WNBA June 2019 Musings, scores, pictures, etc | Page 10 | The Boneyard

WNBA June 2019 Musings, scores, pictures, etc

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
91-69 Phoenix final. Griner had 23. Sophie Cunningham w/ 19 (career high so far?) and Leilani Mitchell w/ 18 and 11 assists.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Seattle basically hasn't hit any buckets since the first quarter. Surviving on FTs. Might pull this out, up 3 w/ 10 seconds left. Canada has decisively outplayed Slootie tonight. She seems to have some detractors on this site, I just don't see it. She has a lot of potential and I think will be a nice successor to Bird somewhere down the road.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
79-76 Seattle final. DeShield's 3 rims out as time expires.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Seattle basically hasn't hit any buckets since the first quarter. Surviving on FTs. Might pull this out, up 3 w/ 10 seconds left. Canada has decisively outplayed Slootie tonight. She seems to have some detractors on this site, I just don't see it. She has a lot of potential and I think will be a nice successor to Bird somewhere down the road.
Canada's offense can be up and down, but her defense is at an absolutely elite level. She's leading the league in steals by a wide margin.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Canada's offense can be up and down, but her defense is at an absolutely elite level. She's leading the league in steals by a wide margin.

Yep. She was credited w/ 3 steals but probably caused at least twice that many turnovers. I really think her defensive pressure had Sloot off balance most of the game, she wasn't much of a factor.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Went to ESPN's WNBA page this morning. Here's the latest headlines:

Rough season. Injuries, criminal prosecutions, and a record-settingly bad performance from a possible ROY candidate. Speaking of which, she has an interesting philosophy:
The rookie had a rough night from the field, missing a WNBA-record 21 of 23 attempts. "Nothing you can do about that, that's tough," she said after the Wings' 69-68 loss. "Shots didn't fall."

Well, one thing you can do is realize after going 0-10 that tonight's not your night, and maybe you should pass the ball to someone else. Or, at a minimum, get back on D. Speaking of which, I love this truth talk from Agler:
"I've seen her hit those shots," Wings coach Brian Agler said. "She's got to understand that you have to play through contact and you're not going to get calls your way, so you can't stand and look at the official and complain because the other team is going in transition."

Oh Agler, you clearly haven't been watching ND over the past few seasons, have you? Standing around whining at officials while failing to get back in transition was ND Guard Play 101 if your last name started with an O or an M...

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Went to ESPN's WNBA page this morning. Here's the latest headlines:

View attachment 44333

Rough season. Injuries, criminal prosecutions, and a record-settingly bad performance from a possible ROY candidate. Speaking of which, she has an interesting philosophy:

Well, one thing you can do is realize after going 0-10 that tonight's not your night, and maybe you should pass the ball to someone else. Or, at a minimum, get back on D. Speaking of which, I love this truth talk from Agler:

Oh Agler, you clearly haven't been watching ND over the past few seasons, have you? Standing around whining at officials while failing to get back in transition was ND Guard Play 101 if your last name started with an O or an M...

Arike always wanted to be a top headliner. ;)

Plebe

Reaction Score
“The Raptors, to begin with, obviously they’ve completely changed the complexity of what people think about basketball in our country,” WNBA star Kia Nurse said on Prime Time Sports. ...

“I think bringing a WNBA team to the city would do the exact same thing [as the Raptors’ playoff run], continue to grow the game, continue to give young people — especially young girls — an opportunity to see people who look like them, because representation matters, and think ‘oh, I could do this one day, I could have a career in basketball if that’s something I wanted to do.'”

Reaction Score
The Mystics are murdering the Sun right now. These are the top 2 teams.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Honestly I don't think Connecticut is as good as their early record would suggest. They just lost to Dallas, which isn't even a good team, and now down 40 to the Mystics.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
The Mystics are murdering the Sun right now. These are the top 2 teams.

Sun about to be on a 3 game losing streak after that hot start. This absolute beat down has to be concerning.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
If the Mystics don't win the title this year...........................................

Plebe

Reaction Score
If the Mystics don't win the title this year........
Too early to crown a champion. Just based on talent on paper, LA should be able to compete with Washington. But it's more of a development project. Fisher has to figure out how to weave together both Ogwumikes, Parker and Vadeeva into a coherent frontcourt scheme. And of course a lot will depend what becomes of R. Williams, who has really been a spark and has helped to *trigger* their offense.

Reaction Score
If the Mystics don't win the title this year........
I hope EDD can stay healthy. Last seasons Finals were not fun to watch because she was injured. She's gotten a few of her teams to the Finals, only to be hampered by injuries and cause them to not be very competitive.

When healthy, the Mystics look unstoppable on offense. Coach T also drafts very athletic guards and versatile bigs, so their defense is good too.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I hope EDD can stay healthy. Last seasons Finals were not fun to watch because she was injured. She's gotten a few of her teams to the Finals, only to be hampered by injuries and cause them to not be very competitive.

When healthy, the Mystics look unstoppable on offense. Coach T also drafts very athletic guards and versatile bigs, so their defense is good too.

when does Messeman return?

Reaction Score

I actully believe that most WNBA coaches watch very little college basketball. Perhaps they watch the NCAA's or a few high profile games. Anyone who has followed Arika realizes that she is an unconscionable streak shooter who will continue to throw them even when stone cold. She also seldom plays effective defense. Why anyone would draft her so high was beyond me. I often wonder about Agler as well. How can you allow a player who is shooting as badly as Erika and who doesn't play defense still remain on the court? I honestly didn't believe any WNBA coach would allow that to happen.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I actully believe that most WNBA coaches watch very little college basketball. Perhaps they watch the NCAA's or a few high profile games.
WNBA coaches are routinely spotted at games involving players who figure to be potential draftees.

At the Pac-12 tournament in Las Vegas in March, there were up to 4 or 5 of them watching any given game.

Reaction Score
WNBA coaches are routinely spotted at games involving players who figure to be potential draftees.

At the Pac-12 tournament in Las Vegas in March, there were up to 4 or 5 of them watching any given game.
I remember seeing (on TV) Laimbeer and Alger at an NCAA tournament game. I'm sure he has watched this 500 times too...

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
This WNBA season so far, there isn't the slightest bit of consistency from game to game for almost any team. Indiana is red hot and looks amazing so far, leading the Aces 33-25 after Q1. Kelsey Plum might not ever hit another shot again. I've watched 2 of their games recently (I think I missed one), and one quarter today, I think she's about 0-20 since I've been watching. Almost every shot has rimmed out. I don't know who it's possible to be that unlucky, but she has been. I missed 2 games prior to this ice cold streak where she hit 16-28 from the floor.

Okay, I looked at her game logs, she is 2-28 in the last 4+ games (Ogunbowale says "hold my beer, I can do that in 1 game").

Plebe

Reaction Score
This WNBA season so far, there isn't the slightest bit of consistency from game to game for almost any team. Indiana is red hot and looks amazing so far, leading the Aces 33-25 after Q1. Kelsey Plum might not ever hit another shot again. I've watched 2 of their games recently (I think I missed one), and one quarter today, I think she's about 0-20 since I've been watching. Almost every shot has rimmed out. I don't know who it's possible to be that unlucky, but she has been. I missed 2 games prior to this ice cold streak where she hit 16-28 from the floor.

Okay, I looked at her game logs, she is 2-28 in the last 4+ games (Ogunbowale says "hold my beer, I can do that in 1 game").
It looks like Laimbeer is going with a big lineup of Cambage-Wilson-Hamby all on the floor at the same time.

Wilson is having a great game, already 20 points including 8 free throws.
McCowan has proven she belongs in the starting lineup for Indiana. She has 8/5 midway thru 2Q.

Reaction Score
It looks like Laimbeer is going with a big lineup of Cambage-Wilson-Hamby all on the floor at the same time.

Wilson is having a great game, already 20 points including 8 free throws.
McCowan has proven she belongs in the starting lineup for Indiana. She has 8/5 midway thru 2Q.
McCowan will be good, but she has a long way to go to be "really good." She got abused by Griner last night.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
McCowan will be good, but she has a long way to go to be "really good." She got abused by Griner last night.

Yeah but she's getting the better of Cambage so far tonight.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom