WNBA -- 2023 Season | Page 55 | The Boneyard

WNBA -- 2023 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Aces have gotten 2...count em 2...points off the bench the last 2 games combined. That does not cut it, no matter how good your starters are. Clark had to start one of those games, and she did score some that game. How long can Williams milk this sore back thing? The season is half over. She needs to get on the court and help provide a bit more scoring punch from the reserves.
The last two games you might be right, but for most of the season their first two off the bench Clark and Stokes have been excellent in their roles. The starters are all scorers, so defensive stars on the bench go well with whoever else is in the game. Beyond those two if they can get Williams back they can field a great 8 player rotation, with 5 starters as good as anybody, and at least compared to off the bench a very good big (Stokes), wing (Clark) and guard (Williams).

If all those players are healthy, that is probably about as far as Becky goes in the rotation in big games, without a weak link for their role among them. Williams of course could fill the offensive spark off the bench, and Bell has improved enough that she might be a pretty decent 9th player when Williams returns and doesn't really hurt them much if any as their 8th player now.

I think most opposing coaches might not consider the Aces bench super deep, but because of how good the first two are (three with Williams) I think they would consider the Aces bench an asset, not a liability.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
EDD will miss two weeks with a sprain ankle. Will not play in the All Star game.

So, with EDD (probably) out of the All-Star Game, who should/will be named to take her place?

My nomination is Rhyne Howard. The initial reservation was that the Dream wasn't have as much success as a team to merit three All-Stars. Perhaps the two recent road wins over Chicago will change that. Howard's recent performances have been bravura, to say the least.

Anyone else?

Reaction Score
So, with EDD (probably) out of the All-Star Game, who should/will be named to take her place?

My nomination is Rhyne Howard. The initial reservation was that the Dream wasn't have as much success as a team to merit three All-Stars. Perhaps the two recent road wins over Chicago will change that. Howard's recent performances have been bravura, to say the least.

Anyone else?
Side note on Rhyne Howard. I am surprised at how well she made the transition from college to the pros. I had her marked down as a bust because her body language in college was always so negative. At Kentucky she acted like she didn't care about the sport and didn't want to be on the court. In retrospect, I think that was a criticism of Coach Elzy or maybe she wasn't challenged at the collegiate level. Who knows...but she looks renewed, full of energy, and loving life in the W.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Side note on Rhyne Howard. I am surprised at how well she made the transition from college to the pros. I had her marked down as a bust because her body language in college was always so negative. At Kentucky she acted like she didn't care about the sport and didn't want to be on the court. In retrospect, I think that was a criticism of Coach Elzy or maybe she wasn't challenged at the collegiate level. Who knows...but she looks renewed, full of energy, and loving life in the W.
Agreed. She's been brilliant over the last 4-5 games for Atlanta (they've won 5 straight) and deserves a nod.

Reaction Score

Anyone else?
Wouldn't a post player need to fill the spot?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Wouldn't a post player need to fill the spot?
Do you mean from a practical standpoint (although I'd term EDD a forward) or a procedural one?

In either case, WNBA Commissioner Cathy Engelbert went with guard Rhyne Howard to replace her.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score

From an OC Register article. I will post a link but it may be behind a pay wall.

Sparks guard Lexie Brown (non-COVID illness) and guard Layshia Clarendon (foot) practiced for the first time in several weeks but are not expected to return to action until after this weekend’s All-Star break. Sparks forward Karlie Samuelson (foot) also returned to practice after spraining her foot last Wednesday and missing Sunday’s loss at Phoenix. Samuelson is expected to be active against Las Vegas on Wednesday.

Brown, Clarendon and Samuelson all looked spry, practicing in various on-court drills.

Reaction Score
Up 18 at the half on the worst team in the league, I’m going to assume Aces close this one out and finish the first half of the season 18-2. Probably not going to repeat that record after the break with like six games between the Liberty and Mystics, but even if they go 16-4 they’ll finish with a 0.85 record which will put them in the discussion for best WNBA team ever.

To me the most intriguing question across the league is whether the Liberty can improve enough to challenge them. I don’t think anyone else can beat the Aces in a series (I’m not sure NY can either, but they’ve got the best shot).

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Vegas now leads by 30. Though she isn't playing tonight, Candace Parker is the 5th scoring option on that team. Think about that for a minute!

Though it took them a little while to adjust to the league, both Jackie Young and Kelsey Plum are legit stars and deserving of being on Team USA.

Jackie's scoring and shooting by season:

7, 11, 12, 16, 19 ppg

32, 49, 51, 48, 57%

Same for Kelsey:

9, 10, 9, 15, 20, 19 ppg

35, 47, 37, 44, 46, 50%

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Vegas now leads by 30. Though she isn't playing tonight, Candace Parker is the 5th scoring option on that team. Think about that for a minute!

Though it took them a little while to adjust to the league, both Jackie Young and Kelsey Plum are legit stars and deserving of being on Team USA.

7, 11, 12, 16, 19 ppg

32, 49, 51, 48, 57%

Same for Kelsey:

9, 10, 9, 15, 20, 19 ppg

35, 47,

7, 11, 12, 16, 19 ppg

32, 49, 51, 48, 57%

Same for Kelsey:

9, 10, 9, 15, 20, 19 ppg

35, 47, 37, 44, 46, 50%
Both really took off after Hammon arrived. Coincidence...or was Laimbeer hindering the development of both?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Aces took turns tonight. Wilson and Plum carried them in Q1. Young took over Q2. Gray asserted herself at some point in the second half, probably spanned parts of Q3 and Q4.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Both really took off after Hammon arrived. Coincidence...or was Laimbeer hindering the development of both?

Or perhaps they just needed more experience and maturity to "take off" as you say.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Bill was a Big and a Big's Coach. Becky was a Guard and a Guard's Coach. I think Becky developed the guards better and gave them a scheme to better succeed in. I also think timing may have been a factor--several players, including Plum and Young, take 2-3 years to get acclimated to the W.

Reaction Score
Bill was a Big and a Big's Coach. Becky was a Guard and a Guard's Coach. I think Becky developed the guards better and gave them a scheme to better succeed in. I also think timing may have been a factor--several players, including Plum and Young, take 2-3 years to get acclimated to the W.

I also think in Plum"s case her time with the Olympic 3x3 had great impact. Didn't she earn Most Improved during the 2022 WNBA season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom