WNBA Final Sun vs Mystic, who you got? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

WNBA Final Sun vs Mystic, who you got?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Mystics will take the series in 4 games. EDD with a gutty performance today. I question why EDD receives as much criticism in this forum as she does. It is apparent that she plays through pain and discomfort frequently.

I understand why some UConn fans may be reluctant to forgive her for her college years, but didn't UConn fare very well without her during that period?

It seems like every time I see Elena play, she shows me something I haven't seen from her before. (I'm talking on TV; I've only seen her play in person once, and it was truly a thing of beauty. ) I'm rooting for the Sun, but honestly I like most of the players on the Mystics, too.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Massive statement by the Mystics. I think JJ and Williams are x factors for the Sun next game. As much as people have ripped on Candace Parker for inconsistent effort, these two didnt bring it today and the Sun need them to have a shot.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Massive statement by the Mystics. I think JJ and Williams are x factors for the Sun next game. As much as people have ripped on Candace Parker for inconsistent effort, these two didnt bring it today and the Sun need them to have a shot.
I like how you tried to work in the Candace angle.

There's a huge difference between having a bad game and showing lack of effort.

Reaction Score
EDD gets injured every finals series she’s in. 2014(sky), last year, and this year

Reaction Score
The Mystics bench was the difference last night. Meesemann, Hawkins, Powers and SWK all played very well yesterday. Cloud was really good yesterday as we;l and Toliver was her usual All Star self. JJ and Caroline Ducharme should have monster games in game 4.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Mystics bench was the difference last night.
Maybe. I think it was the great 1st quarter shooting. Gave everyone confidence as well as giving the team a big lead.

Reaction Score
What's to say? The better team won. Silly post from you.
[/QUOTE
What's to say? The better team won. Silly post from you.
EDD scored 13 with 6 rebounds, all with a herniated disc in her back, mask over her previously broken nose, and with a brace on her leg. And you call her a phony. And my post is silly? I think there are still some people on this board who can't accept that she has become one of the very best players in the world without having played for Geno.

Reaction Score
2 major points:
1. I joked in another thread that EDD was trying to be Willis Reed in the 1970 NBA Finals vs LA Lakers and she came through and gave her team the extra energy to play a passionate game!
2. Here is the perfect example of the Mystics having "BEEN THERE BEFORE" in last years Final and the Sun Being young and clueless!
It never ceases to amazing me how sport teams can play at their highest level one game then play as lousy as the Sun did yesterday! The game was over when EDD walked to center court for the tip and at the 5 miute mark of the 1st period! Later CT runs weren't going to be enough!

ps- - -I guess the theory posted above that EDD "tapped out" in game 2 is garbage! EDD walked the walk and talked the talk yesterday! CP3 in LA would have been on the trainer's table for 5 hours as her team went out to play the game!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
2 major points:
1. I joked in another thread that EDD was trying to be Willis Reed in the 1970 NBA Finals vs LA Lakers and she came through and gave her team the extra energy to play a passionate game!
2. Here is the perfect example of the Mystics having "BEEN THERE BEFORE" in last years Final and the Sun Being young and clueless!
It never ceases to amazing me how sport teams can play at their highest level one game then play as lousy as the Sun did yesterday! The game was over when EDD walked to center court for the tip and at the 5 miute mark of the 1st period! Later CT runs weren't going to be enough!

ps- - -I guess the theory posted above that EDD "tapped out" in game 2 is garbage! EDD walked the walk and talked the talk yesterday! CP3 in LA would have been on the trainer's table for 5 hours as her team went out to play the game!

I think the narrative that CT 'stunk' is too simplistic. After falling behind by 15 early on 3 point shooting that normally only occurs in video games, the Sun cut the lead to 2 (4 at half). When a team shoots so well from 3 pt line and all 5 players are deep threats (except for Saunders although she is money from 15 ft) as well as talented drivers, it distorts your normal defense

I give the Mystics full credit. They are the better team structurally imho (no shame in that) and if they play their A (or even their B+game), they will not even need to go back to DC.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Don't count the Sun out just yet. Williams and Jones were no shows. Think that happens in game 4? Also when you shoot 16-27 from deep, it's gonna be hard to make it even close. Sun only lost by 13. Shoot a normal 12-27 from beyond the arc and it's a 1-point game...

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
It seems really strange to me to be harping on EDD's injury history...when she's still appearing in games...given that there were a handful of UConn players that missed all or most of this last season. This is the 2nd season Bird has missed in its entirety. Taurasi has missed the majority of 2 seasons and elected to sit out another year. Is it somehow different when UConn players are injured than when players from other schools are injured?

Oh yeah, then there's Moriah Jefferson. Now that's a player who can't seem to get or stay healthy. Has appeared in 37 games over 3 years since her rookie season.

Reaction Score
I think the narrative that CT 'stunk' is too simplistic. After falling behind by 15 early on 3 point shooting that normally only occurs in video games, the Sun cut the lead to 2 (4 at half). When a team shoots so well from 3 pt line and all 5 players are deep threats (except for Saunders although she is money from 15 ft) as well as talented drivers, it distorts your normal defense

I give the Mystics full credit. They are the better team structurally imho (no shame in that) and if they play their A (or even their B+game), they will not even need to go back to DC.

the only way they don't go back to DC is if they lose.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
It seems really strange to me to be harping on EDD's injury history...when she's still appearing in games...given that there were a handful of UConn players that missed all or most of this last season. This is the 2nd season Bird has missed in its entirety. Taurasi has missed the majority of 2 seasons and elected to sit out another year. Is it somehow different when UConn players are injured than when players from other schools are injured?

Oh yeah, then there's Moriah Jefferson. Now that's a player who can't seem to get or stay healthy. Has appeared in 37 games over 3 years since her rookie season.

Bird/Taurasi have played in the league for 15+ years.

EDD's injuries have been unique without tangible timelines compared to your standard ACL/broken bone type. Lymes disease, bone bruise, back spasms, a thumb injury, etc. She's been the only one as far as I can tell to have these injuries. Most of these injuries can be quite minor or quite significant depending on the severity of it. Reading between the lines, I think a lot of fans interpret this and other factors as not showing that she has that drive to win/be on the court at all costs.

To add to this, she also has never played year round as a pro, quit basketball altogether for a year in college before playing a program that was far beneath her abilities and forced a trade in the pros citing she lost passion playing basketball on the Sky. Combining her history of up and down passion for the sport along with several injuries that all have unknown severities, people question the severity of of them, fair or not. I understand the argument, but based on how she played yesterday I don't doubt the spasms are quite real and painful. My guess is that EDD is more injury prone than your average player and for whatever reason, probably just bad luck, they happen at really inopportune times.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In my new found love for all things Meesseman, I found this fantastic article
on Emma from a tactical perspective and how she helped dismantle Las Vegas and more importantly, Lambeer and Cambage

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I like the Mystics tomorrow night (thanks waquiot). Head coach Mike Thibault finally gets his first chip. :cool:

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Bird/Taurasi have played in the league for 15+ years.

Yes, of course the longer you play the greater the chance of injures. Taurasi played 8 games in 2012, her 9th season in the league. EDD has now been in the league 7 years, only significant time she's missed was in her 2nd season when she played in 16 games. She's never played all 34 games in a season, but only once has missed a large portion of the season.

and forced a trade in the pros citing she lost passion playing basketball on the Sky.

W/ Tina Charles, Big Syl and Chiney all doing something similar, that seems like a non-issue to me.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
EDD scored 13 with 6 rebounds, all with a herniated disc in her back, mask over her previously broken nose, and with a brace on her leg. And you call her a phony. And my post is silly?
I think it's silly to call out a fan for not posting right away after his team just got beat. She clomped around OK for a little bit but her team didn't miss any shots early and scored 29 1Q points without her.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I like the Mystics tonight. Head coach Mike Thibault finally gets his first chip. :cool:
I am 100% sure you get this wrong, applesauce-breath.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom