WNBA -- 2023 Season | Page 14 | The Boneyard

WNBA -- 2023 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So...Plum sneakily went on a scoring binge the last 3+ minutes to make it look like she had a good game, when she largely struggled after the first quarter. Stats don't lie though, right? :rolleyes:
D was outstanding. . . great players impact the game, first 3 quarters she and her mates shut down the Storm.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
It's only one game, but I've been excited to see some players already look refreshed (and maybe injury free for the first time in a while?) in the openers:

Clark in Vegas looked like the Clark of Seattle.
Chiney looks reinvigorated being united with Curt Miller.
Elizabeth Williams was all over the court and looked the best I've seen her in the pros with Chicago.
Kristi Toliver looks like she doesn't age
So great seeing Collier look like Collier.

Also: Boston and Miller are going to be VERY good [was very impressed that Boston seemed to get better as the game went on against a very physical CT team). And Horston and Cooke definitely look like keepers early on.

Reaction Score
It's only one game, but I've been excited to see some players already look refreshed (and maybe injury free for the first time in a while?) in the openers:

Clark in Vegas looked like the Clark of Seattle.
Chiney looks reinvigorated being united with Curt Miller.
Elizabeth Williams was all over the court and looked the best I've seen her in the pros with Chicago.
Kristi Toliver looks like she doesn't age
So great seeing Collier look like Collier.

Also: Boston and Miller are going to be VERY good [was very impressed that Boston seemed to get better as the game went on against a very physical CT team). And Horston and Cooke definitely look like keepers early on.
I'm really excited to see the match-up at Mohegan this afternoon. It'll be intriguing to see if Tip steps up back home to help A Thomas, B Jones, & DB to challenge a deep and talented Mystics team high off an impressive outing vs NY

E Williams really surprised me how active and well she played

Reaction Score
I'm really excited to see the match-up at Mohegan this afternoon. It'll be intriguing to see if Tip steps up back home to help A Thomas, B Jones, & DB to challenge a deep and talented Mystics team high off an impressive outing vs NY

E Williams really surprised me how active and well she played
Double-doubles abound for AT, B Jones, EDD, & Shakira. CT's big 3 (including DB of course) is formidable and those of whom predicted their demise, might have been premature. If Hayes regains her form, they could be in the battle for 2, 3, 4 seed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Indiana does not play defense it appears
They were pacing themselves for their 4th quarter stand of allowing only 5 pts ;):rolleyes: -- kinda helped that Stewie only played 2 ½ minutes. 9 of 10 Liberty combined for only 45 points. The 10th came to play in her home debut.

Reaction Score
There's a lot of selective defense on that team. It's frustrating and I would bench players who weren't willing to play both sides.
Obviously its early but Indiana still has a lot of issues. I'd be highly concerned with some of that guard play. I do like Smith and Boston inside, thats a great duo.

Some players are out there jacking up bad shots and playing no defense. Wallace needs to cut down the turnovers but she at least had some redeeming qualities offensively today.

Would like to see a little more of Berger

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
The Fever made a valiant stand at home against a very good CT team, cutting it to just 3pts with a few min to go. Yesterday not sure any team could have hung with Stewart the way she was shooting.

That being said, VERY impressed with Boston thus far. She seems to have arrived pro-ready. Not that I ever doubted how great she was, but it was hard for her to thrive at SC, especially her senior year, when she was facing triple to quadruple teams. Staley was right on when she said you will really see how skilled Boston is when she can take on posts one-on-one.

Reaction Score
Collectively I don’t find the backcourt impressive at all for the Lynx. A lot of bad decision makers and not a lot of athleticism. It will be interesting if Lou can break into the rotation once she heals up.

There were some bad decision making out there, that is for sure. But I think in time, those backcourt players will adjust and get better.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
There's a lot of selective defense on that team. It's frustrating and I would bench players who weren't willing to play both sides.
Only saw the highlights reel, and she sure shot poorly, but you can't say Lexie Hull (6'1") wasn't bringing it on defense with this massive Stewie (6'5") block...:

Reaction Score
Only saw the highlights reel, and she sure shot poorly, but you can't say Lexie Hull (6'1") wasn't bringing it on defense with this massive Stewie (6'5") block...:

Haven't seen the Fever yet either, but Hull did win the Athletes Unlimited Defensive Player of the Year.

Reaction Score
Big rematch at the ESA (schedule-makers didn't do the Mystics any favors with their 1st 3 games -- at least they're a veteran team with an intact core).

Also, let's see whether the Minnesota backcourt or Aari McDonald (no D Robinson) can improve upon their game 1 performance.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
There was just a great halftime interview with Napheesa. Also some footage of the draftees getting ready for the draft show -- kind of humorous and entertaining.

Pheesa is playing aggressively, looks a lot like her old self. Dorka looks really comfortable. Having her and Jess Shepard out there at the same time, that's two good-rebounding and great-passing bigs. Miller's a great talent; she'll be a good one, is showing some flashes now and should be much steadier by the middle of the season.

But I don't think the Mystics can make much noise without upgrading their point guard. Allen is good, but certainly not in the top half in the W.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
There was just a great halftime interview with Napheesa. Also some footage of the draftees getting ready for the draft show -- kind of humorous and entertaining.

Pheesa is playing aggressively, looks a lot like her old self. Dorka looks really comfortable. Having her and Jess Shepard out there at the same time, that's two good-rebounding and great-passing bigs. Miller's a great talent; she'll be a good one, is showing some flashes now and should be much steadier by the middle of the season.

But I don't think the Mystics can make much noise without upgrading their point guard. Allen is good, but certainly not in the top half in the W.
Did you mean the Lynx rather than the Mystics?

The Mystics were expected by ESPN to be the league's 3rd-best team, but they are now 1-2 after two losses to the Connecticut Sun.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Did you mean the Lynx rather than the Mystics?

The Mystics were expected by ESPN to be the league's 3rd-best team, but they are now 1-2 after two losses to the Connecticut Sun.
Yeah, confused my favotite team with the local team. Cloud is a way better PG than Allen. Mystics shoulda kept Engstler and cut a guard.

Epic collapse by the Lynx tonight.

Reaction Score
I remember when it was a hot take to say Sherryl Reeve was overrated as a hc, funny how different now that she doesn't have 3 hof'ers carrying her.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I remember when it was a hot take to say Sherryl Reeve was overrated as a hc, funny how different now that she doesn't have 3 hof'ers carrying her.
Who coaching in the WNBA isn’t overrated then? You need HOF talent to compete for (and to win) titles. Reeve making 6 finals in 7 years (and winning 4) is unprecedented.

Reaction Score
Minnesota's collapse was somewhat surprising but Atlanta's cold start shooting didn't help. When Atlanta made a better effort getting the ball inside and converting during the second half, the tone of the game changed and it seemed to put the Lynx on their heels.

Powers did a good job coming off the bench. I think that could be a good role for her versus being a starter. Losing Collier to foul trouble sucked, but the fact she's hitting 3s with ease is nice to see. Her battling with Hillmon was fun to watch inside. Juhasz doesn't look out of place at all and I'm happy for her. The Lynx is a good fit for her style of play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom