OT: - World Cup Final | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup Final

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That’s what could be different once you get to sudden death. Free subs
Why? So people who watch once every 4 years will like it more? Not worth it, IMO.

Reaction Score
Why? So people who watch once every 4 years will like it more? Not worth it, IMO.
Yeah if fans are cool with PKs that’s all that matters. I was just curious if that is something that is ever talked about by die hards. Honestly I would think people who watch every few years would like PKs more.

Reaction Score
Why would team sport vs individual matter for health reasons? A marathon or Tour De France is much more grueling than soccer. That’s a very odd statistic if there really are more heart related issues in soccer than other sports whether team or individual.
The difference is you know where the finish line is and run/bike accordingly. How hard do you run a race if you don’t know if it’ll be 3 miles or 26? You probably take it easy so you can go 26 - but that doesn’t make for a very exciting three-mile run.

If you might be running for two or three more hours when OT starts, you probably just jog all over the field to be sure to save what energy you have and the game becomes pretty unwatchable. If you know you just have 30 minutes left, you make some hard runs and maybe try to get a winner, but you leave it out there so when 120 minutes comes, you’re close to empty.

You could possibly have other solutions if unlimited subs were allowed in OT, and/or the game was 7-on-7 or something, but either of those things are bastardizing the way the sport is usually played as well. I’d favor golden goal so this game ends on a Messi walkoff - but there isn’t always going to be an OT goal (and of course then Brazil would have beaten Croatia and it might have been a different final).

Reaction Score
Amazing match, best I've ever seen. Messi v. Mbappe was like Magic v. Bird.

This puts Messi right there with Pelé as the best of all-time and seems to end the Christiano debate. Good as far as I'm concerned, never liked the guy.

Mbappe looks like he will make a run at the top to join Pelè and Messi if he avoids major injury, that guy is unbelievable.
Messi is miles clear of Pelé

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Why don’t they use PKs in the first part of the tournament? It doesn’t take any time to get a winner with that and ties are unnecessary with them. It PKs are good and fair, why not utilize them throughout the entire tournament?
The group stage is like the regular season. Ties are part of the game. You get 3 points for a win in the standings, 1 point for a draw, and 0 for a loss.

Reaction Score
That was a great game. It's too bad Lloris pooped the bed on the world's largest stage. Three of those PKs were stoppable if he didn't fake himself out of his own underwear.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yeah if fans are cool with PKs that’s all that matters. I was just curious if that is something that is ever talked about by die hards. Honestly I would think people who watch every few years would like PKs more.
I think if you watch soccer long enough you realize there's no easy way, better way to do it. If there was they would already tried it

Reaction Score
I think if you watch soccer long enough you realize there's no easy way, better way to do it. If there was they would already tried it
I still want to see the cardiac data on soccer players dropping dead as a reason for why they can’t keep playing LOL. If it works for the fans then it’s all good.

Reaction Score
The difference is you know where the finish line is and run/bike accordingly. How hard do you run a race if you don’t know if it’ll be 3 miles or 26? You probably take it easy so you can go 26 - but that doesn’t make for a very exciting three-mile run.

If you might be running for two or three more hours when OT starts, you probably just jog all over the field to be sure to save what energy you have and the game becomes pretty unwatchable. If you know you just have 30 minutes left, you make some hard runs and maybe try to get a winner, but you leave it out there so when 120 minutes comes, you’re close to empty.

You could possibly have other solutions if unlimited subs were allowed in OT, and/or the game was 7-on-7 or something, but either of those things are bastardizing the way the sport is usually played as well. I’d favor golden goal so this game ends on a Messi walkoff - but there isn’t always going to be an OT goal (and of course then Brazil would have beaten Croatia and it might have been a different final).
Eh. I’ve seen plenty of games where soccer players are lightly jogging or moving slowly when the ball is nowhere near them. They aren’t sprinting 100% of the time. The comment I made was in response to a contention that soccer players suffer cardiac arrest at a much higher rate than other athletes and as a reason for why PKs are necessary (their health). I’ve never seen any data on that or heard that as a reason.

Reaction Score
You can't have an indefinite game in a sport where you can go entire 90 minute matches without scoring and you have a limited number of subs.

90 + 30 is about all you can reasonably expect. Then it's gotta be something else. Why not PKs?

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Why would team sport vs individual matter for health reasons? A marathon or Tour De France is much more grueling than soccer. That’s a very odd statistic if there really are more heart related issues in soccer than other sports whether team or individual.
I don't understand what your argument is. I'm not sure what a marathon or Tour de France has to do with the argument at hand, which is "why is there a penalty shootout and not unlimited open play until someone scores"?

All I said is that there are a high number of cardiac arrests in soccer, which I speculate as to being due to strenuousness on the heart. But that was kind of a side thought.

But because it's a more strenuous sport than baseball, basketball, football, etc (you know, sports with overtime or extra innings) in terms of amount of running, that's why there's a penalty shootout to settle games after a certain amount of time.

Reaction Score
Amazing match, best I've ever seen. Messi v. Mbappe was like Magic v. Bird.

This puts Messi right there with Pelé as the best of all-time and seems to end the Christiano debate. Good as far as I'm concerned, never liked the guy.

Mbappe looks like he will make a run at the top to join Pelè and Messi if he avoids major injury, that guy is unbelievable.
Genuinely curious as to how you think Pele is as good if not better overall than Messi. Pundits, players and fans of all ages overwhelmingly believe Messi is the GOAT, and a lot of people have Maradona and Cristiano over Pele as well.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Just going to point out that given the stakes, the referee had an outstanding match. Let them play as much as possible and nailed the crucial penalty calls.
I was discussing that with my buddies during the match too. Something you never really say- what an outstanding match from the center ref. He nailed every big call. There was a yellow for simulation at one point that was hard to see on TV, and it took a replay to really see that it was 100% simulation. But the center ref nailed it in real time.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Then open up free substitutions after the second 15 minute extra time.

So then the scrubs decide it? PK's in tournament play after 30 minutes of extra time is perfectly acceptable to any futbol fan. If you think sudden death is better than a full 30 that is fine, but you are encouraging the result being decided by a whistle or a bad bounce and no one wants that.

If you are looking to improve the sport, the entire community would rather have a clear and reasonable standard for offsides. Given the advancement of VAR technology, IMO, the rule should be head, shoulder (arm above the armpit), or foot of the attacking player clearly ahead of the defender. Any overlap should be on sides in a tie goes to the runner situation. We'd have fewer VAR stoppages and fewer overturned calls.

Reaction Score
Watched start to finish. Unreal game. Argentina had it won twice and France just had no quit in them. As a lifelong player (but oddly, not a fan outside of WC years), it was so fun to see that play out. Sports fans here in the US will never understand what these wins mean to these teams/nations...it's more than just a sport elsewhere.

I have to disagree on sports fans in the US not understanding the significance for the winning countries. To see the passion is obvious and as a US sports fan I can’t help but he happy for the team, the country and their fans.

Reaction Score
I don't understand what your argument is. I'm not sure what a marathon or Tour de France has to do with the argument at hand, which is "why is there a penalty shootout and not unlimited open play until someone scores"?

All I said is that there are a high number of cardiac arrests in soccer, which I speculate as to being due to strenuousness on the heart. But that was kind of a side thought.

But because it's a more strenuous sport than baseball, basketball, football, etc (you know, sports with overtime or extra innings) in terms of amount of running, that's why there's a penalty shootout to settle games after a certain amount of time.
Ok so you speculate that is the case. You don’t have any evidence that it is even true. It’s not an actual thing - just an anecdote that you think something is happening.

Reaction Score
Pundits, players and fans of all ages overwhelmingly believe Messi is the GOAT, and a lot of people have Maradona and Cristiano over Pele as well.
Haha, sure.

He totally dominated the competition and is considered a god by the other greats.

He won 3 World Cups, scored about a goal per game for his career.

Reaction Score
Why don’t they use PKs in the first part of the tournament? It doesn’t take any time to get a winner with that and ties are unnecessary with them. It PKs are good and fair, why not utilize them throughout the entire tournament?
Don’t know what golden goal is. Why not just sudden death after regulation? You keep playing the game until someone scores. Penalty shots to decide the winner seems odd. Like football having a FG kicking contest in a Super Bowl or long drive contest in The Masters
I hope you enjoyed watching your first soccer match

Edit- for those who have no idea what they’re talking about match is another word for “game”

Reaction Score
I hope you enjoyed watching your first soccer match

Edit- for those who have no idea what they’re talking about match is another word for “game”
Thanks. That’s very helpful

Reaction Score
Watched start to finish. Unreal game. Argentina had it won twice and France just had no quit in them. As a lifelong player (but oddly, not a fan outside of WC years), it was so fun to see that play out. Sports fans here in the US will never understand what these wins mean to these teams/nations...it's more than just a sport elsewhere.
Let us lose a final and we will understand very quickly. Soccer here is what basketball is outside if the US. Interest and talent is surging. Parity expanding. The elite teams are being competed with. Brasil. Germany. Spain. Etc are not locks. The US women are not a lock. USA b-ball is getting more challenges. It’s a wonderful thing. We finally have professionally run academies across the country run by the MLS teams with foreign interest. We have set foundations for the future. We will see this happen I’d say within the next 4 cups. Who knows we can lucky in 26. Mexico USA final?

Reaction Score
Not a big fan of soccer but watch it when World Cup happens.

Serious question:

Have the governing bodies for the game ever entertained making the goal opening smaller just for PKs for a shootout situation? Just seems like there’s way too big of an advantage for the offense

Reaction Score
On the greatest stage in sports, the ups and downs, the shifts. It was absolutely up there with the greatest games i’ve personally watched. Don’t yuck someone else’s yum my man.
I mean I’m just disagreeing, keep it to yourself if you get bent out of shape

Liked for “don’t yuck my yum” though lol my girlfriend first said that to me

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom