WNBA thread | Page 29 | The Boneyard

WNBA thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Especially once DT went down earlier in the season, Griner seems to have taken it on herself to finally play like the dominant player she always could be. I don't know who's to "blame" for why this hasn't happened before on a consistent basis, but it's been a full 5 seasons since she, a 6-9 once in a generation player, has averaged more than 8rpg, and this year she's shot up to 9.5rpg while also being in the top 5 in he league in scoring, blocks and FG%.

But Phoenix is an average to bad defensive team (They rank 9th out of 12 teams in defensive rating), which could work if they had an amazing offense...but they don't (8th out of 12 teams in offensive rating). As others have said, Griner and SDS can get you far, but without DT, the pieces around them are pretty weak.

Kind of a head-scratcher isn't it? One, for all the reasons you bring up and also because I think there are -- or at least planned -- complementary pieces in place that for some reason don't end up making the whole better.

Bri Turner, in Grinter's absence last year, was named to the WNBA First Team and led the league in blocks. This season she's right behind Griner at 8.8 rpg and 1.7 bpg. This theoretically could/should be a twin tower of defense and rebounding, but hasn't necessarily worked. While Turner has wheels, I'm not sure she has the speed to come out to the perimeter and deal with quicker #4's.

On offense, Bri passes up looks and seemingly defers to others. That can hurt overall team efficiency on offense. I felt Sophie Cunningham did this when she came off the bench.

Coach Brondello. has said Turner is a "5." Maybe it's best to exchange one of your 5's (Turner) for a true 4. For instance, Dallas truly needs an inside defensive presence and they're playing Thornton as a 3, when she's a true 4 (but Sabally is there). Just a thought.

And/or of course, the 3, for whatever reason, is up and down.

Lastly, re: Griner. BG has not maximized her WNBA career, I agree. But she reports to duty for the U.S.A. team and when she's on, raises the stakes for anyone playing the U.S. This year, I think BG, Fowles and Tina Charles make matters virtually impossble for any other team. And that' not even taking Stewie and Wilson into account.

Reaction Score
Kind of a head-scratcher isn't it? One, for all the reasons you bring up and also because I think there are -- or at least planned -- complementary pieces in place that for some reason don't end up making the whole better.

Bri Turner, in Grinter's absence last year, was named to the WNBA First Team and led the league in blocks. This season she's right behind Griner at 8.8 rpg and 1.7 bpg. This theoretically could/should be a twin tower of defense and rebounding, but hasn't necessarily worked. While Turner has wheels, I'm not sure she has the speed to come out to the perimeter and deal with quicker #4's.

On offense, Bri passes up looks and seemingly defers to others. That can hurt overall team efficiency on offense. I felt Sophie Cunningham did this when she came off the bench.

Coach Brondello. has said Turner is a "5." Maybe it's best to exchange one of your 5's (Turner) for a true 4. For instance, Dallas truly needs an inside defensive presence and they're playing Thornton as a 3, when she's a true 4 (but Sabally is there). Just a thought.

And/or of course, the 3, for whatever reason, is up and down.

Lastly, re: Griner. BG has not maximized her WNBA career, I agree. But she reports to duty for the U.S.A. team and when she's on, raises the stakes for anyone playing the U.S. This year, I think BG, Fowles and Tina Charles make matters virtually impossble for any other team. And that' not even taking Stewie and Wilson into account.
The 2 best players in the world in Stewie, and Wilson, add Charles , Fowler, and Griner, if you get any defense from the guards, very hard for anyone to stay close.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The 2 best players in the world in Stewie, and Wilson, add Charles , Fowler, and Griner, if you get any defense from the guards, very hard for anyone to stay close.
Assuming the Olympics go off as planned, the gold medal for Olympic WBB is the surest of sure things.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Especially once DT went down earlier in the season, Griner seems to have taken it on herself to finally play like the dominant player she always could be. I don't know who's to "blame" for why this hasn't happened before on a consistent basis, but it's been a full 5 seasons since she, a 6-9 once in a generation player, has averaged more than 8rpg, and this year she's shot up to 9.5rpg while also being in the top 5 in he league in scoring, blocks and FG%.

But Phoenix is an average to bad defensive team (They rank 9th out of 12 teams in defensive rating), which could work if they had an amazing offense...but they don't (8th out of 12 teams in offensive rating). As others have said, Griner and SDS can get you far, but without DT, the pieces around them are pretty weak.
I haven't watched a lot of WNBA basketball this year, but seriously how on earth is Phoenix a less than stellar defensive team with 4 starters being Kia Nurse, BG, Brianna Turner and Diggins-Smith??

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I haven't watched a lot of WNBA basketball this year, but seriously how on earth is Phoenix a less than stellar defensive team with 4 starters being Kia Nurse, BG, Brianna Turner and Diggins-Smith??
The only thing I can say is that defense has to be played as a team, and good individual defenders don't make a good team defense if they don't play in concert. The Mercury look disorganized about half the time on offense and on defense.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
McCowan's playing like her senior year in college tonight. Indiana's up 11 over the Liberty going into the fourth quarter.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Phoenix knocks off Las Vegas and Seattle back to back games. Still no D. Big games for Griner and SDS again.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Minnesota all over Las Vegas in Q1. Dantas going off. No Cambage tonight (the Seattle Aussie Olympians were also out tonight).

Reaction Score
Phoenix knocks off Las Vegas and Seattle back to back games. Still no D. Big games for Griner and SDS again.
Seattle without Talbot or Ezi is not a very good team. Las Vegas minus Liz still has most of their best players, Hamby should play more.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Clarendon is killing the Aces again.

A'ja is 3-14 shooting today. Oof. Not what they needed w/ Cambage not playing.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Plum and Hamby leading them w/ 12 points each. It might be time to shake up the starting lineup. Not a high enough energy level from the starters it seems like. Why wait 5+ minutes into the game to get a shot in the arm from a couple of bench players?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Lynx hammering the Aces w/ Collier doing nothing much, who would've guessed that would happen?

edit--when I typed that she had 3 points on 1-9 shooting, she's hit a couple buckets in a row since

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I don't know if this is true or not. On Rebkell they are saying Brondello instructed her Aussie Olympians to sit out the last couple games before the break. So...she kept a couple players from her opponent's team from playing in a game she's coaching, that's gotta be a conflict of interest isn't it? Everything about the WNBA in Olympics years is just bizarre though.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Aces in the too little too late department have cut a 17 point deficit down to 10, but only 30 seconds left. Another good 2nd half for Plum after a quiet first half. She's tied for a game high 18 w/ Clarendon.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Not good news. That was a hard collision Crystal did not look good. Not sure if it was a blatant moving pic.

"They had two more fouls [eight] than Layshia Clarendon [six]," said Reeve, who was particularly angered by what appeared to be a moving screen by A'ja Wilson that Lynx point guard Crystal Dangerfield crashed into in the third quarter, injuring her right shoulder. Last year's WNBA Rookie of the Year did not return to the game.

Balanced Lynx thump Las Vegas for sixth consecutive victory - StarTribune.com

Napheesa having some offensive difficulties. Especially with her handle leading to TO's but is the clear leader of the defensive side and communicates all the time Only played 36.5 minutes. :eek:

Reaction Score
McCowan's playing like her senior year in college tonight. Indiana's up 11 over the Liberty going into the fourth quarter.
Teiara has potential to do well and she's had some good games, just needs to string together a few in a row. Being on Indiana doesn't help matters.

My hope for Vivians is shrinking. Her injury after her rookie year really slowed her down. I didn't think she would be an all star but hoped she would be a consistent starter in the league. Still love the Lady Dogs though.

Reaction Score
Seattle without Talbot or Ezi is not a very good team. Las Vegas minus Liz still has most of their best players, Hamby should play more.
Seattle without Bird, Loyd, and Stewart is a lottery team. Leave those three players out and start Ezi, Talbot and rest of the Seattle players and see how good they are.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
So...

Indiana is on a two game winning streak.
Las Vegas is on a two game losing streak.
MN might be the best team in the league on this date--July 10, 2021.
And Phx, led by Griner and SDS on a mission, suddenly looks scary (but is still right at .500).

And...the league is about to take big Olympic break.

I know nothing anymore.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Lynx beat the Aces and took no free throws. That might be a WNBA first.
I've certainly never seen that before, especially for a team that plays so much inside. Fouls 20-8. I'll have to watch the game tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom