With College Football Playoff change looming, a 12-team model leads the way (Yahoo/Thamel) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

With College Football Playoff change looming, a 12-team model leads the way (Yahoo/Thamel)

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I don't see how this tiny sliver of hope for the AAC changes a thing for UConn, except for giving UConn a slightly tinier sliver for themselves. The AAC was killing UConn. Look at all of that teams thrived over the past year outside it's oppressive yolk. Fans calling for UConn to "beg" their way back in certainly aren't UConn fans.
We didn't belong. How does a UConn fan in NYC brag about playing SMU, Tulsa, ECU and Memphis to their peers? You can't. The AAC is a decent conference for all but UConn. We didn't fit and its because its not in the DNA of New Englanders to fit with that trans south-central grouping. UConn - Seton Hall, UConn - Georgetown, UConn-Villanova, even UConn - DePaul lines up more more naturally. There are several Villanova households in my neighborhood in southern CT....Some St Johns, some Georgetown. I can't say that about a single AAC school accept yes - there are occasionally dispassionate Tulane alumni around.

We tried UConn on an island in the AAC and it didn't work, we were taking on water.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
We didn't belong. How does a UConn fan in NYC brag about playing SMU, Tulsa, ECU and Memphis to their peers? You can't. The AAC is a decent conference for all but UConn. We didn't fit and its because its not in the DNA of New Englanders to fit with that trans south-central grouping. UConn - Seton Hall, UConn - Georgetown, UConn-Villanova, even UConn - DePaul lines up more more naturally. There are several Villanova households in my neighborhood in southern CT....Some St Johns, some Georgetown. I can't say that about a single AAC school accept yes - there are occasionally dispassionate Tulane alumni around.

We tried UConn on an island in the AAC and it didn't work, we were taking on water.
AAC experience might have been different if the football team wasn't horrendous during that period. It didn't matter who they were playing....they were unwatchable. If they were playing meaningful games, maybe some rivalries could have been built.

I prefer being independent...but the AAC experience was tainted by our bad football teams.

Reaction Score
I don't see how this tiny sliver of hope for the AAC changes a thing for UConn, except for giving UConn a slightly tinier sliver for themselves. The AAC was killing UConn. Look at all of that teams thrived over the past year outside it's oppressive yolk. Fans calling for UConn to "beg" their way back in certainly aren't UConn

We tried UConn on an island in the AAC and it didn't work, we were taking on water

These are the only correct takes. Arguing anything else is either a) trolling (at best) or b) delusional idiocy

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
It's not good for Temple either.

No doubt Temple will be monitoring our fortunes as an independent for they find themselves in the same situation in a decade.

AAC experience might have been different if the football team wasn't horrendous during that period. It didn't matter who they were playing....they were unwatchable. If they were playing meaningful games, maybe some rivalries could have been built.

I prefer being independent...but the AAC experience was tainted by our bad football teams.

Yep, maybe a little different...but its really hard to get people in the Northeast to get excited by a "Conf USA" type line up. They want a more relatable line up or they want something that is truly top shelf. Even if we were winning 6-9 games a year in AAC football I think we still would have had attendance & alumni engagement weakness at all levels and in all sports.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Giving teams a bye is an unfair tournament. Not surprised this is the route they would take.

The top 6 Big East teams were given a first game bye in the last conference BB tournament while four played....how is this different from the football bye model?

Reaction Score
To be a great idea the champ of every conference and highest ranked independent not named Norte Dame, since it’s really in the ACC, should get an automatic bid! All schools should have a real pathway to the college championship. Not a fake chance!!

Reaction Score
To be a great idea the champ of every conference and highest ranked independent not named Norte Dame, since it’s really in the ACC, should get an automatic bid! All schools should have a real pathway to the college championship. Not a fake chance!!

But the Irish aren't in the ACC for football.....excepting last year's covid season.

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Oh, here we go. They are going to attempt to legislate nuance and anomalies. This is how Notre Dame will ultimately be the only Independent with a pathway to a bye.

Set up the broad strokes. Play the games, and have the chips fall where they may. Picking winners in September is how they got here in the first place.

If Notre Dame wants a bye they should join a conference permanently. After all, Conference championships and in season rivalry games are more important than a silly end of season tournament. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Clown take. You can argue the decision on the grounds of football for sure, but to say the Big East is anything less than a power basketball conference is ridiculous.

Since the new league formed they've sent: 4,6,5,7,6,4,4 teams to the NCAAs and won two national titles.

Not bad for a strong regional league.
The Big East is Villanova. You are repeating exactly what I predicted. Lots of bids. Villanova has 2 national championships. The rest of the league has 2 sweet 16s. St John’s, Providence, Seton Hall et al are exactly what they have been for 2 decades. Nice little programs that have neither intent nor hope of doing anything in the post season. For UConn, whether you want to admit it or not, this move represented a step back for its athletic program from being a perennial national presence to a regional one. There are many reasons for that including a desire to focus on academics and decline in interest from younger alums and students in general but the biggest one is money and the failure of the Susie-Warde team to get us into the ACC when the opportunity arose. It is fine. But the likelihood of seeing another National Championship banner in Gampel is very slim. Once Geno retires it will be unlikely on that side as well.

I will say it again, though. Villanova is a major national power. Their success is no more a reflection on the quality of the New Big East than Gonzaga’s is a reflection of the quality of its conference. While major conferences can point to multiple teams making deep runs, even winning it all, for the New Big East it is Villanova or nothing and mostly it’s nothing. Getting 6 bids is a fairly meaningless metric when they are all watching the sweet16 from their dorm rooms.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The Big East is Villanova. You are repeating exactly what I predicted. Lots of bids. Villanova has 2 national championships. The rest of the league has 2 sweet 16s. St John’s, Providence, Seton Hall et al are exactly what they have been for 2 decades. Nice little programs that have neither intent nor hope of doing anything in the post season. For UConn, whether you want to admit it or not, this move represented a step back for its athletic program from being a perennial national presence to a regional one. There are many reasons for that including a desire to focus on academics and decline in interest from younger alums and students in general but the biggest one is money and the failure of the Susie-Warde team to get us into the ACC when the opportunity arose. It is fine. But the likelihood of seeing another National Championship banner in Gampel is very slim. Once Geno retires it will be unlikely on that side as well.

I will say it again, though. Villanova is a major national power. Their success is no more a reflection on the quality of the New Big East than Gonzaga’s is a reflection of the quality of its conference. While major conferences can point to multiple teams making deep runs, even winning it all, for the New Big East it is Villanova or nothing and mostly it’s nothing. Getting 6 bids is a fairly meaningless metric when they are all watching the sweet16 from their dorm rooms.

So you're measure of a league isn't tourney bids, or national titles, but cumulative Sweet 16 appearances. Got it.

Reaction Score

Just because you keep repeating this on the basketball page, and now here, doesn’t make it true.

@freescooter is the definition of an idiot, CHB. Do not engage.

Reaction Score
I found this Nole take on the CFP and the AAC to be interesting:

"Watch how the AAC elevates after this is implemented. While they may not make as much as the other conferences, they will make enough now to be able to invest enough in football (if they are smart) to begin getting recruits that were leaving to some of the programs/conferences that relied on the AAC's recruiting footprint.

They have some schools in large cities and states in fertile recruiting areas. Orlando/Florida, Houston/Texas, Memphis/Tennessee, Cincinnati/Ohio, among other areas. Instead of some kids going to Iowa State, WVU, OkSU, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Missouri, Pitt, etc., they'll stay home at UCF, Houston, Memphis, Cincy, etc. Making decent rosters better.

Their contracts (network, bowl agreement and team apparel) contracts will improve with this playoff change. Add in the ability to make the playoffs and having some playoff games under their belts and they'll have more to sell to recruits. Recruits that will want to stay home, rather than go to the next best schools they can go to. Coaches may want to stay where they are too. And if you get the AAC schools like UCF with large fan bases even more interested, watch out.

Would you rather go to a bottom half major conference or a top half AAC school? Little chance of making the playoffs or a good chance?"

Reaction Score

"Watch how the AAC elevates after this is implemented. While they may not make as much as the other conferences, they will make enough now to be able to invest enough in football (if they are smart) to begin getting recruits that were leaving to some of the programs/conferences that relied on the AAC's recruiting footprint.

They have some schools in large cities and states in fertile recruiting areas. Orlando/Florida, Houston/Texas, Memphis/Tennessee, Cincinnati/Ohio, among other areas. Instead of some kids going to Iowa State, WVU, OkSU, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Missouri, Pitt, etc., they'll stay home at UCF, Houston, Memphis, Cincy, etc. Making decent rosters better.

Their contracts (network, bowl agreement and team apparel) contracts will improve with this playoff change. Add in the ability to make the playoffs and having some playoff games under their belts and they'll have more to sell to recruits. Recruits that will want to stay home, rather than go to the next best schools they can go to. Coaches may want to stay where they are too. And if you get the AAC schools like UCF with large fan bases even more interested, watch out.

Would you rather go to a bottom half major conference or a top half AAC school? Little chance of making the playoffs or a good chance?"
all of that could be true about increased money/TV/exposure...if Aresco hadn’t locked them into a horrible TV deal for foreseeable future

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

I have a rewrite...yes, maybe one of the schools in the AAC turns themselves into a clear Boise State, head and shoulders above it's AAC brethren. Maybe. Could be UCF, could be Houston, could be Cincy. While the playoff might help distribute more talent equally you have the other force in play which are the new state issued NIL rules. The new NIL rules might tilt things back the other way, especially to wherever boosters, tv money and zany fandom are strongest (ahem SEC & select other traditional powers).

I don't see enough in this new playoff format to make one G5 stand up and become the clear P6.

Last edited:

Husky25

Reaction Score
If conferences go to an unregulated league championship format (I.e. no divisions, or round robin,) and can basically pick their own CFP representative by way of CCG, the bottom feeders of the P5 may have the most to lose. For the ACC, those are basically the programs that destroyed the Big East. They may still have the money, but it doesn't seem to be going into the athletic departments. If they can't get out of the second division, they will lose the exposure, and thereby recruiting advantages.

UConn very well could be preferable to BC, Cuse, or Pitt.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So you're measure of a league isn't tourney bids, or national titles, but cumulative Sweet 16 appearances. Got it.
Bids are irrelevant if you can’t get past the first round. Good grief! What dose it prove if you get 6 bids and everybody goes home after the round of 32? It proves you aren’t that good.

Villanova at this point is so far above the rest of the league it is just incredible. Nobody has come close to challenging their dominance. This isn’t a pier conference where multiple teams had a shot at the national championship. It certainly isn’t the ACC which has had multiple different Final Four teams and multiple national champions. Or the Big 12 or Big 10 or SEC all of whom have sent multiple teams to the Final Four. It has had Villanova. That’s it. And for all those bids you like to brag about, 2 other teams have gone past the round of 32. Heck the ACC had 2 in the Final Four a couple of years ago. So did the SEC and the Big 10. Since the founding of the New Big East in 2014, Villanova has won it all twice. 3 different ACC teams have. If you don’t get the difference between depth and dominance I don’t know what to tell you. But perhaps an example will help. When 1 team continually is superior to the rest of its league, that is dominance. See Villanova and the new Big East. When multiple teams compete with each other year after year to be the best, and different ones win, that is an example of a league with depth. See the ACC. Do you see the difference now?

Reaction Score
If conferences go to an unregulated league championship format (I.e. no divisions, or round robin,) and can basically pick their own CFP representative by way of CCG, the bottom feeders of the P5 may have the most to lose. For the ACC, those are basically the programs that destroyed the Big East. They may still have the money, but it doesn't seem to be going into the athletic departments. If they can't get out of the second division, they will lose the exposure, and thereby recruiting advantages.

UConn very well could be preferable to BC, Cuse, Pitt, or Pitt.
I do think this is a real possibility for mid and lower tier P5 teams. And one has to wonder if there will come a point where greed takes over to the point where top teams decide they could do better not supporting the Vanderbilts and Wake Forests and Washington States and Kansases of the world and either cut them out entirely or share revenue based on performance.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Bids are irrelevant if you can’t get past the first round. Good grief! What dose it prove if you get 6 bids and everybody goes home after the round of 32? It proves you aren’t that good.

Villanova at this point is so far above the rest of the league it is just incredible. Nobody has come close to challenging their dominance. This isn’t a pier conference where multiple teams had a shot at the national championship. It certainly isn’t the ACC which has had multiple different Final Four teams and multiple national champions. Or the Big 12 or Big 10 or SEC all of whom have sent multiple teams to the Final Four. It has had Villanova. That’s it. And for all those bids you like to brag about, 2 other teams have gone past the round of 32. Heck the ACC had 2 in the Final Four a couple of years ago. So did the SEC and the Big 10. Since the founding of the New Big East in 2014, Villanova has won it all twice. 3 different ACC teams have. If you don’t get the difference between depth and dominance I don’t know what to tell you. But perhaps an example will help. When 1 team continually is superior to the rest of its league, that is dominance. See Villanova and the new Big East. When multiple teams compete with each other year after year to be the best, and different ones win, that is an example of a league with depth. See the ACC. Do you see the difference now?

So now final fours matter? Got it.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I do think this is a real possibility for mid and lower tier P5 teams. And one has to wonder if there will come a point where greed takes over to the point where top teams decide they could do better not supporting the Vanderbilts and Wake Forests and Washington States and Kansases of the world and either cut them out entirely or share revenue based on performance.
They can't cut them out entirely.

Clemson needs BC, Cuse, Duke, NCSt, FSU, etc. to go 12-0. Kansas carries the Big XII in basketball. Vandy gives the SEC academic credibility. Issuing what amounts to win-shares would only widen the gaps between the haves and havenots.

Reaction Score
I suspect the real winners, as usual, will be the SEC and Big Ten...who will get multiple teams into the playoffs...

Reaction Score

And if we are being honest a bad basketball team too. Too many people blamed the league for UConn’s own failure.

Reaction Score
So now final fours matter? Got it.
Stop being intentionally obtuse. Bids don’t matter much. Leagues and teams get over rated all the time and it shows when the tournament begins. This year the Big 10 was overrated but it is typically very good. The power leagues have multiple teams that are capable of running deep. Duke, UNC Duke have all won it. UNC and Syracuse also went to the Final Four. Multiple Big 10 teams went to the Final Four. As did SEC and Big 12 teams. Since 2014 when the NBE began, Villanova won titles. Who else got to a Final Four? 0. 1 Elite 8, 2 Sweet 16s. Compare that with the power conferences. Try to imagine how people would rate the NBE without Villanova. Then look at the ACC without Duke. Hmm. The ACC still has UNC, Virginia not to mention Syracuse, maybe FSU. Now think of the NBE without Villanova. You have??? Well Creighton and Xavier have both made it past the first weekend one time so there is that I guess. And of course Seton Hall. Everyone fears the Hall. The Duke of northern New Jersey I think they call them. Look the New Big East is a nice league. Better than the A10 and right now better than the AAC. But it isn’t a power league. If it were a country it would be England. Once a great power. Now it could probably beat Argentina but it lost its empire. Same with the NBE.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom