OT: - World Cup Final | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup Final

Reaction Score
You wouldn't make the net smaller. You'd have either a 2nd line where the goalie stands maybe 5 feet in front of the goal line to make angles more challenging, or you make it like the NHL where the shooter and goalie can move wherever.

But, the fact that some goalies make saves and others don't seems to imply the current system works.

I don't know that it means the current system works best.

What if the ball were placed on the line of the penalty area, inside the arc? That may not have saved Lloris today, but it'd make for more exciting end-of-match PKs...

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Let us lose a final and we will understand very quickly. Soccer here is what basketball is outside if the US. Interest and talent is surging. Parity expanding. The elite teams are being competed with. Brasil. Germany. Spain. Etc are not locks. The US women are not a lock. USA b-ball is getting more challenges. It’s a wonderful thing. We finally have professionally run academies across the country run by the MLS teams with foreign interest. We have set foundations for the future. We will see this happen I’d say within the next 4 cups. Who knows we can lucky in 26. Mexico USA final?
Not gonna happen. Kids in the US are encouraged to play many sports. In addition to team sports, kids also do things like ski/snowboard, surf, bike/skate, hike, etc. Kids in Brazil eat, breathe, and dream soccer and soccer alone. There’s not much in the US I would bet against, but winning a WC is one of them. We are too well-rounded. I played at a pretty high level when I was younger and when we played teams from outside the US we got smoked. Even when we played younger teams.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Golden goal is another name for sudden death. They tried it about 20 years ago and nobody liked it.
The reason they went away from Golden Goal was both teams tended to play very cautiously, not wanting to make a mistake that ended the game. They figure if they are guaranteed to play the whole 30 minutes, teams will take some chances to score to prevent the KFTM. And even if they get scored upon, they still have some time to score a goal themselves.

Doesn't always work out that way, but that was the idea of going away from Golden Goal. Personally I like the Golden Goal. But I also like KFTM.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Let us lose a final and we will understand very quickly. Soccer here is what basketball is outside if the US. Interest and talent is surging. Parity expanding. The elite teams are being competed with. Brasil. Germany. Spain. Etc are not locks. The US women are not a lock. USA b-ball is getting more challenges. It’s a wonderful thing. We finally have professionally run academies across the country run by the MLS teams with foreign interest. We have set foundations for the future. We will see this happen I’d say within the next 4 cups. Who knows we can lucky in 26. Mexico USA final?
When asked whether I watched the game (The lab is mostly foreigners) I said: "No, I'm an American."
When I ask aforementioned foreigners that in 4 years when the US host the WC, who will be paid more, the highest paid American soccer (futbol) player or lowest paid American basketball player, all agreed the basketball player. Same answer for E-sports. Soccer will never take hold here as it cannot attract value, other activities will always command more attention and players will always make more money doing other things.

Reaction Score
Talk about tension. They showed the French coach Deschamps biting his finger nails prior to the PKs.

I thoroughly enjoyed this match. And to quote Tony Kornheiser, "I may not know soccer but I know excitement". I don't understand closeminded Americans who have no interest in learning about the game. I may not know everything about soccer but I certainly understand passion.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The reason they went away from Golden Goal was both teams tended to play very cautiously, not wanting to make a mistake that ended the game.
Like I said, nobody liked it.

Reaction Score
When asked whether I watched the game (The lab is mostly foreigners) I said: "No, I'm an American."
When I ask aforementioned foreigners that in 4 years when the US host the WC, who will be paid more, the highest paid American soccer (futbol) player or lowest paid American basketball player, all agreed the basketball player. Same answer for E-sports. Soccer will never take hold here as it cannot attract value, other activities will always command more attention and players will always make more money doing other things.
What an absolute swing and a miss of a post.

Soccer (Football) is the second most played sport in America also, by the way.

Reaction Score

Pulisic’s salary.

He makes 10x the NBA league minimum.

You literally have no argument. Sounds like you work in a lab but suck at research.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
What a really dumb answer. What does your nationality have to do with whether you watch the game or not? My being American had nothing to do with my watching it. There are lots of Americans who like sports. Why didn't you just say "no, I don't like sports".

When I ask aforementioned foreigners that in 4 years when the US host the WC, who will be paid more, the highest paid American soccer (futbol) player or lowest paid American basketball player, all agreed the basketball player.
What a dumb question. And it seems your lab partners are as dumb as you with their answer. There are many American soccer players who make well above the minimum basketball player wages. And in 4 years there will probably be substantially more.

Soccer will never take hold here as it cannot attract value, other activities will always command more attention and players will always make more money doing other things.
But it already has taken hold and it does attract value. Of course there are many sports where one can make a living. A good one. Are you saying NFL doesn't command attention because MLB and NBA has higher average salaries?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Like I said before, who cares about people that don't get soccer? It's their loss.

Reaction Score
Pele loses points for not playing high level club soccer.
You're dinging Pelé because he was deemed a national treasure by the Brazilian gov't and they wouldn't let him leave for Europe? It took him being retired from the Brazilian national team for a few years and being retired from Santos for something to be negotiated by the American gov't and the Brazilian gov't for him to finally be allowed to leave and come to America at around 35 years old.

Santos was also as good as it gets in the world then, it was a completely different time where the Euro clubs didn't dominate and the money wasn't insane.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
You're dinging Pelé because he was deemed a national treasure by the Brazilian gov't and they wouldn't let him leave for Europe? It took him being retired from the Brazilian national team for a few years and being retired from Santos for something to be negotiated by the American gov't and the Brazilian gov't for him to finally be allowed to leave and come to America at around 35 years old.

Santos was also as good as it gets in the world then, it was a completely different time where the Euro clubs didn't dominate and the money wasn't insane.
The European leagues were still better back then but there was more parity. The Brazilian and Argentinian leagues were better back then vs. the European leagues relative to today.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Pulisic’s salary.

He makes 10x the NBA league minimum.

You literally have no argument. Sounds like you work in a lab but suck at research.
Are you naturally stupid or is it an acquired trait? That's my go to barb. Oh and in your case I understand that it is a natural trait but that you work on it daily to acquire that fine dull edge you have. Kudos.

My comment was a throw away observation that futbol, or soccer, will always lose to the established sports in the USA. I doubt it will never displace any of the major entertainment sports in the USA, nor will it join them. I understand the appeal of the game, but it has been 50+ years since the Cosmos et al were supposed to overwhelm the US sporting scene, and yet those pesky other sports keep elbowing it aside.

The overlooked part is that foreigners, people for whom this sport is the only one they know, recognize that the USA is not a green field for sports; to the contrary it is a burnt one. Displacing existing traditions is a near impossible task in society relations. Attempts to graft this sport onto the social fabric has previously failed and there is little reason to believe the current climate will change enough to allow viable growth.

BTW who pays that 10X salary? Is it an American club that is doling out these funds or do Americans who want to play soccer need to look abroad to acquire these hefty sums? Therein lies the rub, American athletes will always have opportunities in the traditional sports that will attract the attention and monies that many chase. Hence, they will gravitate towards those sports. Those few that are dedicated to soccer will (need to) leave the country if they want the big payday.

Oh I understand the sport, having lived in Germany back in the day and knowing many members of Eintracht Frankfurt. It just is not appealing. Just like I find opera unappealing. In the ignitible words of Homer J Simpson: "Just because I don't care, it doesn't mean I don't understand." That is what soccer in the USA is up against, people who will understand the game completely (it's not that hard, even a mongoloid like you can get it) but find it unappealing because it was never part of their tradition. 1970 was 52 years ago, plenty of time to graft that beautiful game on to the tree that is the American sporting scene, and yet, very little fruit has come to market. Maybe in the next 52 years...

I concede that Statista ranks soccer 5th ahead of Golf, Tennis, MMA, and Motorsports in terms of "following." It fails to mention where the money flows, which is a better indicator of interest.

Reaction Score
Are you naturally stupid or is it an acquired trait? That's my go to barb. Oh and in your case I understand that it is a natural trait but that you work on it daily to acquire that fine dull edge you have. Kudos.

My comment was a throw away observation that futbol, or soccer, will always lose to the established sports in the USA. I doubt it will never displace any of the major entertainment sports in the USA, nor will it join them. I understand the appeal of the game, but it has been 50+ years since the Cosmos et al were supposed to overwhelm the US sporting scene, and yet those pesky other sports keep elbowing it aside.

The overlooked part is that foreigners, people for whom this sport is the only one they know, recognize that the USA is not a green field for sports; to the contrary it is a burnt one. Displacing existing traditions is a near impossible task in society relations. Attempts to graft this sport onto the social fabric has previously failed and there is little reason to believe the current climate will change enough to allow viable growth.

BTW who pays that 10X salary? Is it an American club that is doling out these funds or do Americans who want to play soccer need to look abroad to acquire these hefty sums? Therein lies the rub, American athletes will always have opportunities in the traditional sports that will attract the attention and monies that many chase. Hence, they will gravitate towards those sports. Those few that are dedicated to soccer will (need to) leave the country if they want the big payday.

Oh I understand the sport, having lived in Germany back in the day and knowing many members of Eintracht Frankfurt. It just is not appealing. Just like I find opera unappealing. In the ignitible words of Homer J Simpson: "Just because I don't care, it doesn't mean I don't understand." That is what soccer in the USA is up against, people who will understand the game completely (it's not that hard, even a mongoloid like you can get it) but find it unappealing because it was never part of their tradition. 1970 was 52 years ago, plenty of time to graft that beautiful game on to the tree that is the American sporting scene, and yet, very little fruit has come to market. Maybe in the next 52 years...

I concede that Statista ranks soccer 5th ahead of Golf, Tennis, MMA, and Motorsports in terms of "following." It fails to mention where the money flows, which is a better indicator of interest.

4th most. It’s overtaken Ice Hockey.

The best Americans play abroad just like the best basketball players from Europe play in the NBA.

I know it’s difficult for you to grasp the idea of an international sport but thems the facts.

And the club that pays Pulisic is owned by an American.

As for generating value. A simple google search will give you domestic (That’s MLS club values). The average MLS Club valuation is now $582M. Not too bad for a league less than 30 years old.

Expansion value is now $450. And that’s not including the cost of constructing a stadium which is a require.

You’re a salty and uninformed little chimp.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Pele is Babe Ruth. Messi is DiMaggio. CR7 is ARod. He isn't even the best Ronaldo.

Reaction Score

The World Cup viewership is 2nd to only the Super Bowl in the US for sports championships. Well over NBA Finals and the World Series.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Foreigners? Little fruit has come to market?

Reaction Score
4th most. It’s overtaken Ice Hockey.

The best Americans play abroad just like the best basketball players from Europe play in the NBA.

I know it’s difficult for you to grasp the idea of an international sport but thems the facts.

And the club that pays Pulisic is owned by an American.

As for generating value. A simple google search will give you domestic (That’s MLS club values). The average MLS Club valuation is now $582M. Not too bad for a league less than 30 years old.

Expansion value is now $450. And that’s not including the cost of constructing a stadium which is a require.

You’re a salty and uninformed little chimp.
Honestly, I really think people have been underselling soccer’s popularity in the U.S. for awhile now by comparing the MLS (which is doing well in its own right) against the other major sports leagues.

To your point, the MLS is more like pro European basketball leagues while the EPL is like the NBA. It seems like the survey is factoring in the EPL as part of this comparison (as it should), and that league’s popularity has been taking off in the states for about a decade now.

I’d be curious to see the demographics breakdown of that study, but it wouldn’t shock me to see soccer fly past baseball in the next 10-20 years.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I really think people have been underselling soccer’s popularity in the U.S. for awhile now by comparing the MLS (which is doing well in its own right) against the other major sports leagues.

To your point, the MLS is more like pro European basketball leagues while the EPL is like the NBA. It seems like the survey is factoring in the EPL as part of this comparison (as it should), and that league’s popularity has been taking off in the states for about a decade now.

I’d be curious to see the demographics breakdown of that study, but it wouldn’t shock me to see soccer fly past baseball in the next 10-20 years.

It’s factoring in all the leagues. Soccer as a whole is very much like college sports here. Different leagues and conferences on different networks and platforms.

MLS doesn’t get great ratings nationally. Its value is local. They don’t have a Yankees or a Cowboys yet.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
MLS doesn’t get great ratings nationally. Its value is local. They don’t have a Yankees or a Cowboys yet.
Or a Cosmos? I don't think that will ever happen, the league is designed to prevent it.

Reaction Score
Or a Cosmos? I don't think that will ever happen, the league is designed to prevent it.

Yup. And it’s holding them back. But at the same time the values keep going up and the owners have deep pockets. Have to wonder when the pivot is going to happen.

Reaction Score
I was looking at the Hartford Athletic

1975 - Giorgio Chinaglia playing as a guest for the Hartford Bicentennials vs Poland National Team, Dillon Stadium

1671655567952.png

Reaction Score

The question is not who pays the money but how much money is there in it as a profession .
Other than skill and athletism you don‘t need freakish proportions for success. Basketball average height is around 6’8”
Football players are physically huge .
I think the US / England match had 14 million viewers
that probably close to every major US sport except NFL.
eyeballs mean money

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom