WNBA Transactions (waivers etc) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

WNBA Transactions (waivers etc)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Saw a mention this may be a restructuring. Was Crystal on a 2nd contract?

I also saw a mention that the Lynx had signed Napheesa to a long-term contract but had to keep her on the roster regardless of her status, so at most they'd have 11 players this year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I also saw a mention that the Lynx had signed Napheesa to a long-term contract but had to keep her on the roster regardless of her status, so at most they'd have 11 players this year.

I was reading this earlier and it looks like they’ll be able to sign replacement players for the start of the season.

“The Lynx are planning to go into the regular season with an 11-player roster, due to cap concerns. But when the Lynx submit that roster to the league Thursday it will include Damiris Dantas, who is currently injured, Napheesa Collier, who is expecting her first child in late May, and Kayla McBride, who will likely miss at least the first two weeks of the season.

Because of that the WNBA will allow the Lynx to sign two replacement players in time for Friday's opener in Seattle. Because of league rules that pair a replacement player to the player currently unavailable, the Lynx are likely to be making a number of moves early in the season as players either get healthy or return from overseas.”

Reaction Score
The Phoenix Mercury have waived Kiana Williams, Emma Cannon, Vivian Gray, and Jennie Simms.

The Washington Mystics have waived Linnae Harper and Stephanie Mavunga.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
The Phoenix Mercury have waived Kiana Williams, Emma Cannon, Vivian Gray, and Jennie Simms.

The Washington Mystics have waived Linnae Harper and Stephanie Mavunga.
The WNBA gave Phoenix an exemption for Brittany Griner's position, so the Mercury can fill that roster spot, right?

So far, Maya Dodson and Kristine Anigwe, the former Cal forward who's bounced around a bit since graduating, are the beneficiaries of this. They're both on the roster. Interestingly, on the flip side of the comment I made about back-to-the-basket centers not making the rosters, Dodson and Anigwe can both move in the open court. They'll be asked to spell Tina Charles and Breezy Bri Turner, forwards who can get coast to coast, as well.

BTW, out of the 12 players currently listed on the Mercury roster, three each are from ND (Diggins-Smith, Turner, Dodson) and UConn (Taurasi, Charles, Nurse). Half the roster from two schools.

Reaction Score
The WNBA gave Phoenix an exemption for Brittany Griner's position, so the Mercury can fill that roster spot, right?

So far, Maya Dodson and Kristine Anigwe, the former Cal forward who's bounced around a bit since graduating, are the beneficiaries of this. They're both on the roster. Interestingly, on the flip side of the comment I made about back-to-the-basket centers not making the rosters, Dodson and Anigwe can both move in the open court. They'll be asked to spell Tina Charles and Breezy Bri Turner, forwards who can get coast to coast, as well.

BTW, out of the 12 players currently listed on the Mercury roster, three each are from ND (Diggins-Smith, Turner, Dodson) and UConn (Taurasi, Charles, Nurse). Half the roster from two schools.
Doesn't Stanford get a little credit for Dodson????;)

Reaction Score

Yeah. I believe I read that part about them (Phoenix) having some type of an exemption where they could hold that spot for Brittany.

Wow. I did not realize that UConn & ND had half of the roster for Phoenix. I would love to be at those practice sessions when the trash talking starts. :D

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I hope so. Solid point guard. Great leadership. Unselfish.
There are some "huh" cuts going on right now that epitomize how tough it is to make this league in terms of numbers, both roster spots and cap space. From everything I've read many cuts made on Tuesday and today could be precursors to players being resigned on Friday under different contracts that allow teams to keep players onboard. Stay tuned on that but the fact that players of this caliber are going through this is still a wowsa response.
  • Crystal Dangerfield has a spectacular season in Israel and may or may not be brought back to the Lynx.
  • Lindsay Allen gets played a bunch by Marianne Stanley last year, leads the Melbourne Boomers to the Aussie title in the offseason and gets the axe today. Will she get signed back? Or are there too many guards on the roster?
  • And in Dallas, if Veronica Burton makes the team, will Tyasha Harris and/or Moriah Jefferson (both) make the team?

A number of folks have hoped guards like this, if cut, get picked up elsewhere, but I'm skeptical of that happening unless there's a direct connection. Virtually all teams have challenges to trim their rosters and bringing in folks from outside usually happens only when a player is known by the team (see Odyssey Sims and Minnesota).

Tough league. Stay tuned until Friday and/or when players all get back from overseas.

Reaction Score

Too bad. I was rooting for Williams-Holliday. She was a nice story, although the odds were heavily stacked against her.

Surprised about Lindsey Allen. Destanni Henderson is probably the happiest person in Indiana right now...

Reaction Score
Rosters are not made for talent but for salary cap, and that's where the WNBA is not good
And it will never be unless you let the reliable franchises do their thing
Yes, we could have years of dominance of a wealthy team
Isn't it time to grow ?

The no overseas rule is stupid, develop your own league

Reaction Score
Gabby Williams is supposed to sign with Lyon Tony Parkers's ASVELles
In France, the playoffs go to early June..
With Prioritization rule, Gab will be unavailable for the WNBA,
I hope it will be her choice to go for France Natioal Team and to play for a french team domestic & EuroLeague

As I see it now, EuroLeague is a better line as an achievement than a W title

Probably, everyone in the world, except americans, agree with me, the W is full of talents for sure at the moment, we'll see in 2 years when players will have to make their choice ...

Reaction Score
Gabby Williams is supposed to sign with Lyon Tony Parkers's ASVELles
In France, the playoffs go to early June..
With Prioritization rule, Gab will be unavailable for the WNBA,
I hope it will be her choice to go for France Natioal Team and to play for a french team domestic & EuroLeague

As I see it now, EuroLeague is a better line as an achievement than a W title

Probably, everyone in the world, except americans, agree with me, the W is full of talents for sure at the moment, we'll see in 2 years when players will have to make their choice ...
All its going to take is for players like Stewie, and Jones to take a year off to rest, for the league to realize it is a bad deal.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Allen has experience but her salary is higher. Henderson is faster, a better 3 point shooter, and higher upside in my opinion.
I don't think this is really a Henderson vs. Allen scenario.
The salaries that probably are doing Allen in are those of Bria Hartley and Danielle Robinson. While both of those players bring their unique talents to the floor, one could argue that they both are a bit more of a "I'll look for my shot" if it's there.

BTW, Allen is a consummate point guard. Henderson is faster, but we'll see how her three-pt. shot holds up in the pro game versus college. As for upside, well....potential is a promise not filled yet. Allen, once again, was second-team All-Aussie league and MVP of the playoffs for her league-winning Melbourne Boomers. Leadership is part of the gig, too.

Once again, let's see what happens on Friday after the mandatory 48-hr. period.

Reaction Score
Rosters are not made for talent but for salary cap, and that's where the WNBA is not good
Yes, we could have years of dominance of a wealthy team
Isn't it time to grow ?

The no overseas rule is stupid, develop your own league
You do realize they just started having a salary cap 2 years ago ? Teams are learning what and what not do o its still a trial phase for most GM's lol .

Reaction Score
All its going to take is for players like Stewie, and Jones to take a year off to rest, for the league to realize it is a bad deal.
The league would just market the next big thing. No 1 player is bigger than the WNBA regardless who they are. We have seen DT sit out a year , CP sit out a year , Multiple big stars sitting out and the WNBA kept trucking.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

Partially agree with your first line: the CBA in the WNBA is built for superstars, but then punishes the team and rest of the players.

As for the second point: My gut is WNBA management is looking to get outside investment for the entire league. If you go the route you suggest, you'll look like a lot of the football (soccer) world and the Yankees in the Steinbrenner era.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom