WNBA Transactions (waivers etc) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

WNBA Transactions (waivers etc)

Reaction Score
It’s a shame that there aren’t more available roster spots, but I’d be interested to see a list of the top 20 players that didn’t make rosters, once all rosters are finalized. Good players but nobody that really stands out.
Yes it is a shame but dont blame the WNBA if anything blame the Oligarchs in america who only focus on investing in NBA teams or Soccer teams MLS/NWSL...and not womens basketball smh very sad.

UHF

Reaction Score
Yes it is a shame but dont blame the WNBA if anything blame the Oligarchs in america who only focus on investing in NBA teams or Soccer teams MLS/NWSL...and not womens basketball smh very sad.

Why not blame the WNBA?

People are not obligated to pay for the services of any athletes in any sports.

How many of these women have invested in any women's professional sports league?

The Richest Women in America in One Graphic

Feel free to invest your own money in the WNBA or any other cause you see fit.

;):cool::p:D

UHF

Reaction Score
1946 : NBA was born.

1970 : first year that entire NBA Finals were on national TV. Game 7 was tape delay broadcast in NY, despite the Knicks playing.

1979 thru 1981 : NBA some weeknight games were tape delayed broadcast after the late news.

WNBA finals TV coverage is ahead of the curve versus NBA finals TV coverage - historically.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Regarding approach to (final) roster compiling/cuts, I came across this quote from Connecticut Sun Coach & GM Curt Miller:

“What people fail to realize is that it’s not always the best 11 players, it’s the best 11 players that fit under the cap together,” Miller told The Next. “There are certain combinations that didn’t fit, and it contributed to some of those tough decisions.”

Sub in the number 12 for 11 in some instances and I'm sure most other GM's would agree: lot of variables that factor into roster prep.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1946 : NBA was born.

1970 : first year that entire NBA Finals were on national TV. Game 7 was tape delay broadcast in NY, despite the Knicks playing.

1979 thru 1981 : NBA some weeknight games were tape delayed broadcast after the late news.

WNBA finals TV coverage is ahead of the curve versus NBA finals TV coverage - historically.
So again, this is extremely flawed. We do realize how technology, media, and general player talent developed from 1940->1970->2020 right. These things aren’t even close to 1:1.

UHF

Reaction Score
So again, this is extremely flawed. We do realize how technology, media, and general player talent developed from 1940->1970->2020 right. These things aren’t even close to 1:1.

Neither is the NBA:WNBA, which the executives, players, and fans refuse to acknowledge.

WNBA executives and players should stop whining about inequity. Improve attitudes, performance, product, marketing, etc. Stop complaining about NBA and rich men not financially supporting their egos.

WNBA is an opportunity and a privilege. No one owes them anything.

Reaction Score
You're correct, but it developed in favor for accelerated growth for the WNBA. The WNBA formed with advantages that the NBA could only dream off...not to mention the safety net of the deep NBA pockets.

UFC started a few years before the WNBA and brought in $1.5b in revenue last year. "Time" isn't the limiting factor; "product quality/attractiveness" is.

Reaction Score
Why not blame the WNBA?

People are not obligated to pay for the services of any athletes in any sports.

How many of these women have invested in any women's professional sports league?

The Richest Women in America in One Graphic

Feel free to invest your own money in the WNBA or any other cause you see fit.

;):cool::p:D
You do understand in order for players coming out of college to have a better shot in the WNBA against proven vets is to have more teams aka more roster spots / opportunities and those just don't grow out of air lol . An owner has to be willing to sacrifice at least 2 million and pray for a profit lol that's the reason we have yet to expand other than Cathy's priorities being making all 12 profitable before expansion in which makes total sense but it also makes the league tougher to crack. Expansion is literally at the doorstep of the WNBA now relax im confident we will have at least 2 more teams in the next 2 years making 24 extra spots for the 24 best college athletes and vets that nobody else wanted aka making the product less competitive. I like what the WNBA is doing you better be a true talent coming out of college otherwise your not going to play here. We want the best of the best not fringe college players.

UHF

Reaction Score
You do understand in order for players coming out of college to have a better shot in the WNBA against proven vets is to have more teams aka more roster spots / opportunities and those just don't grow out of air lol . An owner has to be willing to sacrifice at least 2 million and pray for a profit lol that's the reason we have yet to expand other than Cathy's priorities being making all 12 profitable before expansion in which makes total sense but it also makes the league tougher to crack. Expansion is literally at the doorstep of the WNBA now relax im confident we will have at least 2 more teams in the next 2 years making 24 extra spots for the 24 best college athletes and vets that nobody else wanted aka making the product less competitive. I like what the WNBA is doing you better be a true talent coming out of college otherwise your not going to play here. We want the best of the best not fringe college players.

You do understand that my post, which you quoted, was a direct reply to you stating "blame the Oligarchs in america".

LOL. But thanks for the lecture.

Head bang

Reaction Score
You do understand that my post, which you quoted, was a direct reply to you stating "blame the Oligarchs in america".

LOL. But thanks for the lecture.

Head bang
Chitty Chitty Bang bang UHF

Reaction Score
Neither is the NBA:WNBA, which the executives, players, and fans refuse to acknowledge.

WNBA executives and players should stop whining about inequity. Improve attitudes, performance, product, marketing, etc. Stop complaining about NBA and rich men not financially supporting their egos.

WNBA is an opportunity and a privilege. No one owes them anything.
Hey I’m all onboard with you.

Reactions: UHF

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Dallas Wings Announce Friday Roster

Unique Thompson was cut. Draft picks Veronica Burton and Jasmine Dickey have both made the opening-night roster. Once Sabally and McCowan are back from overseas, roster cuts will be necessitated but at least players get a longer period to prove themselves.
Here's the Wings' release:

Arlington, Texas (May 5, 2022) – The Dallas Wings finalized their 2022 opening day roster, the team announced today. Forward Satou Sabally and center Teaira McCowan have been placed on the temporary suspended list, as they are still with teams overseas.

The Wings open their season, Saturday, May 7 at 7:00 p.m. CT at home at the College Park Center. Fans looking to attend the home opener can purchase tickets by visiting wings.wnba.com/tickets/

2022 Dallas Wings Alphabetical Roster
No.PlayerPos.CollegeExp
12Veronica BurtonGNorthwesternR
35Charli CollierF-CTexas2
23Jasmine DickeyGDelawareR
15Allisha GrayGSouth Carolina6
52Ty HarrisGSouth Carolina3
20Isabelle HarrisonFTennessee6
4Moriah JeffersonGConnecticut6
28Awak KuierFFinland2
3Marina MabreyGNotre Dame4
7Teaira McCowan*CMississippi State4
24Arike OgunbowaleGNotre Dame4
0Satou Sabally*FOregon3
6Kayla ThorntonFTexas El-Paso7

Reaction Score
The intent of the WNBA or any professional league is to make a profit, not to give anyone a platform to show off their skills. If they see a path to profit, they'll invest.

Reaction Score
The intent of the WNBA or any professional league is to make a profit, not to give anyone a platform to show off their skills. If they see a path to profit, they'll invest.
I disagree with this statement.

The purpose is to make an overall profit but not necessarily every league.

Is the NBA G league profitable? Probably not, but it does assist in the ability of the NBA to make a profit.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I was perusing opening day rosters and the Washington Mystics could be subtitled "The Long and the Short of It." They've got some very tall people in Elena Della Donne and Shakir Austin (both 6'5"), forward/center Elizabeth Williams (6'3") and forwards Myisha Hines-Allen and Tianna Hawkins (a "tall" 6'1" and 6'3", respectively).

But their guards are virtually all at or under 5'9" including the two rookies: Katie Benzan (5'6") and Rui Machida (5'4"). Now, all props to Katie Benzan for her career at Harvard and Maryland, but in this day and age when you hear some coaches profess to wanting tall guards only, it's unusual to see two guards this size crack a WNBA roster.

Reaction Score
I agree, and hopefully the league is considering that providing more opportunities may be part of that path.

Easy example for me as an Iowa fan: I woke up this morning hoping to watch both the Sky (Kathleen Doyle) and the Mercury (Megan Gustafson), but saw that Doyle got cut so just watching the Mercury game now. Whatever my viewership (and apparel, social media interaction, etc) is worth for the season is cut in half. I'm sure many of those fringe players have fans or even markets that would otherwise be tuning in if they were on a team.

There's a lot of risk in that as well, but it seems like the league certainly wants expansion and that it will happen sometime fairly soon!

Reaction Score
The Lynx have bought out Angel McCoutry’s contract and waived Odyssey Simms

I wonder if McCoughtry's knee is to the point where she decided to retire? She sounded really excited to sign with the Lynx, I don't understand this.

Reaction Score
I wonder if McCoughtry's knee is to the point where she decided to retire? She sounded really excited to sign with the Lynx, I don't understand this.

Both hers and sims were mutual

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
She's back.

Lynx update: C Elissa Cunane was signed to a hardship contract Tuesday because C Natalie Achonwa (right hamstring strain) and G Moriah Jefferson (left quadriceps strain) will be sidelined indefinitely

So sad but Moriah just does not seem tg have the body to handle the wear and tear over the long period

Reaction Score
She's back.

Lynx update: C Elissa Cunane was signed to a hardship contract Tuesday because C Natalie Achonwa (right hamstring strain) and G Moriah Jefferson (left quadriceps strain) will be sidelined indefinitely

So sad but Moriah just does not seem tg have the body to handle the wear and tear over the long period
Drat, regarding Moriah. Thought she was making some inroads as part of the Lynx roster. Hopefully this strain isn't too serious.

Achonwa's injury status is confusing. I thought Minnesota had announced she was good to play again. Obviously she had a set back. She's also has had a lot of bad luck with injuries.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom