WNBA Playoffs Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

WNBA Playoffs Thread

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
One thing I notice, both Plum and Sabrina never seem to tire when they are on the court. 2 California girls who played college in the PNW.
I know Plum has caught the fitness bug with Sue Bird being one of her mentors in this area. Not sure I see that in Sabrina. I think right now, she is just too ornery to get tired.

Reaction Score
I found this end of year report by Lynx coach Reeve very interesting and in an alternate universe, could see Geno use the same language

But the biggest problem, the thing that had Reeve questioning herself as a coach, was that she was never able to get the team to commit to working hard enough to consistently win.

Reeve said the team had a similar problem in 2021, but the presence of Collier and Clarendon's steady play masked that. But this summer, the losing exposed the problem.

"We've been the same team for two years," Reeve said. "A little more averse to working hard, plain and simple. They want less, not more. They want less drills, not more. It was hard for me to convince them that what we were doing wasn't good enough. I tried to get on 'em. I tried yelling at them. I tried to leave 'em alone. I was not able to get through to this group. With this team, I had to accept less."

Found this kind of surprising considering who have been part of the team these past 2 seasons. I'm having a hard time envisioning some of these players not willing to put in the work. Really disappointing.

Reaction Score
It was close because the Aces could not make any shots. I am enjoying the Big Fundamental (Gustafson) playing so well.
I am super happy for Gustafson. Huge fan. Been watching her whole career from high school (Wisconsin) into the Big Ten (Iowa). Gifted player and I love the Big Fundamental reference. Her game is just that, fundamentally sound.

Reaction Score
Found this kind of surprising considering who have been part of the team these past 2 seasons. I'm having a hard time envisioning some of these players not willing to put in the work. Really disappointing.
Thanks for sharing this article. As a Lynx fan, this year was tough. Heck even in preseason, there was an odd vibe about the team. There wasn't that usual "Togetherness" about the team. It just wasn't authentic enough. Maybe it was the roster moves and injuries. I mean letting Crystal Dangerfield & Layshia Clarendon go, just took the heart out of the team, from a fan's perspective. Then we had the whole weird situation with Odyssey Sims and Angel McCoughtry. Throw in the injuries to Achonwa and Dantas. Having Kayla McBride joining the team a few games later. Mo Jeff and Evina joining the roster and then Mo getting hurt and then releasing Evina. Throw in the injury to Fowles. Oh, and we cannot forget Naphessa but that is a positive situation and nothing against her. We just had a rough season.

Reaction Score
Satou Sabally back. Hits a pure 3 pt shot in the corner and a 70 ft heave to beat the buzzer at end of Q1. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
Las Vegas, and Connecticut will sweep. New York and Washington have a great chance to get to the second round.
Washington has the best defense in the league, and since Tina has started Seattle can't play defense. She has never been great at defense and appears slow now.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Gabby with an incredible start to the game. Defensive steals, block, assists, rebounds, buckets, energy.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Good competitive game. Washington with EDD made a good run to end 2Q.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The level of skill in the Seattle-Mystics game is very high. Great game.
EDD is looking great. She looks physically stronger than ever. They had a piece where they were talking about alot of different treatment strategies as well as mind and body exercises.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Lloyd is a weird player. She can score 38 points and then not be able to hit the broad side of a barn the next game. Her lack of consistency is something that makes it tough for the Storm.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Better late than never. Loyd saved the Storm's bacon in this one.

Weird stat, regular season assist leader Cloud only had 1 tonight. Bird only had 2.
Weirder stat. Gabby 2-2 from 3. ;)

Seriously, she was all over the court (especially in the 3rd). But she does get in trouble with some super difficult passes.

And Gabby's challenge on EDD with a chance to tie was special

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Wow what a game tonight. That was a Finals atmopshere tonight between Seattle's crowd and the level of play from both teams. Loyd came up absolutely huge down the stretch after being a complete no show. EDD was playing out of her mind but teammates couldn't get the job done once she started getting double teamed. A really bad turnover by Cloud down the stretch who otherwise had a great game.

Also worth noting--Seattle's balance was fantastic tonight. Stewart was the star and Loyd came through down the stretch but solid contributions from others like Charles, Magbegor, Williams and Bird. Can't wait for game 2.

Reaction Score
Did Gabby get tired of hearing from @baggerbob ;)

Said before she needs to be involved in the offense, which at the end of the season she has been. She has made teams have to be aware, she can beat anyone off the dribble, and take it to the rack.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
"We've been the same team for two years," Reeve said. "A little more averse to working hard, plain and simple. They want less, not more. They want less drills, not more. It was hard for me to convince them that what we were doing wasn't good enough. I tried to get on 'em. I tried yelling at them. I tried to leave 'em alone. I was not able to get through to this group. With this team, I had to accept less."
I can believe this. I went to the Sun game last Sunday and the only player who seemed to care was Aerial Powers. I was very disappointed to see Mo Jeff play with such ambivalence.

Reaction Score
Highlights

Apparently, playing in Seattle and their new arenas is an eye opener. In a post game presser question, EDD was raving about the atmosphere and (sought of) implying she would love to play there

Hmmm… didn’t she request a trade to DC to be closer to home?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
One thing I notice, both Plum and Sabrina never seem to tire when they are on the court. 2 California girls who played college in the PNW.
Kelsey worked out with Sue Bird's support team after her injury. She says she feels that she is better shape than anyone. It gives her confidence.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Highlights

Apparently, playing in Seattle and their new arenas is an eye opener. In a post game presser question, EDD was raving about the atmosphere and (sought of) implying she would love to play there

I was chatting with Mike T. at the World Cup in Tenerife, and he was talking up the new Mystics arena. It's nice, but seats only 4,200 and is out of the way. The Seattle arena seats 18,000 and was full for Sue's last game. I think they had nearly 10,000 last night.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom