WNBA Playoffs Thread | Page 18 | The Boneyard

WNBA Playoffs Thread

Reaction Score
The Fever have gotten super unlucky in terms of draft position recently.

Vegas had the best chance of draft A'ja Wilson in 2018, and they won the lottery. Indiana had second best chance, they picked second, chose Kelsey Mitchell. (Not a bad pick by any means imo)

In 2019, Indiana had the best chances of picking first, but didn't get to pick until 3rd. This was the crazy year where Young went first to Vegas, Indiana picked McCowan third (not a bad choice by any means), and then Arike went 5th and Napheesa went 6th. Who knows who the Fever would have selected first, but this was bad luck.

In 2020, Indiana had second worst combined record (behind NY). Again, they didn't get to pick until 3rd, missing out on both Ionescu and Sabally (and picking Lauren Cox).

In 2022, Indiana had the worst combined record, but got the #2 pick. Now, I'm sure they are pretty happy with NaLyssa Smith (who could have gone #1), but it's another instance where they didn't get to draft as high as their record indicated.
The Fever have also made poor draft decisions. Godrezik (sp) in 21? Cox and McCowan didn't look like bad picks at the time but it's also clear both drafts had players who would have been more helpful.

As it stands Smith and Egbo will both hang around and maybe Hederson. Engstler and Hull are marginal players at best unless both improve.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Chelsea Gray is having an “out of body” experience in these post-season games. If she can continue to play/perform at this level, the Aces are going to be hard to beat. 76% true shooting is amazing. BTW, not sure if this has been posted. I have not read all of the comments here yet, but A’ja Wilson won the regular season MVP award. It was announced this moring.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Chelsea Gray is having an “out of body” experience in these post-season games. If she can continue to play/perform at this level, the Aces are going to be hard to beat. 76% true shooting is amazing. BTW, not sure if this has been posted. I have not read all of the comments here yet, but A’ja Wilson won the regular season MVP award. It was announced this moring.
and she is hard to double. She had 10 assists in the deciding game and really can pass out of the doubles with unusual passing angles.

Carnac

Reaction Score
The Fever have gotten super unlucky in terms of draft position recently.

Vegas had the best chance of draft A'ja Wilson in 2018, and they won the lottery. Indiana had second best chance, they picked second, chose Kelsey Mitchell. (Not a bad pick by any means imo)

In 2019, Indiana had the best chances of picking first, but didn't get to pick until 3rd. This was the crazy year where Young went first to Vegas, Indiana picked McCowan third (not a bad choice by any means), and then Arike went 5th and Napheesa went 6th. Who knows who the Fever would have selected first, but this was bad luck.

In 2020, Indiana had second worst combined record (behind NY). Again, they didn't get to pick until 3rd, missing out on both Ionescu and Sabally (and picking Lauren Cox).

In 2022, Indiana had the worst combined record, but got the #2 pick. Now, I'm sure they are pretty happy with NaLyssa Smith (who could have gone #1), but it's another instance where they didn't get to draft as high as their record indicated.
Every year, the Fever and the Dream finish at or near the bottom of the standings. What do these franchises need to do to become more competitive and finish in the top tier and make the playoffs? Hire a new GM, hire a new head coach? Do a better job selecting players they draft?

Can these two franchises’ fates be turned around, or are they doomed to eternal mediocrity?

Carnac

Reaction Score
and she is hard to double. She had 10 assists in the deciding game and really can pass out of the doubles with unusual passing angles.
I’m already convinced she has more than 1 pair of eyes. :eek:

Reaction Score
Can the Sky Old Heads (Parker/37 - Quigley/37 - Vandersloot/34 - Messeman/30) pull out the victory tonight? Should be a war of attrition.

Reaction Score
Every year, the Fever and the Dream finish at or near the bottom of the standings. What do these franchises need to do to become more competitive and finish in the top tier and make the playoffs? Hire a new GM, hire a new head coach? Do a better job selecting players they draft?

Can these two franchises’ fates be turned around, or are they doomed to eternal mediocrity?

Regarding the Dream, they've made changes in the past couple years. Only time will tell. Montgomery is a part owner in the team, trying to put her stamp on the team's identity. I thought Coach Wright did an admirable job with the team this past season, considering the number of injuries they went through.

They were in the race for the play-offs until they wilted during the last few games. Compared to last season, this was a step in the right direction. What happens during the off-season will be key to whether they can maintain the momentum.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Regarding the Dream, they've made changes in the past couple years. Only time will tell. Montgomery is a part owner in the team, trying to put her stamp on the team's identity. I thought Coach Wright did an admirable job with the team this past season, considering the number of injuries they went through.

They were in the race for the play-offs until they wilted during the last few games. Compared to last season, this was a step in the right direction. What happens during the off-season will be key to whether they can maintain the momentum.
What's your take on the 5-31 Indiana Fever?

Carnac

Reaction Score
Can the Sky Old Heads (Parker/37 - Quigley/37 - Vandersloot/34 - Messeman/30) pull out the victory tonight? Should be a war of attrition.
ALL of my sources (tea leaves, Ouija board, dice, crystal ball and tarot cards) say the Sky wins tonight. ;)

Reaction Score
Until they choose a head coach, no clue. I don't know a lot about their GM but she obviously wasn't going to tolerate Stanley running the team aground to fire her early in the season.

I liked their draft selections, even if Hull seemed a bit of a reach. Some think Engstler may not be WNBA caliber but I think it's a matter of being patient. Streaky would be how I would describe her. Similar to her time in the ACC, I think she needed this season to learn what's required and will get better. Had she been with a team like Louisville her entire career, I think she would have been better prepared for the pros.

I'm also pulling for Henderson as I think she can do a good job running an offence. She had her moments as well. Hoping that she gets an opportunity to play overseas to hone her skills.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Damn your sources!!
Those are just my back-ups that corroborate my intuition and my picks. Don't hate the sage, hate the game. ;)

I'll be around after the game to either eat some crow, or take my bows and a victory lap.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I can't wait for KK to get here next year. :D

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score

Indiana simply does not have enough talent to compete. They need better players, or for the players they do have to get considerably better. NaLyssa Smith and Kelsey Mitchell both have all star potential (in fact, Mitchell probably should have been an all star this year), but everyone else on their roster is a role player at best, imo. If they are able to get the #1 pick, drafting Boston certainly won't hurt.

Yes, Gondrezick was a bust, but there's pretty much no one else on the draft board that would have made a significant difference for the Fever--including 2021 ROY Onyenwere.

And the 2020 draft, where they picked up Cox, was another VERY weak draft (so weak that the ROY was pick #16--Crystal Dangerfield). Maybe Chennedy Carter would have been a better selection, but she's a less reliable version of Kelsey Mitchell, imo.

i'm much more critical of all their moves outside of the drafts.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Connecticut is making this very ugly again and Chicago looks lost.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Aha, my turn off the game and quit watching approach worked like a charm. I better stay away for Chicago's sake.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Aha, my turn off the game and quit watching approach worked like a charm. I better stay away for Chicago's sake.
Hmm. And I am staying away so CT wins. ;)

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Two self inflicted stats that have caused the Sun problems all year. Too many turnovers and not enough 3's.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom