OT: - World Cup 2018 | Page 56 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup 2018

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Yes, the US/CAN/MEX reference in my prior message implied 2026 games will be played in each nation. Yes, 2026 World Cup stadiums will be packed to the gills.

Yup, most if not all of the US stadiums and certainly Azteca are larger than most of the 2018 and likely most of the 2022 stadiums to be built then shrunk post tournament. Yes, reasonable people selected US/MEX/CAN over Morocco knowing more tickets will likely be sold with existing stadiums, transportation, hotels, etc. than the unknown to potentially be built in Morocco. The latter remains the point.
Yeah we have much better infrastructure and much larger stadiums than a majority of the countries. The USA is huge but is still one of the best options. Every game will be sold out

Reaction Score
The team who I'm really riding as a dark horse in this tournament is Croatia, who arguably should've beat Portugal in 2016 and outplayed Spain in that same tournament. I just feel like this is the perfect combination for them. Both the midfielders (Rakitic, Modric, Kovacic, Brozovic) and forwards (Mandzukic, Kalinic, Perisic) are in their peak years, at the best clubs in the world. Plus, they beat my Ukrainians to get into the UEFA playoff, so they better go far and make that stinging loss worth it.
One more match!

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Ridiculous statement
I’m not a fan. The only players on England that I think are studs are Kane and Pickford. If Pickford can get better playing with his feet he’ll be one of the best in the world

Reaction Score
I’m not a fan. The only players on England that I think are studs are Kane and Pickford. If Pickford can get better playing with his feet he’ll be one of the best in the world
I think Dele is an elite talent too but guys like Stones and Sterling (this coming from a Man City fan) are good but a bit overrated. And then Maguire, Trippier even Rashford aren't anything special (tho Rashford's got the ceiling). Defunitedly an England squad stronger than their parts. They had a lot of youth on their team and nothing to be ashamed of.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Rashford is very young and is at his best in this stage of his development to have the ball played in front of him because of his speed and ability to change directions and feint. He is adept with the ball on his foot but he has not played long enough to learn and utilize world class techniques to be lethal most of the time when facing close range marking. They brought him on in the 2nd half hoping that they could get him loose on a long ball serve but the passes just were not there. His open field speed is beyond world class and his ability to finish in clutch situations is proven - it just didn't work today
The kid doesn't play significant minutes for Man U because he "sucks"
The whole Three Lions side is very young and will, barring injuries, etc have virtually the whole team back along with seven U-18 kids who are all on that unbelievable National team and all are playing on the practice squads for highly regarded EPL sides.
Little confused about the Pickford feet comment - this team passes back to the keeper more than most. Coach Southgate has commented many times on what a luxury it is to trust a keeper as the 11th field player. His passing and targeted punting is among the top in the world. My complaint about him is that he needs to work on positioning when the play is within 20 yards
Kane saved his worst effort for this match but the guy is a stud - no doubt
This Three Lions team is a lot like the recent UConn Mens BBall team IMHO - it looks like men vs boys - they need to get stronger as they grow older

Reaction Score
In a single final game, the winner of England or Croatia could beat France. On the other hand, the quality of this game, creativity, speed, etc. hasn't done too much to convince humble me the symbolic final involving 2018's best 2 teams wasn't played yesterday. Maybe I'm wrong!
Yeah, but this is like saying, "If 99 Duke played UConn 10 times they'd win 8."
It's a one game elimination tournament. Seeding and bracketing happen. You've gotta beat who they put in front of you.

The one game elimination format of the WC is not set up to determine who the "best team" is. Of course not. There is no single elimination tournament that could do that.

All the WC determines is who is better on a game by game basis, and who can string together a bunch of wins. Just like the NCAAs.

Reaction Score
I mean, he doesnt do much for the national team, that's for sure.
He comes off the bench every game and hasn’t been playing in his natural position. He was pretty much their best player in the Euros too, at 18 years old.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Observations on the game today:
1. I was ridiculously entertained. Thought it was 10x better than Croatia v. Russia.
2. England's top gun missed two consecutive point blank shots. Ouch. Massive choke.
3. Almost all of Croatia's team is over 6' tall. A nation of 4 million. Seems like that should put to bed the odd argument I've heard from some soccer buffs that shorter guys have an advantage. Seems the opposite may be true.
4. English goalie is a DB. Guy was standing over the "injured" Croat and screaming like an idiot. A few minutes later, BOOM, goal. Game over. That's called damn-near-instant-Karma. Hilarious. When I saw who scored the goal, I was laughing heartily.
5. Croatia dominated the game after the half. England didn't do much after their first goal, notwithstanding several nice opportunities. Croatia goaltender didn't have to do much work. Croatia seemed in better shape prior to the subs coming in.
6. Header pass that led to the final goal of the game was just absolutely sick.
7. Croatia seemed to get away with a lot of obvious pushes in the 1/2 half.
8. The diving is ridiculous.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He comes off the bench every game and hasn’t been playing in his natural position. He was pretty much their best player in the Euros too, at 18 years old.

Strange because Southgate's been pushing most of the right buttons otherwise. Not much vardy tho

Reaction Score
Yeah, but this is like saying, "If 99 Duke played UConn 10 times they'd win 8."
It's a one game elimination tournament.
Duly acknowledged as I typed "... the winner of England or Croatia could beat France.". Perhaps, I should have underlined or italicized "could". Of course one or the other, now Croatia could beat France. However, IMHO UConn 77-74 was and is better than Croatia and Puke sukced! ;)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Observations on the game today:
1. I was ridiculously entertained. Thought it was 10x better than Croatia v. Russia.
2. England's top gun missed two consecutive point blank shots. Ouch. Massive choke.
3. Almost all of Croatia's team is over 6' tall. A nation of 4 million. Seems like that should put to bed the odd argument I've heard from some soccer buffs that shorter guys have an advantage. Seems the opposite may be true.
4. English goalie is a DB. Guy was standing over the "injured" Croat and screaming like an idiot. A few minutes later, BOOM, goal. Game over. That's called damn-near-instant-Karma. Hilarious. When I saw who scored the goal, I was laughing heartily.
5. Croatia dominated the game after the half. England didn't do much after their first goal, notwithstanding several nice opportunities. Croatia goaltender didn't have to do much work. Croatia seemed in better shape prior to the subs coming in.
6. Header pass that led to the final goal of the game was just absolutely sick.
7. Croatia seemed to get away with a lot of obvious pushes in the 1/2 half.
8. The diving is ridiculous.

Agree with pretty much all of this. I'll add a couple more.
  1. Ref called a pretty loose "let them play" game, which favored the more aggressive and physical Croatia side
  2. The young English forwards and midfielders need to simply put the ball on net more often. Sterling, Lingard, Rashford, Alli, all of them need to just shoot more often.
  3. English ran out of gas and reverted to long balls too often in the second half, conceding too much possession.

Reaction Score
Nice to see Belgium came to play today. I will miss this squad. De Bruyne and Lukaku will keep them relevant though.

Hazard can probably play one more Cup. Won't be as in prime as he was in this one, of course. Modric is 32.

Reaction Score
Nice to see Belgium came to play today. I will miss this squad. De Bruyne and Lukaku will keep them relevant though.
Consistent with prior games, England could not score with their feet. However, it was good to see both teams came to play today. In 3rd place matches, teams don't always do much more than appear for games.

Belgium: With De Bruyne, Lukaku, likely Hazard minimally off the bench, and developing younger players, I see the Red Devils as minimally to more than just relevant for Euro 2020 and Qatar 2022.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Hazard can probably play one more Cup. Won't be as in prime as he was in this one, of course. Modric is 32.

Good thing he plays for Croatia haha*. Thibault will still be fine which is a huge key. Kompany will be done. Interesting to see what happens with their defense.

I know you know, but that's not how it reads....

Reaction Score
Is there any reason for the third place game? If I were Belgium or England I would have rather left Russia the day after the semifinals.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom