WNBA Playoffs Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

WNBA Playoffs Thread

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Wow, that didn't take long to be incorrect. Great comments regarding Johannès @nwhoopfan . I was about to praise NY for how well their offense looked even in defeat until they completely owned the final 3½ minutes. Brondello had them spaced and sharing the basketball brilliantly. So many great performances - Howard, Sabrina, Laney, Dolson, Marine, etc.

I thought Azura played really well for the Sky. Kah is so good with and without the basketball, but it looked to me that she was drawing so much attention on her drives that she could dish for an easier bucket. Allemand has looked out of sorts for nearly a month. Vandersloot & Candace were very solid, but Chicago completely imploded at the end. I remember another on point comment from @nwhoopfan that sometimes Quigley's 3s look so forced. Congrats to the Lib fans.
The Liberty can still sweep. :D

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Wilson was a big disappointment in the playoffs in '21, and she's at it again. Maybe it's Turner, but if that's the case she doesn't need to be shooting so much.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
What a great game to open the playoffs. Tightly contested back and forth battle with NY making some huge plays down the stretch to pull off the improbable win. Dolson and Stevens were huge for their respective teams. Parker with a big game but faded down the stretch. Chicago just looked completely gassed at the end of the game--really rushed shots that were lazy, missed FTs....just completely outplayed in the last few minutes. Some really ugly looking shots from Quigley (who has maybe the prettiest shot in the league).

New York played about as well as they could've hoped, as a team they shot 49% from the floor, 44% from 3, 93% from the line and had a 28/8 A/TO ratio. You wont lose many games with that kind of efficiency. Ionescu with a brilliant statline of 22 points, 7 boards, 6 assists, 1 TO, 8-12 FG. She hit some really tough shots too. Laney was outstanding as well. This was WNBA basketball at its finest tonight. Excited to see the rest of these playoffs.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Merc hanging around. This shouldn't be remotely close, but it is. Wilson is shooting 1-8. Young, Plum and Gray have combined for 31 at the half. DeShields leading everybody w/ 13.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
This game has gotten almost laughably bad. Really uninspired effort by Vegas. 51-46 thru Q3. Wilson still can't find her game.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Refs starting to hand out Flagrant 1 calls like candy. Both were the incorrect call IMO. Each team got one so I guess it evens out.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
This final score not at all representative of how the game actually went. Vegas putting a ton of window dressing on at the end. Merc was scrappy and kept it close for about 35 minutes. During the back breaking run Plum had 4 points and 2 assists. Game high 22, tied Gray for a team high 4 assists. Stokes matched Wilson's 8 pts. and grabbed 1 more board, 13 to 12. A'ja just HAS to be better than this if Vegas is going anywhere beyond Round 1.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Oh, more bad news for Phoenix. Peddy went down and didn't return. No official diagnosis, but I keep seeing people say it looked like an Achilles tendon injury.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
This final score not at all representative of how the game actually went. Vegas putting a ton of window dressing on at the end. Merc was scrappy and kept it close for about 35 minutes. During the back breaking run Plum had 4 points and 2 assists. Game high 22, tied Gray for a team high 4 assists. Stokes matched Wilson's 8 pts. and grabbed 1 more board, 13 to 12. A'ja just HAS to be better than this if Vegas is going anywhere beyond Round 1.
Wilson will be fine--Turner has been a tough matchup for her all year. She's torched Seattle in every matchup this year should they meet in the semis. Even with minimal production, Vegas still won by double digits and Phoenix just doesn't have the fire power to pull off back to back wins.

I will say, without Taurasi/SDS there, I think Vegas officially owns the title for biggest complainers in the league. Seriously Wilson/Plum complain every single time they drive to the basket and Gray has shown a lot more feistiness this year too.

Reaction Score
Chicago sure didn't look like a veteran championship team in the fourth quarter last night. Panic was palpable. I'm a big fan of Sloot and Quigley but they are defensively challenged. I though Gardner played well at the defensive end - terrible call on the block of Ionescu's three-point shot.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

As Ryan Ruocco alluded (in all credit to him, virtually immediately after the play), this will be one of the best wNBA highlights .. ever. (And I still have MJ's shot over Craig Ehlo stuck in my head ;))

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I will say, without Taurasi/SDS there, I think Vegas officially owns the title for biggest complainers in the league. Seriously Wilson/Plum complain every single time they drive to the basket and Gray has shown a lot more feistiness this year too

BLJ.
(Be like Jackie....:cool:)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I liked Sabrina's post game interview.

Q: How come you play so well under pressure situations?
A: I love pressure. I really want pressure.

Us NY fans are very lucky we have her and the Liberty as a team play the best team basketball (when not overpassing into bad TO's)

Reaction Score
Hats off to New York. They made their shots when they had to, and they stole a solid win in Chicago. Was not expecting that to happen. Pretty sure Chicago will answer back.

I really don't expect Phoenix to win a game against Las Vegas. The Mercury kept things close, but the Aces just has too many options and then when they get locked in defensively, it is a wrap.

Reaction Score
Merc hanging around. This shouldn't be remotely close, but it is. Wilson is shooting 1-8. Young, Plum and Gray have combined for 31 at the half. DeShields leading everybody w/ 13.

I was surprised that Phoenix hung around and kept it close for a while. The first three quarters, Phoenix was hanging around and keeping the game interesting. I was shocked given Phoenix's current roster situation. I mean they are solid players but not one of those games where you are too worried about matchup concerns.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I was surprised that Phoenix hung around and kept it close for a while. The first three quarters, Phoenix was hanging around and keeping the game interesting. I was shocked given Phoenix's current roster situation. I mean they are solid players but not one of those games where you are too worried about matchup concerns.
It was close because the Aces could not make any shots. I am enjoying the Big Fundamental (Gustafson) playing so well.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
It was close because the Aces could not make any shots. I am enjoying the Big Fundamental (Gustafson) playing so well.
This is a prime example of a very big-name college player who came into the league and found what had worked in the collegiate game was not enough. How many stops did Gustafson have at various courts-of-call (Dallas, Washington, among them)? However, she's worked hard in the league, as well as overseas, to go from a person that relied on the George-Mikan inspired hooks to being able to launch 3's. She has also developed into a good high-post passer. And, she always hustles, works hard and supports her teammates.

So, for Elissa Cunane and others (including those in the W that are parked at the end of the bench) that found a "come back later" message at the W's locker room doors, there might be a lesson here.

Last edited:

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
This is a prime example of a very big-name college player who came to the league and found what had worked in the collegiate game was not enough. How many stops did she have a various courts-of-call (Dallas, Washington, among them). However, she's worked hard in the league, overseas to go from a person that relied on the George-Mikan inspired hooks to being able to launch 3's? She has also developed into a good high-post passer.

So, for Elissa Cunane and others (including those in the W that are parked at the end of the bench) that found a "come back later" message, there might be a lesson here.
I watched, on the computer, Gustafson play this past winter in Poland. She might not be the most talented player out there but she always busted her butt on the court. That is the type of player I want as my back up, one who never lets the other team rest. Her role on Iowa, was totally different than what she has now in the WNBA, but wherever she has gone, she has adapted.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom