WNBA News | Page 5 | The Boneyard

WNBA News

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Simone Augustus signs with the Sparks

Wow that's a surprise. I thought she was planning to finish her career with the lynx. Crazy how in 2 seasons the lynx no longer have long time staples in maya, whalen, seimone and Brunson. I wonder if she will bring much value to the Sparks. One of the best midrange players ever.

Reaction Score
Wow that's a surprise. I thought she was planning to finish her career with the lynx. Crazy how in 2 seasons the lynx no longer have long time staples in maya, whalen, seimone and Brunson. I wonder if she will bring much value to the Sparks. One of the best midrange players ever.

Brunson is still with the the team. Just in a coaching capacity

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Yikes. I'm sure the loud explosions coming out the kitchen belong to Marina Mabrey, even if she is in Latvia. And I have no idea where Sydney Wiese is this winter (Israel again?), but I bet she's not a happy camper either. At least Mabrey is on a first contract and might be a good person on the roster to balance things out. Still, the recent Sparks moves don't bode well for these two...

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Yikes. I'm sure the loud explosions coming out the kitchen belong to Marina Mabrey, even if she is in Latvia. And I have no idea where Sydney Wiese is this winter (Israel again?), but I bet she's not a happy camper either. At least Mabrey is on a first contract and might be a good person on the roster to balance things out. Still, the recent Sparks moves don't bode well for these two...

I'm surprised Wiese has lasted as long as she has. Not convinced either has what it takes to stick in the league honestly.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Las Vegas signs Raisa Musina to Training Camp contract. The 21 (soon to be 22)-year-old
has played for UMMC since 2017. This year she's playing with, among others, Brittney Griner, Breanna Stewart, Courtney Vandersloot and Emma Meesseman. According to the article below, she's one of four players averaging in double figures.

She's popped up on threads from time to time over the years. To get a quick reminder of her game, here's some tape on the 6'3" forward. Very trim, but has strong moves to the hoop and can nail the three. Training-camp contract does not hurt either side. If she does make the team, I don't know how one figures who gets on the court in Vegas. :rolleyes:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
She’s going to have to move her kitchen to Dallas, because she just got traded there.

So now she'll be competing w/the Samuelson's for PT? Sounds like another crowded situation with not enough minutes for similar players.

Reaction Score
Marina Mabrey can beat out Karlie for a spot. She brings more to the table. Mabrey's last two years definitely helped her draft stick by having to be a playmaker. Shes never gonna be a pg, but she cam make a good pass when needed. She's better than Weise and Karlie Samuelson IMO. I think it'll be interesting if her, Arike, KLS, and Cox are all on the same team. Plus whatever the rookies come from the Wings other picks. The youth is exciting

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I’m not sure what’s going on with Dallas right now. They have 14 players signed plus they have 4 first round draft picks. Max roster size is 12.
Maybe they're going to do a Survivor-style reality TV show to boost hype for the next season, where players are booted week by week in training camp? With a roster whose average age seems to be about 24, seems like the right demographic!

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Marina Mabrey can beat out Karlie for a spot. She brings more to the table. Mabrey's last two years definitely helped her draft stick by having to be a playmaker. Shes never gonna be a pg, but she cam make a good pass when needed. She's better than Weise and Karlie Samuelson IMO. I think it'll be interesting if her, Arike, KLS, and Cox are all on the same team. Plus whatever the rookies come from the Wings other picks. The youth is exciting

This time, It's Karlie one can hear shouting because she and Marina competed for a spot on the Sparks last year that Marina ultimately got.

One reason why Marina chose to play on the Latvian team is she's getting to play a lot of point guard, so she continues to work on her playmaking skills, which will only help her.

Dallas could afford to take flyer on Mabrey and send a 2nd rounder out to LA because they've got 4 first-round draft choices, as Shades point out. Still, what is Dallas going to do with all these players and the incoming draft choices.

I've got to admit, of all the UConn-ND odd couples one can think of in the proverbial kitchen, the one that I'd never imagine is the Mabrey/KLS combo. Oil and vinegar or perhaps two sides of the same coin? We'll find out.

That said, Arike's going to dig having her best buddy back in town (at least for awhile).

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I’m not sure what’s going on with Dallas right now. They have 14 players signed plus they have 4 first round draft picks. Max roster size is 12.

They aren't good at math?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
She's better than Weise and Karlie Samuelson IMO.

The coach of the Sparks didn't think so. Wiese's stats better across the board than Mabrey's last season.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Actually come to think of it, a team with Arike, Kristine Anigwe, and Marina Mabrey WOULD be reality show-worthy in itself - tons of dirty underhanded plays, surly looks, and overacted flops. It'll be a summer of Shakespeare in the (College) Park (Center).

Reaction Score
Las Vegas signs Raisa Musina to Training Camp contract. The 21 (soon to be 22)-year-old
has played for UMMC since 2017. This year she's playing with, among others, Brittney Griner, Breanna Stewart, Courtney Vandersloot and Emma Meesseman. According to the article below, she's one of four players averaging in double figures.

She's popped up on threads from time to time over the years. To get a quick reminder of her game, here's some tape on the 6'3" forward. Very trim, but has strong moves to the hoop and can nail the three. Training-camp contract does not hurt either side. If she does make the team, I don't know how one figures who gets on the court in Vegas. :rolleyes:

Trader Bill is going for it this year! Aces should be a fun team to follow (Looking for a new team, since I've disowned the Mercury after they signed Skylar)

Dillon77

Reaction Score
The coach of the Sparks didn't think so. Wiese's stats better across the board than Mabrey's last season.

I've got a feeling that once Ms. Augustus was signed by the Sparks, the LA GM started hitting speed dial to see what he could get for either Wiese or Mabrey. 2nd rounder? Good enough.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Trader Bill is going for it this year! Aces should be a fun team to follow (Looking for a new team, since I've disowned the Mercury after they signed Skylar)

Public Service Alert from the Dome (really the Joyce Center):
- If your issue is with Skylar, then please enjoy following the Aces.
- If you've got an issue rooting for a team with ND alumni on it, you're going from the pot to the fire: the Aces have Jackie Young, Kayla McBride and, (possibly) Lindsay Allen, not to mention the coach himself; as opposed to the Mercury having the duo of Skylar and Bri Turner.

The Irish Alumni Public Service Announcement is now over. ;) :D

Reaction Score
I've got a feeling that once Ms. Augustus was signed by the Sparks, the LA GM started hitting speed dial to see what he could get for either Wiese or Mabrey. 2nd rounder? Good enough.

The confounding part for me is why Dallas? They have so many trades or cuts to do to whittle their roster down to 12, that I can’t see Mabrey making the final roster.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
The confounding part for me is why Dallas? They have so many trades or cuts to do to whittle their roster down to 12, that I can’t see Mabrey making the final roster.

Assuming you mean, "why did Dallas make the trade?" On the surface of it, this does not make a lot of sense given how many off-season signings they've already made and how many first-round draft choices they have coming up. In particular, you figure Allisha Gray is going to be the other "big guard" and the Samuelson sisters have to fit in there, too. Some possible explanations:

- Maybe Alger had done some scouting on Mabrey when he was with LA and liked what he saw. When Augustus (and the other veteran guards) went to the Sparks, he saw an opportunity to get her, but this time, to Dallas.
Once again, it's not as if every draft choice they have in the next few years is going to make the team (heck, they might have to give away some of those first rounders!).

- MoJeff is slated to take over the point. It's been awhile since she played meaningful minutes. Mabrey has been working all international season in Latvia on her point guard skills. Possible back-up? Plus, Marina is 5" taller and could be used against taller PGs.

- Arike has a two bedroom and needs a roommate? :rolleyes:

As an Irish fan who has followed all Mabreys since their high school days, I would've loved to have seen her shipped to, say, Minnesota or New York, which is starting anew.

Stay tuned.

Reaction Score
Also, Dallas is my biggest candidate to come in last place in the league. That would make the pick they traded away the #13 pick, which isn’t too bad.

Dallas has the third priority on the waiver wire, so if the Sparks needed to cut Mabrey to make salary cap space, all Dallas would have needed was to have ATL and New York pass on her to get her with no trade required. I think it would’ve been well worth the gamble to try to get her on the waiver wire for free and keep that possibly #13 pick.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
- If you've got an issue rooting for a team with ND alumni on it, you're going from the pot to the fire: the Aces have Jackie Young, Kayla McBride and, (possibly) Lindsay Allen, not to mention the coach himself; as opposed to the Mercury having the duo of Skylar and Bri Turner.

I like alot of the Aces players but since they still have Cambage and Lambeer; NO!

Reaction Score

Appreciate the announcement. No problem with any of those players. In fact one of my all-time favorite non-UConn players is a Domer (Natalie Achonwa). So yes, as you may have inferred by now, I have Skylar issues :eek::eek:

bballnut90

Reaction Score

That's my guess. No way both were making a roster. Mabrey probably has more trade value at this point since she's a couple years younger. Plus her playing with Arike at ND gives her a better shot to make the roster. Still think it's major overkill for Dallas though. At 1-3 they have Davis, Gray, Mabrey, Karlie, KLS, Arike, Jefferson, Taylor Hill, and Thornton. Plus whoever they draft with their 4 picks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom