Wolf arrested/suspended? | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Wolf arrested/suspended?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
If EW just left when the officers asked him to leave this would probably have been a non story. He didn't leave and the officers were forced into arresting him.

Most likely the kid got jilted and didn't handle it well. There is no way of knowing if he hit her or not. Who knows if she was trying to pull away, he grabs for her, yanks her hair, head twists and glasses fall off vs. he smacks her. I would think the former otherwise the officers would not have given him an option.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Joober, you have my heartfelt condolences.

Reaction Score
If EW just left when the officers asked him to leave this would probably have been a non story. He didn't leave and the officers were forced into arresting him.

Most likely the kid got jilted and didn't handle it well. There is no way of knowing if he hit her or not. Who knows if she was trying to pull away, he grabs for her, yanks her hair, head twists and glasses fall off vs. he smacks her. I would think the former otherwise the officers would not have given him an option.

I think freescooter is indeed misinterpreting this. There was a physical altercation, Wolf is alleged to have hit the girl She asked him to leave, and he didn't. The police arrived and arrested him. The reference to Wolf being asked to leave is NOT the police asking him to leave. It's the girl telling him to leave.

Reaction Score
BTW, my prediction is that Wolf will never play another game at UConn.

I'm going with the same prediction, even if he's innocent it's a bad look on a program trying to get a clean start. Plus, I'm sure Facey and Brimah will more than fill his shoes. I enjoyed seeing him play this year, he gave us some great minutes and seems like a good kid who may have made a mistake. We'll see on wednesday. I hope for his sake that he did nothing wrong

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I'm going with the same prediction, even if he's innocent it's a bad look on a program trying to get a clean start. Plus, I'm sure Facey and Brimah will more than fill his shoes. I enjoyed seeing him play this year, he gave us some great minutes and seems like a good kid who may have made a mistake. We'll see on wednesday. I hope for his sake that he did nothing wrong

Something doesn't smell right about the incident. The description of Wolf's actions doesn't jive with the low bail or the lack of an assault charge. It's like the police don't even believe it.

CL82

Reaction Score
The police don't have to believe it. Those are the appropriate charges based upon the allegations presented. Whether they are factual or whether there are mitigating circumstances aren't their issue.

Reaction Score
The police don't have to believe it. Those are the appropriate charges based upon the allegations presented. Whether they are factual or whether there are mitigating circumstances aren't their issue.
Please, oh dear G-d, please, don't tell me that you are a practicing lawyer, police officer, judge, or any other vocation connected with law enforcement.

The police absolutely make a determination if the allegations are likely factual. Otherwise, they would have to follow the orders of whatever idiot happened to dial 911. All it would take is one person saying, "that guy assaulted me," and the cop would have to arrest the alleged perp, by your logic.

Quite on the contrary, cops are assessing facts from the moment they begin interviewing alleged victims, alleged perps, witnesses, and so on. If they don't believe a crime has likely been committed, they are unlikely to arrest/cite for anything. If the alleged victim believes the cops have missed something, that alleged vic can file a direct criminal complaint with the DA.

To suggest, however, that cops act on allegations without regard to whether they represent fact is absurd.

On the other hand, I applaud you for having lived such a clean life that you've never been engaged by a law enforcement officer investigating a crime.

Reaction Score

If Ollie is a man of character, he will give Wolf a fair shake. Public relations be damned. You don't throw kids over the side of the boat. Mind you, I was one of the people (a minority) who agreed that Miles should have been expelled. Why? Because I don't condone this kind of violence against women. If Ollie takes his scholarship, it will be because of what he did. Not the public perception.

Reaction Score
Please, oh dear G-d, please, don't tell me that you are a practicing lawyer, police officer, judge, or any other vocation connected with law enforcement.

The police absolutely make a determination if the allegations are likely factual. Otherwise, they would have to follow the orders of whatever idiot happened to dial 911. All it would take is one person saying, "that guy assaulted me," and the cop would have to arrest the alleged perp, by your logic.

Quite on the contrary, cops are assessing facts from the moment they begin interviewing alleged victims, alleged perps, witnesses, and so on. If they don't believe a crime has likely been committed, they are unlikely to arrest/cite for anything. If the alleged victim believes the cops have missed something, that alleged vic can file a direct criminal complaint with the DA.

To suggest, however, that cops act on allegations without regard to whether they represent fact is absurd.

On the other hand, I applaud you for having lived such a clean life that you've never been engaged by a law enforcement officer investigating a crime.

From my time working in family court, I will say that the police don't like to get involved in making such decisions. They often take the opposite approach and take everyone in.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Little do we know the girl is a Cuse fan and has an ACC tattoo.

Reaction Score
I would assume Coach Ollie actually has a pretty good idea what happened and may not need to wait for all the legal process to finish.

I'm sure he's discussed it with Wolf. Maybe Wolf told him the "whole truth and nothing but the truth", maybe he didn't. If Wolf has put forward a basic.denial then Kevin has an issue and has to figure out what he believes to be the truth. If Wolf confirms the story in the police report than Coach Ollie should be able to make a decision sooner rather than later,

It seems like people assume the coaches know no more than the rest of us do. Their relationship to the player gives them a window into these incidents that we'll never get. Even if the kid chooses to lie about it, I would bet the coach knows that most of the time.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
From my time working in family court, I will say that the police don't like to get involved in making such decisions. They often take the opposite approach and take everyone in.

As I understand it, when police are called for a "domestic violence" situation, the rules change.

1. The "aggreived" party (whomever that is determined to have been) cannot decide to "not press charges".

2. Somebody (and possibly everybody) is getting cited.

Reaction Score
I would assume Coach Ollie actually has a pretty good idea what happened and may not need to wait for all the legal process to finish.

I'm sure he's discussed it with Wolf. Maybe Wolf told him the "whole truth and nothing but the truth", maybe he didn't. If Wolf has put forward a basic.denial then Kevin has an issue and has to figure out what he believes to be the truth. If Wolf confirms the story in the police report than Coach Ollie should be able to make a decision sooner rather than later,

It seems like people assume the coaches know no more than the rest of us do. Their relationship to the player gives them a window into these incidents that we'll never get. Even if the kid chooses to lie about it, I would bet the coach knows that most of the time.

I've unfortunately gone through the University's disciplinary process and they don't necessarily care about the legal process. They just want a "preponderance of evidence". So even though I was cleared of my crime, I was kicked out of school. Granted it's a different set of standards for bball players.. you could argue that's good or bad for the person in question depending on who it is.

Reaction Score
I've unfortunately gone through the University's disciplinary process and they don't necessarily care about the legal process. They just want a "preponderance of evidence". So even though I was cleared of my crime, I was kicked out of school. Granted it's a different set of standards for bball players.. you could argue that's good or bad for the person in question depending on who it is.

Is it a different set of standards? In the Marcus Williams and AJ Price case, not to mention Nate Miles, the final decisions came down from a board of faculty and students. Not Calhoun, not the administration.

Now, the same process was in play at Syracuse, and you can argue that the pressures that infected the Cuse board also come to bear at UConn, but I haven't seen a UConn professor resign not only from the board, but also his position at the school, in loud protest at the athletic department using muscle to impact the board's decision.

CL82

Reaction Score

The police absolutely make a determination if the allegations are likely factual. (I have to laugh at how you use an absolute, then add likely to give yourself wiggle room.) Otherwise, they would have to follow the orders of whatever idiot happened to dial 911. All it would take is one person saying, "that guy assaulted me," and the cop would have to arrest the alleged perp, by your logic.

Please, oh dear G-d, please, don't tell me that you are a practicing lawyer, police officer, judge, or any other vocation connected with law enforcement. I can't believe that you want to live in a world where the police are judge, jury and executioner. I can't believe you want to live in world where crimes against women aren't investigated. I can't believe you want to live in world where assaults are ignored or punishments rendered with ruthless disregard to civil rights like some 'Judge Dredd' apocalyptic vision.

Quite the contrary, we live in a world where there are checks and balances. Where the police are limited in what they can do. Where a neutral party, sometimes a judge, sometimes a jury, have a say in determining the fate a person accused of committing a crime. If the alleged victim believes that he/she has been wronged and has money damages, despite an acquittal, the alleged victim can file a civil case.

To suggest, however, that the entire judicial function should be decided on the street by the police force is absurd.

On the other hand, I applaud you for having lived such a clean life that you've never been engaged by a law enforcement officer investigating a crime. If you had, you might understand the need for checks and balances.

See what I did there? (It wasn't particularly subtle.) I took your post, made a bunch of claims that you did not make and then rebutted them. I took a bit of what you actually said and reduced it to the absurd. I suppose that's an interesting writing exercise but it doesn't really advance the discussion does it?

Now let's go back to my post:
I stand by it. The police absolutely (see what I did there?) don't need to believe a report. It isn't their function. Now look at the next sentence to see what they do have to do. They have to decide what are the appropriate (there's your discretionary function) based upon the allegations presented. As I said, the charges are appropriate based upon the allegations (person in the room without permission, physical altercation.) That doesn't mean that there Wolf doesn't have an opportunity to present his side, he does and will (and probably did at the time). Under those circumstances the police did exactly what they should have done, they charged him. If they just assume that "it's a drunk kid and everything will be alright', and that assumption is wrong...

As I've said elsewhere in this thread people should withhold judgment until all the facts come out. I am sure that there is more to the story. There almost always is.

Reaction Score
[The police] have to decide what are the appropriate . . . [charges] based upon the allegations presented. As I said, the charges are appropriate based upon the allegations (person in the room without permission, physical altercation.)
The combination of bad quotation, italics, missing words, and so on made you post difficult to read, but I believe I've ferreted out your point, which you repeated in the above quote, eliminating all doubt that this is what your originally meant.

You are wrong. Police make factual determinations every time they go out on a call. There are thousands of situations a day where they get called in and they interview people. They don't take people at their word. After all, everybody is a liar. They interview whoever they believe is relevant, and who is available, they try to figure out what the truth is regarding what happened, and then, if appropriate, they charge/cite.

Your thesis that cops hear an allegation and then charge/cite is just inaccurate, and it smacks of somebody who has little or no interaction with LEOs and/or the judicial system.

The Internet, where 3,000 posts empowers you to play Matlock.

Reaction Score
Something doesn't smell right about the incident. The description of Wolf's actions doesn't jive with the low bail or the lack of an assault charge. It's like the police don't even believe it.
The police don't have to believe it because they have few options in a domestic case. They have to arrest one or both of the people involved once someone alledges violence. The police also have little to say about bail although the judge's bail amount decision will be based upon the police report and criminal history.
He will get AR because it sounds like nobody was really injured but Wolf is done at Uconn.

Reaction Score
If I'm remembering this right, & I may not be, wasn't Rudy Johnson involved in some kind of an incident with his girlfriend when he & KO were students here? Help me jog my memory, peeps! Not saying that one has anything to do with the other, or that it will influence KO's decision, whatever that may be.
Yes Rudy was involved in an incident with a female basketball player who ended up transferring (name escapes me). Ben Gordon was also accused of some incident with a girlfriend but I can't recall the details.

Reaction Score
hildamunoz 12:41pm via Twitter for iPhone
Wolf's case was continued to March 20. Judge ordered a partial protective order and referred the case to family relations.

He completes family relations and the case is stricken from the record unless someone presses assault charges. In other words, he is clear if he completes the program and doesn't violate the protective order (Miles).

He may very well be reinstated soon.

Reaction Score
March 20 ends the season for him, no?

w/t/h is 'family relations'?? He is not married to this woman, is he??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom