WNBA Off-Season | The Boneyard

WNBA Off-Season

Reaction Score
Unless there is something more going on then we know this doesn’t make any sense to be honest…

I get Sky struggles back end of the year but they were projected to finish last and rode two rookies. One year seems harsh…

Reaction Score
I am surprised Weatherspoon got fired. But I don't have a problem with it. Chicago only won 3 games after the olympic break. And the dressing room was toxic. And that's the most disappointing thing for me about Weatherspoon's stint in Chicago. I expected her to be a disciplinarian head coach. But instead, I feel like she enabled bad behavior.

Additionally worth noting. Weatherspoon was hired before the General Manager. The General Manager maybe wants to hire their own coach.

Reaction Score
I am surprised Weatherspoon got fired. But I don't have a problem with it. Chicago only won 3 games after the olympic break. And the dressing room was toxic. And that's the most disappointing thing for me about Weatherspoon's stint in Chicago. I expected her to be a disciplinarian head coach. But instead, I feel like she enabled bad behavior.

Additionally worth noting. Weatherspoon was hired before the General Manager. The General Manager maybe wants to hire their own coach.
Very possible regarding the GM. At the same time, the Sky did better than expected while managing injuries and everything else.

Feel bad for this franchise and their fans. The upheaval that happened over the last few years has to be frustrating to watch.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Wow I am genuinely shocked that TSpoon got canned after one year. Chicago was picked by many to finish dead last and looked very weak on paper going into the season. Despite this and having all of their best players injured for stretches this season, Chicago was in position to make playoffs almost the whole season until it slipped away at the very end. TSpoon did a tremendous job of utilizing Chennedy Carter as well as incorporating rookies Angel Reese/Kamilla Cardoso. I thought they had the right coach and a great foundation to build off of after James Wade left the franchise high and dry last year.

Reaction Score
Wow I am genuinely shocked that TSpoon got canned after one year. Chicago was picked by many to finish dead last and looked very weak on paper going into the season. Despite this and having all of their best players injured for stretches this season, Chicago was in position to make playoffs almost the whole season until it slipped away at the very end. TSpoon did a tremendous job of utilizing Chennedy Carter as well as incorporating rookies Angel Reese/Kamilla Cardoso. I thought they had the right coach and a great foundation to build off of after James Wade left the franchise high and dry last year.

I’m more shocked by curt miller getting fired. I feel like the players loved him and played well for him. Never heard any complaints. I feel with a healthy roster, the team would’ve been better.

As far as Spoon, I agree with you. I wonder if thre toxic locker room has a lot to do with it. When you have players crying about it in interviews its hard to ignore.

Reaction Score
I’m more shocked by curt miller getting fired. I feel like the players loved him and played well for him. Never heard any complaints. I feel with a healthy roster, the team would’ve been better.

As far as Spoon, I agree with you. I wonder if thre toxic locker room has a lot to do with it. When you have players crying about it in interviews its hard to ignore.
Thought that was in regards to social media trolling/bullying.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Here's an ESPNw article about what's possibly next for the Sky:

Initial Thoughts:
  • Chicago franchise is (still) a mess.
  • Ownership nabbed 'Spoon (an open search), then Jeff Pagliocca was hired to be the Sky's general manager a couple of weeks after Weatherspoon became head coach last October.
  • There were a few disconnects during the season. 'Spoon kept saying that she wanted to get the ball down low, yet her top two offensive generators were her guards: Marina Mabrey and Chennedy Carter. Mabrey played the most minutes on the team ... and was traded (at her request?).
  • Language, body and otherwise. Dana Evans just couldn't hold herself, as noted, and you could see Izzy Harrison and Brianna Turner just pursing their lips while their bodies tightened up.
Then:
  • But the team played hard. By trading Mabrey, they sent away their only reliable three-point shooter; indicating management knew the score and was willing to strip the team down to the young core and move on.
  • However, Annie Constabile of the Sun Times reported exit interviews didn't go well at all, maybe indicating that the things raised above were only the tip of the iceberg?
Next Steps:
- I may be putting too much on Pagliocca and management, but this hire really needs to be well thought out. And the personnel moves over the course of the winter need to be in with the new coach; a coach that can really build a team culture and develop young players.

Perhaps ownerships of LA and Chicago want to ride the swell of interest in the W and are looking at W-L records. Of course, there's more to it (practice facilities for both LA and Chicago (allegedly coming).

Still, it that's the case, you might see more change in, say, Atlanta, Dallas and Seattle (which has the facilities).

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Both firings have me questioning what’s going on
Just a thought:

- Ownership of these teams see Indiana seemingly turn it around during the season and thinks, "Why not us? The WNBA is hot and we have a losing record?" All those injuries? Youth? Coaching should take care of it. Now, 'Spoon wasn't perfect and nor Miller, but I think owners often tend not to look in mirrors.

- There's more to a be a successful franchise than throwing the balls on the court, from where you practice and play to how well resourced the team is, from training to human resources (helping with housing, other things, etc.) LA and Chicago are not known for having decent practice facilities (Chicago's practice commute is a hike.)

- Still, these owners want to ride the swell of popularity. So, don't be surprised if you see openings in Dallas (where the GM and ownership should be under the microscope) and Atlanta. Seattle could be at a precipice, but that franchise is well-supplied and the discussion on Quinn is probably needed.

But, ownership needs to include themselves in the discussion: how culpable are we? If 'Spoon wasn't up to speed, guess what...you hired her before your GM and then traded away your two most proven players, one before the season (Copper) and one during (Mabrey).

Don't expect too much hand-wringing, though.

Reaction Score
The WNBA has historically not had well thought out coaching searches/hires yet these two on paper were good ones.

Chemistry has been a problem in Chicago for years despite the coaches and players involved. They've not had great fan support but figure Reese and Cardoso were a good foundation to build on. If Reese isn't happy, does she become the next star to bolt?

LA was supposed to be bad and really didn't have a lot to work with after Brink's injury. Hamby is a good player though and Rickea could be a star in the league under the right circumstances. Miller is a proven coach but his last two exits have been rather abrupt and I wonder what's going on.

Reaction Score
Just a thought:

- Ownership of these teams see Indiana seemingly turn it around during the season and thinks, "Why not us? The WNBA is hot and we have a losing record?" All those injuries? Youth? Coaching should take care of it. Now, 'Spoon wasn't perfect and nor Miller, but I think owners often tend not to look in mirrors.

- There's more to a be a successful franchise than throwing the balls on the court, from where you practice and play to how well resourced the team is, from training to human resources (helping with housing, other things, etc.) LA and Chicago are not known for having decent practice facilities (Chicago's practice commute is a hike.)

- Still, these owners want to ride the swell of popularity. So, don't be surprised if you see openings in Dallas (where the GM and ownership should be under the microscope) and Atlanta. Seattle could be at a precipice, but that franchise is well-supplied and the discussion on Quinn is probably needed.

But, ownership needs to include themselves in the discussion: how culpable are we? If 'Spoon wasn't up to speed, guess what...you hired her before your GM and then traded away your two most proven players, one before the season (Copper) and one during (Mabrey).

Don't expect too much hand-wringing, though.

Fair points, but these ownership groups need to do a deep analysis of themselves because they also seem to get in their own way.

For example, Los Angles has been problematic for years. There was the firing of their president who sued them. The Derek Fisher era.....yeah we saw what happened there. I saw comments from Magic Johnson on Twitter about what needs to be done and scratches my head because if he's part of this ownership group, where has he been? And when you think of how things went down while he was with the Lakers, is he going to help or dip out when it gets messy?

Chicago has been a mess as well, but if my memory serves correct, the ownership group is relatively new. As some have mused, the GM may have an idea of what they want in a coach for the team and working on a plan.

Reaction Score
I woke up this morning and saw the headlines about Coach Spoon being let go by the Sky. Definitely was not expecting this news considering Coach Spoon is well loved by her players, other players, and the coaches in the W. I am sure there will be some "negative" stuff to come out that will justify the firing but it just seems so odd to fire a coach in a rebuilding season, in Year One.

Reaction Score
I woke up this morning and saw the headlines about Coach Spoon being let go by the Sky. Definitely was not expecting this news considering Coach Spoon is well loved by her players, other players, and the coaches in the W. I am sure there will be some "negative" stuff to come out that will justify the firing but it just seems so odd to fire a coach in a rebuilding season, in Year One.
I was thinking the same, however it sounds like there was some discontent that was expressed during exit interviews.
Posting a link to the Chicago Defender article that talks about it, but it references a story from the Sun-Times that's behind a paywall.

Reaction Score
I was thinking the same, however it sounds like there was some discontent that was expressed during exit interviews.
Posting a link to the Chicago Defender article that talks about it, but it references a story from the Sun-Times that's behind a paywall.

Thanks for sharing the link and article. I am still in a fog over this whole matter.

Reaction Score

Apparently, that information won't be available to the public.

Yep. It was like that when Chicago and Atlanta had their expansion draft. The public had zero information on which players from each team, back then, that were protected.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
GS Valkyries expansion draft will be Dec. 6: Golden State WNBA expansion draft set for Dec. 6

Teams can only protect SIX players. GS can only take one player per roster.

Will be VERY interesting to see who teams protect.
Very annoyed by this. Six protected players means the Valks are doomed to be cellar dwellers for 3-4 years unless they either get a top draft pick or can score something big in free agency. I think it's also stupid because in trying to expand in three markets over the next two years, it's going to be a bad look to have bottom dweller teams with limited attendance. Plus, to the extent it could result in some overall parity in the league, that wouldn't be a terrible outcome.

Reaction Score
Noteworthy Potential Players in Expansion Draft:
  • if I am reading the rules right, a team’s 2-year-cored players are automatically protected and the team enumerates 6 additional players it wants to protect;
  • this affects teams like Seattle (3 2-year cored players), Phoenix (2 2-year cored players) and Connecticut (2 2-year cored players); there is room for Seattle to protect Nika;
  • teams will probably need not protect a significant number of not-so-remarkable unrestricted free agents (UFA), since Golden State will be picky on their single UFA draft pick who will need to be cored;
  • Indiana, Minnesota, Chicago, Dallas, Washington will probably give Golden State some of Golden State’s better expansion draft choices;
  • Phoenix and Seattle will probably have no one attractive for Golden State;
  • Golden State may choose not to draft UFA’s in the expansion draft and wait for free agency negotiations in February.
Atlanta Dream
  • Tina Charles is cored;
  • Laeticia Amihere, Cheyenne Parker-Tyus (UFA), Nia Coffey, Maya Caldwell
Chicago Sky
  • Moriah Jefferson, Dana Evans, Rachel Banham
  • Isabelle Harrison (UFA), Brianna Turner (UFA), Diamond De Shields (UFA)
Connecticut Sun
  • Brionna Jones and Dewanna Bonner are cored;
  • Olivia Nelson Ododa or Tyasha Harris
Dallas Wings
  • Natasha Howard is cored;
  • Two from (Lou Lopez-Senechal, Kalani Brown, Stephanie Soarez, Jacy Sheldon)
Indiana Fever
  • Article: One of (Nalyssa Smith, Lexie Hull, Damiris Dantas, Temi Fagbenle);
  • KLS;
  • Grace Berger, Victoria Saxton, Erica Wheeler (UFA), Kristy Wallace
Las Vegas Aces
  • Kiah Stokes, Megan Gustafson, Kate Martin, Sydney Colson
Los Angeles Sparks
  • Three from (Azura Stevens, Aari McDonald, Lexie Brown, Stephanie Talbot, Zia Cooke, Kia Nurse (UFA))
Minnesota Lynx
  • Two from (Dorka Juhasz, Diamond Miller, Alyssa Pili)
  • Myisha Hines-Allen (UFA), Natasha Hiediman (UFA)
New York Liberty
  • Jonquel Jones is cored;
  • Courtney Vandersloot (UFA)?
Phoenix Mercury
  • Britney Griner and Kahleah Cooper are cored; DT retiring;
  • ?
Seattle Storm
  • Jewell Lloyd, SDS and Nneka Ogwumike are cored;
  • Gabby Williams will play overseas;
  • Sami Whitcomb will probably play overseas;
  • Ezi Magbebor, Jordan Horston, Mercedes Russell, Nika Muhl are probably protected;
  • Victoria Vivians (UFA), Joyner Holmes (UFA) and Yvonne Turner (UFA) are probably unprotected
Washington Mystics
  • Article: one of (Stefanie Dolson, Karlie Samuelson)
  • Shatori Walker-Kimbrough (UFA), Jade Melbourne, Emily Engstler, Sika Kone, Seg Sutton/Julie Vanloo
Available:
  • Crystal Dangerfield
  • Destanni Henderson
  • Odyssey Simms
  • Christine Williams
  • Evina Westbrook
  • ???

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors