WNBA Finals - Sun v. Aces | Page 7 | The Boneyard

WNBA Finals - Sun v. Aces

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Well since y'all won't let this go, I never said the CT players weren't likeable. I only pointed out the Vegas team as a whole has a more outgoing personality as a whole that appeals to the media.

One player alone doesn't sway the needle alone for the rest of the team, especially one who is hardly ever pushed forward by the organization like a Wilson, Plum , Hamby or Gray. The irony in the unnecessary digs at Riquana, is that her personality would be a perfect fit at CT, she's a very hard nosed player who is not really big on the shenanigans like the bulk of the Vegas squad and saying this doesn't mean its the diss you're making it out to be.
I think we can all agree that the entire likability discussion, which you started, btw, is ridiculous.

I was simply noting the irony of an Aces player I find unlikable (I confess to having a bias against people who threaten others with a gun) was in fact the hero of today's game.

Reaction Score
I think we can all agree that the entire likability discussion, which you started, btw, is ridiculous.

I was simply noting the irony of an Aces player I find unlikable (I confess to having a bias against people who threaten others with a gun) was in fact the hero of today's game.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, the more personable franchise players are, the more likely the media at large and people are more likely to root for said team, which was the whole point in my bringing it up as to why it seems as though everyone was rooting for Vegas. Riquana has had her issues, just like many other players in the league over the years, but she hardly is a factor when it comes to the team at large in that department because like I said they rarely ever promote her or push her in the forefront and if we're being honest she's was largely irrelevant for about 90% of the season as well. A much better example of this would have Liz who was actually one of the faces of the Aces with a questionable personality.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Ok... I promise this will be my last Chelsea Gray post in this thread

Keep the Gray posts coming, they're well deserved. Every single playoff game she shot over 50% from the floor, and the majority of her shots were tough contested looks. She did better shooting with a hand in her face creating off the dribble than she does catch and shoot. Final playoff stats were 21.7 points per game and 7 assists per game on 61% FG, 54% 3pt, and 83% FT. Instead of the 50/40/90 goal she reached 60/50 which is unreal. Could've gone to Wilson who was also spectacular but Gray was on a different level.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Not gonna lie, these finals were extremely underwhelming until the 4th quarter today. Lots of defense, bad offense, and not a lot of players consistently stepping up aside from Gray/Wilson/Thomas. Neither team was firing on all cylinders and the series overall definitely pales in comparison to the Storm/Aces semis. That said, the 4th quarter today was phenomenal. Connecticut looked prime to send the series to 5, but then Riquna Williams single-handedly took over the last 2 minutes, scoring 8 points in 68 seconds to retake the lead and seal the win. Plum also hit a huge bucket and A'ja Wilson made a couple of key defensive plays. Big efforts from a number of players.

Happy to see the Aces take it home, Gray and Wilson deserve a title after their efforts this post season. I think these playoffs has established Gray as a legendary playmaker and PG in the league, I don't think there's ever been a PG in the league with her sense of flair, ability to create and her ability to score, not to mention her insane clutch streak. As far Wilson, this definitely puts her in an elite category of players. In just her 5th year she's won 2 MVPS, played in 2 finals, won a title and Vegas seems primed to win a few more with their stacked roster. She'll quickly work her way up the all time ranks.

Also thrilled for Hammon to come in and make her mark on the league. I hope she gets her crack at coaching an NBA team if that's what she's looking to accomplish. Seems like she has a lot of respect from NBA players and fans. Anytime I see something women's basketball related from Bleacher Report or ESPN, Facebook comments are generally flooded with sexist comments but anytime it's about Hammon the comments usually allude to her being able to coach in the NBA. Would love to see her continue to break barriers if that's what she wants to do. Otherwise, if she wants to attempt creating the next WNBA dynasty I am all for that as well.

In regards to Connecticut, I think this may have been their last real shot unless they do some roster revamping. They had a great year and have a lot of talent but they don't have any strong up and coming players and I think they'll fall behind the likes of Vegas and potentially NY (if Stewart goes there) as a lot of their players are hitting their prime while a lot of Sun players are past theirs.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I said it at the beginning of the season that the Sun lack 3-point shooting. They were missing Jasmine Thomas, but she isn't the answer either. The Aces killed them on the perimeter which made it tough to stay with them. Hats off to AT, not only being the first player in WNBA history to record a triple-double in the final but backing it up with another on Sunday. That would be 4 on the season, breaking her own record of 3 that she set Thursday. I think the Sun need a new PG, as well as one or two 3 point shooters. Bonner has had a great career, but she is too inconsistent and turnover prone. Heideman is a good back-up, but not good enough to be the starting PG. Unfortunately, they will be drafting almost last in the draft again which does not bode well for getting a really good player. Maybe it's time to give Nia Clouden a shot.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
The Sun are an interesting conundrum. They've been so close for so long that it's hard to think about breaking up the roster when it's a roster that's brought you to 4 straight semifinals, and two finals in those 4 years (Losing to DC in 5 and Vegas in 4, never as the higher seed). Getting Courtney Williams back was a huge upgrade over January, but then they lost Thomas so early in the season. WE'll see if they're able to keep B. Jones--she's going to get thrown a lot of money this offseason. Carrington showed promise this year; if she can continue to develop, she could be a dynamic threat. But i'm not sure what the solution is unless they somehow find a way to get Jewell Loyd to come.

Reaction Score
The Sun are an interesting conundrum. They've been so close for so long that it's hard to think about breaking up the roster when it's a roster that's brought you to 4 straight semifinals, and two finals in those 4 years (Losing to DC in 5 and Vegas in 4, never as the higher seed).
My post last week concerned maybe it's time to think about what they could be missing. There are of course no guarantees of healthy, chemistry, or year to year success but I think it's worth a conversation to move one of the front court players for a young guard who is a consistent shooter and scorer. I have no issue with the Sun franchise or the players but I'd say it's time to see what could be received for B Jones, J Jones, or Bonner. Thomas is simply too valuable to give up.

Vegas at present is loaded and Hammon was the icing on the cake. I believe over the years there have been too many coaching hires in every franchise that were like "hmmm well someone has to go there" (Nygard and Fisher are the two most recent but there have been dozens in the league's history). Hammon is a legit basketball coach who played then learned from one of the best in the NBA. Her roster is stacked for sure but someone has to make it all fit together. She deserves credit for that.

Reaction Score
My post last week concerned maybe it's time to think about what they could be missing. There are of course no guarantees of healthy, chemistry, or year to year success but I think it's worth a conversation to move one of the front court players for a young guard who is a consistent shooter and scorer. I have no issue with the Sun franchise or the players but I'd say it's time to see what could be received for B Jones, J Jones, or Bonner. Thomas is simply too valuable to give up.

Vegas at present is loaded and Hammon was the icing on the cake. I believe over the years there have been too many coaching hires in every franchise that were like "hmmm well someone has to go there" (Nygard and Fisher are the two most recent but there have been dozens in the league's history). Hammon is a legit basketball coach who played then learned from one of the best in the NBA. Her roster is stacked for sure but someone has to make it all fit together. She deserves credit for that.
Agree 100%. The front office also deserves some kudos as Fargas, Williams and Laimbeer (while there) have had an effect on this roster and how the team operates. Mr. Davis made some sound decisions when he bought the team.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Congratulations, Becky Hammon!

year one.jpg

Reaction Score
I don't think the Sun need to blow it up but they do need to add some offense. I find the team very likeable.
Rebuilding for the sake of rebuilding doesn't make sense to me either. Some of their adjustments helped (e.g. resigning Williams). Unfortunately, injuries hampered them in other areas. Hopefully they don't take a drastic approach because, like you, I think they're close.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Congratulations, Becky Hammon!

View attachment 79160
First professional championship for the City of Las Vegas. Hammon changed the way the Aces play basketball. She did the exact opposite of what Laimbeer had been doing the previous years. She made it harder to play against them by spreading the floor, sharing the ball, and embracing the 3pt shot by letting the players shoot if they're open.

But this wouldn't have happened if Mark Davis had not bought the team in 2021, he bought them from MGM Resorts. MGM didn't really support them the way a pro team should be supported. Davis came in spent the money to improve their program from the bottom up, new and better equipment, better conditions and real support. He stated when he bought the team the following "These women can be such a value for our community as a whole. Get them working with kids and at clinics and making enough money so they don't have to also go over to Europe to play.

There is going to be a parade this Tuesday on at 5:30 P.M. on the Southbound portion of the Strip. It will close between Flamingo Road and Bellagio Drive from 6:00 A.M. to 11:00 P.M., the parade will last about an hour.

Reaction Score
First professional championship for the City of Las Vegas. Hammon changed the way the Aces play basketball. She did the exact opposite of what Laimbeer had been doing the previous years. She made it harder to play against them by spreading the floor, sharing the ball, and embracing the 3pt shot by letting the players shoot if they're open.

But this wouldn't have happened if Mark Davis had not bought the team in 2021, he bought them from MGM Resorts. MGM didn't really support them the way a pro team should be supported. Davis came in spent the money to improve their program from the bottom up, new and better equipment, better conditions and real support. He stated when he bought the team the following "These women can be such a value for our community as a whole. Get them working with kids and at clinics and making enough money so they don't have to also go over to Europe to play.

There is going to be a parade this Tuesday on at 5:30 P.M. on the Southbound portion of the Strip. It will close between Flamingo Road and Bellagio Drive from 6:00 A.M. to 11:00 P.M., the parade will last about an hour.
1) Sometimes I wish there was a fire option when liking a post because this is a huge component for Vegas' success. Definitely a chip of the old block as they say when you think of how his father structured the Raiders and built his front office staff. Not always perfect but he invested in a lot of talented people who helped make the franchise what they are.

2) The parade may be an hour, however the pre-parade celebrations could be epic (within reason I hope) ;).

Reaction Score
Rebuilding for the sake of rebuilding doesn't make sense to me either. Some of their adjustments helped (e.g. resigning Williams). Unfortunately, injuries hampered them in other areas. Hopefully they don't take a drastic approach because, like you, I think they're close.
There definitely shouldn't be a complete rebuild but I maintain the idea of moving one of the front court rotation players for a younger guard should be considered IMO.

Reaction Score
There definitely shouldn't be a complete rebuild but I maintain the idea of moving one of the front court rotation players for a younger guard should be considered IMO.
This isn't drastic in my mind, unless it's Jonquel Jones being considered. That would be drastic.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
This isn't drastic in my mind, unless it's Jonquel Jones being considered. That would be drastic.
As good as JJ is, I think A. Thomas is their most irreplaceable player, by a wide margin. They had a good 2021 season with her injured for most of it, but she just does so many different things on the court for them.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Anybody gonna go out on a limb and predict a repeat for Vegas next year? There hasn't been a back to back Champ since the Sparks in '01 and '02. 3 of the last 4 years has seen a first time champ. Aces could make a few moves to bolster their roster like the Sky did and still end up short.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Aces have to be the favorite; but they weren't exactly a dominant force this year. IMO, any of the top 4 seeds would have been worthy champions, and the Aces had to win A LOT of close games over both the Storm and Sun to win the championship.

The thing they have going for them is their roster should look pretty identical next year (at least the starters). Very unclear what so many other teams will look like.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I thought J. Jones was off a bit this year. The talent evaluators have to decide if she's going to bounce back or not and make moves accordingly.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I thought J. Jones was off a bit this year. The talent evaluators have to decide if she's going to bounce back or not and make moves accordingly.
Maybe it's a matter of JJ and AT don't really compliment each other all that well? JJ's MVP was while AT missed almost the entire season.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Anybody gonna go out on a limb and predict a repeat for Vegas next year? There hasn't been a back to back Champ since the Sparks in '01 and '02. 3 of the last 4 years has seen a first time champ. Aces could make a few moves to bolster their roster like the Sky did and still end up short.

Right now I'd say yes but it's hard to say considering the off-season is unpredictable. The Sky were 17-17 last year and their core is Parker and Vandersloot who are both past their prime. Repeating was a possibility but they never felt like a slam dunk pick.

For the Aces, all of their players are in their prime or reaching their prime. Their starting 5 is quite young and if all are back they'll be heavy favorites to repeat next year. I see New York, Connecticut, Washington and Chicago all as potential title teams next year too. The rest all need more talent influx or a change in coaching.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
The Sky were 17-17 last year and their core is Parker and Vandersloot who are both past their prime. Repeating was a possibility but they never felt like a slam dunk pick.
But they were clearly much better during the regular season in '22 than '21. And there were some younger legs in the rotation like Copper, Meesseman, Stevens, Gardner, Allemand. I don't know that I'm going to attribute it to age, they just couldn't recapture the magic in the playoffs this season.

Reaction Score

In retrospect, MGM was clearly just trying to establish a relationship with the NBA so that they could have the edge on being the official betting partner and that is what happened.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom