WNBA Final Sun vs Mystic, who you got? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

WNBA Final Sun vs Mystic, who you got?

Reaction Score
The Sun's very own Tony C!
I wish I could be that confident. I literally have butterflies right now over game 3 and it'll only get worse as the week goes on.

View attachment 46862 *SIGH*
I have to admit I am, yes, confident. I've been watching both teams, the Sun more but both teams, and while the Mystics are greater on offense, the D for the Sun has improved all season and they own the boards. Really, when it comes down to it in series, it's the team the gets the rebounds and plays defense consistently that generally wins. And they are younger and healthier, which also plays well in a series.

Don't get me wrong, though, I do get nervous. This last game, on the other hand, I felt good from early in the game. I think they are going to win the championship and I think it's going to be really cool.

Reaction Score
I have great seats for Sunday. Much happier with the series being 1-1. EDD taps out in the big spot? I'm shocked! Not!
Seriously? "Taps out" because she has back spasms, which as others have noted, aren't like a little ankle sprain that's easy to play through. It's horrible luck, if anything, but she helped lead her team to the finals for a second year in a row, so I think she probably deserves a little more respect than some underhanded jab because she got hurt.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Seriously? "Taps out" because she has back spasms, which as others have noted, aren't like a little ankle sprain that's easy to play through. It's horrible luck, if anything, but she helped lead her team to the finals for a second year in a row, so I think she probably deserves a little more respect than some underhanded jab because she got hurt.

Per an article on the ESPN website, an MRI today revealed that EDD has a herniated disc.

Reaction Score
what happened to her, I missed it!
During the game and in real time, it looked like nothing. I believe it was the play where she posted up Thomas and pumped faked her out of the way. Then made minimal contact on a layup attempt and missed it. The next dead ball occurred on the Mystics end, and she went to the locker room and never came back out. It seemed like nothing. Obviously now we know it's more serious.

If she's out, I will not watch the rest of the Finals. It sucks for EDD. It seems she is made of glass. She has been plagued by injuries every Finals.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
During the game and in real time, it looked like nothing. I believe it was the play where she posted up Thomas and pumped faked her out of the way. Then made minimal contact on a layup attempt and missed it. The next dead ball occurred on the Mystics end, and she went to the locker room and never came back out. It seemed like nothing. Obviously now we know it's more serious.

If she's out, I will not watch the rest of the Finals. It sucks for EDD. It seems she is made of glass. She has been plagued by injuries every Finals.
thanks

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm not a fan and I think she has a lot of phony to her. And she's a professional athlete so it's OK to jab her, especially since I root for the other team. Nothing wrong with that.

Reaction Score
Mystics in 3. It’s their year. :cool:

I'll be back when the series is finished to either eat crow if I'm wrong, or take my "victory" lap. :cool:

Post edit: I'm back. I was wrong. The Mystics won’t sweep, but they’re not out of it yet. Playing the next two games in Connecticut makes winning the chip a little tougher, especially if EDD is not able to play. I've eaten my bowl of crow. I can still come out of this smelling like a rose if Washington can take care of business.

May I offer this wine selection with that Crow.

1570107580538.png

Carnac

Reaction Score
Mystics, my local team. Probably in 4 games.

I started to predict a Mystics victory in 4 games, anyone could have done that. I wanted to step out a little further on that limb, and add a little spice to it. :( If EDD doesn’t get hurt, that was not a bridge too far.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Wow. No one interested? Anyway, Conn with a fierce comeback after being down by 15 to make a game of it at half time 43-39. Washington. Geno and Robin Roberts at half time.

First and second team WNBA teams announced. Nuts that UConn is not represented.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
everybody saw the Sun getting stomped so there’s nothing to talk about

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
DC started by making everything in sight. One they reverted to the mean the Sun came back.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Nice discussion with Geno and Robin. I did not know Geno was doing announcing duties for the birth of the WNBA. Pretty cool.

and not to be overshadowed, it is Rebecca's birthday.

Not as interesting as the Sparks of course but :oops::oops::oops:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well, Washington has extended the lead after 3Q 68-57. No continuity on offense by the Sun. JJ taking to many 3's and AT not hitting shots she normally makes.
and EDD is a perfect 3-3 and is such a calming influence. Like I have said earlier, I am glad she has fought through her injury so her legacy is not tainted.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Wow, Meeseman just hit 2 dagger 3's . So wide open. How does that happen? Washington 15-23 from 3pt land. That is just too easy.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
EDD looks barely 50% physically, but she's hit a few 3s and given her team confidence.

Meesseman has gone into killer mode and has hit 3 consecutive treys to put Mystics up by 17.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
and Tolliver has made some incredible contested 3pt shots too. Nothing you can do when they are shooting like that I guess.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I am amazed they are keeping EDD on the floor up 18 with 6 minutes left. :confused::confused:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I really questioned the decision to play EDD when she's clearly nowhere near full health — I thought it might be wiser to let her rest up for Games 4 and 5 — but the gamble paid off.

Any team that shoots 16-27 from 3 is very unlikely to lose.

Toliver was just spectacular today: 20 points on 7-9 FG (including a perfect 4-4 from 3) plus 10 assists.
Natasha Cloud was also very good, finished 5-10 from 3.

Powers was a major shot of energy and effort off the bench, finished with 8 rebounds. She, Toliver and Cloud really help the Mystics match the swagger and intensity of A. Thomas, C. Williams, et al.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Mystics will take the series in 4 games. EDD with a gutty performance today. I question why EDD receives as much criticism in this forum as she does. It is apparent that she plays through pain and discomfort frequently.

I understand why some UConn fans may be reluctant to forgive her for her college years, but didn't UConn fare very well without her during that period?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Mystics will take the series in 4 games. EDD with a gutty performance today. I question why EDD receives as much criticism in this forum as she does. It is apparent that she plays through pain and discomfort frequently.

I understand why some UConn fans may be reluctant to forgive her for her college years, but didn't UConn fare very well without her during that period?

I never begrudged her decision and I love everything about EDD. She has had alot of adversity in her career and I am happy to see her reaching the very top of the profession.

Maybe more to the point for me, the way the Mystics play is very close to the ideal of UConn style basketball. Shooting 60% of 3 can't be expected but they move the ball better than anyone this year. And I also love everything about Meeseman and her economy of motion. It really is beautiful basketball.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score

I like the Mystics in 4 also because they won today. I predicted after game 2 that whoever won today, would win the series. I had no idea who that would be. Would the Sun pick up in game 3 where they left off Tuesday, or would the Mystics bounce back? I thought if EDD could give it a go, the Mystics had a puncher's chance.

The difference was that Jonquel Jones (32 pts) and Courtney Williams (22 pts) could not match their output of game 2. Jones had 9 pts today and Williams only 6. A combined 54 pts in game 2, versus a combined 15 pts today. Meesseman's 21 off the bench today didn't hurt either. I like the Mystics to close this thing out Tuesday. :)

[Box score]

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom