach.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I have no solution for this

And yet you proclaimed it the worst you ever saw. I would assume the worst ever coaching performance would have at least of couple of obvious fixes.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

One could party and get it done, one could not.

Reaction Score
Ya’ll pounded the drum for Hurley. Now ya want to throw him overboard. Perhaps some of you should have applied for the head coach job... support him, you’re not helping. The program is on an upswing. The coaches and players would like your support, and they deserve it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
And yet you proclaimed it the worst you ever saw. I would assume the worst ever coaching performance would have at least of couple of obvious fixes.

Everyone else is wrong, and you are correct that Hurley coached a marvelous game against Cincinnati. It was a masterpiece in game management that will be the basis for textbooks on coaching.

Reaction Score
Everyone else is wrong, and you are correct that Hurley coached a marvelous game against Cincinnati. It was a masterpiece in game management that will be the basis for textbooks on coaching.

And you had the stones to say someone else sucks at straw men?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Funster only sees things in taking cheap shots at other posters for applause.

Applause not necessary...no really, its not...ok thanks!

The post you quoted was not a cheap shot. It was an observation, quite similar to the post that references straw men by Excalibur

Reaction Score
My first thought after the Cincinnati loss was how awful it must to be Hurley’s wife when he got home.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I start after the Perno era, so maybe he had some stinkers, but neither Calhoun nor Ollie ever were as unprepared for a game as what we just saw. We have covered the offensive issues ad nauseum, but there are still secondary rotation issues on defense. When our help defender steps to the penetrator, they were wide open on the block all game long.

Cincinnati jumped on UConn out of the gate, and Hurley had no answer. Going into this game, Cincinnati was 7-5, with losses to Bowling Green and Colgate at home. And they just kicked Hurley's butt. This is also the second time this season that a first year head coach that is still learning his own team has totally outcoached Hurley.

I have no solution for this, but Hurley has got to get his act together. UConn is not the job for a coach that needs training wheels.

I disagree, Ollie had some real clunkers. I think an expression frequently used around here was "coaching malpractice "

We couldn't rebound, we'd lose multiple games to mid majors seemingly every year after 2014

As for Perno, c'mon man, we didn't even know what good coaching was at that time in our history

Reaction Score
I agree, I think this team is better than they played today. I dont think Hurley could've done anything to stop Gilbert and Carlton from having the performances they had.
Gilbert has shown a propensity for this performance level numerous times already this season. Unfortunately not much can be done short of sitting him. I didn’t think guard play would be the negative it appears to be.
Carlton is a different story. Against good opponents you can’t run your offense through him. He’s slow and sedentary. Let him hang around the paint and get you 10-12 per game. He has to be able to make the occasional 3 footers consistently.
Sure was an ugly game to watch!

Reaction Score
I don’t blame Hurley for players not doing what the coach has taught. The idea that he never taught boxing out or didn’t practice the playbook, or have the opponent properly scouted does not wash. At some point the players and their lack of skill have to take the blame. They are 3 star players or worse except for a 5 star ruined by injuries. Too many holes in too many of the players on this roster. (Not talking freshman).

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I agree, I think this team is better than they played today. I dont think Hurley could've done anything to stop Gilbert and Carlton from having the performances they had.
Benching kinda does that, but yeah, they were bad.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom