Worst Coached UConn game since I have been a fan of the Huskies | The Boneyard

Worst Coached UConn game since I have been a fan of the Huskies

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I start after the Perno era, so maybe he had some stinkers, but neither Calhoun nor Ollie ever were as unprepared for a game as what we just saw. We have covered the offensive issues ad nauseum, but there are still secondary rotation issues on defense. When our help defender steps to the penetrator, they were wide open on the block all game long.

Cincinnati jumped on UConn out of the gate, and Hurley had no answer. Going into this game, Cincinnati was 7-5, with losses to Bowling Green and Colgate at home. And they just kicked Hurley's butt. This is also the second time this season that a first year head coach that is still learning his own team has totally outcoached Hurley.

I have no solution for this, but Hurley has got to get his act together. UConn is not the job for a coach that needs training wheels.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I start after the Perno era, so maybe he had some stinkers, but neither Calhoun nor Ollie ever were as unprepared for a game as what we just saw. We have covered the offensive issues ad nauseum, but there are still secondary rotation issues on defense. When our help defender steps to the penetrator, they were wide open on the block all game long.

Cincinnati jumped on UConn out of the gate, and Hurley had no answer. Going into this game, Cincinnati was 7-5, with losses to Bowling Green and Colgate at home. And they just kicked Hurley's butt. This is also the second time this season that a first year head coach that is still learning his own team has totally outcoached Hurley.

I have no solution for this, but Hurley has got to get his act together. UConn is not the job for a coach that needs training wheels.

Nah. Ollie’s opener against Wagner was far worse than this. This was reminiscent of several Ollie coached games though, I’d agree with that. Hurley seems unwilling to adjust his approach to fit the players he has. He constantly asks them to do things they cannot, Josh most of all.

Reaction Score
Cslhoun wouldn’t beat Cincinnati tonight if he was coaching these Uconn players. Coaches get wsy to much credit when teams win and too much blame when they lose. Players gotta execute, make shots, be in position, make good decisions etc. its not like hurley has 5 stars on the bench he forgot to play. This team does not have talent.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Cslhoun wouldn’t beat Cincinnati tonight if he was coaching these Uconn players. Coaches get wsy to much credit when teams win and too much blame when they lose. Players gotta execute, make shots, be in position, make good decisions etc. its not like hurley has 5 stars on the bench he forgot to play. This team does not have talent.
Maybe he wouldn’t have won with these guys, but Calhoun would have made it much more competitive. I will agree that making shots would help.

Reaction Score

Did you watch the game against Arkansas?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Every coach throws in clunkers
I think J Calhoun would have made necessary adjustments that would have made a huge difference in this game.
KO was not a good game coach and I see a whole lot of KO in how DH approaches the game.
This was not the worst coached game Ive seen at UConn but it does rank in the top 20 of stinkers
DH has a lot of work to do on his approach and in game tactics
No, he doesn't shoot or dribble but he employs the tactical command that will help his team execute and allow on the court decision making easier for his players. I don't see a whole lot of it yet.
On the positive side - this is his first exposure to big boy basketball as a coach and he does have a well respected father to lean on
He needs to recruit some physical specimens as priority #1

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
It's amazing how hard it is for people to understand this. It's really this simple. Your favorite coach would've lost with these guys, it's not the coaching.

Reaction Score
It's amazing how hard it is for people to understand this. It's really this simple. Your favorite coach would've lost with these guys, it's not the coaching.

Barely beat Valparaiso. Barely beat Illinois state. LOST to Bowling green. Barely beat Vermont. LOST to Colgate.

Cincinnati is not a high-level team by any stretch of the word.

Feel free to keep making excuses.

Reaction Score

Agreed, he was awful and the team was totally unprepared but Ollie had a ton of games like that.

Hurley does need to figure things out though, that was horrendous.

Reaction Score
Disagree. Point guard is the glaring problem and usually is for bad teams but there is certainly enough talent to never look like that against a team like Cincinnati.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Barely beat Valparaiso. Barely beat Illinois state. LOST to Bowling green. Barely beat Vermont. LOST to Colgate.

Based on the 'Hurley Hyperbole' I'm seeing, lots of people will be shocked at how much better the offense looks with good point guard play, and an upgrade at SG. Yall ain't seeing the improvements in this years team? Calhoun would've lost too, it's the players.

Reaction Score

Cincy is much better than their record indicates if Cumerland is healthy. He looked to me tonight to be getting close. However, Hurley didn't have any answer for the big kid. They really struggled with him on both ends. He's much bigger in person than i expected. He's not a guy they're listing as 7'1. Big, big kid, and he's pretty agile. He was a game changer. No answer there at all.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Disagree. Point guard is the glaring problem and usually is for bad teams but there is certainly enough talent to never look like that against a team like Cincinnati.
I agree, I think this team is better than they played today. I dont think Hurley could've done anything to stop Gilbert and Carlton from having the performances they had.

Reaction Score

SO TRUE !

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

To be fair, the players got their asses kicked. Hurley's toolbox is very limited. The IQ level of the upperclassmen are hurting us. Help defenders and wide open blocks be damned

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I keep reading "Low Basketball IQ" on this board, but no one defines what that means. Carlton catching the first pass of the offense 25 feet from the basket doesn't mean Carlton has a low basketball IQ, it means he is running a stupid offensive set. Either Hurley has totally lost control of his players and these insane, contested pull-up 3's are happening without his approval, or Hurley thinks these super-low percentage shots are helping our team win. Either Hurley had a response for Cincinnati's overly aggressive, deny defense and the players were refusing to run it, or he went an entire game without making a single adjustment to a defense that was shutting UConn down.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Tonights loss is on everyone, coaches and players. But, I have a problem with people saying Hurley needs to change his antics on the bench. Did anyone watch Jim Calhoun for the 26 years he was the head coach at UConn?

What does Calhoun have to do with Hurley?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom