WNBA Finals - Sun v. Aces | Page 5 | The Boneyard

WNBA Finals - Sun v. Aces

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's not surprising that it appears to be more people rooting for Vegas. Much like the GSW in the NBA, Vegas plays a more exciting style of basketball, have likeable personalities and the storyline of Becky Hammond is is just icing on the cake.
Please. Becky Hammond is the icing and the cake.

Reaction Score
rooting for Mark Davis cause he owns the raiders, man the raiders play their home opener Sunday and the Wnba game 4, crazy that he will not be in Vegas but in Connecticut. That just goes to show you tho how much effort he put into the Vegas Aces. If more owners were involved in the Wnba, would not be this bad of a league financially.

Reaction Score
Would it be fair to say this series could be 2-1 for the Sun had Connecticut's shooting been better in Game 1? Just on Bonner's shooting alone, that game could have been a different end result.
Fair to say. Definitely could have been 2-1 Connecticut if they made shots in Game 1.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Aces certainly didn't play great in Game 1. They managed to pull out a W in a game that was very much the Sun's style. And as pointed out, Plum's shooting was as off as Bonner's. So as far as woulda coulda shouldas, the Aces also could've won Game 1 by a much bigger margin if some things had gone more their way.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It's not surprising that it appears to be more people rooting for Vegas. Much like the GSW in the NBA, Vegas plays a more exciting style of basketball, have likeable personalities and the storyline of Becky Hammond is is just icing on the cake.
!!!

So the Sun players are unlikable? Some really loaded assumptions and stereotypes there. And the comparison to GSW is bizarre. Connecticut's 18-0 run to put away Chicago was one the most exciting deciding-game finishes I've ever seen.

Becky Hammon is uniquely loved in our sport and Wilson (deservedly) gets MVP-level attention (or idolatry). But neither team is inherently more likable or exciting.

Reaction Score
!!!

So the Sun players are unlikable? Some really loaded assumptions and stereotypes there. And the comparison to GSW is bizarre. Connecticut's 18-0 run to put away Chicago was one the most exciting deciding-game finishes I've ever seen.

Becky Hammon is uniquely loved in our sport and Wilson (deservedly) gets MVP-level attention (or idolatry). But neither team is inherently more likable or exciting.
That's not what I said. You're making assumptions based on my post. I do think Vegas plays a more exciting brand of basketball for more casual fans, hence the GSW comparison that also gets the similar love. They generally shoot a lot of 3s, they have one of the better passers and one of the most clutch shooters in all of basketball in Gray and they have one of the more hype players on the court in Wilson.

I personally think the Sun play good ball but the style of play isn't as a well received from casual fans, they play tough defense and rely more heavily on in the paint points. I would make the same argument about SC and UConn, more casuals would gravitate towards UConn because the offense isn't as reliant on scoring in the paint.

As for the players, I don't think the CT players are unlikable at all, they often play with a chip on their shoulder and play very tough, I appreciate it as a fan but it's not the same as Vegas. I don't think there's a team in the league that appears to look like they are having as much fun as them both on and off the court this season. They just have more outgoing personalities as whole and they make the job easier for the media to cover with their wackiness and fun demeanor.

As for Hammon her story speaks for itself as both a player and her coaching journey. My comment was never in aby disrespect to CT and that was never my intent. My point is that there's a lot more of material that would be easier to sell based on what Vegas provides both on and off the court and that's I believe the media may lean their way.

Plebe

Reaction Score
That's not what I said. You're making assumptions based on my post. I do think Vegas plays a more exciting brand of basketball for more casual fans, hence the GSW comparison that also gets the similar love. They generally shoot a lot of 3s, they have one of the better passers and one of the most clutch shooters in all of basketball in Gray and they have one of the more hype players on the court in Wilson.
LV averages less than 10 FG3 attempts per game. Steph Curry alone averages more attempts per game. It's a bit of a reach.

Connecticut obviously doesn't quite the same threats from 3 but they also average more steals which creates more exciting transition plays.

Reaction Score
LV averages less than 10 FG3 attempts per game. Steph Curry alone averages more attempts per game. It's a bit of a reach.

Connecticut obviously doesn't quite the same threats from 3 but they also average more steals which creates more exciting transition plays.
LV has averaged a playoff high 25.7 3FGA. They make 10 a game and were third in attempts per game in the regular season.

Plebe

Reaction Score
LV has averaged a playoff high 25.7 3FGA. They make 10 a game and were third in attempts per game in the regular season.
Oops. My bad for messing up the stats report. Thanks for setting me straight.

By comparison, Golden State averaged over 39 attempts per game and 14.3 makes.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
That looked like a Laimbeer era statistic for the Aces. I thought that didn't sound right.

Reaction Score
!!!

Saying one team is more likable in the league, does not make the players on other teams " unlikable'. I like chocolate ice cream the best, but that does not mean I do not like any other flavor. It is obvious that being from the area you would have a biase for the Sun, but don't take it so personally. The poster you are responding too was referring to fans in general, not those aligned with any specific team. Not everyone is going to have the same perspective of a team that its fans most rightfully, do and should, have.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Another Las Vegas team came to CT last night and got their clock cleaned. Things happen in 3's the say...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I just can't see "casual" WNBA fans picking sides based on style of play. I think just knowing a teams style of play makes one more knowledgeable than a casual fan. Besides, this side issue started about ESPN and the sports media rooting for LV, not casual fans.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Saying one team is more likable in the league, does not make the players on other teams " unlikable'. I like chocolate ice cream the best, but that does not mean I do not like any other flavor. It is obvious that being from the area you would have a biase for the Sun, but don't take it so personally. The poster you are responding too was referring to fans in general, not those aligned with any specific team. Not everyone is going to have the same perspective of a team that its fans most rightfully, do and should, have.
LOL I am not "from the area". I have no background or connection whatsoever in the state of Connecticut or even New England, aside from being a UConn WBB fan. I haven't watched any more of the Sun's games than any other teams'.

The post clearly said more people are rooting for LV because of "likable personalities", which clearly implies that CT's personalities are less likable.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
LOL I am not "from the area". I have no background or connection whatsoever in the state of Connecticut or even New England, aside from being a UConn WBB fan. I haven't watched any more of the Sun's games than any other teams'.
It was a nice try though. LOL

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
UGLY. Just a horrible game. This is the Finals with a Championship possibly being decided today?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
With the Jets and Giants winning :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:, this is the day for underdogs. Go Sun.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Wilson, Plum and Young all shooting poorly, but Aces somehow leading. If they hold on, I think I've flip flopped back to Gray being Finals MVP.

Reaction Score
Alyssa Thomas one rebound and one assist away from another triple double.

Reaction Score
About time! Jackie Young with two drives to the bucket. Glad she stopped throwing up long range shots and went with the drives.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Bonner extended her foot further to make sure she landed on Plum. I really don't agree w/ that reckless close out call. BS.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Being that I live in Vegas, I see that the Ace's have become more popular since Davis bought the team and that Becky Hammon became the coach. Laimbeer was not a likable coach, had some challenges with some players, but he did help the Aces get better. He didn't have much of a Vegas like personality. Hammon was known in Vegas because of her becoming the first female coach to not only coach but win the 2015 NBA Summer League title here in Vegas.

Davis came in and shook up the leadership from the top down, brought in former LSU coach Nikki Fargas to be the President of the Aces with the thinking of Laimbeer staying for at least another season. Laimbeer stated to Fargas that she needs to consider getting somebody that has a high profile basketball credibility to take the franchise to another level for next year after he retires. Fargas mentioned Hammon and he stated that she was absolutely a perfect choice.

Laimbeer figured it was a long shot and "it wasn't going to happen" that Hammon would accept and when Fargas approached him that they might be able to get Hammon to coach in the 2022 season, Laimbeer said great and that if it happens he would retire from coaching.

I believe that the main reason's why Becky Hammon became the coach of the Ace's because;

1. The Aces were originally the San Antonio Stars, the team that she played for 7 years until her retirement, and had 7 years experience as a NBA assistant coach with the Spurs.

2. She has wanted to get to coach professional basketball and Las Vegas isn't a bad place to start, they had most of the pieces in place to be able to win without any major rebuilding.

3. Both Davis and Fargas let Hammon know that she would be the one with the final say on who made the team.

4. Last but not least is "IT'S VEGAS BABY"!!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom