WNBA 2023 Off-season | Page 3 | The Boneyard

WNBA 2023 Off-season

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Cheryl is no longer the GM for for the Lynx. This was her first year stepping away from that role and I believe it was for the best for everybody. The joint role needs to be done away with in the league.
I'll tie @cancontent in here, too.

This makes sense for all the reasons you two -- and many others on this thread -- have brought up.
The other, in my mind, is Cheryl Reeve is the nead coach of the U.S.A. Women's National Team. Given that the Olympics are coming up, I think she'll have a lot to do as well.

Now, not to interrupt your respective happy dances, she still is President of Basketball Operations and that GM does report to her, so the boss conceivably has, ahem, some input on big decisions. ;). (But there is another person in the conversation.....)

Reaction Score
I'll tie @cancontent in here, too.

This makes sense for all the reasons you two -- and many others on this thread -- have brought up.
The other, in my mind, is Cheryl Reeve is the nead coach of the U.S.A. Women's National Team. Given that the Olympics are coming up, I think she'll have a lot to do as well.

Now, not to interrupt your respective happy dances, she still is President of Basketball Operations and that GM does report to her, so the boss conceivably has, ahem, some input on big decisions. ;). (But there is another person in the conversation.....)

BOOOOOO. Why did you take away my joy with facts?

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
This could be an interesting offseason. Players like EDD, Nneka, and SDS are all entering the latter parts of their career and probably want to win more than anything. Nneka to Las Vegas would be interesting as would EDD to New York or Connecticut if she wanted to stay on the east coast.
Of the three you named, Nneka Ogwumike already won a WNBA title (2016).
I am more curious to see if Ogwumike is named to the US Olympic team.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I doubt it. She should've been on the last team, but they rewarded her loyalty for years of service in lesser events than the Olympics with...nothing. I think that ship has sailed.

Reaction Score
I doubt it. She should've been on the last team, but they rewarded her loyalty for years of service in lesser events than the Olympics with...nothing. I think that ship has sailed.
Nneka, like Parker, got stiffed and it's best for both parties to move on.

Reaction Score
EDD has a title herself but SDS is still searching for one at the collegiate or professional level. I've always liked her competitiveness and hope she gets one but there are great players who didn't have that success either.

Reaction Score
I believe that a major reason Parker signed with the Aces was her relationship with C. Gray. They became good buddys in LA. In fact it was Parker who gave her the " Point Gawd" moniker.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
According to Michael Voepel of ESPNw,
"The 2024 WNBA draft lottery will take place Dec. 10 on ESPN, the league announced Tuesday.

"A 30-minute draft lottery special will air at 4:30 p.m. ET between the last two games of the Basketball Hall of Fame Women's Showcase tripleheader that day. The draft is scheduled for April 15."

Four teams will vie to get the #1 choice: Indiana Fever, Phoenix Mercury. Los Angeles Sparks and Seattle Storm.

Full article is linked below:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Don't think she would want to even if she could. I would think her flirtation with the Nigerian National Team pretty much eliminate her from Team USA. Even if it didn't, I think Nneka, Chiney, and Liz Williams all would like to play for Nigeria...

Reaction Score
I believe that a major reason Parker signed with the Aces was her relationship with C. Gray. They became good buddys in LA. In fact it was Parker who gave her the " Point Gawd" moniker.

That may be a factor but the biggest factor is her family still lived on the west coast and she wanted to be closer to them. There was no way she was going back to LA. That bridge had burned.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Unless folks want to draw up an International Leagues Thread, I'll place this one here, because most of the players we're following also play in the WNBA. That said, the Minnesota Lynx's Kayla MacBride was named the EuroLeague Player of the Month for October.
K-Mac, who plays for defending Euro champs, Fenerbahce (Turkey), is averaging 17.4 points, 4.4 rebounds, 4.6 assists and 2.4 steals in the first five games of the new campaign.

Through five games, Chicago Sky Guard Marina Mabrey, playing for Curkorova (also in Turkey), is leading the EuroLeague in scoring with 19.3 ppg, 5.5 rebounds and 3.5 assists per game.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Euro "All Star" Team for November Has Mabrey & Kone from Chicago Sky and Meesemann,
among others. Interactive, so if you'd like to vote...;)

Reaction Score
I still can’t believe the Aces won without Gray and Stokes, but Wilson was incredible. If you told me when she entered the draft that she would be on par with Stevie, I would’ve said no way, :rolleyes:
lol she's not "on par" with Stewart. Anakin/Padme meme goes here

Reaction Score
lol she's not "on par" with Stewart. Anakin/Padme meme goes here

Depends on how you perceive "on par" to mean. You've clipped out a fair portion of the post you're responding to which provided context which I believe makes their statement valid.

@lluvacc noted that Wilson doesn't have Stewart's offensive skillset but that she's worked hard to improve her game. When comparing the stats for this season alone, Wilson had better numbers in several categories.

Wilson and Stewart are not the same player. They never will be. They are, however, both dominant players who impact the game in different ways and are both critical to their team's success.

Reaction Score
Depends on how you perceive "on par" to mean. You've clipped out a fair portion of the post you're responding to which provided context which I believe makes their statement valid.

@lluvacc noted that Wilson doesn't have Stewart's offensive skillset but that she's worked hard to improve her game. When comparing the stats for this season alone, Wilson had better numbers in several categories.

Wilson and Stewart are not the same player. They never will be. They are, however, both dominant players who impact the game in different ways and are both critical to their team's success.
Unfamiliar with the meme, I guess
moon.jpg

A'ja Wilson was better than Stewart by every significant statistical measure. She had a better offensive rating, a better defensive rating, set a league record for win shares, had the best PER since Lauren Jackson and third highest in league history, then, with three of her top teammates injured, outplayed Stewart and friends to clinch the championship. The MVP result was a joke.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I guess back to drawing board on further expansion.

Put a team in Greenville. Just like UConn created the market for the Sun, a team with a couple of South Carolina alumni would do extremely well in a state devoid of professional sports.

Reaction Score
View attachment 93750

A'ja Wilson was better than Stewart by every significant statistical measure. She had a better offensive rating, a better defensive rating, set a league record for win shares, had the best PER since Lauren Jackson and third highest in league history, then, with three of her top teammates injured, outplayed Stewart and friends to clinch the championship. The MVP result was a joke.
I was unfamiliar with it. AND , having seen it, I still don’t get it,

Reaction Score
View attachment 93750

1). I'm fully aware of the meme.

2). As I stated, you've opted to overlook the most of the post you replied to which further explains their point.

3). You've also opted to overlook my response. They're different players and trying to make them equal for a comparison is impossible. That's what's frustrating about the Wilson-Stewart debate because when fans try to nitpick as to who is better, no one wins the argument in my opinion.

4). If you think I'm a UConn-biassd fan, you haven't read many of my posts. Personally, I would have chosen Thomas because she did something we've never seen before with the triple doubles, but I was high on Wilson winning it as well.

Reaction Score
View attachment 93750

I think if the MVP had been a blowout, it would have been a joke, but it was really close. Personally, I liked Thomas but there wasn't really a 'wrong' answer this year. I would have had Stewie third on my ballot. I can't disagree with people that thought Wilson deserved it either. Now that said, if the voting happened AFTER the playoffs and Wilson didn't win...then it would definitely be a joke. Including the playoffs, Wilson was undoubtedly the best IMO.

Reaction Score
I think if the MVP had been a blowout, it would have been a joke, but it was really close. Personally, I liked Thomas but there wasn't really a 'wrong' answer this year. I would have had Stewie third on my ballot. I can't disagree with people that thought Wilson deserved it either. Now that said, if the voting happened AFTER the playoffs and Wilson didn't win...then it would definitely be a joke. Including the playoffs, Wilson was undoubtedly the best IMO.
I know this won't be popular here but I think there was a wrong answer. I thought this season it had to be between Wilson or Thomas.

The MVP award has generally went to the best player on the best team in previous seasons or a player that was off the charts better than everyone else.

A'ja was the center piece to both the best offensive and defensive team in the league, all while shooting with an unmatched high efficiency and dealing with the adversity of losing her frontcourt mate Parker pretty early in the season. She was able to impact the game and put her team in winning positions in less times than her peers and only had marginally less points than Stewie and marginally less rebounds than AT despite the minutes played.

AT in a similar vain as A'ja had to step up in the absence of losing her frontcourt partner in Bri Jones early in the season and took the brunt of her absence too. Considering how much the Sun needed her in all aspects of the game and how much she impacted the game I totally get why she would be considered despite not meeting the typical requirements for the MVP in the past 10 years.

As for Stewie she had a good season, but I don't think it compares to the other two. She adapted well to NY and she had some big scoring games but I definitely feel like she wasn't as efficient as A'ja and not as essential as AT was despite not having the same major adversities the other two had to endure in the regular season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom