Wolf is Back! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Wolf is Back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
People consider Uconn a dirty program because of NCAA sanctions, APR penalties, and multiple players getting arrested. These things actually happened.

These things happen at hundreds of programs across the country, over and over again, but we get a lot more coverage. In this way I think having the press from two major sports markets and ESPN in a home state does us no favors.

Reaction Score
I know Whaler thinks that we can win with 4 guys under 6'5 because in his rec league, 6'5 seems pretty tall. For UConn to be more than a novelty next year, we need Wolf. I hope he comes back and makes the improvement that I expect from him. If Olander and a 6'8 frosh are UConn's centers, UConn will be staring at an 8/9 matchup the first weekend of March Madness.
I'd say Phil Nolan has the greatest chance of starting at the 5 this year, and I would personally be very very happy with that. Kid has a motor and showed a lot of potential in the last 4-5 games of last season.

Reaction Score
These things happen at hundreds of programs across the country, over and over again, but we get a lot more coverage. In this way I think having the press from two major sports markets and ESPN in a home state does us no favors.

NCAA sanctions and APR postseason bans most certainly do not happen at hundreds of programs around the country.

I'm as big a defender of this program as anyone. I was just pointing out to a previous poster that the perception of us as a dirty program (regardless of how true or fair it is) is primarily because our name has been in the paper a lot lately. And if that hadn't been the case, maybe Wolf still has his scholarship.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Anyone who thinks they are as good or better without him didn't watch much last year. They were a better team with him in there and to think they have anyone with a "higher upside"......well let me ask who does for sure?

There is no telling what Brimah brings and although I like Nolan a lot to leave him and Tyler as the only definite C's isn't a fuzzy picture for a team with high hopes. We know he's 7'1 which neither is, he can shoot it a little and pass it a little and alter shots.....want to let me know which of them is better at any of that? Nolan is a good athlete and showed promise but the Huskies are better and deeper if EW comes back!!

Agreed, reference to: http://www.the-boneyard.com/threads/plus-minus-wolf-vs-olander.32531/#post-482225

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
NCAA sanctions and APR postseason bans most certainly do not happen at hundreds of programs around the country.

I'm as big a defender of this program as anyone. I was just pointing out to a previous poster that the perception of us as a dirty program (regardless of how true or fair it is) is primarily because our name has been in the paper a lot lately. And if that hadn't been the case, maybe Wolf still has his scholarship.

Sure... sure.. then how come there are articles like this as of 2011: NCAA: Only 17 Division I (FBS) Schools Have Never Committed a Major Violation. There were like 15-20 schools in the last two years to have APR violations. NCAA violations happen EVERYWHERE and the APR is a game. We're just getting get better at playing it and offer special classes for our atheletes. I'm sick of this constant crap about how our program is dirty... and our players are worse than everywhere else... from our own fans. It's completely and utter BS.

The real issue with our program was that our athletic director was Jeff Hathaway who completely failed to support our most valuable sports and provide the compliance staff and academic environment our program needed. That would have gone a long way towards keeping UConn's image clean.

Reaction Score
These things actually got reported ......... they don't everywhere else and that's the truth. Far from clean but not nearly as bad as some that you never hear anything about.......under the rug programs!!
I think that's the bigger story here Mau. Do you think the Wiggins/Dyson car incident gets enforced or reported at almost any other college? We've certainly had our share of indiscretions but our Mayberry police department certainly hasn't helped. The laptop incident and the few domestic battery incidents aside, many of the other things cold have been handled internally. Ever since laptopgate though, there's a perception about our program that gets kept alive unfortunately every time something minor happens.

Reaction Score
Because he got 3 free years of a Uconn education and thinks its worth it to pay one year on his his own to stick around and play with his buddies and go after a title.
And a degree.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If I'm Enosch Wolf I'm leaving UConn and transferring to another school.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I know Whaler thinks that we can win with 4 guys under 6'5 because in his rec league, 6'5 seems pretty tall. For UConn to be more than a novelty next year, we need Wolf. I hope he comes back and makes the improvement that I expect from him. If Olander and a 6'8 frosh are UConn's centers, UConn will be staring at an 8/9 matchup the first weekend of March Madness.

LOL. You are a absolute moron. Half your posts here are idiotic holier than thou bleeding heart nonsense... But when the school actually disciplines a student athlete you have a problem with it because he's tall.

If the difference between being good an being a 'novelty' is Wolf - I'll break it to you easy - your team isn't that great.

Reaction Score
This is disrespect to Wolf. We need a legit 7 footer so I hope he comes back.

On the topic of us getting a ton of guards:

Locking in Purvis was a GENIUS move by Ollie. It's perfect that he can step in when shabazz leaves and can spend a year under their wing

But still we need someone who will feast on the glass desperately. I'm praying that Tyler returns as a new man and Kentan/Brimah are beast

caw

Reaction Score
I want Wolf back as much as anyone, but let's be honest, Brimah and Facey only need to cover 13.4 minutes 3.4 PPG, 3.4 RPG .9 BPG, .6 APG to fill Wolf's shoes statistically, ohh and 2.2 fouls per game.

Looking at the 15 games he played before Wolf's suspension versus the 8 games after, Nolan went from:
8.6 -> 15 MPG
1.1 -> 2 PPG
1.3 -> 3.6 RPG
.3 -> 1.0 BPG
.1 -> .5 APG

I have hopes Nolan will get even better with more PT next year. I think 4, 4, 1.2 is realistic for him at minimum. I think Facey has even more potential. Wolf would be great because I think he works hard and having 5 more fouls down low would be great.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
LOL. You are a absolute moron. Half your posts here are idiotic holier than thou bleeding heart nonsense... But when the school actually disciplines a student athlete you have a problem with it because he's tall.

If the difference between being good an being a 'novelty' is Wolf - I'll break it to you easy - your team isn't that great.

No player, especially no big man, has ever gotten better in the history of UConn. Got it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Nolan could be good, and is the main option if Wolf is gone. I just don't know how big a jump he can make.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No player, especially no big man, has ever gotten better in the history of UConn. Got it.

So then you argument is that not only does Wolf need to be present he needs to improve. Oh and Wolf can improve but Nolan can't. Even though players improve the most between their freshman and sophomore years. Way to keep your points coherent.

Good job avoiding the actual point - I expect nothing less. Thank God Ollie and the Athletic Department make their decisions on action and character and not height like you do.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Wolf's assault gets worse every thread. I had no idea that he had beaten her so badly.

The charges were dropped. The self-righteous drama queens have to stop making up stuff that Wolf did to justify their self-righteousness.

One other thing, which is completely un-PC but I will say it anyway. I know people that were victims of domestic violence. The terror and helplessness of someone who is in a truly abusive relationship is something that I hope no one I know ever experiences again. So we need to stop comparing this situation to domestic violence. It demeans true victims of an awful crime to conflate it with two drunken idiots screaming at each other in a dorm at 2 in the morning.

Reaction Score
Ever since laptopgate though, there's a perception about our program that gets kept alive unfortunately every time something minor happens.

Jesus, laptopgate. Cam Newton stole a laptop, threw it out a window when he got caught, and then won the Heisman. Jerime Anderson stole a laptop at UCLA, plead guilty to two misdemeanors, and missed a grant total of two cupcake pre-season games. We have two bumbling idiots who make a boneheaded decision to try to cover up the crime of a friend from home and we're the dirtiest program in history.

There is no question that UConn's athletes are more highly scrutinized over like this. There was a glowing, practically masturbatory profile of Louis Nix of Notre Dame on espn.com last season where his sense of humor was gushed over. One of his delightful pranks? Putting on a scary mask and jumping out of the bushes terrifying students. Do that at UConn and you get locked up. Ask Rashad Anderson.

Louis Nix is scary.
Some nights, he slaps on a "Saw" mask, goes out on the Notre Dame campus, jumps out from behind bushes and scares students. When a 330-pound nose guard leaps out at you, your pancreas tends to leap out of you. One poor girl cried. "I've had campus police called on me," Nix admits.
Which is weird, since Nix loves nothing more than to laugh.
One Halloween, he dressed as , and as he walked around he'd freeze every 20 feet or so into a Touchdown Jesus pose.
The question is, can he save Notre Dame?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Wolf's assault gets worse every thread. I had no idea that he had beaten her so badly.

The charges were dropped. The self-righteous drama queens have to stop making up stuff that Wolf did to justify their self-righteousness.

One other thing, which is completely un-PC but I will say it anyway. I know people that were victims of domestic violence. The terror and helplessness of someone who is in a truly abusive relationship is something that I hope no one I know ever experiences again. So we need to stop comparing this situation to domestic violence. It demeans true victims of an awful crime to conflate it with two drunken idiots screaming at each other in a dorm at 2 in the morning.

Yet a program that has had too many missteps takes a stand and you are offended because the person in question is tall.

The idea that this demeans other victims might be the stupidest thing you've ever posted.

You are comfortable allowing different behavior from someone because you think they can help win basketball games. I'm glad that Ollie or someone else at the University is willing to take the opposite stand.

Reaction Score
After reading most of this thread, I can't tell if I wanna laugh or cry.

I think that removing Wolf from this team severely decreases our chances of a NC. We need his body and skills. I don't agree or condone what he did yet I have to align with the justice system who dropped the charges. Either you are guilty or not. Once he is found*not guilty* that should be it. He lost 1/4 of the season as punishment. It would not cost a regular guy 48K$ if someone in a passionate moment grabbed his girlfriend by the hair--it certainly isn't right--but I cannot chime holier than thou in this case. To listen to a few posters who think they know Wolf--come on. Does the fact that this girl forgave him and his his girlfriend now weigh on anything? If she forgave--that's that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Doubt it, but KO's history is still a too short to make those kinds of predictions. Still he seems a bit too sincere to be sanctioning a guy for the media and other fans reactions.

Reaction Score
I think that removing Wolf from this team severely decreases our chances of a NC. We need his body and skills. I don't agree or condone what he did yet I have to align with the justice system who dropped the charges. Either you are guilty or not. Once he is found*not guilty* that should be it. He lost 1/4 of the season as punishment. It would not cost a regular guy 48K$ if someone in a passionate moment grabbed his girlfriend by the hair--it certainly isn't right--but I cannot chime holier than thou in this case. To listen to a few posters who think they know Wolf--come on. Does the fact that this girl forgave him and his his girlfriend now weigh on anything? If she forgave--that's that.

I like Wolf, but seriously, when did he become Okafor? He was better than Olander, but , when pressed into the C spot I liked Giffey there more than I did Olander, being better than him ain't that hard to do. You guys are overrating the hell out of his ability.

Reaction Score
I love the people who say that now we're going to get killed on the boards if Wolf doesn't come back...as if that's any different from the 22 games with Wolf in the lineup last year.

He's probably the best center of the bunch (which isn't saying much) and I hope he comes back. But let's ease up on pinning our Final Four chances on a center who averaged 3 rebounds a game last year.

I recall people being seriously concerned about our inside play when we found out that Ater Majok wasn't coming back for the 2011 season. Turns out, it wasn't that big of a problem.

Reaction Score
He gives us a few minutes and 5 fouls at the 5 spot. His short range jumper improved last year and he d was ok. That's what we get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom