With Parker out of the Picture? | The Boneyard

With Parker out of the Picture?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think its a foregone conclusion that Jordan Bell will get his offer this weekend. Just for Gits and Shiggles, Lets say Bell Commits on the spot. But we lose XRM to FSU.... Who else are we in serious contention for? Seems like we'll need a dynamic scorer still. Any names? Obviously by my Inactivity (number of posts) I have been out of the loop...

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Ko would have landed at least 1 of xrm or parker with a 3 or 5 year deal. Enjoy your dinner warde.

Reaction Score
And with a seven year deal he would have gotten each to commit twice!

LOL. chances were very high he got neither no matter what. But there's still no point in tying one hand behind your back.

Reaction Score
Congrats to KO for getting the thought into Parker's head late and making it tough not to allow UConn to be one of them..........still made a great run at him considering.....

Next?............

Reaction Score
I believe that you will see us go after Brandon Austin or Noah Voleh with all we have now.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
False

Yes, it's false. HuskyfanDan gets a lot of clues from all the people talking in his head. Just yesterday, Gengis Khan told him that Putin was behind 9/11.

Reaction Score
I would imagine some recruits are having the same thoughts as WM (put in their heads by other coaches). Yeah, KO is charismatic, but can he coach? I'm absolutely not criticizing KO - love the selection. But his record is blank. A good season, like I expect, and he'll have his contract and a great shot at guys like Parker in the future.

Reaction Score
HFD - if you are a one and done like JP - why come to a team w/ a post season ban? KO contract length had nothing to do with either's decision.

what does the postseason ban have to do with the 13-14 season?

Reaction Score
Ko would have landed at least 1 of xrm or parker with a 3 or 5 year deal. Enjoy your dinner warde.

HFD - if you are a one and done like JP - why come to a team w/ a post season ban? KO contract length had nothing to do with either's decision.

what does the postseason ban have to do with the 13-14 season?

Fair point, it has nothing to do with it - got ahead of myself. Thanks for the correction.

Reaction Score
Go get Bell and Vonleh and call it a class? I think its fair to assume that we will have Boat/Napier/Calhoun/Giffey/Samuel to play with at the 1/2 and Daniels/Tolksdorf to use at the 3 with Giffey.

A Vonleh/Olander starting front court rotating Nolan/Bell/Facey/Wolf is attractive.

U

UCONNfan1

I would imagine some recruits are having the same thoughts as WM (put in their heads by other coaches). Yeah, KO is charismatic, but can he coach? I'm absolutely not criticizing KO - love the selection. But his record is blank. A good season, like I expect, and he'll have his contract and a great shot at guys like Parker in the future.
I actually think this had more to do with it than his 1 year contract. Or maybe it was a combo of both. Good grief, tho. The staff "missed" out on 2 kids, possibly they never would have gotten regardless of whether or not Ollie had a 10 year contract.

I think if he exceeds expectations on the court this season and earns a long term contract he'll have a much better shot at landing kids for 2014 and beyond. From what I've read on here, the staff is all over a bunch of kids from 2014.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I have no clue whether there's any basis to believe we had a legitimate shot at either XRM or Jabari Parker. But I know that if I was a top recruit, and my dream was to play in the NBA, the decision of where to go to college would be the most important decision in my life to date. Even more so if my family was counting on me. And I know that no matter how much I loved UConn and loved and trusted KO and his values and abilities, I would not choose to come to UConn if KO only had a seven-month contract and the AD did not give any assurance that he would be renewed. And if it was my child's decision, I would advise him the same.

If KO continues to strike out, it will not be unreasonable to look at the seven-month contract as a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Reaction Score
I have no clue whether there's any basis to believe we had a legitimate shot at either XRM or Jabari Parker. But I know that if I was a top recruit, and my dream was to play in the NBA, the decision of where to go to college would be the most important decision in my life to date. Even more so if my family was counting on me. And I know that no matter how much I loved UConn and loved and trusted KO and his values and abilities, I would not choose to come to UConn if KO only had a seven-month contract and the AD did not give any assurance that he would be renewed. And if it was my child's decision, I would advise him the same.

If KO continues to strike out, it will not be unreasonable to look at the seven-month contract as a self-fulfilling prophecy.

So, if you wanted to play in the NBA...you would choose Florida State or BYU?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So, if you wanted to play in the NBA...you would choose Florida State or BYU?
If I had the connection to FSU that XRM has, under present circumstances, yes.

I'll be surprised if Parker ends up going to BYU, but given what I understand of his other criteria, which include religion and academics, I can understand why it made the cut. Plus, the Mormon kicked ass last night, so BYU gets some residual cred (jk).

Reaction Score
If I had the connection to FSU that XRM has, under present circumstances, yes.

I'll be surprised if Parker ends up going to BYU, but given what I understand of his other criteria, which include religion and academics, I can understand why it made the cut. Plus, the Mormon kicked ass last night, so BYU gets some residual cred (jk).

You get the point though, yes? There are a whole lot of factors playing into where a kid goes to college. Missing out on the #1 recruit in the nation and a highly-ranked shooting guard whose parents went to FSU isn't probative of anything.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You get the point though, yes? There are a whole lot of factors playing into where a kid goes to college. Missing out on the #1 recruit in the nation and a highly-ranked shooting guard whose parents went to FSU isn't probative of anything.
I wouldn't say it's not probative of anything. The variety of factors and the small sample size are the reasons why I made clear that I was not limiting it to XRM and Parker, but we were one of three with XRM and were just added by Parker. Both players cited KO as the main reason they kept us on or added us to the list, and both players obviously valued our history of sustained excellence and especially our history of producing successful NBA players. I think it is incredibly naive to think the AD's intentionally telegraphed likelihood that KO doesn't get renewed did not play a factor in their decisions, or that it won't figure in others'.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't say it's not probative of anything. The variety of factors and the small sample size are the reasons why I made clear that I was not limiting it to XRM and Parker, but we were one of three with XRM and were just added by Parker.

I know, you hedged from the start because you're aware that your point is pretty much BS. Who else are you including? Everyone who doesn't pick us? Because in the past we've always gotten every recruit we wanted? I don't understand the logic of considering this probative in any way, shape or form.

Both players cited KO as the main reason they kept us on or added us to the list, and both players obviously valued our history of sustained excellence and especially our history of producing successful NBA players.

Were the terms of KO's contract public before or after Parker added us to his in-home list?

I think it is incredibly naive to think the AD's intentionally telegraphed likelihood that KO doesn't get renewed did not play a factor in their decisions, or that it won't figure in others'.

Please explain what you consider to be "the AD's intentionally telegraphed likelihood that KO doesn't get renewed".

Curiouser
Reaction Score
@ Selles: These really are very simple, basic points:

• I didn't hedge. I said I didn't know. Presently there is a sample size of two. Based on the criteria these two have identified (coach/religion/NBA/program excellence), UConn is as good as--and likely better than--their other options. KO was the number one factor they both cited in our favor. Once they explored further, they dropped us quickly. If you were a top recruit, or your son was, and you are saying that the fact that the program you are considering presently has a head coach vacancy for the time you are going to be there would not factor into your decision, you have a very different decision process than I do. I would guess that it is also a very different decision process than every other top recruit, but that is a guess.
  • Parker added us after KO was announced as head coach. He and his father both said that KO was the reason he added us. The term of KO's contract was announced on the day JC retired, as Manuel and KO were both questioned about it directly at the press conference. I know your logical response is that the term must not have been a factor in his decision to cut us then, but that is not what I conclude. Again this is complete speculation, as I've said from the start, but I think it is just as likely that when they kicked the tires and explored what type of assurance there was that KO would still be here, they found there was none. I also recall reading an article posted here a while ago that stated that one or two recruits who had inquired about this issue previously were assured by Herbst that KO would stay on, but when those same recruits met with Manuel shortly thereafter he gave them no such assurance.
  • The telegraph is the seven-month contract. That is intended to let everyone know that KO is an interim coach and that we have a vacancy starting in the 2013-14 season. Manuel can put all the squishy language in the world around that, but the people in the business know what it means. I'll go one step further and say that my second-hand knowledge from friends in a position to know is that Manuel is not sold on KO and has at least two other candidates waiting in the pipeline. I have not been told who the candidates are.
Your second point raises an interesting issue that I hadn't thought about previously. I know the conventional wisdom is that recruits are routinely released from commitments when the head coach who recruited them leaves the school, but I wonder if it's the same situation when they know at the time they commit that the head coach for time that they are going to be here is still TBD. I realize that that really only pertains to letters of intent, but I wonder whether there is a difference in the latter situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom