WNBA Playoffs Thread | Page 17 | The Boneyard

WNBA Playoffs Thread

Reaction Score
Congrats, Las Vegas! Wow. I wish this series could have gone Five games just to see fluid basketball. Nothing against the Suns/Sky series. I just like fluid basketball. Also going to Five games just to see the continued battle between Stewie and Wilson. Stewie was in a zone! Out there just having the game of her life! Wilson is going to be a force in the League soon enough. Great series. Sad to see it end especially for Sue Bird. All Time Great. I don't care where she is ranked. I just know she is on that list and in the conversation. Mad respect, Sue Bird and thank you.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Post-game thoughts that I didn't enter last night because I went back to watching the 5th set of the K-K quarterfinal U.S. Open tennis match (not much zzz's last night).

- I also have no idea why Theresa Plaisance earned a "do not get out of jail (bench)" card recently. She seemed to fit in well with the up-tempo attack of the Aces. Hamby is obviously rusty and while Stokes will set picks until the cows come home, Plaisance can roll and hit the open jumper. Would come in handy against Conn or Chicago, but won't happen.

- Stewie - 42. Loyd - 29. Ezi - 10 minutes. Seattle could go through a transition into Mordor this off-season and it's pretty much of their own making.

- Jackie Young missed one shot last night. She shot when she (thought she) needed to and that was it. Then again, with Gray doing her "The Natural" thing (cue the Newman music), no need to force anything.

- As said, Vegas gets to rest. Watch out survivor of the Chitown-Conn series.

Reaction Score
Chelsea (expletive deleted Gray) :cool:

Glad she is getting some respect. I remember back in 2012, all the college PG talk was about Diggins and Sims. I said then on this board that there was another PG that I would take over either of them both in college, and if I were drafting for the WNBA. Of course that was Ms. Gray. ;)

I think the only thing that could slow her down now is if Vegas hires Joan P. McCallie to be on the staff this weekend. :cool::p:D:eek::oops:;):):rolleyes:
Why are you even putting this idea out into the world? They did hire Fargas for the front office.

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see which Parker shows up. The announcers were saying she has a different game with only 2 days rest, which she had between game 3 and 4. And will have again for game 5

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Even though it only went 4 games, Storm/Aces is truly one for the ages. Both teams full of superstars, who, for the most part, all played at a superstar level.

CT/Chicago is far from pretty, but that was to be expected and I'm not completely surprised it's going to 5 games. Chicago needs to rediscover its defense though if they want to get back to finals.

Someone said this on Twitter so I'm stealing it, but you could argue a majority of the WNBA's best players are concentrated on these 4 teams. It's making for excellent basketball.

Vegas (And especially Gray and Wilson) seem to be on a mission. No matter who they face in finals, i think they win in 4.

Reaction Score
Someone said this on Twitter so I'm stealing it, but you could argue a majority of the WNBA's best players are concentrated on these 4 teams. It's making for excellent basketball.
Agreed, which is wonderful at this time of the year, but makes the regular season tough. I’m hoping that with a lot of older players in the twilight of their careers (Taurasi, Bird, Parker, Fowles, Charles) that we see some balancing happen in the league.

Vegas got lucky with 3 straight number one picks, mainly because Kelsey Plum took a while to acclimate to the league. Now all 3 players are at a very high level, which puts them in the position to enter a dynasty era.
Getting those types of picks back to back sets you up to have the best talent playing alongside one another in their prime.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Jackie Young took a while to develop as well, at least into a more offensive force that won her this year's Most Improved Player Award. But you're right: Wilson/Plum/Young/Gray are all performing at peak levels right now [I still think Young has a higher peak to reach, imo.]

Of course, Seattle had FOUR #1 picks on their roster in Stewart/Loyd/Charles/Bird, and Bird did her best impression this playoffs of her peak.

The difference was simply that Chelsea Gray is playing at a godly level right now.

Reaction Score
Jackie Young took a while to develop as well, at least into a more offensive force that won her this year's Most Improved Player Award. But you're right: Wilson/Plum/Young/Gray are all performing at peak levels right now [I still think Young has a higher peak to reach, imo.]

Of course, Seattle had FOUR #1 picks on their roster in Stewart/Loyd/Charles/Bird, and Bird did her best impression this playoffs of her peak.

The difference was simply that Chelsea Gray is playing at a godly level right now.
Seattle never should have added Charles unless she was willing to come off the bench. Sitting Ezi who was having a very good year for Tina was a mistake. Their defense went from one of the best to one of the worst.
Tina was terrible in the playoffs, she isn't a good defender, and her offense was non existent for a star player.
She needs to retire or accept the fact she has become a role player.

Reaction Score
Agreed, which is wonderful at this time of the year, but makes the regular season tough. I’m hoping that with a lot of older players in the twilight of their careers (Taurasi, Bird, Parker, Fowles, Charles) that we see some balancing happen in the league.

Vegas got lucky with 3 straight number one picks, mainly because Kelsey Plum took a while to acclimate to the league. Now all 3 players are at a very high level, which puts them in the position to enter a dynasty era.
Getting those types of picks back to back sets you up to have the best talent playing alongside one another in their prime.
While, not back to back number one picks, it will be interesting to see how things play out for the Fever based on their draft approach this year. Key thing they need is the right coach. Question is, who? I don't see another Becky Hammon being available at the moment.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see which Parker shows up. The announcers were saying she has a different game with only 2 days rest, which she had between game 3 and 4. And will have again for game 5
My tarot cards and tea leaves say the Sky win at home tomorrow. They will watch the game film, make adjustments and handle their business at home. Parker and Copper will go off. Parker will not let her team lose at home. :cool:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

IF the Aces win the championship, Chelsea Gray MUST be named the MVP for the playoff tournament. The Aces dumped Liz Cambage and became a better team under new coach Becky Hammon. I like the Aces regardless of who they play in the finals. The Aces are a 3 headed monster.........Wilson, Gray and Plum.

Reaction Score
Congrats, Las Vegas! Wow. I wish this series could have gone Five games just to see fluid basketball. Nothing against the Suns/Sky series. I just like fluid basketball. Also going to Five games just to see the continued battle between Stewie and Wilson. Stewie was in a zone! Out there just having the game of her life! Wilson is going to be a force in the League soon enough. Great series. Sad to see it end especially for Sue Bird. All Time Great. I don't care where she is ranked. I just know she is on that list and in the conversation. Mad respect, Sue Bird and thank you.
Yes, right, one day real soon Wilson (the 2x MVP) is going to be something in the WNBA. Ok

Reaction Score
Chelsea (expletive deleted Gray) :cool:

Glad she is getting some respect. I remember back in 2012, all the college PG talk was about Diggins and Sims. I said then on this board that there was another PG that I would take over either of them both in college, and if I were drafting for the WNBA. Of course that was Ms. Gray. ;)

I think the only thing that could slow her down now is if Vegas hires Joan P. McCallie to be on the staff this weekend. :cool::p:D:eek::oops:;):):rolleyes:
I’m extending some grace, Chelsea suffered two major injuries in college including one that derailed her senior year, not to mention Baylor and ND were much better programs than Duke. Skylar has been very good in the pros, but I’m very surprised Odyssey has not been as successful in the league. In college she was a terror on both ends of the court.

What Gray has done in he playoffs is incredible. I just hope she has something left in the tank for Team USA next month.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

In the WNBA finals she struggled in game 4s in 2016/2017 but almost always balls out in winner take all games. I expect a big night from her tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Sky vs Vegas the finals we want to see, sorry but the Sun would get destroyed by Vegas possibly a sweep. I expect Sky to deliver as they have when it matters the most the past 2 seasons.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I’m extending some grace, Chelsea suffered two major injuries in college including one that derailed her senior year, not to mention Baylor and ND were much better programs than Duke. Skylar has been very good in the pros, but I’m very surprised Odyssey has not been as successful in the league. In college she was a terror on both ends of the court.

What Gray has done in he playoffs is incredible. I just hope she has something left in the tank for Team USA next month.
I was curious on Sims, and realized she's had a much more solid career than I realized. Over 8 years, she's averaged 12.1ppg on 39% FG, 3.8apg, and 2.6rpg. She came out of the gates hot: her first year in Tulsa she averaged 16.7ppg and 4.2apg. She had a great 2019 with Minnesota (14.5ppg, over 5apg); then had a baby right before the wubble season, where she came back for 13 games and actually played remarkably well for someone who had a baby 4 months prior.

She then got sent to the hot mess that was Atlanta last year, and for whatever reason, couldn't stick to a team until late this season with CT.

Which is all to say: she by no means at the level of Gray and SDD (Olympians, All WNBA firs teamers), but I wouldn't call her a "bust" by any means.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I was curious on Sims, and realized she's had a much more solid career than I realized. Over 8 years, she's averaged 12.1ppg on 39% FG, 3.8apg, and 2.6rpg. She came out of the gates hot: her first year in Tulsa she averaged 16.7ppg and 4.2apg. She had a great 2019 with Minnesota (14.5ppg, over 5apg); then had a baby right before the wubble season, where she came back for 13 games and actually played remarkably well for someone who had a baby 4 months prior.

She then got sent to the hot mess that was Atlanta last year, and for whatever reason, couldn't stick to a team until late this season with CT.

Which is all to say: she by no means at the level of Gray and SDD (Olympians, All WNBA firs teamers), but I wouldn't call her a "bust" by any means.
I do like what she is giving the Sun in limited minutes. Very high energy and a defensive toughness. That end of half theft of an inbound pass and buzzer beating bucket (an Evina Special) I think broke the back of the Sky for the second half.

Reaction Score
While, not back to back number one picks, it will be interesting to see how things play out for the Fever based on their draft approach this year. Key thing they need is the right coach. Question is, who? I don't see another Becky Hammon being available at the moment.
Yeah, it seems like in the WNBA you need to have multiple MVP caliber players to win a championship. The fever need to get lucky and land the top pick for Boston or Bueckers. Of their 5 rookies, I only realistically see egbo sticking as a backup and Smith emerging as one of those second tier players, similar to Loyd. Not quite MVP caliber but very good.

Oddly I’m rotting for Indiana to figure it out because if this extended stretch of living at the bottom of the standings continues, I fear the franchise could fold.

Reaction Score
Yeah, it seems like in the WNBA you need to have multiple MVP caliber players to win a championship. The fever need to get lucky and land the top pick for Boston or Bueckers. Of their 5 rookies, I only realistically see egbo sticking as a backup and Smith emerging as one of those second tier players, similar to Loyd. Not quite MVP caliber but very good.

Oddly I’m rotting for Indiana to figure it out because if this extended stretch of living at the bottom of the standings continues, I fear the franchise could fold.
Same here. Relocation could be possible too, as there are interested groups in other cities who want a WNBA team. Would be a shame considering the passion for basketball in the state.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Same here. Relocation could be possible too, as there are interested groups in other cities who want a WNBA team. Would be a shame considering the passion for basketball in the state.

The Fever have gotten super unlucky in terms of draft position recently.

Vegas had the best chance of draft A'ja Wilson in 2018, and they won the lottery. Indiana had second best chance, they picked second, chose Kelsey Mitchell. (Not a bad pick by any means imo)

In 2019, Indiana had the best chances of picking first, but didn't get to pick until 3rd. This was the crazy year where Young went first to Vegas, Indiana picked McCowan third (not a bad choice by any means), and then Arike went 5th and Napheesa went 6th. Who knows who the Fever would have selected first, but this was bad luck.

In 2020, Indiana had second worst combined record (behind NY). Again, they didn't get to pick until 3rd, missing out on both Ionescu and Sabally (and picking Lauren Cox).

In 2022, Indiana had the worst combined record, but got the #2 pick. Now, I'm sure they are pretty happy with NaLyssa Smith (who could have gone #1), but it's another instance where they didn't get to draft as high as their record indicated.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom