And the winner is ...

• D and the Mercury

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Parker and the Sky

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
The chicago sky lost Elena Delle Donne in 2017 and were becoming a team that free agents were avoiding for that very reason Now they’re champs

Reaction Score
I just love Courtney's comments when asked why didn't she leave/go to a different team when she had the chance, especially after that 2014 Finals run. "For this moment right here! To win a championship for Chicago!" She did it. Same for Allie. Great work, ladies! Way to go, Chicago...and they did it with a .500 record!

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
The chicago sky lost Elena Delle Donne in 2017 and were becoming a team that free agents were avoiding for that very reason Now they’re champs
Who would have thought when Chicago got Copper in that trade that she would one day lead Chicago to a title as Finals MVP.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Congratulations as well to Allie Quigley, who played college ball locally at DePaul and who led the Sky in scoring in this game with 26 points.

I love how the Finals MVP debate is between Copper and Sloot. No one is under the illusion that Candace is even in the ballpark on that one.

Again, the entire series was handicapped by Kia Nurse's ACL injury. I truly believe that decided this title.

Reaction Score
Congratulations as well to Allie Quigley, who played college ball locally at DePaul and who led the Sky in scoring in this game with 26 points.

I love how the Finals MVP debate is between Copper and Sloot. No one is under the illusion that Candace is even in the ballpark on that one.

Again, the entire series was handicapped by Kia Nurse's ACL injury. I truly believe that decided this title.
Phoenix and Seattle will have the same problem next year. Hopefully both issues will resolve themselves. Phoenix couldn't afford to lose one of their core players like Nurse because 3 players had max contracts meaning depth was very limited. Seattle was ok this year because only Sue was Max contract.
It's time for Seattle and Phoenix to get younger, and spend money on younger players to provide depth.

Reaction Score
I am happy for Parker, Sloot, and the Sky. This is a franchise that struggled for years and saw two major stars basically force their way out with not too much in return, at least initially. Parker wasn't the series MVP but she was definitely the missing piece for them this year and they wouldn't win the title without her. I'm glad she may have exorcised some demons in this series.

I have no problem with Phoenix, know Nurse not being out there hurt them, but the 3 max contracts means almost no room for depth of any kind. This season and postseason is the most consistent I've seen Griner play and she's difficult to stop. Stevens and Dolson did a great job on her and she still got points. It takes a special player to do that.

If this is the last we see of DT and Bird as players, then it has been an absolute pleasure watching them for twenty years since they first suited up for the Huskies. I don't like to see any athlete hang around for too long and personally believe both ladies should take their final bows. Neither will disappear from the spotlight if they choose to remain around basketball in some capacity and both have been great for the game.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Parker definitely could've been named MVP and it wouldn't have been out of left field. I find it comical how people go great lengths to discredit her. She played great this series--averaging 14.5 points, 8.5 boards, 3.75 assists, 2.25 steals and shot 52% from the floor. Those numbers aren't far off Sloot/Copper's. Today she had 16 points, 13 rebounds, 5 assists and 4 steals, plus she ignited the comeback in the 2nd half and tied the game with a huge three down the stretch. Not to mention she played phenomenal defense all series.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
If we're gonna talk about missing players deciding who wins a series, pardon me while I point out that Phoenix doesn't get by Seattle if Stewie is playing. They barely beat them w/out her and Loyd had a horrible game. So there's that.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I am a Minnesota fan but just think what we would have missed had they beaten Chicago.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Not sure I agree. Nurse is a better player than Shay Peddy (0-7 the final 2 games) but I don't think her injury decided the title. That said, the Mercury played 3 vs 5 on offense and 1 of the 3 was a 39 year old with multiple injuries this season and without the ability to carry teams consistently anymore. Griner was phenomenal and did her best to put the team on her back but it wasn't enough. The Sky had multiple offensive weapons to turn to and the Mercury had at best 3. That's not going to win a championship.

Honestly, the title was decided by the Aces's inexplicable loss to the Mercury. An Aces vs Sky final would have been more compelling and a much better match-up.

As an aside, I'm not sure when the broadcasting rights agreement is up next but I would sure like to see some competition for ESPN. The fact that the Mercury had to play a Game 5 against the Aces on Friday night, fly home commercial on Saturday and then play Game 1 of the Finals at noon on Sunday was just terrible. That would never happen in the NBA. After all these years, the WNBA is still so beholding to ESPN and that has to change.

Reaction Score
Phoenix wouldnt meet with the press after the game.

If this in fact accurate it ruffles my feathers. Teams need to be as gracious in defeat as they are celebratory in victory. I get that fans may cry foul, gnash teeth and be petty. I've done that and more before. I do expect more from the organization and coaching/management staff than to just ignore the press.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
If this in fact accurate it ruffles my feathers. Teams need to be as gracious in defeat as they are celebratory in victory. I get that fans may cry foul, gnash teeth and be petty. I've done that and more before. I do expect more from the organization and coaching/management staff than to just ignore the press.
Many reporters, covering the WNBA, and covering other sports, were tweeting about it.

I also read something, cant find the link, that Phoenix had to leave Wintrust by 5.10pm CDT, to catch their plane(charter flight) back to Phoenix. The game ended at 4.12pm CDT. So that gave them less than an hour to reflect in the locker room, shower and get going.

In general, I have no problem with them not wanting to talk. They talked after the other 2 games they lost.
Nearly every story that is written about a winning championship game/series has stories and quotes from the winning side, and very limited coverage from the losing side.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Not sure I agree. Nurse is a better player than Shay Peddy (0-7 the final 2 games) but I don't think her injury decided the title. That said, the Mercury played 3 vs 5 on offense and 1 of the 3 was a 39 year old with multiple injuries this season and without the ability to carry teams consistently anymore. Griner was phenomenal and did her best to put the team on her back but it wasn't enough. The Sky had multiple offensive weapons to turn to and the Mercury had at best 3. That's not going to win a championship.

Honestly, the title was decided by the Aces's inexplicable loss to the Mercury. An Aces vs Sky final would have been more compelling and a much better match-up.

As an aside, I'm not sure when the broadcasting rights agreement is up next but I would sure like to see some competition for ESPN. The fact that the Mercury had to play a Game 5 against the Aces on Friday night, fly home commercial on Saturday and then play Game 1 of the Finals at noon on Sunday was just terrible. That would never happen in the NBA. After all these years, the WNBA is still so beholding to ESPN and that has to change.
If they were to ditch ESPN, where do you suggest they go?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom