Worst Coached UConn game since I have been a fan of the Huskies | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Worst Coached UConn game since I have been a fan of the Huskies

Reaction Score
Based on the 'Hurley Hyperbole' I'm seeing, lots of people will be shocked at how much better the offense looks with good point guard play, and an upgrade at SG. Yall ain't seeing the improvements in this years team? Calhoun would've lost too, it's the players.
Well starting down 12 to 2 I would respectfully submit I missed the improvement. I knew it would be tough on the road but would like to avoid being blown out at the tip. I suppose this is where we are for this year and next.

Reaction Score
A bigger and stronger team who has been preparing for their conference opener at home since Dec 21 ( last game). Prepared for almost 2 weeks. And executed their plan very well.

-We lack ball handlers- they started intense ball pressure.
- Polly- gave him no room to breath
- Carlton- soft and slow made him defend away from basket.
- freshman were shocked in first true road game- Akok dropping passes etc.

From the tip jumped on us for the first 5 mins and put us in our heels chasing 15 points. Once we are down teams know we are like a beaten dog we will run into the corner and hide or take careless shots. On top of that unlike us they know how to win.

The biggest problem I had was Bouk was doing well there for a while making stuff happen and Hurley pulled him and put the sloppy starters back in. We slowed instantly

Reaction Score
I don’t know if anyone’s said this, but these players gave up a minute into this game. No competitiveness from anyone and that goes for everyone. If UConn loses this badly again I have no idea when UConn will bounce back again.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Remember when Ollie was in the passenger section drinking and dancing when he should have been piloting the plane? I do.
I saw him tanked at Grants late one Saturday night before a Sunday noon game.

Coaching hungover must be hard.

Reaction Score
What struck me during the game was how bad the spacing was between UConn players (usually too close together) and how the ball handler and the potential pass receiver seemed to be frozen in place and neither moved to free up themselves or the passing lane. I'd settle for the 2 guys frozen in the deep corners to cut to/towards foul line or other corner and come back or continue or something to make the defense take note of them rather than just standing there.
What I would expect was "ah these guys are doing ball denial and over playing passing lanes and dribbler; so lets go to offensive scheme xyz and take advantage of this". Saw none of this, more of "player with ball thinking what should I do and what will my teammate do so we can coordinate to beat this pressure, need to have a plan".
This is on the coaching.

Reaction Score
What struck me during the game was how bad the spacing was between UConn players (usually too close together) and how the ball handler and the potential pass receiver seemed to be frozen in place and neither moved to free up themselves or the passing lane. I'd settle for the 2 guys frozen in the deep corners to cut to/towards foul line or other corner and come back or continue or something to make the defense take note of them rather than just standing there.
What I would expect was "ah these guys are doing ball denial and over playing passing lanes and dribbler; so lets go to offensive scheme xyz and take advantage of this". Saw none of this, more of "player with ball thinking what should I do and what will my teammate do so we can coordinate to beat this pressure, need to have a plan".
This is on the coaching.
Our guys were running into each other at times.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
And, Whaley does not have the ability to match up. Whaley was giving up 4" and 5" and 40 lbs to the Cinci bigs.
Whaley blocked their shots and forced pass-outs repeatedly.

Reaction Score
So he didn't win a national championship?

He won a championship and coached brilliantly his first two years. Then his last four years he lost the drive to recruit and develop players. KO in 2012-13 and 13-14 vs KO 14-15-17-18 were night and day. KO's teams the last two years were never prepared to play.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
The only way to make that work is to use Akok or Polley as the screener, so that AG can just kick it back to them for a 3, or they could then quickly send it to a shooter in the corners.
Something I've been asking for, Polley for pick and pop, and Akok can either pop or roll to the hoop. I'd also like to see more big to big screens on the baseline, which would give Gilbert someone to feed.

Reaction Score
He needs to call a timeout in the first couple min and reset his club. Why does he wait til the under 16?
And he needed to get Bouknight in the game much earlier than the 12 minute mark. That can’t happen again with the lack of scoring talent on this team.

Reaction Score
I keep reading "Low Basketball IQ" on this board, but no one defines what that means. Carlton catching the first pass of the offense 25 feet from the basket doesn't mean Carlton has a low basketball IQ, it means he is running a stupid offensive set. Either Hurley has totally lost control of his players and these insane, contested pull-up 3's are happening without his approval, or Hurley thinks these super-low percentage shots are helping our team win. Either Hurley had a response for Cincinnati's overly aggressive, deny defense and the players were refusing to run it, or he went an entire game without making a single adjustment to a defense that was shutting UConn down.
This is a scary friggin thought.

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
Too many balls bouncing off the hands of our players. Too many passes at the feet. Too many lazy passes getting stolen and taken down the other way.

There’s a lot of things I wish Hurley did differently, but the difference in this game was execution not coaching.

Reaction Score
What was frustrating was seeing Gilbert being Gilbert (driving, tripping, and hitting the bottom of the backboard and falling out of bounds), screaming at the tube, then a shot of Hurley on the sideline. No reaction to mild amusement. Calhoun would’ve yanked Gilbert out of the game by his neck while spewing saliva down his ear!!!

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Instead of looking to bench Carlton, DH earlier in the season ran plays for him early in games. Since we have gone away from that, he has disappeared. This is on DH to get Carlton going early. Also, we weren't prepared for the press and defensive pressure. That is on Hurley as well. Interested to see the bounce back against a weak USF.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Something I've been asking for, Polley for pick and pop, and Akok can either pop or roll to the hoop. I'd also like to see more big to big screens on the baseline, which would give Gilbert someone to feed.

Honestly, Josh is such a wide load now, and they always front him, so all he has to do is turn around and he just erased the other 5, if Akok attacks the opposite side good luck defending that. Josh could be a very good interior screener. But we can’t do that if Josh is still jogging back from the three point line, behind AG, as he usually is.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I saw him tanked at Grants late one Saturday night before a Sunday noon game.

Coaching hungover must be hard.

Joe Namath beat the Oakland raiders in the afl championship game after 3 girls a bottle of Johnny black and 45 minutes of sleep. And that’s ON the field. What’s your point again?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom