WNBA News | Page 4 | The Boneyard

WNBA News

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Danielle Robinson, a three-time All-Star guard who played for the Lynx the past two seasons, has signed with the Las Vegas Aces as a free agent.

Robinson averaged 10.1 points, 3.7 assists and 3.5 rebounds over 34 games last season. For her career, the seven-year pro has averaged 9.4 points, 2.8 rebounds, 4.4 assists and 1.2 steals.

“Words can’t express how grateful I am to join the Aces organization,” Robinson said in a press release from the Las Vegas team. “There is an undeniable energy surrounding this group of talented young women. I feel incredibly blessed to have the opportunity to be a part of that and compete for a championship.”

Robinson played for the Aces when they were located in San Antonion before being traded to Phoenix in 2017 and the Lynx before the start of the 2018 season.

Mulder

In Search of One Objective Poster
Reaction Score
Danielle Robinson, a three-time All-Star guard who played for the Lynx the past two seasons, has signed with the Las Vegas Aces as a free agent.

Robinson averaged 10.1 points, 3.7 assists and 3.5 rebounds over 34 games last season. For her career, the seven-year pro has averaged 9.4 points, 2.8 rebounds, 4.4 assists and 1.2 steals.

“Words can’t express how grateful I am to join the Aces organization,” Robinson said in a press release from the Las Vegas team. “There is an undeniable energy surrounding this group of talented young women. I feel incredibly blessed to have the opportunity to be a part of that and compete for a championship.”

Robinson played for the Aces when they were located in San Antonion before being traded to Phoenix in 2017 and the Lynx before the start of the 2018 season.

Former Ace Sydney Colson signed with the Chicago Sky. That should open a slot for Danielle Robinson to exhibit her wares.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

OK, Will Laimbeer start Plum at the point? Or Young? Young or Plum? Ah, let's bring in Robinson, too, and Young or Plum can play off guard. Oh, that's where McBride is. Maybe Young can play wing. Oh, now there's Angel M. Hmmm, subtraction through addition? :rolleyes:

It will be very interesting to see what comes of these additions. Would not be surprised to see another trade pop up to clear some room on the bench.

Meanwhile, if I'm Lindsay Allen's agent/advisor, I see if she can get traded/let go so she can give Coach Reeve a call in Minnesota. Unlike the Aces, there's space in the backcourt there. Allen's had a great Aussie League and this would the time to capitalize on it.

Stay tuned.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Indeed. Laimbeer did a lot of juggling starters/rotation last year, looks like more of the same will be happening this year. I'd have to shake my head if he elects to start Robinson over Plum.

DRob by all accounts had a better season than Plum a year ago, although Plum was very good in playoffs. My guess is DRob comes off the bench and they put Plum back at PG where she looks most effective. Also allows Young to move off the ball where she likely is a lot more comfortable. I wouldn't be surprised either if Plum is the main guard off the bench who can provide instant offense and flexibility at the 1 or 2. Takes more off her plate and doesn't require consistent play. Having a backcourt of Young/Robinson though combined with Liz/A'ja up front provides very limited perimeter shooting, so my guess is Plum nabs a starting spot largely due to her shooting ability.

Reaction Score
Has it been said if Cambage is coming back? I remember her talking a lot of junk at the end of the playoffs

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
DRob by all accounts had a better season than Plum a year ago, although Plum was very good in playoffs. My guess is DRob comes off the bench and they put Plum back at PG where she looks most effective. Also allows Young to move off the ball where she likely is a lot more comfortable. I wouldn't be surprised either if Plum is the main guard off the bench who can provide instant offense and flexibility at the 1 or 2. Takes more off her plate and doesn't require consistent play. Having a backcourt of Young/Robinson though combined with Liz/A'ja up front provides very limited perimeter shooting, so my guess is Plum nabs a starting spot largely due to her shooting ability.

DRob had a marginally better regular season than Plum, then disappeared in their only playoff game. Between their run in the playoffs and her stint w/ the National Team, Plum still appears to have some upside. DRob is nearly a 10 year veteran who is not likely to improve at all at this point in her career. And she is an absolutely horrific 3 point shooter if that is a valued skill for a starting PG (12%, only 12 made 3's in 8 years).

bballnut90

Reaction Score
DRob had a marginally better regular season than Plum, then disappeared in their only playoff game. Between their run in the playoffs and her stint w/ the National Team, Plum still appears to have some upside. DRob is nearly a 10 year veteran who is not likely to improve at all at this point in her career. And she is an absolutely horrific 3 point shooter if that is a valued skill for a starting PG (12%, only 12 made 3's in 8 years).

It wasn't marginal, it was notably better than Plum:

KP: 8.6 ppg, 3 apg, 2.8 rpg, .365 FG, .357 3pt, .872 FT
DR: 10.1 ppg, 3.7 apg, 3.5 rpg, .437 FG, .220 3pt, .879 FT

Vegas isn't in improvement mode planning for the future, they're in championship mode. DRob has been a very steady veteran presence in the league for a decade now. Almost every year she's between 9-12 ppg, has a good A/TO and steadily shoots 43-46% from the field. Plum was incredibly inconsistent last year, it was all or nothing for her most nights. I agree she has upside and I think she gets a starting spot if she brings her playoff form into next year, but if she goes through ice cold streaks again I don't think Bill gives her a long leash and I'd look for DRob to supplant her. Also wouldn't be shocked if they start DRob/Plum and bring in Young off the bench. They have good options this year, especially if Angel is back and healthy again.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
It wasn't marginal, it was notably better than Plum:

KP: 8.6 ppg, 3 apg, 2.8 rpg, .365 FG, .357 3pt, .872 FT
DR: 10.1 ppg, 3.7 apg, 3.5 rpg, .437 FG, .220 3pt, .879 FT

I'm not seeing it. That looks very marginal to me. DR better overall FG%, KP better 3 point shooting. Assists/reb/FT% is too close to bother w/ quibbling over. 1.5 ppg differential is not a big deal either. Definition of marginal to me.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I'm not seeing it. That looks very marginal to me. DR better overall FG%, KP better 3 point shooting. Assists/reb/FT% is too close to bother w/ quibbling over. 1.5 ppg differential is not a big deal either. Definition of marginal to me.

DRob isn't a good 3pt shooter, she only took 41 on the year compared to Plum's 126 so I wouldn't call that a differentiator between the two compared to other more applicable stats. And every other stat favors DRob, marginal or not. All that said, it isn't just stats. If you watched last year, Plum by and large was an all or nothing player. 11/34 games she had 0 or 1 FG. 8 other teams she scored 14 or more points. She had five games where she went scoreless.

DRob was far steadier and you knew what you'd get with her on a nightly basis. Look at her game by game numbers. Much more consistent. She helped guide her team, with a lot less talent, to an 18-16 record. Vegas was everyone's preseason title pick entering last year and they finished just 3 games better. Plum struggled to find her footing and find her role on the team until the very end of the season.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I think Laimbeer made a BIG mistake last year making J. Young the PG and Plum a spot up shooter. She would have multiple possessions where she didn't even touch the ball. She's a PG, always has been. Taking the ball out of her hands made her ineffective. Laimbeer finally figured it out as soon as the playoffs started and Plum was excellent throughout their run.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I think Laimbeer made a BIG mistake last year making J. Young the PG and Plum a spot up shooter. She would have multiple possessions where she didn't even touch the ball. She's a PG, always has been. Taking lthe ball out of her hands made her ineffective. Laimbeer finally figured it out as soon as the playoffs started and Plum was excellent throughout their run.

Agree with you. I think Plum is better when she has the ball (mostly) in her hands and can make decisions in regards to the overall offense and/or getting her shot (within the context).

Jackie Young is a superb (and strong) athlete who can do pretty much anything that a 1, 2 or 3 can do on a court (save consistent long-range shooting). However, I think she's best when being off-ball, particularly on the weakside, when she can make cuts to the basket and find holes in the defense to receive the ball and shoot a very underrated mid-range jumper. And she is a superb rebounder, both offensive and defensive.

The trouble is, Angel M. is pretty much the same kind of player.

So, does Bill "give up" on Jackie and trade her (for what else, I'm not really sure) or see if JY and Angel and make the 3 a point of no return for other teams?

As for long-range shooting, the Aces still have Plum and, of course, K-Mac who can go off at any given point.

Reaction Score
Maybe they plan on moving Jackie Young. That's what it looks like.

I think I would trade the #6 pick for Young. For Plum, I might hesitate to do the same, but I could see Reeve doing it. She sees a lot of Plum through Team USA.

Young has three seasons of rookie contract left. Plum only has one left.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I think I would trade the #6 pick for Young. For Plum, I might hesitate to do the same, but I could see Reeve doing it. She sees a lot of Plum through Team USA.

Young has three seasons of rookie contract left. Plum only has one left.

Very much could see Jackie Young fitting in with Coach Reeve and the Lynx's style of play. She'd get along with 'Pheesa, in the same way Jess Shepard did.

And, here's a thought: since Indiana didn't exactly blow the doors off everyone, why not bring a very popular southern Indiana player (JY) to play wing, along with the Mitchells and the numerous forwards they have?

Last edited:

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Very much could see Jackie Young fitting in with Coach Reeve and the Lynx's style of play. She'd get along with 'Pheesa, in the same way Jess Shepard did.

And, here's a thought: since Indiana didn't exactly blow the doors off everyone, why not bring a very popular southern Indiana player (JY) to play wing, along with the Mitchells and the numerous forwards they have?

Trading Young, the #1 pick in a very good draft, after just 1 year seems foolish IMO, even with Angel/DRob on the roster. Even if she comes off the bench for another season, Young has the makings of being a very good versatile guard in the league. Trading her for the 6th pick in a bad draft just seems short sighted IMO.

I think Plum fits in better if your goal is to win this year, since Vegas really needs strong perimeter shooting and none of Jackie/Angel/DRob/A'ja/Liz are strong shooters. That said, giving up on Young after one year of playing a new position could come back to bite them big time since I think ultimately she's going to be a very good player in a couple of years.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

So doesn't that make Bentley and Williams teammates again?

At any rate, Dream seem to have won that end of the deal IMO. Williams is a stud and should bring a lot more than Breland/Coffey did for the Dream.

Mercury again look like they may be a 3 woman team with Diggins/Griner/DT. I'm not convinced any of Hartley, Breland or Coffey will actually make a big impact.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
So doesn't that make Bentley and Williams teammates again?

At any rate, Dream seem to have won that end of the deal IMO. Williams is a stud and should bring a lot more than Breland/Coffey did for the Dream.

Mercury again look like they may be a 3 woman team with Diggins/Griner/DT. I'm not convinced any of Hartley, Breland or Coffey will actually make a big impact.

Atlanta released Alex Bentley, who was an unrestricted free agent.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Fever sign 6'10" Hungarian Center.
She's playing alonside Candice DuPree this winter, so maybe the player sent word back...If Ms. Hatar, Teaira McCowan and Ms. DuPreee are in at the same time, that is one tall front line.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Trading Young, the #1 pick in a very good draft, after just 1 year seems foolish IMO, even with Angel/DRob on the roster. Even if she comes off the bench for another season, Young has the makings of being a very good versatile guard in the league. Trading her for the 6th pick in a bad draft just seems short sighted IMO.

I think Plum fits in better if your goal is to win this year, since Vegas really needs strong perimeter shooting and none of Jackie/Angel/DRob/A'ja/Liz are strong shooters. That said, giving up on Young after one year of playing a new position could come back to bite them big time since I think ultimately she's going to be a very good player in a couple of years.

While I was extrapolating on the suggestion of how Jackie would fit in with Minnesota, I was in no way endorsing Trader Bill give up on his former #1 pick. Young is simply too good an athlete and too versatile a basketball player to give up on within a year; particularly when I think she did pretty darn well playing a largely new position in one tough league.

Obviously, the Aces are all in for going after the championship right now. Candidly, I still think Jackie could help them do it. How will Angel react over the course of an entire season? The two of them could put enormous pressure on opposing teams from the wing, which is saying something considering what the front line will be doing.

If there is a fellow ND alum whose rights are under control of the Aces that could be let go/traded, etc, it's Lindsay Allen. Can't see any room on the roster for her as presently constructed.

Last edited:

bballnut90

Reaction Score
While I was extrapolating on the suggestion of how Jackie would fit in with Minnesota, I was in no way endorsing Trader Bill give up on his former #1 pick. Young is simply too good at athlete and too versatile a basketball player to give up, particularly when I think she did pretty darn well playing a largely new position in one tough league.

Obviously, the Aces are all in for going after the championship right now. Candidly, I still think Jackie could help them do it. How will Angel react over the course of an entire season? The two of them could put enormous pressure on opposing teams from the wing, which is saying something considering what the front line will be doing.

If there is a fellow ND alum whose rights are under control of the Aces that could be let go/traded, etc, it's Lindsay Allen. Can't see any room on the roster for her as presently constructed.

Agreed. Allen could be a really good asset for another team. Just got buried on a good roster loaded with PGs but could flourish on a different team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom