Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Parker and the Sky

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
The same thing happened to them in the last series.
Aces barely won Game 1. This was something entirely different. Again the Merc can't guard the opponents perimeter players, and it looks like Parker/Stevens/Dolson are gonna offer a whole lot more resistance than Wilson/Cambage/Stokes/Hamby did. It is just one game, but it might be very different than the semis.

Reaction Score
Wednesday after Phoenix has sufficient rest we'll see just how much fight is left in them. If they don't win game 2 I think the series is over.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
My hope is that Taurasi stops barking at the officials from start to finish. Yes, she gets fouled a lot, but she gives as good as she gets. And she then becomes like the boy who cried wolf - they tune her out after awhile and then she doesn't get the calls end of game when she should. Just shut up and play!
Well, I guess your hopes were dashed.:(

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
They’re really pushing this Parker-DT rivalry…was this really a thing? I don’t remember it ever being one
Nope. But Parker is the most hated Tennessee player among UCONN fans and vice versa about Taurasi with Tennessee fans. Both are legendary players who are also polarizing. Lots of parallels between the two even though I've never heard of any rivalry or public dislike of each other.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Geno impressed with the Sky and the Husky presence.

“Azura, she’s the perfect pro player,” Auriemma said. “She’s long, she can play a bunch of positions. ... Those are the players that are going to be more successful in the WNBA.”

Dolson won two titles at UConn and remains a favorite of Auriemma.

“I don’t know that there’s any team, anywhere, that wouldn’t benefit from having Stefanie Dolson,” he said.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
The result of this game wasn't surprising: The Sky have been out west preparing, so they were rested and acclimated. The Mercury looked liked they needed rest after the massive effort needed to get here on Friday, less than two full days before the start of this first game. (Really wanted to fill that Sunday p.m. TV slot, right? :rolleyes: )

Having some days off will help, for sure. But they've got to find someone who can at least make Copper work harder. Diggins and Peddy simply aren't big/strong enough to match up with her. Obviously, Kia Nurse is out all series and Ive got to wonder just how effecitve Cunningham can be with this calf injury. I wonder is she can put Megan Walker -- who is Copper's size -- out for a few more minutes for defensive purposes. Or will Coach Brondello rather have someone she trusts offensively to generate points?

I agree wih those who say this game is the crucial one....Stay tuned.

Reaction Score
I figured the Sky would win game 1 if only due to the fact Phoenix would be exhausted after game 5. Game 2 will tell the tale of who should win this series. I don't bet against DT and if she's able to go she will get hers, I just wonder will there be enough depth to hang with Chicago.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
My hope is that Taurasi stops barking at the officials from start to finish. Yes, she gets fouled a lot, but she gives as good as she gets. And she then becomes like the boy who cried wolf - they tune her out after awhile and then she doesn't get the calls end of game when she should. Just shut up and play!

In case you haven't noticed Parker does it just as much. And a lot of the other players do it as well. But Taurasi doesn't just do it for herself she does it for her teammates as well.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Nope. But Parker is the most hated Tennessee player among UCONN fans and vice versa about Taurasi with Tennessee fans. Both are legendary players who are also polarizing. Lots of parallels between the two even though I've never heard of any rivalry or public dislike of each other.
I recall that about 10 years ago (maybe more), Diana was asked who (in her estimation) were the best three WBB players in the world. She replied that it was herself, Candace Parker, and Lauren Jackson. I don't think anyone thought that was a controversial evaluation at the time.

When the announcers (I think it was Holly Rowe) said during yesterday's game that Diana and Parker had a good relationship when they were teammates in Russia, but that they had a falling-out since, it was news to me -- and I question whether that wasn't just hype to make the series more interesting. Clearly there is mutual respect between them.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
SDS was never a great defender, but I've noticed her working a lot harder this season, and particularly in the playoffs. If Copper continues to hit threes she is pretty much unguardable.

Sky have just so many offensive weapons, and depth (if not consistency) from the bench. Dolson was pretty quiet against CT, and barely played the last 2 games of the series. Then she explodes in game 1 of the finals. Also been impressed with Vandersloot's aggressiveness on offense looking for her own shot.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The loss of Kia Nurse looms very large in this series. She's by far Phoenix's best perimeter defender and without her they have a massive matchup problem in defending Kahleah Copper. So they have to just hope she has an off game (which hasn't been happening lately) and/or try to outscore Chicago. Not gonna be easy.

Years ago I said that Parker was never going to win on a team where she was the best player. That was borne out in 2016, when it took Nneka's MVP year to get the Sparks over the hump. Parker is still a great player, but she's probably the Sky's 3rd-best player after Copper and Vandersloot.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Oops, I posted in the wrong thread. I read elsewhere Cunningham is not listed on the injured list today, so she should be a go for tonight.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Cunningham not only back, she started.

Will anyone other than Griner score for Phoenix tonight? More than halfway thru Q1 it's Chicago 15 Griner 10.

I'm not sure if the Merc are attempting to make some defensive adjustments from Game 1, but if they are it ain't working. Chicago is finding a mismatch and exploiting it on almost every possession. Looks like they can score at will so far. Griner might have to score 80 or more to keep the Merc in this one.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Not a single FT in Q1. That is unusual.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Diggins-Smith breaks the FT drought.

Phoenix hasn't been whistled for a single foul nearly 13 minutes into the game. Sure, okay.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Cunningham doing her thing again. 3-4 behind the arc.

edit--and she seems to be getting under Copper's skin; Kahleah just horse collared her on a loose ball scramble and then had some words for her

Sky have gone ice cold after a good start.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Chicago is getting dangerously close to going an entire half without a FT. Under 3 minutes left.

edit--it happened, not a single FT for the Sky in the first half

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Tied at 40 at the half. Not sure which way this will go. DT hasn't gotten going at all. SDS has 9 pts/5 assists but 3-12 shooting. Griner scored the first 10 for Phoenix, but only 4 since. Cunningham is having a big impact.

Chicago is 2-11 from 3, after a not so good Game 1. If they can start hitting 3's that would be huge. Parker and Quigley took some really bad shots in Q2 (and didn't hit them). Stevens has her fingerprints all over this game. 4 blocks, 7 points. Copper leading them w/ 10. Sloot w/ 6 pts (3-4 shooting) and 7 assists. Chicago can probably live w/ 7 TOs so far, but Phoenix only has 4.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Copper is also leading everybody w/ 7 rebounds. Quiglely and Cunningham both have 5, tied w/ Griner and more than any of the other post players from either team. That's kind weird.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Tied at 40 at the half. Not sure which way this will go. DT hasn't gotten going at all. SDS has 9 pts/5 assists but 3-12 shooting. Griner scored the first 10 for Phoenix, but only 4 since. Cunningham is having a big impact.

Chicago is 2-11 from 3, after a not so good Game 1. If they can start hitting 3's that would be huge. Parker and Quigley took some really bad shots in Q2 (and didn't hit them). Stevens has her fingerprints all over this game. 4 blocks, 7 points. Copper leading them w/ 10. Sloot w/ 6 pts (3-4 shooting) and 7 assists. Chicago can probably live w/ 7 TOs so far, but Phoenix only has 4.
Stevens/Dolson were terrific in the first along with Copper for the Sky. Griner/Cunningham carrying Phoenix. Very quiet first half for DT. Should be a battle in the 2nd.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
A couple terrible decisions in a row by Parker leading to a Phoenix rally. Sky had a chance to go up double digits, now it's down to 4.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
63-57 Sky thru Q3. Still anybody's game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom