OT: - World Cup | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I utterly despise FIFA, but love the World Cup with an intense passion. This time around my goal (pathetic pun intended) is to watch every match live on Telemundo, in part to help improve my Spanish.
I approve. The commentary in the Spanish language broadcast is generally at a higher level, which I suppose caters to a more knowledgeable audience.

Reaction Score
It's an extremely fast game. I watch the video and I see Bale flopping. I understand the way the players play the game and that plays a large part as to why many Americans hate the game. Far too much crying and writhing on the ground. If someone like Bales chooses to initiate contact, I prefer "play on." Not gonna happen, but that's my take.
If everyone was allowed to take their momentum through other players like this, we'd have mass collisions. My understanding of soccer is you do have to account for your approach as a defender, especially in the box. It's about positioning and the right to your space. It's called all the time.

You may be right about the American mentality. I see a lot of cursing at refs who call fouls when a player goes down even after someone else made a play on the ball, but I think fouls are proper when there's physical contact with legs on legs, or else shoulder charges. The rest of it is legal, hip checking, forearms close to the body, etc. Just watch where your legs and feet go, watch your shoulders.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Zimmerman went through Bale without playing the ball, or to play the ball. Doesn't really matter you can't slide through another player. It's a clear penalty and should have been top of mind to an experienced defender.

Zimmerman got caught out and made a reaction play that he should have had the good sense not to make. Even if Bale gets the ball cleanly, he still has options to block or prevent a scoring chance.

By reaching, he gifted Wales the trying goal with 10 minutes on the clock. It's not Bill Buckner level choking but it's bad.
Boy if the game was as simple as you make it sound...............................
He didn't get caught out, he was trying to stop Bale from collecting and squaring to goal with the ball in a shooting position which Bale can do as fast as any player in the world. Unfortunately for Zim, Bale made a reactionary movement that caused legs to meet and once he felt that Bale exaggerated the contact (as he should) to create an impression of a callable infraction. Being in the box just magnified the situation. Had it been in the midfield it would have been play on 90% of the time because Zim did contact ball first and I didn't see cleats up. I don't have a huge problem with the call but I certainly don't fault Zim based on the fact he is a MLS player. He is a proven skilled defender. I wouldn't be upset with any of my players had they done the same thing as Zim and would have loved to see any offensive player have the attention to detail as Bale.
It was a bang/bang play in a crucial area of the field involving one of the best creators/opportunists in the world - bad luck for the U.S. but the way the ref was calling the game it wasn't going to be anything but a penalty even if there was a question in his mind.
It was a bang/bang reactionary play and d't

Reaction Score
Boy if the game was as simple as you make it sound...............................
He didn't get caught out, he was trying to stop Bale from collecting and squaring to goal with the ball in a shooting position which Bale can do as fast as any player in the world. Unfortunately for Zim, Bale made a reactionary movement that caused legs to meet and once he felt that Bale exaggerated the contact (as he should) to create an impression of a callable infraction. Being in the box just magnified the situation. Had it been in the midfield it would have been play on 90% of the time because Zim did contact ball first and I didn't see cleats up. I don't have a huge problem with the call but I certainly don't fault Zim based on the fact he is a MLS player. He is a proven skilled defender. I wouldn't be upset with any of my players had they done the same thing as Zim and would have loved to see any offensive player have the attention to detail as Bale.
It was a bang/bang play in a crucial area of the field involving one of the best creators/opportunists in the world - bad luck for the U.S. but the way the ref was calling the game it wasn't going to be anything but a penalty even if there was a question in his mind.

Be quiet. If it were up to you we’d probably start the big dopey athletic types with zero technical skill and we would lose every match 6-0.

He’s not a proven defender. He’s a dopey MLS level talent who couldn’t hack it overseas.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

It is that simple. Don't go to ground and don't put yourself in that position when you are defending in your own penalty area. There isn't an official on the planet that isn't giving that PK. It wasn't a close call.

The offical was too card happy early and weak/inconsistent on stopping play for down players but I don't recall many egregious whistles. It's football. Expecting a clean whistle is naive. The ref had nothing to do with the result.

The US is a very good team between the 20 yd lines, if I can mix football metaphors, They suck in the red zone on both ends. Even the goal was the equivalent of breaking a long run/pass from midfield.

Reaction Score

Berhalter’s decisions are nonsensical.

If you’re not going to play Reyna in a situation where you need a goal, at least put in Ferreira who has performed well for the team. This version of Jordan Morris hasn’t brought anything to the table, and it’s inexplicable that he continues to get minutes.

But also, just play your best talent, which certainly includes Gio. It’s really not that complicated.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Was a weak call, but the same foul he called earlier on the Ronaldo goal called back.

Reaction Score
How about the last second chance by Ghana sneaking up behind the keeper. Easy goal if he didn't slip.

Reaction Score
Serbia playing like absolute ass but somehow managed to hold Brazil at bay for just over an hour. Some of the worst I've seen from them since I've watched them. Down 1-0 but not doing much on the attack.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
The USA has to beat Iran no matter what. If they pick up a point against England that makes it much more likely they advance.

Reaction Score
Damn, both in stoppage. So basically we need a W against England now, correct? Great......
No. In fact, this result arguably means the match today is less significant than the one on Tuesday. Unless we beat England, we have to beat Iran.

If we beat England, need:
  • Draw vs. Iran
  • Lose vs. Iran, England doesn't beat Wales and we beat England/Wales on GD

If we draw England, need:
- Win vs. Iran

If we lose to England, need:
- Win vs. Iran AND Wales doesn't beat England and beat us on GD

So essentially, unless we beat England, the requirements for Tuesday are virtually unchanged.

Reaction Score
No. In fact, this result arguably means the match today is less significant than the one on Tuesday. Unless we beat England, we have to beat Iran.

If we beat England, need:
  • Draw vs. Iran
  • Lose vs. Iran, England doesn't beat Wales and we beat England/Wales on GD

If we draw England, need:
- Win vs. Iran

If we lose to England, need:
- Win vs. Iran AND Wales doesn't beat England and beat us on GD

So essentially, unless we beat England, the requirements for Tuesday are virtually unchanged.
Right, duh. I hadn't had my coffee yet. Thanks.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Have to beat Iran regardless.

Wales losing means we go from likely not making it to likely making it if we beat Iran.
Almost a lock if we draw England...If beat Iran
If we beat England we top the group (and avoid Netherlands)...if we beat Iran
If we lose to England, nothing much changes...if we beat Iran, we are less likely to lose on GD should Wales beat England

It's my conclusion that beating Iran is key. Who just beat a team we couldn't beat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom