WNBA Transactions (waivers etc) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

WNBA Transactions (waivers etc)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Yes lol Henderson can score allen is an offensive liability being a passer mostly .
Actually, WFFL, she's not a liability anymore: Allen averaged more than 17 ppg this year in the Australian league. Her three-pt shooting is vastly improved.
She doesn't have to be the scoring PG here: Indiana has a young Henderson and an older Robinson for that.
Allen brings a very focused, calm hand at the rudder. Plus, she's well known as a mentor.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Actually, WFFL, she's not. Allen averaged more than 17 ppg this year in the Australian league. Her three-pt shooting is vastly improved.
She doesn't have to be the scoring PG here: Indiana has a young Henderson and an older Robinson for that.
Allen brings a very focused, calm hand at the rudder. Plus, she's well known as a mentor.
What has she average in her WNBA career not the Australian league ? Ill wait......overall its Rookie Scale contract versus Vet Minimum lol

Reaction Score
Sincerely, would you trade an Allen for an Henderson ?
I’m not sure. I’m not saying Allen is better or worse or that she deserved to be cut. I was challenging your assertion that Henderson doesn’t deserve a spot in the W. The Fever would seem to disagree, for what it’s worth.
Actually, WFFL, she's not a liability anymore: Allen averaged more than 17 ppg this year in the Australian league. Her three-pt shooting is vastly improved.
She doesn’t have the flashiness of other PGs in the league and I sometimes wonder if that hurts her. I’m a fan; I like how cerebral she is and always has been.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I've been thinking it for a while, the WNBA almost doesn't need to bother having a draft. It's next to worthless. Many of the teams don't appear to use it as a way to improve themselves. With players like Boston and Bueckers coming along soon, obviously there will be a lot of jockeying for the #1 pick in the next few drafts, but you get outside the top 3 or 4 and it's almost like throwing darts at a wall blindfolded rather than really doing due diligence with draft picks. It CERTAINLY doesn't need to be 3 rounds.

Reaction Score
I don't think this is really a Henderson vs. Allen scenario.
The salaries that probably are doing Allen in are those of Bria Hartley and Danielle Robinson. While both of those players bring their unique talents to the floor, one could argue that they both are a bit more of a "I'll look for my shot" if it's there.

BTW, Allen is a consummate point guard. Henderson is faster, but we'll see how her three-pt. shot holds up in the pro game versus college. As for upside, well....potential is a promise not filled yet. Allen, once again, was second-team All-Aussie league and MVP of the playoffs for her league-winning Melbourne Boomers. Leadership is part of the gig, too.

Once again, let's see what happens on Friday after the mandatory 48-hr. period.
I saw that Allen's play got better once she got to Indiana. Did not know about her accolades overseas. It could just be a temporary salary dump for cap space.

Reaction Score
I've been thinking it for a while, the WNBA almost doesn't need to bother having a draft. It's next to worthless. Many of the teams don't appear to use it as a way to improve themselves. With players like Boston and Bueckers coming along soon, obviously there will be a lot of jockeying for the #1 pick in the next few drafts, but you get outside the top 3 or 4 and it's almost like throwing darts at a wall blindfolded rather than really doing due diligence with draft picks. It CERTAINLY doesn't need to be 3 rounds.
That's my opinion as well. There's no reason for it to be 3 rounds. Sometimes, it's hard to fill 2 rounds with players that have a snowball's chance in hell of making a roster.

Reaction Score
That's my opinion as well. There's no reason for it to be 3 rounds. Sometimes, it's hard to fill 2 rounds with players that have a snowball's chance in hell of making a roster.

this is why wnba mock drafts one year in advance, or even some I have seen mock draft for like 2025? Pure click bait

Reaction Score
Given this is how it is with the WNBA years after years, why do a lot of college players continue to fool themselves into thinking that they have a chance to go play in the W. I say their goal should be to get the best education they can get for free.

Reaction Score
Given this is how it is with the WNBA years after years, why do a lot of college players continue to fool themselves into thinking that they have a chance to go play in the W. I say their goal should be to get the best education they can get for free.
I think there is a lot of straight-up delusion with the WNBA players. They seem to think that the NBA owes them huge salaries and more financial investment. The believe that the league's growth strategy is simply, "Hey NBA! We want more money!" And this now trickles down to the college players getting ready to (attempt to) enter the league.

They should have paid more attention during their Econ and Accounting classes. It's like they have zero idea how about how businesses operate financially.

Reaction Score
I think there is a lot of straight-up delusion with the WNBA players. They seem to think that the NBA owes them huge salaries and more financial investment. The believe that the league's growth strategy is simply, "Hey NBA! We want more money!" And this now trickles down to the college players getting ready to (attempt to) enter the league.

They should have paid more attention during their Econ and Accounting classes. It's like they have zero idea how about how businesses operate financially.

I don't believe that's a fair assessment. There's nothing wrong with pointing out the disparity while working on ways to improve the situation. It's also not all on the players to improve the financial situation. The league has to do a lot of the work to help them get to that point. The NBA was bleeding money for a long time before things improved. That was decades if I remember correctly.

Several of the players involved with the union are capable and have a good understanding about finance. Look at what many of them are doing off the court with their personal businesses. The CBA they negotiated made significant inroads in comparison to previous deals.

In the past year, viewership has increased and the WNBA has take advantage and negotiated a better broadcasting deal which will help build viewership. These types of inroads is what will help the league. Add in the increased interest in NCAAW, I believe the momentum will continue to build.

This generation of WNBA players are a lot more media and business saavy. Look at Destiny Henderson having a clothing line running before she even graduated. They're fully aware that there's more to life than basketball and are planning accordingly.

Unfortunately it's going to take time even though we as fans wish it would happen faster. We have to be patient and support the game wherever we can.

Reaction Score
I don't believe that's a fair assessment. There's nothing wrong with pointing out the disparity while working on ways to improve the situation. It's also not all on the players to improve the financial situation. The league has to do a lot of the work to help them get to that point. The NBA was bleeding money for a long time before things improved. That was decades if I remember correctly.

Several of the players involved with the union are capable and have a good understanding about finance. Look at what many of them are doing off the court with their personal businesses. The CBA they negotiated made significant inroads in comparison to previous deals.

In the past year, viewership has increased and the WNBA has take advantage and negotiated a better broadcasting deal which will help build viewership. These types of inroads is what will help the league. Add in the increased interest in NCAAW, I believe the momentum will continue to build.

This generation of WNBA players are a lot more media and business saavy. Look at Destiny Henderson having a clothing line running before she even graduated. They're fully aware that there's more to life than basketball and are planning accordingly.

Unfortunately it's going to take time even though we as fans wish it would happen faster. We have to be patient and support the game wherever we can.
What's the disparity? Two separate leagues, so it would be expected that they have two compensation models. The unpleasant truth for the WNBA is that it has fairly low market value in the grand scheme of professional sports and has a niche following. There would be no WNBA if not for the fact that the NBA is willing to lose money each year that the WNBA is on their P&L. That's not exactly a secret, so for the players to then complain that they aren't being paid their fair share is just complete delusion on their part.

While viewership has improved, it's still paltry. Less than professional bowling and other sports shown "ESPN The Ocho". And there's probably a fairly low ceiling. Women's basketball is just not that popular. College is an anomaly because of the association with schools, but how many of those school fans follow their graduates to the WNBA? Probably not a lot...even UConn as evidenced by posts in the main board.

I will give you that this generation of WNBA players is more media and business savvy...but for their own personal benefit. Frankly, they don't give back enough to the WNBA to help grow the sport, and that's a crying shame. You get all the complaining about the salaries, and some really disrespectful stuff from players like Cambage saying it's "not worth my time" and even veterans like Taurasi who take a check to skip the summer play so she can be rested for her Russian team season. If the players don't care about the league, why should the fans? I've supported the league since inception, but the attitudes and entitlement of the current players has been a huge turn-off for me. I doubt I'll be a regular follower once Candace Parker retires, if I'm being honest...unless the players get a reality check and realize how lucky they are to even have an opportunity to play in the USA.

Reaction Score
What's the disparity? Two separate leagues, so it would be expected that they have two compensation models. The unpleasant truth for the WNBA is that it has fairly low market value in the grand scheme of professional sports and has a niche following. There would be no WNBA if not for the fact that the NBA is willing to lose money each year that the WNBA is on their P&L. That's not exactly a secret, so for the players to then complain that they aren't being paid their fair share is just complete delusion on their part.

While viewership has improved, it's still paltry. Less than professional bowling and other sports shown "ESPN The Ocho". And there's probably a fairly low ceiling. Women's basketball is just not that popular. College is an anomaly because of the association with schools, but how many of those school fans follow their graduates to the WNBA? Probably not a lot...even UConn as evidenced by posts in the main board.

I will give you that this generation of WNBA players is more media and business savvy...but for their own personal benefit. Frankly, they don't give back enough to the WNBA to help grow the sport, and that's a crying shame. You get all the complaining about the salaries, and some really disrespectful stuff from players like Cambage saying it's "not worth my time" and even veterans like Taurasi who take a check to skip the summer play so she can be rested for her Russian team season. If the players don't care about the league, why should the fans? I've supported the league since inception, but the attitudes and entitlement of the current players has been a huge turn-off for me. I doubt I'll be a regular follower once Candace Parker retires, if I'm being honest...unless the players get a reality check and realize how lucky they are to even have an opportunity to play in the USA.
Not denying that the WNBA is in a different position than the NBA however it doesn't mean that the league can't get there eventually. Like I pointed out, the NBA suffered with attendance, TV viewership, etc., for decades before things changed in the 80s. People thought the NBA wasn't worth the effort and fortunately the owners stuck with it and see where the league is now. So why couldn't it be the same for the WNBA if it gets a similar level of support and is given the time to grow?

I agree that the popularity of women's basketball is growing in North America, but it's still a long ways away from what it's like in Europe. Viewership will continue to build provided the WNBA continues to get more exposure. With the new TV deal in place, it should help give us a better indication as to where things stand. I was pleasantly surprised that the WNBA also has a contract with TSN, our major sports network in Canada to broadcast games as well. The fact that they've been able to land these deals a couple years since the new commissioner came on board gives me hope that their plans are on track.

I disagree with your point that the current generation of WNBA players are in it for themselves. We don't know all of what these players are doing in their spare time. Sure, they're building their brands but they could also be doing things in the community that we may not be aware of. Similar to people assuming NBA and NFL players are in it for themselves when they have their own personal foundations that they support and fund in their spare time. I believe a lot of these players do realize they're lucky if they get their opportunity to play in the US.

It's unfortunate that you've soured on the players in the WNBA because I think the upcoming generation is going to be a lot of fun to watch and could help further expand the impact of the league. Only time will tell.

Reaction Score
Not denying that the WNBA is in a different position than the NBA however it doesn't mean that the league can't get there eventually. Like I pointed out, the NBA suffered with attendance, TV viewership, etc., for decades before things changed in the 80s. People thought the NBA wasn't worth the effort and fortunately the owners stuck with it and see where the league is now. So why couldn't it be the same for the WNBA if it gets a similar level of support and is given the time to grow?

I agree that the popularity of women's basketball is growing in North America, but it's still a long ways away from what it's like in Europe. Viewership will continue to build provided the WNBA continues to get more exposure. With the new TV deal in place, it should help give us a better indication as to where things stand. I was pleasantly surprised that the WNBA also has a contract with TSN, our major sports network in Canada to broadcast games as well. The fact that they've been able to land these deals a couple years since the new commissioner came on board gives me hope that their plans are on track.

I disagree with your point that the current generation of WNBA players are in it for themselves. We don't know all of what these players are doing in their spare time. Sure, they're building their brands but they could also be doing things in the community that we may not be aware of. Similar to people assuming NBA and NFL players are in it for themselves when they have their own personal foundations that they support and fund in their spare time. I believe a lot of these players do realize they're lucky if they get their opportunity to play in the US.

It's unfortunate that you've soured on the players in the WNBA because I think the upcoming generation is going to be a lot of fun to watch and could help further expand the impact of the league. Only time will tell.
The big miscalculation here is comparing the 80s to the 2020s.

Reaction Score
The big miscalculation here is comparing the 80s to the 2020s.
Why? Back then, people didn't see the sport being able to compete with established leagues like MLB, NFL and the NHL. All I'm stating is that it took time for the NBA to take hold and that it was given time to succeed once the right people were in place.

Reaction Score
I think a lot of people who complain about the WNBA and these brutal cuts honestly dont watch it LOL yes these players /rookies are college stars but they are NOWHERE near the competition they face in the WNBA so some of these things have to be done financial wise and talent wise.

Reaction Score
It’s a shame that there aren’t more available roster spots, but I’d be interested to see a list of the top 20 players that didn’t make rosters, once all rosters are finalized. Good players but nobody that really stands out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom