WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2 | Page 12 | The Boneyard

WNBA 2023 Season, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yeah, but failing to note she hit 48% and 52% her last 2 seasons w/ the Storm and averaged 9.6 and 10.0 ppg. She definitely isn't THAT player anymore. I didn't watch every Storm game, but at her peak it seemed like she just never missed wide open 3s.
After tonight's game, I withdraw my objection.

Reaction Score
Nice bounce back win by the Aces. When their Fantastic Four are in that shooing zone, it is a wrap. They (Wilson, Gray, Young, and Plum) just had the touch tonight. Chelsea got a triple double, the first for the Aces franchise. Congrats, Chelsea.

Reaction Score
Great win for the Aces, looked like themselves again for the first time in awhile tonight, and not just against the Liberty.

Still concerned about Aces’ ability to win what seems like a near-guaranteed Finals series without Parker back.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
For as good as each team is offensively, it seems to me that the team that's most locked in defensively is the one that will come out on top.

Interestingly, Jonquel is only Liberty player with positive +/- (+7); and she was severely limited in first half to foul trouble. Her being involved in the game seems like the key to the Liberty's success, especially defensively. Jones/Stewart just 6/20 combined last night--great defense by the Aces.

Reaction Score
For as good as each team is offensively, it seems to me that the team that's most locked in defensively is the one that will come out on top.

Interestingly, Jonquel is only Liberty player with positive +/- (+7); and she was severely limited in first half to foul trouble. Her being involved in the game seems like the key to the Liberty's success, especially defensively. Jones/Stewart just 6/20 combined last night--great defense by the Aces.
Aces defense was dialed in. Very impressed with Clark ... she did a great job on Stewie.

Reaction Score

JJ is the game changer with the absence of Candace. When she's confident I don't think the Aces have the players to deal with her and everybody else.

Also what's up with Stewie? I don't think she's really played that well against Vegas this season. It appeared that she was shooting for a call rather than taking good shots.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
JJ is the game changer with the absence of Candace. When she's confident I don't the Aces have the players to deal with her and everybody else.

Also what's up with Stewie? I don't think she's really played that well against Vegas this season. It appeared that she was shooting for a call rather than taking good shots.

Re Stewart - so I'm not the only one who was thinking that last night. Thought I was trying to read more into it than necessary.

Reaction Score

Interestingly, Jonquel is only Liberty player with positive +/- (+7); and she was severely limited in first half to foul trouble. Her being involved in the game seems like the key to the Liberty's success, specially defensively. Jones/Stewart just 6/20 combined last night--great defense by the Aces.
I think it was at the half, Stewie was like 1/9. I think Laney was the leading scorer at the half for New York. Just a rough shooting night for New York. Normal shots that they take, they were missing. I was shocked that Johannes only played 13-14 minutes and she was 2/4 shooting. Could she have given them more options on the floor? We will never know.

Reaction Score
I think it was at the half, Stewie was like 1/9. I think Laney was the leading scorer at the half for New York. Just a rough shooting night for New York. Normal shots that they take, they were missing. I was shocked that Johannes only played 13-14 minutes and she was 2/4 shooting. Could she have given them more options on the floor? We will never know.
Last night it felt like Sloot, especially in the 4th quarter, was driving into space with no plan. She missed some outside shots and was passing up open looks later into the game. Thought switching for Johannes should’ve been a good option.

Also really disliked Beondellos rotation. She played 3 bench players at once to open the fourth quarter and that was a really bad stretch. Especially for Thornton.

Stewie was looking tired. And unfortunately she isn’t immune to terrible shooting games. Just wasn’t the night for the liberty.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Wilson had a much more Wilson like game last night, but over the two games neither of them really made a definitive claim for MVP:

Stewie: 13ppg, 7rbg, 2.5apg, 7/31 FG
Wilson: 15ppg, 6.5rpg, 0.5apg; 9/23FG

I would argue JJ was most important player in first game, and Gray most important in second.

Reaction Score
Wilson had a much more Wilson like game last night, but over the two games neither of them really made a definitive claim for MVP:

I would argue JJ was most important player in first game, and Gray most important in second.
I thought they both made a pretty good case for AT for MVP...

Reaction Score

No argument in my opinion. Fair statements based on what I saw.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Some follow-up to the point a couple of pages above about whether some or all of Phee, Satou, and Nneka should be considered for MVP or where they place in the 1st team All-WNBA race:

Phee 21.4/7.9/2.4 shooting 48/31/82, team is 6th @ 14-16.

Nneka 19.7/9.0/2.7 shooting 51/34/89, team is 9th @ 12-18.

Satou 18.4/8.7/4.0 shooting 43/36/87, team is 4th @16-14.

Of course, I'm biased toward Phee, but these numbers are pretty similar. Phee scores 2-3 more ppg, but has fewer rebounds and assists. Nneka had comparable numbers, but a much higher shooting percentage in her MVP year (probably because she shot fewer threes then). Does she get the vote for consistency? Do Phee or Satou get the vote for reaching a new level? LA's record hurts Nneka in my opinion, but the season isn't over. Satou plays on a team where she isn't even the leading scorer. How does the Arike factor affect this?

I think they are all pretty even as of today, and, of course, all of them are a notch below Stewie, A'ja, and AT in the MVP race. I think Las Vegas has THREE guards who could get MVP consideration as well. They are all playing really well.

Reaction Score
Some follow-up to the point a couple of pages above about whether some or all of Phee, Satou, and Nneka should be considered for MVP or where they place in the 1st team All-WNBA race:

Phee 21.4/7.9/2.4 shooting 48/31/82, team is 6th @ 14-16.

Nneka 19.7/9.0/2.7 shooting 51/34/89, team is 9th @ 12-18.

Satou 18.4/8.7/4.0 shooting 43/36/87, team is 4th @16-14.

Of course, I'm biased toward Phee, but these numbers are pretty similar. Phee scores 2-3 more ppg, but has fewer rebounds and assists. Nneka had comparable numbers, but a much higher shooting percentage in her MVP year (probably because she shot fewer threes then). Does she get the vote for consistency? Do Phee or Satou get the vote for reaching a new level? LA's record hurts Nneka in my opinion, but the season isn't over. Satou plays on a team where she isn't even the leading scorer. How does the Arike factor affect this?

I think they are all pretty even as of today, and, of course, all of them are a notch below Stewie, A'ja, and AT in the MVP race. I think Las Vegas has THREE guards who could get MVP consideration as well. They are all playing really well.
They all are in conversations for WNBA 1st team but for MVP it's just STEWIE, A'ja with Alyssa Thomas, Satou Sabally geting a few votes
Sabally should win the MIP
I hope Marine Johannnes is on the race for 6th Player

Reaction Score
While Clark is know as a good defender, it was not her defense that shut down Stewie. Multiple players defended her through out the game. And to tell the truth Stewie just did not seem her self. She looked like she was sick. She has had bad shooting games but not like this one. She was missing badly on open looks.

Yes the do miss parker on defense and offense. Stokes is actually more consistant on defense. Parker often takes games off. The issue against the Lib was that Stokes was not having a good shooting game, even for her. She missed a lot of open bunnys, so the took her out and sat her longer than normal.

Something I have also noticed is than Young starts of really hot in the first half of the season but cools down a bit for the end of the season. The issues the Ace's have is when both Plum and Young are having bad shooting games. Then either Wilson or Gray have to be hot, but against really good teams that defend the interior that becomes a problem.

Reaction Score
They all are in conversations for WNBA 1st team but for MVP it's just STEWIE, A'ja with Alyssa Thomas, Satou Sabally geting a few votes
Sabally should win the MIP
I hope Marine Johannnes is on the race for 6th Player
No… sabally shouldn’t win the mvp. And no Johannes shouldn’t win 6th man

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I thought they both made a pretty good case for AT for MVP...
Well Connecticut is currently fading, so that isn't helping her case. They got hammered by Dallas today.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
The thing with the Aces and defensive assignments is, they switch on picks CONSTANTLY, so it's really hard to say any one player is responsible for shutting any particular opponent down. I don't really like the strategy, Plum is frequently getting matched up w/ players like Laney, Stewie or Jones in last night's game for instance.

Reaction Score
Dorka not in the starting lineup anymore but she still getting major minutes off the bench and contributing in big ways. 1st Team All-Rookie for sure. Great win, Minnesota in the first of the Back-to-Back against Seattle. Game #2 tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom