WNBA -- 2023 Season | Page 57 | The Boneyard

WNBA -- 2023 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
People who pay attention to me (I'm not saying there are any, nor is there any reason to) know I think the world of Grace and Aliyah. But about Grace:

I watched the game against the Liberty last night (a day late). Berger played 35 minutes, and I thought very well. Her ±line was +1 in an 8 point (overtime) loss. It's seemed to me that the Fever generally play better with her in the lineup even when her stats don't look great. I looked it up and she's the only (that I found) Fever player with a positive +/- line for the season. Sure, maybe she's mostly playing against second-stringers (not true the other night), but over 15 games I think it's indicative that the Fever really do play better with Berger in the lineup.

And, man alive, she puts fannies in the seats! Drafting Berger and Boston was one good decision the Fever have made in the last year. The Egbo-for Zahui-B trade isn't looking so good right now.
I think universally most people that have followed the Fever believes that Grace deserve more playing time. She has her moments of being a rookie but she has shown great upside when given a chance. Her and Boston have a great chemistry on the floor and they seem to be some of the most levelheaded players while on the court.

Catering to egos and not addressing the problem will continue to haunt this franchise. Coach Sides will need to take reign of this team or she'll be likely out next season.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I think universally most people that have followed the Fever believes that Grace deserve more playing time. She has her moments of being a rookie but she has shown great upside when given a chance. Her and Boston have a great chemistry on the floor and they seem to be some of the most levelheaded players while on the court.

Catering to egos and not addressing the problem will continue to haunt this franchise. Coach Sides will need to take reign of this team or she'll be likely out next season.
Unless she totally loses the team -- and I don't think she's anywhere near that -- I don't think Sides is in any danger whatsoever of losing her job. The near-universal sentiment I've seen on this thread this season is the Fever needs to not lose games at the end of the 4th quarter. Lot of 1st and 2nd year players with some vets and....and a firs- year head coach. Should she be merely judged on the end-of-game scenario? No. They're in the games, too, and playing hard and well, at times.

I think some decisions by Dunn and Sides on what vets to keep (or not) need to be made off-season. I'm still scratching my head on the Egbo deal, but let's see what happens.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
People who pay attention to me (I'm not saying there are any, nor is there any reason to) know I think the world of Grace and Aliyah. But about Grace:

I watched the game against the Liberty last night (a day late). Berger played 35 minutes, and I thought very well. Her ±line was +1 in an 8 point (overtime) loss. It's seemed to me that the Fever generally play better with her in the lineup even when her stats don't look great. I looked it up and she's the only (that I found) Fever player with a positive +/- line for the season. Sure, maybe she's mostly playing against second-stringers (not true the other night), but over 15 games I think it's indicative that the Fever really do play better with Berger in the lineup.

And, man alive, she puts fannies in the seats! Drafting Berger and Boston was one good decision the Fever have made in the last year. The Egbo-for Zahui-B trade isn't looking so good right now.
I’m with you on all accounts. Berger is the only guard who can get the ball to the post players.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I’m with you on all accounts. Berger is the only guard who can get the ball to the post players.
Can anyone who's been watching Fever games this season share their thoughts on Lexie Hull's development and play? Her shooting stats seem much better than last season and her steals rate is quite high, but the highlights I've seen are mostly her steals and occasional 3 pointers when a post passes inside out to her at the wing.

She was rarely a selfish player when in a Cardinal uniform and her shooting attempts per game aren't very high, so I'm wondering whether she's one of the "selfish" guards folks have in mind in criticizing the Fever's play. Thanks!

Dillon77

Reaction Score
You know, this is the kind of situation where the stat sheet can tell a fib.
Erica Wheeler does average 5.1 assists per game, which is 10th in the league, but her efficiency rating is 2nd lowest among those 10 guards. But what doesn't shine through are when those assists are made. I've watched a few of these 4th quarter bomb-outs/snoozes and strange things happen. Instead of getting rid of the ball at the FT line or just inside, Wheeler will dribble into too far and get doubled, which cuts down on the efficacy or the next pass and shot.

Add to that, that's when Kelsey Mtichell and/or N'Lyssa Smith start hero-balling it. Guess who does not see the ball when that happens? Yup, Alyssa Boston.

@TheFarmFan , this is not an issue of Lexie hoisting it up. If anything, she and Wallace are usually in a corner getting one of those too little, too late passes from Wheeler or Mtichell.

I know Sides wanted to bring some of her Atlanta trusties with her, but Hull is starting to show she's got more upside than Wallace and Berger has that chill factor, in that she doesn't get flustered. And, she won't dribble into trouble.

Reaction Score
Can anyone who's been watching Fever games this season share their thoughts on Lexie Hull's development and play? Her shooting stats seem much better than last season and her steals rate is quite high, but the highlights I've seen are mostly her steals and occasional 3 pointers when a post passes inside out to her at the wing.

She was rarely a selfish player when in a Cardinal uniform and her shooting attempts per game aren't very high, so I'm wondering whether she's one of the "selfish" guards folks have in mind in criticizing the Fever's play. Thanks!

From the games I've watched, I don't consider her play as "selfish". I'm happy she's getting more comfortable at the WNBA level. Enjoyed watching her play at Stanford.

Reaction Score
You know, this is the kind of situation where the stat sheet can tell a fib.
Erica Wheeler does average 5.1 assists per game, which is 10th in the league, but her efficiency rating is 2nd lowest among those 10 guards. But what doesn't shine through are when those assists are made. I've watched a few of these 4th quarter bomb-outs/snoozes and strange things happen. Instead of getting rid of the ball at the FT line or just inside, Wheeler will dribble into too far and get doubled, which cuts down on the efficacy or the next pass and shot.

Add to that, that's when Kelsey Mtichell and/or N'Lyssa Smith start hero-balling it. Guess who does not see the ball when that happens? Yup, Alyssa Boston.

@TheFarmFan , this is not an issue of Lexie hoisting it up. If anything, she and Wallace are usually in a corner getting one of those too little, too late passes from Wheeler or Mtichell.

I know Sides wanted to bring some of her Atlanta trusties with her, but Hull is starting to show she's got more upside than Wallace and Berger has that chill factor, in that she doesn't get flustered. And, she won't dribble into trouble.
Wheeler is a little bit of a head scratcher. Like you're saying, she tends to be good when the pressure is low and bad when the stakes are high -- which is bad when it's a close game in the final minute.

Hull is the energy player on the team and probably their best defender at guard. She is opportunistic on offense. She'll take a shot if she is open or if there is a lane. Unless there's 3 sec on the clock, she isn't one to try and play "hero" ball.

Wallace has been disappearing lately and I don't know why. She has looked really good in a few games but has struggled as of late. I think she is just going through a funk right now.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The All-Star Game 3-point contest was historic. Sabrina, Sami, and Arike made the finals. Then Sabrina went Total Curry and broke the WNBA and NBA records. She made 25 of 27 shots, including 2 shots from deeper, for 37 points. At one point, she made 20 in a row. All the players were at the edge of their seats or standing to watch history. Watch the replay--it's amazing!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Unless she totally loses the team -- and I don't think she's anywhere near that -- I don't think Sides is in any danger whatsoever of losing her job. The near-universal sentiment I've seen on this thread this season is the Fever needs to not lose games at the end of the 4th quarter. Lot of 1st and 2nd year players with some vets and....and a firs- year head coach. Should she be merely judged on the end-of-game scenario? No. They're in the games, too, and playing hard and well, at times.

I think some decisions by Dunn and Sides on what vets to keep (or not) need to be made off-season. I'm still scratching my head on the Egbo deal, but let's see what happens.
I don't know, I just feel like too many people appear to not want be there. That plus Sides seems to imply in her post game pressers that the players often does something different than what she plans. It's just seems like some of the players might not respect her and see that seems problematic. Maybe they will trade those players first, but i wouldn't be surprised given how trigger happy Dunn has been, if she's gone if things don't improve.

Reaction Score

I think Lexie has been great, she still has some ways to go offensively but she looks way more confident and comfortable than last season. Her defense has picked up quite a bit and she been hustling and doing all the dirty work. Going into the season, I feared she might not stay in the league but she's been proving her worth defending some of best players every night and being a nuisance for her matchups.

Reaction Score
The All-Star Game 3-point contest was historic. Sabrina, Sami, and Arike made the finals. Then Sabrina went Total Curry and broke the WNBA and NBA records. She made 25 of 27 shots, including 2 shots from deeper, for 37 points. At one point, she made 20 in a row. All the players were at the edge of their seats or standing to watch history. Watch the replay--it's amazing!
I was on Twitter the other day when they announced the 3-point contestants. I picked Sabrina. That's my player!! I wonder if she pulled the classic Larry Bird line "Which one of you jokers are coming in 2nd place today? Way to go, Sabrina!!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That was Yowza. Actually, YOWZA!!!
I've never seen anything like that. Way to go Sabrina.

In a 3-point contest, at least at the pro level, NO ONE has ever seen anything like that, because it hadn't happened before. It almost doesn't look real, but I saw it live, so I know it's real.

Even Azzi would be impressed. It looked like one of her practice videos.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I don't know, I just feel like too many people appear to not want be there. That plus Sides seems to imply in her post game pressers that the players often does something different than what she plans. It's just seems like some of the players might not respect her and see that seems problematic. Maybe they will trade those players first, but i wouldn't be surprised given how trigger happy Dunn has been, if she's gone if things don't improve.
Point (s) taken, but:
  • Dunn got Wheeler and Wallace for Sides once Sides was hired. Pretty sure Wheeler is on a multi-year deal. Engstler was probably cut due to Wallace's presence.
  • And now the million-dollar question, which players - to you -- appear to not want to be there? If they're "old timers," such as Mitchell, see if you can trade them. If they're youngsters, well, maybe your scenario takes hold.

I still think Sides gets two seasons...;)

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Wheeler is a little bit of a head scratcher. Like you're saying, she tends to be good when the pressure is low and bad when the stakes are high -- which is bad when it's a close game in the final minute.

Hull is the energy player on the team and probably their best defender at guard. She is opportunistic on offense. She'll take a shot if she is open or if there is a lane. Unless there's 3 sec on the clock, she isn't one to try and play "hero" ball.

Wallace has been disappearing lately and I don't know why. She has looked really good in a few games but has struggled as of late. I think she is just going through a funk right now.
I’m a huge fan of Hull. A couple of years or so an announcer said something like, If there are players on the floor, you can bet Lexie is on the bottom of the pile. She just doesn’t give up, and I think she’s a glue player.

I’ve alwas liked Wallace, and was really glad to see her finally healthy. But I agree, she‘s appeared a bit flat lately.

Reaction Score
I like Coach Sides and what she is trying to do in Indiana. They (front office) will have to clean house. Hopefully the front office keeps Coach Sides around a few more years. She is going to build something incredible in Indiana.

Reaction Score

If the Fever front office is smart they’ll make Hull a core piece of their future plans. Great defender, endless energy, and unselfish. The problem for the Fever is Mitchell and Smith both want to be the hero and neither is particularly efficient at doing so.

Reaction Score
If the Fever front office is smart they’ll make Hull a core piece of their future plans. Great defender, endless energy, and unselfish. The problem for the Fever is Mitchell and Smith both want to be the hero and neither is particularly efficient at doing so.
I get the impression that Mitchell is hungry to win. I honestly think she just built some bad habits when the team was horrific. She had to be the hero because no one else was stepping up. It takes time to break habits and build trust and I think she is slowly coming around.

Reaction Score
I get the impression that Mitchell is hungry to win. I honestly think she just built some bad habits when the team was horrific. She had to be the hero because no one else was stepping up. It takes time to break habits and build trust and I think she is slowly coming around.
You are so positive. I'm not certain if her bad habits are intrinsically ingrained but really starting as a Buckeye she's always had them and they've really developed to a point where one wonders how you incorporate that approach.

Reaction Score

Great point, re habits.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Thanks for all the feedback on Hull - really encouraging to hear that folks who have watched her play this season see a future for her in the league. She (as well as Lacie) was the epitome of a gritty glue player at Stanford, and one of my all-time favorite Stanford players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom