WNBA 2023 Off-season | Page 2 | The Boneyard

WNBA 2023 Off-season

Reaction Score
Didn’t Carleton have a nagging injury most of the season?

She not only didn’t play as she had in the Worlds, she didn’t play as she had in the last couple of seasons.

Carleton did start the system off dealing with an injury of some kind. I am giving her the benefit of the doubt. This season for the Lynx was a challenge for everyone. I do hope that we can keep Carleton here in Minnesota.

Reaction Score
With Loyd, Copper, and Laney also signing extensions with their current teams, the free agent market in 2024 appears much less interesting. Yes, Jonquel Jones, Dewanna Bonner, Brionna Jones, Natasha Cloud and EDD "could" change teams--but it would surprise me.

The biggest question mark, as others have mentioned, is where does SDS end up [She would be a major upgrade over Wheeler in Indiana...just saying]. A lot of the other movement I think we'll see is among role and bench players.
I just think Skylar would be an ideal fit for Indiana. Her veteran leadership and her basketball skill set could help the Fever a lot.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
She shot a few this season. Wouldn't be surprised if she continues to work at it to expand her shooting range. Not saying she'll live outside the paint though, but it seemed like she's moving outwards more in where she plays with this offense. It would be another arrow in her quiver to use when necessary.
She took way more in '22 and hit them at a higher clip than this last season. 31 makes at 37% in '22 compared to only 9 at 31% in '23. She can step out and take them, but I don't think it's going to be a significant part of her game. Now the mid range jumper from around the free throw line on the other hand is one of the staples of her arsenal.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Here's a list of players that are free agents (I believe they're all UFA's). The mayhem -- ahem, signing period -- doesn't begin until mid- to late-January, but that won't stop us from examining the list and players and doing our completely objective speculation. :rolleyes::)

Reaction Score
After the Aces won the title the other day, some of the players did interviews or played Bingo. Thank you, Sydney Colson for sharing the Bingo event. A'ja was seen with a cast on her left arm. Now I am watching the Aces Championship parade. The reporter mentioned that A'ja played the Finals with some kind of facture. We heard and knew about Chelsea and Kiah's injury, but I must have missed A'ja's injury report.

3-Peat is the conversation for the Aces.

Reaction Score
This isn't off-season related but thought this would be cool to share. Kwhai Leonard talks about how watching WNBA helped him learn a new move to add to his skillset.

Reaction Score
After the Aces won the title the other day, some of the players did interviews or played Bingo. Thank you, Sydney Colson for sharing the Bingo event. A'ja was seen with a cast on her left arm. Now I am watching the Aces Championship parade. The reporter mentioned that A'ja played the Finals with some kind of facture. We heard and knew about Chelsea and Kiah's injury, but I must have missed A'ja's injury report.

3-Peat is the conversation for the Aces.
They posted on social yesterday that A'Ja had a thumb sprain and the cast was just preventative and to let her arm rest a bit more.

K14

Reaction Score
What about SDS to Minnesota? She’s played with McBride before in college and the Lynx could use a point guard.

K14

Reaction Score
Also how about EDD to New York? If they are able to keep JJ, a starting lineup of JJ, EDD, Stewie, Ionescu, and vandersloot would be interesting with Laney first off the bench?

Reaction Score
What about SDS to Minnesota? She’s played with McBride before in college and the Lynx could use a point guard.
I am a SDS fan. I love her game. She has that DAWG in her. We could use her here in Minny. The only issue I see is, team chemistry. Coach Reeve is trying to build around Phee. Would Sky be okay with being 2nd or 3rd option? Would adding Sky help our hurt the development of the other players, especially Dorka and Diamond? Heck with this season, a lot of players should have gotten minutes but for whatever reason, they did not. Would Sky be okay just getting 25-30 minutes a game? I get the Kayla McBride connection. Heck that could work. I am on the fence about adding Sky to the Lynx roster. But that is on Coach Reeve. I support my Lynx no matter what.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Does Coach Reeve even really want a PG? She can't seem to settle on one, been a different make up to the back court just about every season since Whalen retired.

Reaction Score
Does Coach Reeve even really want a PG? She can't seem to settle on one, been a different make up to the back court just about every season since Whalen retired.

I truly believe if Whalen wanted to come out of retirement, Reeve would give her a max contract like candy. I kid I kid, but for real. She has not trusted a PG since Whalen retired and it's really frustrating.

Reaction Score
I truly believe if Whalen wanted to come out of retirement, Reeve would give her a max contract like candy. I kid I kid, but for real. She has not trusted a PG since Whalen retired and it's really frustrating.
Great point! After Whalen retired, it has been a revolving door of point guards. I still say, Coach gave up too soon on Crystal and we should have never let Layshia Clarendon go.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I am a SDS fan. I love her game. She has that DAWG in her. We could use her here in Minny. The only issue I see is, team chemistry. Coach Reeve is trying to build around Phee. Would Sky be okay with being 2nd or 3rd option? Would adding Sky help our hurt the development of the other players, especially Dorka and Diamond? Heck with this season, a lot of players should have gotten minutes but for whatever reason, they did not. Would Sky be okay just getting 25-30 minutes a game? I get the Kayla McBride connection. Heck that could work. I am on the fence about adding Sky to the Lynx roster. But that is on Coach Reeve. I support my Lynx no matter what.

As @nwhoopfan says, does GM/Coach Reeve really want a PG? And, if so, what does she want her to do (push pace? run half-court, a lot/little bit of scoring?).

If I'm Reeve -- and S D-S -- I think it would behoove them to have this conversation and give-and-take to see if the situation is right for both sides. S D-S can do any of those things I'm mentioning and she can play with other major contributors (see K-Mac in college, Brirttany Griner in pro's).

I've posted before, but I could see opportunities for Sky anywhere from Minny and Chitown to Connecticut and, yes, even Las Vegas as a one-year rental of sorts if Gray is out for the season. Sign a one-year deal and come back in 2025 with a new CBA for her (probably) last big contract.

K14

Reaction Score
I think Sky wants a championship so maybe Chicago and Indiana are out? I think the lynx are a good point guard away from really being contenders. She could also go to Vegas IF gray is out for the year. Maybe New York? Honestly there’s a lot of teams that could use her skill set

K14

Reaction Score
This could be an interesting offseason. Players like EDD, Nneka, and SDS are all entering the latter parts of their career and probably want to win more than anything. Nneka to Las Vegas would be interesting as would EDD to New York or Connecticut if she wanted to stay on the east coast.

Reaction Score
I think Sky wants a championship so maybe Chicago and Indiana are out? I think the lynx are a good point guard away from really being contenders. She could also go to Vegas IF gray is out for the year. Maybe New York? Honestly there’s a lot of teams that could use her skill set
Sky to Vegas is an interesting possibility. I think the main question there is a monetary one. Because of the Aces status now, they have a distinct advantage recruiting "ring chasers" at far less than market value. This past season they got Clark and Parker for far less than they could have received elsewhere.

In essence they have paid their stars and then concentrated the remaining dollars on the first three expected players off the bench, but getting above market value for the main substitutes. That model means no 12th player and 9-11 are minimum or near minimum contracts out of necessity.

Heading into last season that strategy with the cap looked very good. Five all-star level starters with two previous league MVP's, and a very good 6-8 group off the bench with one big (Stokes) one midsize (Clark) and one small (Williams). The rest of the roster was get what you can for the minimum, but don't spend money on 9-11 that could be used to upgrade a player in the rotation.

Of course Williams never played so the quality players shrank to 7, then 6 when Parker went down, and to 4 when Gray and Stokes were out for that last game. For the most part though, I think that roster strategy was sound, and they may want to play it back in a similar way. Stokes I think will return for similar money. Parker might as well, but I don't know if she will make a significant financial sacrifice for a second year, and I think we can assume Williams will probably not be back.

If Parker returns and Gray is healthy, the final player in a main rotation of say 8 would be the main priority. They would be looking for a guard , so a Sky like player would be a good fit there, but they probably could not pay her much or give her a starting role. That's where the ring chaser type comes into play. Skylar may or may not be that type of player, but I think the odds of Vegas finding a high quality player to be a key reserve for less than market value are pretty good.

Reaction Score

Can someone else other than Reeve be the GM please? Seriously believe there needs to be more balance in the front office. Never hurts to have more than one opinion when making personnel decisions.

Reaction Score
Also how about EDD to New York? If they are able to keep JJ, a starting lineup of JJ, EDD, Stewie, Ionescu, and vandersloot would be interesting with Laney first off the bench?
And there EDD wouldn't have to play 30 minutes, 20 to 25 would be good.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I doubt she’d want to go. She demanded a trade specifically to only Washington so she could be close to family. Mystics could be title contenders too if they can keep Cloud or find a suitable PG (and stay healthy)

Reaction Score
Can someone else other than Reeve be the GM please? Seriously believe there needs to be more balance in the front office. Never hurts to have more than one opinion when making personnel decisions.
Cheryl is no longer the GM for for the Lynx. This was her first year stepping away from that role and I believe it was for the best for everybody. The joint role needs to be done away with in the league.

Reaction Score
Cheryl is no longer the GM for for the Lynx. This was her first year stepping away from that role and I believe it was for the best for everybody. The joint role needs to be done away with in the league.
Appreciate the clarification.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom