WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2 | Page 11 | The Boneyard

WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Another absolutely pathetic showing by the Aces against the Liberty, this time for the Commissioners Cup. Something ain't right in Vegas. I keep saying it, but they need Parker back. I see no chance of them repeating as Champions if she doesn't return for the playoffs. Just not enough, 4 really good players and almost nothing else. And when most of their good players are off like tonight, nobody is gonna pick up the slack. I mean they really gotta be worried that they got clobbered by NY even with Stewie having an awful game.

Isn’t this the same team that won last year without Parker??

Reaction Score
Isn’t this the same team that won last year without Parker??
Yes, but the team had Hamby last season. Not to mention, they didn't have to face a team that has the depth like the Liberty has this season.

The Liberty seem to have finally figured out a few things, but like some have said, their defence can be spotty at times. Defence is also an area where Vegas is starting to struggle in which Coach Hammon noted yesterday. Having a game tomorrow is kind of cool because you can see if they can make adjustments in a short timeframe.

Reaction Score
I wasn't able to catch the first half and based on the second, I got the impression from the announcers that Ionescu was lights out from the 3 point line for most of the game. Just looked at the stats and saw she was 3-8..........:eek:

Ugh, I really dislike it when announcers do that.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I wasn't able to catch the first half and based on the second, I got the impression from the announcers that Ionescu was lights out from the 3 point line for most of the game. Just looked at the stats and saw she was 3-8..........:eek:

She hit two back-to-back which is what got everyone excited...plus she's Sabrina. Marine Johannes (5 of 7 from three and 6-8 overall) was the Liberty guard ringing the bell strongly and accurately all game. When she's on, the Liberty get that much harder to defend.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Another absolutely pathetic showing by the Aces against the Liberty, this time for the Commissioners Cup. Something ain't right in Vegas. I keep saying it, but they need Parker back. I see no chance of them repeating as Champions if she doesn't return for the playoffs. Just not enough, 4 really good players and almost nothing else. And when most of their good players are off like tonight, nobody is gonna pick up the slack. I mean they really gotta be worried that they got clobbered by NY even with Stewie having an awful game.
"Isn’t this the same team that won last year without Parker??" -- @Geew1992

Some reactions to both of these comments:

- Offensively, Las Vegas does seem to playing with a short deck, particularly with Parker out. Not that Candace is a top option with these Aces, but she can be counted on to score. Stokes brings a lot defensively, rebounding-wise, etc, but scoring is not a priority.
This is where not having Hamby around hurts.

- The lack of depth for the Aces in this regard was always something to consider, but Young, Grey, Wilson and Plum are so good, the bright lights sometimes don't let you dwell on the shadows.

- Credit to the Liberty for getting the pieces to fit more smoothly. Jonquel Jones playing like JJ sure helps. She can make A'ja Wilson work and throw her game off. Plus, she can drag Wilson out to the three-pt. line which opens things up underneath or for drives to the hoop. As noted, Johannes adds the depth when the Liberty starters are off. When they're all on (Stewie, Ionescu, Laney, Johannes), forget it.

- Will be interested to see the rematch.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Yeah, that first half, especially that first quarter, shots were not falling for either team. Missing bunnies left and right. Mid-range shots were off. It was rough. But Sabrina, being Sabrina knocked down two huge three pointers, one from deep. It was a fun game. Like one of the commentators said, the game really came down to which team was going to get hot shooting. New York, especially Johannes, got hot with their shooting and then Vegas just could not make a shot. Normal shots that they would make, they were missing. Hats off to New York.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score

I think Ionescu was 0-5 from 3 until the fourth, when she hit 3 straight, 2 of them back to back and the third shortly after. Sort of a "that's all folks" sequence.

To me, the bottom line regarding the two teams is that Vegas is basically as good as it can be, whereas NY hasn't yet reached its ceiling.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think Ionescu was 0-5 from 3 until the fourth, when she hit 3 straight, 2 of them back to back and the third shortly after. Sort of a "that's all folks" sequence.

To me, the bottom line regarding the two teams is that Vegas is basically as good as it can be, whereas NY hasn't yet reached it's ceiling.
I think this is most likely premature, Depending on when or if Candace gets back. Her presence elevates everyone on Vegas' strengths because of her versatility.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Jonquel Jones, pre all star break (18 games):
10.3ppg, 6.1rpg, 53.6% FG, 22.6mpg

Jonquel Jones, post all star break (12 games):
14.9ppg, 11.9rpg, 56.8% FG, 28.7mpg

She's also been a huge defensive presence for the Liberty down low.

Reaction Score
Jonquel Jones, pre all star break (18 games):
10.3ppg, 6.1rpg, 53.6% FG, 22.6mpg

Jonquel Jones, post all star break (12 games):
14.9ppg, 11.9rpg, 56.8% FG, 28.7mpg

She's also been a huge defensive presence for the Liberty down low.

She's healthy.

Reaction Score

To me, the bottom line regarding the two teams is that Vegas is basically as good as it can be, whereas NY hasn't yet reached its ceiling.
I definitely wouldn't say that. Vegas has looked a shell of itself as of late. That Atlanta game wasn't great for them by any means. Chelsea, A'ja and KP don't seem to be on the same page lately and the defensive intensity is lacking.

Vegas is working with less than they had last year. I think people underestimate that the Aces lost two huge pieces to their team. Candace and Riquana were two big pieces for both the starting lineup and the bench. To add insult to injury Vegas is stuck with Riquana salary and roster spot due to the CBA rules on that type of situation. Vegas weak bench is even more weaker due these events and now there is extra pressure for all 4 of their main pieces to be on to succeed.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I'll probably be repeating some of what's already been said, but responding about Aces this year vs. last year. Parker for Hamby swap out would be fine, but Candace has missed almost half of the season now, with no timetable that I've heard for her coming back. I was excited about Clark, but she has been really inconsistent, and she's not the player she was during her time with the Storm. Neither as deadly from 3, nor the elite defender I remember her being. Cayla George is making me miss Teresa Plaisance. George has had 1 good game this season as far as I'm aware. Stokes does make some contributions, but a player who has started almost half the season and averages 20 min/game having a 2.5/game scoring average just is not enough. Bell averages 4.3 in 12 min/game, and she only looks like a WNBA player once every 4 or 5 games or so.

Reaction Score
I'll probably be repeating some of what's already been said, but responding about Aces this year vs. last year. Parker for Hamby swap out would be fine, but Candace has missed almost half of the season now, with no timetable that I've heard for her coming back. I was excited about Clark, but she has been really inconsistent, and she's not the player she was during her time with the Storm. Neither as deadly from 3, nor the elite defender I remember her being. Cayla George is making me miss Teresa Plaisance. George has had 1 good game this season as far as I'm aware. Stokes does make some contributions, but a player who has started almost half the season and averages 20 min/game having a 2.5/game scoring average just is not enough. Bell averages 4.3 in 12 min/game, and she only looks like a WNBA player once every 4 or 5 games or so.
Clark was 0-5 from long range last night, but she has the sixth best three-point percentage in the league (43.2) this season. That's better than six of her nine years in Seattle.

Reaction Score
Imagine if the Aces had say...Kalani Brown and Destani Henderson...in place of most of their bench?

Henderson is in Phoenix at the moment. Also, Vegas is carrying riquana’s salary even though she isn’t with the team

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Clark was 0-5 from long range last night, but she has the sixth best three-point percentage in the league (43.2) this season. That's better than six of her nine years in Seattle.
Yeah, but failing to note she hit 48% and 52% her last 2 seasons w/ the Storm and averaged 9.6 and 10.0 ppg. She definitely isn't THAT player anymore. I didn't watch every Storm game, but at her peak it seemed like she just never missed wide open 3s.

Reaction Score
I think this is most likely premature, Depending on when or if Candace gets back. Her presence elevates everyone on Vegas' strengths because of her versatility.
Is she coming back? I once had a hairline fracture in my foot when I was quite young and the Dr game is the option of letting it heal on its own 4-8 weeks full recovery or surgery to repair with 3-4 month full recovery. I don’t know Candace’s timeline but even the most minor foot surgery would make a return this season as quite difficult, not even factoring getting back into game shape. It’s also telling that she’s only been spotted at a game once to my knowledge and she was behind the bench, not even on it.

But we’ll see, if she can return right as the playoffs start she can make a big difference for Vegas. If I were a Vegas fan I’d be most concerned with burnout to any of the core four of the team at the moment before CP has a chance to return. The have looked tired lately, mentally and physically. They are being asked to carry a much bigger load than any other group of 3-4 players on any team in the league. That can wear on you.

Reaction Score
I don't understand why if she is suspended for domestic abuse, why Las Vegas can't get a player under a hardship contract to replace her.

No idea. I was reading something. I’ll see if I can find it agian

Reaction Score
I don't understand why if she is suspended for domestic abuse, why Las Vegas can't get a player under a hardship contract to replace her.
She's not officially suspended, she's only barred from all team activities, which is all the Aces organization can do. I believe the WNBA front office could intervene and allow an exception but until that is done , nothing can be done without a conviction.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

As soon as I saw this it brought those Michael Jordan-Spike Lee Nike ads to mind. Will the story be the shoes tonight? ;)

Having grown up in a small town, it took me awhile to get in the habit of locking my car. I finally became 98% or so good about it when I had a pair of prescription glasses stolen from my car one night. That's kind of like having shoes with custom orthotics stolen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom