With College Football Playoff change looming, a 12-team model leads the way (Yahoo/Thamel) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

With College Football Playoff change looming, a 12-team model leads the way (Yahoo/Thamel)

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
They’ve always been called the A5 formally by the NCAA. P5 was a monicker used by TV people and writers because it sounds better than A5

Reaction Score
They’ve always been called the A5 formally by the NCAA. P5 was a monicker used by TV people and writers because it sounds better than A5
And yet A5 is so much more explicit with the real intent of the set of conferences

They are out in the open that they already consider themselves functionally “autonomous” from the NCAA and as if their ongoing involvement with the NCAA is already a formality

I guess I just never knew or would figure they would be so out in the open about it

Reaction Score
It has always been in the open...and was always, since the 2014 change, officially the "Autonomous Five"....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And Notre Dame doesn’t exist
They just shouldn't. They sucked off the teat of the ACC last season when only conference games where the norm in college football. And, got exposed whe they had to play their way into the playoffs viaa conference championship game. They probably would have had two losses had T. Lawrence been healthy for their regular season matchup against Clemson. Still don't see how 64 powerful programs can't "force" ND to permanently moin a conference and play by the same parameters as other schools.

Reaction Score
They just shouldn't. They sucked off the teat of the ACC last season when only conference games where the norm in college football. And, got exposed whe they had to play their way into the playoffs viaa conference championship game. They probably would have had two losses had T. Lawrence been healthy for their regular season matchup against Clemson. Still don't see how 64 powerful programs can't "force" ND to permanently moin a conference and play by the same parameters as other schools.
AS long as ND has that TV money coming in they have zero interest in joining a conference in football. The only Notre Dame joins any conference for football is when the TV money dries up. And I don't see that happening as they bring the eyeballs to the television sets when they play.

Reaction Score
AS long as ND has that TV money coming in they have zero interest in joining a conference in football. The only Notre Dame joins any conference for football is when the TV money dries up. And I don't see that happening as they bring the eyeballs to the television sets when they play.

ND makes less TV money than any P5 school. It would make more TV money as an ACC member (it got a slight raise in 2020 by sharing NBC money/ACC ESPN money) and would make about double what it currently does as a Big Ten member.

Reaction Score
ND makes less TV money than any P5 school. It would make more TV money as an ACC member (it got a slight raise in 2020 by sharing NBC money/ACC ESPN money) and would make about double what it currently does as a Big Ten member.

Right, it’s about remaining unique - and being able to play USC, Stanford and Navy on their transitional dates.

Notre Dame as an institution - and the athletic department - doesn’t “need” the money

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Right, it’s about remaining unique - and being able to play USC, Stanford and Navy on their transitional dates.

Notre Dame as an institution - and the athletic department - doesn’t “need” the money
The exposure (both in national OTA television and as a paper tiger every 6th year) is worth more to Notre Dame than the conference football money. They still share in the ACC network for basketball.

Reaction Score
i think just trying to overlay past years top 12 with the seeding of a 12 team playoff is a mistake
I don’t know if it’s a mistake but it is too simplistic because the stakes will change moving forward in the human involvement in slotting teams in the rankings.

Reaction Score
I don’t know if it’s a mistake but it is too simplistic because the stakes will change moving forward in the human involvement in slotting teams in the rankings.

Right, but I think going back and saying “if a 12 team playoff had been in place for the past 10 years, Boise State and UCF would’ve been in the playoffs more than Auburn or Michigan” is wrong

Reaction Score
The exposure (both in national OTA television and as a paper tiger every 6th year) is worth more to Notre Dame than the conference football money. They still share in the ACC network for basketball.

ND is 43-8 the past four years, with two playoff berths (one indy, one ACC member) in the past three years.

It went 9-0 in the regular season of its only year playing in a P5 conference.

It has had 3 undefeated regular seasons in the past 9 years.

If that is a "paper tiger every 6th year", then all but about 4-5 programs in America are also paper tigers.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
ND is 43-8 the past four years, with two playoff berths (one indy, one ACC member) in the past three years.

If that is a "paper tiger every 6th year", then all but about 4-5 programs in America are also paper tigers.

For lack of a better system at present, all the other programs in America are what they are, and no other program in America has enjoyed concessions or the size of benefit of a doubt remotely comparable to Notre Dame for the better part of the last three decades.

Notre Dame may have been able to lay claim to a COVID NYD6 game spot, but they had little claim to the Playoff, IMO. Dare I say the only reason they were was by way of human intervention in the form of the playoff committee. They played 4 teams in the COVID season with a winning record, Two of those programs each went 6-5 and one was missing the best player in college football who also happens to play the most important position on the field. Five COVID opponents had 3 or fewer wins.

Notre Dame got destroyed in the ACCCG and the only reason it was as close as it was is because of a 4Q garbage time touchdown, where roughly the final 33 1/2 minutes could very reasonably be considered garbage time. Then they got pushed around again in the semi-final, where roughly the final 57:50 was garbage time.

As I said in January. I don't blame them necessarily. Their preferential arrangement with the P5 is not unilateral and ND would be foolish not to accept it. On the other hand, most ND fans are blind not to see it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Yeah, but your coach killed a player and Notre Dame buried it. Literally.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but your coach killed a player and Notre Dame buried it. Literally.

You’re mixing up two things; Maryland killed a player, Brian Kelly only killed a student employee

Reaction Score
They wouldn't bring eyeballs to the television sets if the P5 programs boycotted them until they agreed to play in a conference full time. A boycott that would last only to the point ND loses its privileged status.

Reaction Score

You got to where you are by stole the coach from Cincy. These ridiculous labels of the P5 and G5 in the college football caste system got to stop. It is an insult to many atheles playing, and ND getting special treatment is just part of the overall major problems in college football.

Reaction Score
You got to where you are by stole the coach from Cincy. These ridiculous labels of the P5 and G5 in the college football caste system got to stop. It is an insult to many atheles playing, and ND getting special treatment is just part of the overall major problems in college football.
It's all about the benjamins and ND brings the benjamins whether in a conference or not. If you removed the money and TV eyeballs from the equation, ND would never see the playoffs.

Reaction Score
Right, but I think going back and saying “if a 12 team playoff had been in place for the past 10 years, Boise State and UCF would’ve been in the playoffs more than Auburn or Michigan” is wrong

It may not be completely accurate but the overall point that the top G5 conference schools will have an easier path to the playoffs than many P5 schools is accurate. BYU would obviously need to join a G5 conference to get this benefit and I expect they will.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It may not be completely accurate but the overall point that the top G5 conference schools will have an easier path to the playoffs than many P5 schools is accurate. BYU would obviously need to join a G5 conference to get this benefit and I expect they will.

True...the best of the G5 will have an easier path than mid conference P5 teams....and that may be as it should be.

The top three of the SEC and B1G may have an advantage over any non conference champ G5 teams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom