OT: - World Cup 2018 | Page 59 | The Boneyard

OT: World Cup 2018

Reaction Score
I’ve been rooting for France this whole tournament, but damn it’s kind of sad to see Croatia get picked apart like this.

Reaction Score
This is a classic pattern - can see the same thing in basketball.
The team with less talent keeps it close or appears to be leading for a half or so.
Eventually, the team with more talent takes control as the talent shows itself.

Croatia is all heart, no doubt, but France only needs the narrowest of windows to score, and playing from behind is death against them.

Reaction Score
And I doubt the rule will be changed. THE big rule in soccer is “you can’t use your hands”. They’re not going to start trying to determine ways by and contexts in which it can be legal to “use” one’s hands.
My thought wasn't "make hands legal". How did you get that?
My thought was, "the penalty is too severe for an unintentional handball." Pretty much, any inadvertent hand ball and there's a 70% of a goal. In a game where 1 goal often is the difference between winning and losing, that's ridiculous. And seeing guys running around on defense with their hands together behind their backs is visual evidence that it's ridiculous. If the offensive player in the box hands it, is that a penalty kick? No? That's a huge advantage, because they can freely use their arms and hands to balance. Terrible rule.
But there reason it won't change is not because it doesn't make sense - it won't change because history and all.

Reaction Score
My thought wasn't "make hands legal". How did you get that?
My thought was, "the penalty is too severe for an unintentional handball." Pretty much, any inadvertent hand ball and there's a 70% of a goal. In a game where 1 goal often is the difference between winning and losing, that's ridiculous. And seeing guys running around on defense with their hands together behind their backs is visual evidence that it's ridiculous. If the offensive player in the box hands it, is that a penalty kick? No? That's a huge advantage, because they can freely use their arms and hands to balance. Terrible rule.
But there reason it won't change is not because it doesn't make sense - it won't change because history and all.
Fair. You didn’t say anything about making anything outright legal. I didn’t mean to imply that and my word choice was poor.

I think the severity of the penalty is because of how close to the goal it was. I think unintentional hand interference elsewhere on the field doesn’t result in a PK but I could be wrong. Think how these elite athletes would game that system if it was, for example, just a corner kick for hand interference in the goal area.

Reaction Score
Think how these elite athletes would game that system if it was, for example, just a corner kick for hand interference in the goal area.
I'm just an outsider looking in. I think it's a great game, and, looking back, I wish I had played soccer instead of football.
It's just my nature to try to tweak things.
For basketball, for example, I'd stop all palming of the ball, enforce the 2 step rule, call a technical on offensive players going off their course to create contact when a defender is in the air, and make it a 2.5 point shot instead of a 3. Probably won't get my wish on any of that. Lol.

Reaction Score
It's depressing, seeing the spoiled big boy win again. That being said, from an objective POV, France is obviously a worthy winner, though it would've been nice to see a bounce or two for Croatia in the first half when Les Bleus scored those iffy goals. Croatia has got nothing to be ashamed of and were clearly good enough to, on a different day with different luck perhaps, win that game.

Reaction Score
It just wasn’t Croatia’s day. They clearly have the talent, just not the luck today. Congrats on a great tournament.

France are definitely worthy winners though. Ridiculously talented. Amazing pace, play from set pieces, and especially the counter attack. Sure they are dramatic but they’re French. It’s expected. It’s pretty crazy because they are young and are still a work in progress. In 2022 they will be even better.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I don’t get how anyone is saying that penalty call was bogus. I thought that was one of the more obvious handball pens.

It's definitely a handball. I just hate that inadvertent ricochets, that didn't stop a scoring chance result in penalties.

The Griesman call was BS straight up. But that was simply a professional foul draw. Griesman saw it all the way and knew the call was coming if he acted accordingly.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
It's definitely a handball. I just hate that inadvertent ricochets, that didn't stop a scoring chance result in penalties.

The Griesman call was BS straight up. But that was simply a professional foul draw. Griesman saw it all the way and knew the call was coming if he acted accordingly.
I saw the Griezman call as he slipped and was going down and then got contact so it shouldn’t have been a foul. It was an inadvertent handball IMO. He was screened and couldn’t adjust similar to Croatia’s own goal

Reaction Score
What would happen if they got rid of offsides? What would be so bad about that?

Reaction Score
I saw the Griezman call as he slipped and was going down and then got contact so it shouldn’t have been a foul. It was an inadvertent handball IMO. He was screened and couldn’t adjust similar to Croatia’s own goal
I will agree on the Griezman call as that was straight BS. Though the handball by the rules was definitely a hand ball. The only way he could have avoided that was to have his arms against his side and not away from his body. Either way it was the right call even if unfortunate for Croatia.

Reaction Score
It would become an American sport. LOL!

Meaning...more Americans would like it and the rest of the planet would scoff?
(I think they should dump offsides for hockey, too)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom