WNBA June 2019 Musings, scores, pictures, etc | Page 7 | The Boneyard

WNBA June 2019 Musings, scores, pictures, etc

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Sky shooting 58% at half today but trailing by 5 due to being -10 on turnovers. Team has made a lot of progress so far this season but turnovers remain a nagging problem.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Oh boy. WNBA about to have an image problem? You've already got the Riquana Williams situation they are trying really hard to pretend doesn't exist. This doesn't help. True equality: female athletes behaving just as badly as male athletes. :rolleyes:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Very disappointing but it seems her play is not affected.

By the way. Dallas / Sun 8PM on NBA-TV

Arike to start

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Very physical game with Arike making ridiculous shot after ridiculous shot. It worked this game but she is so streaky, she can blow the next 2 with those crazy shots. But I suppose she is the best option. Anyway, Sun had their chances at the end but just choked it away. Alyssa had a career high 28 but missed 2 key FT's, Jasmine missed a critical open layup and JJ was in foul trouble all game.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Very physical game with Arike making ridiculous shot after ridiculous shot. It worked this game but she is so streaky, she can blow the next 2 with those crazy shots.
Well it only took her 10 games to have one game where her shooting percentage wasn't horrendous. Rookie of the year!

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Well it only took her 10 games to have one game where her shooting percentage wasn't horrendous. Rookie of the year!

You gotta find some way to spin it.

Because it simply wouldn't do to credit her for being the star player in beating the #1 team in the standings, would it?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Because it simply wouldn't do to credit her for being the star player in beating the #1 team in the standings, would it?

Plebe

Reaction Score

I'm more of a big-picture kind of guy. I'm glad you appreciate my perspective.

Reaction Score
I’m very, very surprised to see Teaira McCowan having this level of impact early.
I obviously followed T McCowan very close being a fan of Mississippi State. She was always listed as 6’7” but many thought she was even taller than that. Another constant remark was that she was as strong as a bull. She also has a pretty good shooting touch as evidenced by her free throws and does a great job establishing position.
In college she was constantly double and triple teamed. I figured when she got to the WNBA she would see more one on one defense. I also thought the skill level of the other players would give her more trouble. However it appears she is still very physically imposing even in this league.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I obviously followed T McCowan very close being a fan of Mississippi State. She was always listed as 6’7” but many thought she was even taller than that. Another constant remark was that she was as strong as a bull. She also has a pretty good shooting touch as evidenced by her free throws and does a great job establishing position.
In college she was constantly double and triple teamed. I figured when she got to the WNBA she would see more one on one defense. I also thought the skill level of the other players would give her more trouble. However it appears she is still very physically imposing even in this league.
And she plays mean.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
McCowan could really dominate if she had (or is able to develop) better touch around the basket. She misses too many bunnies, which stops her from being a dominant offensive force.

She's definitely plenty big and strong for any level and a major obstacle at the rim. I thought teams would pull her out to the perimeter and pick & roll her to death like Oregon did, but it doesn't seem to be the case so far.

Reaction Score
If McCowan could learn that she has to go up strong--and also seek contact--she would be nearly unstoppable. Somebody has to coach her to actually seek contact and not be afraid of it.
Arike has taken a step up the last two games. Her shooting percentage was very competent last game. She'll undoubtedly be a star in this league, something the WNBA really needs right now.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
That fan base would probably be excellent for the WNBA. They will probably poach Kia Nurse from the Liberty and go after every Canadian player.

Reaction Score
If McCowan could learn that she has to go up strong--and also seek contact--she would be nearly unstoppable. Somebody has to coach her to actually seek contact and not be afraid of it.
I’ve tried to understand what you might be seeing regarding her being afraid of contact and I don’t follow. A lot of her foul issues in college were a result of her basically body shoving players out of the way or throwing players across the floor during tie up rebounds.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
That fan base would probably be excellent for the WNBA. They will probably poach Kia Nurse from the Liberty and go after every Canadian player.

The Toronto Dream? :oops:

Plebe

Reaction Score
Load management? Has this ever been a thing in the W?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Cambage having a good game, the rest of the Aces not so much. I've watched them several times this year, they just aren't impressing me. The whole is less than the sum of the parts.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Ooooh Kalani and Cambage getting into it. Cambage inadvertently gave Kalani's (voluminous) hair a tug and Kalani retaliated with a shove in the back. Now under review by the refs.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Kalani Brown with a 2 handed shove in the back to Cambage after Liz's hand briefly got tangled up in Brown's hair. Really looked accidental to me but Brown got a T and Cambage got a flagrant foul.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom