WNBA -- 2023 Season | Page 15 | The Boneyard

WNBA -- 2023 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I remember when it was a hot take to say Sherryl Reeve was overrated as a hc, funny how different now that she doesn't have 3 hof'ers carrying her.
How many Championships did Van Chancellor win without Cynthia Cooper?

He had 3 Naismith HOF players (Cooper, Sheryl Swoopes and Tina Thompson) and a FIBA HOF player (Janeth Arcain) when he won his 4 WNBA championships.

When Cooper retired he still had the other 3 and never made it back to the WNBA Finals, let alone win another ring.

Reaction Score
The Lynx is a badly constructed team and I do not see much competence in their execution of the 5 out offense.

If you're going to tank, you might as well take your chances with Dorka who has some defense. Sheperd is shorter with little verticality.

Meanwhile the perimeter shooters and defenders can't seem to step up like management advertised. Powers has game but Bonham makes really bad decisions. Collier is Collier but they advertise her as the be all, do all. That's expecting too mich.

I watched their first couple of games but now I just hunt for Dorka minutes.

Reaction Score
Didn't watch the Lynx-Mercury game, but it looks like McBride's absence didn't help matters either. Not saying that her scoring would have been the difference, but she provides offence that the team needs. Carleton is struggling coming back from Europe and seems to be nursing a back injury. If she can get to the form she had while playing in Spain, that could help. Juhasz deserved more than 7 minutes in this game based on how I read the box score. What would have been the harm?

Watched Vegas vs LA as best I could last night (drifted off a bit in the third :confused:). A game of halves if you ask me. LA came out strong in the first quarter and maintained their lead at half time. Vegas woke up and took the lead in the third and maintained it. Wilson was frustrated in this game, including drawing a technical but still came through with 19 points. Young was amazing shooting 12-18 ending up with 30 points. Considering they were able to keep it somewhat close without Nneke and Azura Stevens, LA looks to be more competitive than I thought they would be this season.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Didn't watch the Lynx-Mercury game, but it looks like McBride's absence didn't help matters either. Not saying that her scoring would have been the difference, but she provides offence that the team needs. Carleton is struggling coming back from Europe and seems to be nursing a back injury. If she can get to the form she had while playing in Spain, that could help. Juhasz deserved more than 7 minutes in this game based on how I read the box score. What would have been the harm?

Watched Vegas vs LA as best I could last night (drifted off a bit in the third :confused:). A game of halves if you ask me. LA came out strong in the first quarter and maintained their lead at half time. Vegas woke up and took the lead in the third and maintained it. Wilson was frustrated in this game, including drawing a technical but still came through with 19 points. Young was amazing shooting 12-18 ending up with 30 points. Considering they were able to keep it somewhat close without Nneke and Azura Stevens, LA looks to be more competitive than I thought they would be this season.
I'll flip the order:

- Vegas vs. LA. Young went off last night with 30, but it was the way she did it that showed her development as a player. She was never reliant on her long-distance shot in college or her early years. Last night, she shot 4-7 from three. BTW, she also had 4 steals, which is an underrated part of her game.

- Minnesota vs. Phoenix. Mercury won the game in first half, shooting 11-17 from 3-pt. land and running off to a 17-lead. DT went nuts, going for 15 in the first half.
Lynx just seem discombobulated, with no two or three players ever having good games at the same time. Collier was off last night and K-Mac wasn't even there. Powers had a good game off the bench, but Banham's performance still raises more questions than answers.

BTW, Lynx did cut it to seven twice, but faltered each time. If they can get all their key players on the court and relatively in sync, I could see some gelling (which isn't saying much at this point.)

And I think Dorka is going to do fine in this league, but it strikes me that it's Milic who took her minutes last night, not Shepard. As for being "vertically challenged," Shep is 6'4" tall but most people are going look small against 6'9" Brittany Griner and Bri Turner, who has the arms of a 6'6" person. Until this game, Shepard was doing her usual steady rebounding (top ten in league last year) and she shot well last night. Minnesota's not tanking three games into the season....

Reaction Score

I also just saw the LV/LA contest last night. As cancontent said, the Sparks were extremely underwomanned (especially in the frontcourt without Nneka and Azurá -- who knows when J Thomas will be ready to fortify the backcourt?), but had some bright spots. The player for whom I was most impressed relative to my expectations, was Lexie Brown. Her shot was so pure in the 1st half that it was barely moving the net and she had a few really nice pick and roll dimes (threaded needle on the bounce and the lob numerous times) and would have had even more but Chiney (who played well) and Dearica (who made some nice passes of her own) missed a few bunnies. She also looked better defensively than I have seen throughout her career. Canada looked great on D, but is still inconsistent on O.

Jackie Young looked so confident and I really like her demeanor (she complains far less often than most all-stars), further fortifying my previous statement of Laney is not close to any of the Vegas starters. I also like the Vegas bench with Clark, Bay (when she returns), and Stokes far better than the Liberty's. The remaining backcourt of Plum and C Gray (do people remember the playoffs last year?) is superior to Sloot (great, but on the decline) & Ionescu (super versatile and exciting, but still too inconsistent). Even though you could make the argument that JJ is slightly better than CP at this stage of their careers, I would prefer Parker's intangibles come play-off time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Great move in the right direction, but still so much more of an audience to tap considering the #s for the NCAA championship game without UCONN or SC. I get that CC, Angel, and Kim moved the needle and pros will never achieve close to college ratings for numerous reasons mentioned many times on BY, but still more opportunities to increase viewership.

Last edited:

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Nice to be so young, and have $$, to travel cross country to watch a WNBA game--Paige and Azzi

Reaction Score
Aces played half the game with their eyes closed and still won against a better-than-expected Sparks squad. Sparks could make some noise this year, have perhaps the most versatile frontcourt lineup in the league with the Ogwumikes/Hamby/Stevens.

Jackie Young looks to have taken another huge step this season after what was a slow start to her career in the league. If she’s near a 20ppg scorer for the Aces she’ll be in the MVP conversation all season long.

Reaction Score
Young went off last night with 30, but it was the way she did it that showed her development as a player. She was never reliant on her long-distance shot in college or her early years. Last night, she shot 4-7 from three. BTW, she also had 4 steals, which is an underrated part of her game.
Jackie Young looks to have taken another huge step this season after what was a slow start to her career in the league. If she’s near a 20ppg scorer for the Aces she’ll be in the MVP conversation all season long.
Jackie is my favorite ND player (lots to choose; I believe 2nd in # of players, between UCONN & SC) in the pros. I think that her college legacy was somewhat overshadowed (by nationwide NCAAW fans; not by Irish faithful nor WNBA execs) by Ogunbowale's FF heroics (understandably so).

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
J Young started off last season really hot and was in the early MVP conversation. She missed some games with a sprained ankle IIRC. She never really got in the same groove after she came back. Wilson and Plum were both averaging around 20 ppg, and then Gray went into god mode after the all star break, so she wasn't needed to score as much as she had been earlier.

Reaction Score
The Lynx is a badly constructed team and I do not see much competence in their execution of the 5 out offense.

If you're going to tank, you might as well take your chances with Dorka who has some defense. Sheperd is shorter with little verticality.

Meanwhile the perimeter shooters and defenders can't seem to step up like management advertised. Powers has game but Bonham makes really bad decisions. Collier is Collier but they advertise her as the be all, do all. That's expecting too mich.

I watched their first couple of games but now I just hunt for Dorka minutes.
Don't see how Dorka has more Defense compared to Shepard. Shepard is the best big Minny has. She is definitely more suited to be a 4 instead of a 5.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Jackie Young is maybe the most boring great player I've ever seen. By "boring" I mean--she barely looks like she ever exerts effort on the floor. She plays as if she's doing drills in a gym. No emotion. No "energy." Just pure efficiency.

It's fascinating.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I also just saw the LV/LA contest last night. As cancontent said, the Sparks were extremely underwomanned (especially in the frontcourt without Nneka and Azurá -- who knows when J Thomas will be ready to fortify the backcourt?), but had some bright spots. The player for whom I was most impressed relative to my expectations, was Lexie Brown. Her shot was so pure in the 1st half that it was barely moving the net and she had a few really nice pick and roll dimes (threaded needle on the bounce and the lob numerous times) and would have had even more but Chiney (who played well) and Dearica (who made some nice passes of her own) missed a few bunnies. She also looked better defensively than I have seen throughout her career. Canada looked great on D, but is still inconsistent on O.

Jackie Young looked so confident and I really like her demeanor (she complains far less often than most all-stars), further fortifying my previous statement of Laney is not close to any of the Vegas starters. I also like the Vegas bench with Clark, Bay (when she returns), and Stokes far better than the Liberty's. The remaining backcourt of Plum and C Gray (do people remember the playoffs last year?) is superior to Sloot (great, but on the decline) & Ionescu (super versatile and exciting, but still too inconsistent). Even though you could make the argument that JJ is slightly better than CP at this stage of their careers, I would prefer Parker's intangibles come play-off time.
It's nice to see Chiney looking healthy and more like the Chiney that entered the league with the Sun (I'm sure she is loving being reunited with Curt Miller). The fact that Hamby is doing what she is doing when she gave birth like...yesterday...is remarkable.

Karlie Samuelson needs a permanent roster spot in this league. Miller played her the most out of the bench...really hoping her contract allows her to stay on.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Jackie Young is maybe the most boring great player I've ever seen. By "boring" I mean--she barely looks like she ever exerts effort on the floor. She plays as if she's doing drills in a gym. No emotion. No "energy." Just pure efficiency.

It's fascinating.
Federer is my favorite tennis player of all time, and Young is up there for me among women's basketball players. And it never occurred to me until now how similar they are - so smooth, almost effortless, sometimes looking almost a little blasé. But such complete games, and such a flowing, graceful style of play.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
It's nice to see Chiney looking healthy and more like the Chiney that entered the league with the Sun (I'm sure she is loving being reunited with Curt Miller). The fact that Hamby is doing what she is doing when she gave birth like...yesterday...is remarkable.

Karlie Samuelson needs a permanent roster spot in this league. Miller played her the most out of the bench...really hoping her contract allows her to stay on.
Sparks finally are a good vibes team after a rotating cast of toxic players from Parker to Cambage to Carter, as well as several questionable coaching hires. I'm really excited and so glad Nneka has a likeable crew after years of being one of the most unappreciated, selfless promoters of women's basketball.

Reaction Score
Sparks finally are a good vibes team after a rotating cast of toxic players from Parker to Cambage to Carter, as well as several questionable coaching hires. I'm really excited and so glad Nneka has a likeable crew after years of being one of the most unappreciated, selfless promoters of women's basketball.
I whole-heartedly agree with latter 4 of your 5 points. Nneka said during camp “this is the first time I’ve really experienced what I believe to be a professional organization.” Miller is a huge upgrade relating to the culture, energy, and Xs & Os.

As effusively as I praised Lexie (and Zia looking good through 2 games), I still think they could use a little improvement at the guard position (lots of decent WNBA players, but none that really stand out; compared not only to the top teams, but teams like the Sky's backcourt). When healthy, the frontcourt rotation of Nneka, Chiney, Azurá, Dearica, and Karlie will be very solid.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog