With Newsome commit, UCONN cracks Rivals top 40 for star rankings | The Boneyard

With Newsome commit, UCONN cracks Rivals top 40 for star rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
While not perfect, Rivals' rankings are widely reported.

Based on the Arkeel Newsome commit, UConn's 2014 class is now ranked #40 in the country for average recruit ranking.

Rivals has UConn at an average recruit ranking of 3.0. (They've yet to rank Marchi or Carrezola). Both had BCS offers (Temple), so if the service is honest , at least one of the two will get a 3*. Scout gave Carrezola and Marchi a 2*, but with no real review. Rivals is usually more "honest" with northeastern recruits, and it's hard to justify a 2*for Marchi when they gave Cochran a 3*. In any event, as it stands now, UCONN is ahead of:

ACC

VaTech 2.92
Syracuse 2.86
UNC 2.88
GA Tech 2.82
NC State 2.77
Maryland 2.71
BC 2.7
Pitt 2.64
Duke 2.64

AAC
Louisville 2.95
USF 2.91
Rutgers 2.8
Cincy 2.4
Temple 2.44
UCF 2.22
Houston 2.08
SMU 2.08

Some other schools that UCONN is ahead of in average recruit ranking:
Baylor, Okahoma State, Nebraska, BYU, K State, TCU, Arizona and a bunch of others in the "power" conferences.

Now, we can debate how big the class is going to be (I think it will have at least 15 senior verbal commits resulting in 13 to 14 signings in February) and whether we are behind a bit in filling the class out. Pasqualoni is committed to his camp concept which tends to see a lag in recruit early signings.

But the Newsome commit was huge. I forget what coach said we're only interested in the top 1% of 1% (which stastically would leave you with one recruit), but clearly Pasqualoni is going after the best. Considering all the forces aligned against him, he's getting the recruits.

Reaction Score
I would comment how ridiculous this is, but I don't want to be accused of being a negative Nancy. So I won't do that.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
It was bs before to claim that we were behind Akron in recruiting and it's probably bs now to say that we're ahead of Virginia Tech and Louisville.

As usual, the muddled reality lies somewhere in between but it's so much more fun to argue black and white instead of shades of grey.

Reaction Score
It was bs before to claim that we were behind Akron in recruiting and it's probably bs now to say that we're ahead of Virginia Tech and Louisville.

As usual, the muddled reality lies somewhere in between but it's so much more fun to argue black and white instead of shades of grey.

Any politician will gladly point out that right now UConn is ahead of VT and UL.

Reaction Score
The quality over quantity part must have been lost on you.

I can't really fault you for that as a quick look at Rutgers' student body reveals that quantity over quality is the name of the game at good old rutgers! I kid. I kid.

This is the star average ranking, not rivals' aggregate point rankings. No doubt Rutgers and Flood are having a monster year so far on the trail.

According to Rivals, UCONN is ranked 95th. RU is 16th.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I can't really fault you for that as a quick look at Rutgers' student body reveals that quantity over quality is the name of the game at good old rutgers! I kid. I kid.

This is the star average ranking, not rivals' aggregate point rankings. No doubt Rutgers and Flood are having a monster year so far on the trail.

Here's Paul Anka's guarantee. Just don't look. Just don't look.

Reaction Score

Rankings by Rivals over the last 5 years....obviously, 2014 is not in my chart since it's not completed. The lower the number the better since it shows how you ranked vs all college football teams.

EAC6274B-36C0-472A-8590-85C09DBC8859-558-00000062B483078F_zps4c7cc762.jpg

Reaction Score
Nobody on this board gives two sh! Ts about ru's rank. Serious question, are uconn fans always on your board being as annoying as you are? If they are Let me apologise.

Reaction Score
It's hard to tell if this is a joke thread or not. I guess in your view a school with one 5* player and 24 unranked athletes will be the best team by average stars since only ranked players count in their metric.

It's more reasonable to mentally convert unranked to 2*s - that's how 247 treats unranked rivals players in their average. Their average star composite rating (which averages Rivals/Scout/ESPN/247 ratings) puts UConn at a respectable 5th in the AAC (80.46) and 65th overall - so basically the middle of FBS.

Anyway, good get for UConn.

Reaction Score
You're saying it took 140+ years for Rutgers to be relevant in anything again? There's no guarantee they'll even be relevant on the field.

Reaction Score
Good things all those classes have brought you multiple conference championships.

No championships but I'm sure you would trade every win in your program's history just to be in our shoes claiming the BigTen as a home.

Reaction Score
Also.....I was just stating facts with my chart. I actually thought you guys would like it since you've had stronger classes than Sadxcuse

Reaction Score
Whether we have a good star rating or poor star rating on the sites, it means nothing to me. Recruiting classes aren't judged on stars, they are judged on results.

We have had 2 star players excelling in the NFL, and 4 star players who couldn't see the starting lineup.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Isn't this in essence posting how ridiculous this is?

Good God. Someone actually ranked us based on average based on the average of TWO recruits? Do you know how statisitically meaningless that is based on standard deviations?

I'm thrilled we have Newsome and hope he does a better job staying in uniform for 4 or 5 years than most of the kids we've gotten from the Valley have. I'll postpone any rational discussion as how our class ranks compared to other classes until we sign it the first week in February. Sheesh.

Reaction Score
No championships but I'm sure you would trade every win in your program's history just to be in our shoes claiming the BigTen as a home.
Main thing for Rutgers is to get their internal house in order. RU and their coaching/admin has been a national joke.

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
Rankings by Rivals over the last 5 years....obviously, 2014 is not in my chart since it's not completed. The lower the number the better since it shows how you ranked vs all college football teams.

EAC6274B-36C0-472A-8590-85C09DBC8859-558-00000062B483078F_zps4c7cc762.jpg
And after all that 1 BCS appearence to zero for any of those teams

Reaction Score
Absolutely not, because we'll most likely be there anyway in 3-5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom