Men - Wins needed for a 2023 NCAA At - Large bid | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Men Wins needed for a 2023 NCAA At - Large bid

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
People are not making downward portrayals. People are merely pointing out that playing 3 games against Butler is going to make a material negative impact on our RPI. Unfortunately, that's a matter of fact, not opinion. We have to win games, see where our RPI ends up and then we'll see what the Committee does.
I think what is so troubling is the counter intuitive results in that were the season to end today we would have a better opportunity to host than if we went undefeated for the rest of our schedule.

Reaction Score

Alternate access link <<

-> “The fact these guys have put us in a position to even talk about that is an accomplishment,” Penders said. “In the Northeast, it’s amazing. We’ve played ourselves into that position. What it would mean in the state of Connecticut, you see, right now, we’re being swarmed (by young autograph seekers) in a postgame interview, and to think about what it would be like in a Regional, how many thousands of people would be trying to get to Storrs, Conn,, to see the Huskies. I think it would be something the whole state could rally around and get excited about.”<-

Another Penders quote from this article about the team this season:

<“It’s probably the best defensive team, overall, I’ve ever had,” Penders said. “Offensively, I think there’s another gear we can hit, and that’s frightening to think about if you’re our opponents. Pitching wise, the bullpen has really stepped out, the starting rotation is a work in progress. But I like our chances against anybody in the country right now, the way we’re playing.”>

Reaction Score
People are not making downward portrayals. People are merely pointing out that playing 3 games against Butler is going to make a material negative impact on our RPI. Unfortunately, that's a matter of fact, not opinion. We have to win games, see where our RPI ends up and then we'll see what the Committee does.
The negative portrayal was striclty directed at the D1Baseball crew and their host projections.

Also, this so called RPI cliff we are about to run off is over blown. If you look at the predicted results on Warren Nolan, even including the Butler RPI impacts we are now porjected to be 14 (up from 17 yesterday). That is my main gripe right now. D1Baseball keeps pushing the narrative that we wont host because are going to bomb in the RPI over the next two weeks when I think that is being over played. WarrenNolan has us going 5-3 (Hostfra W, Butler WWW, URI W, Creighton LLL) and still being 14th overall.

Reaction Score
Anyone else think we should be making a phone call to URI? Their RPI has taken a nose dive to the 200's.

Props to Hofstra. They were in the 250 range, I want to say at least a month into the season, and have cut that in half.

Reaction Score
The negative portrayal was striclty directed at the D1Baseball crew and their host projections.

Also, this so called RPI cliff we are about to run off is over blown. If you look at the predicted results on Warren Nolan, even including the Butler RPI impacts we are now porjected to be 14 (up from 17 yesterday). That is my main gripe right now. D1Baseball keeps pushing the narrative that we wont host because are going to bomb in the RPI over the next two weeks when I think that is being over played. WarrenNolan has us going 5-3 (Hostfra W, Butler WWW, URI W, Creighton LLL) and still being 14th overall.

It’s all over the board depending on when I open it… Connecticut Baseball Predicted Results Scores & RPI | WarrenNolan.com

Now it has us winning the first one in Creighton to end the season on a 6-2 run w/ a predicted RPI of 19 w/ a non-conference Strength of Schedule @ 27.

Numbers are gonna be what they are… boys just need to take care of business in front of them.

Reaction Score
Be nice to get some help from conference mates along the way:

Creighton playing Nebraska today - Creighton won the continuation of a previously postponed game 6-5 and are now starting the second game of the day.

Reaction Score
Creighton/Nebraska is on CBSSN. Top of the 5th Creighton leading 3 to 2.

Reaction Score
I think what is so troubling is the counter intuitive results in that were the season to end today we would have a better opportunity to host than if we went undefeated for the rest of our schedule.
I get that. But that’s how RPIs work wherever they are used in college pigskin or hoops. It’s why those who create them make clear that they’re not meant to reflect small changes that occur from game to game —they’re only meant to compare what a team accomplishes in terms of wins and losses over the complete season.

Reaction Score
Regarding Uconn's non-conference scheduling over the last 2-3 years, I think (opinion) Penders has leaned more toward the volume approach on wins rather than loading up SOS. Remember in 2019 they opened up with Louisville who was in top 5 then played Charleston, Coastal, Illinois (were good then), Virginia, Michigan St etc. It was a true gauntlet. And they weren't even in the Big East yet. That AAC schedule was brutal too. Looks like they are going with the lower degree of difficulty/high execution approach (wins). Seems to be working in terms of getting into the tourney but let's see if the next step is obtained. Last year's seeding and placement was troubling but one year doesn't make a trend. My point is there seems to be a change in approach to non-conference scheduling that's occurred recently and there are pluses and minuses. If this has been raised previously apologize for the repeat.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Regarding Uconn's non-conference scheduling over the last 2-3 years, I think (opinion) Penders has leaned more toward the volume approach on wins rather than loading up SOS. Remember in 2019 they opened up with Louisville who was in top 5 then played Charleston, Coastal, Illinois (were good then), Virginia, Michigan St etc. It was a true gauntlet. And they weren't even in the Big East yet. That AAC schedule was brutal too. Looks like they are going with the lower degree of difficulty/high execution approach (wins). Seems to be working in terms of getting into the tourney but let's see if the next step is obtained. Last year's seeding and placement was troubling but one year doesn't make a trend. My point is there seems to be a change in approach to non-conference scheduling that's occurred recently and there are pluses and minuses. If this has been raised previously apologize for the repeat.
Yea the OOC scheduling is so hard to predict. Its usually booked 1-3 years ahead for the early South/West trips so you have to hope those teams are still trending up in their own RPI/brand to help our SOS both in the RPI and on the "eye test". So I wouldnt say Penders is shying away from the competition necessarily but yes its not like we are going to take 3 pay to play weekends to start the season at top SEC teams.

The one other factor in terms of your volume comment is that the Big East only has 8 teams and 7 weekends of conference play. (Old Big East was a 9 weekends and 27 games and the American was 8 weekends for 24 games). That leaves 35 non conference games and two extra weekends for non conference matchups. Chris Jones has also mentioned that is been challenging for us to either get quality opponents to come play us at home or even sometimes get us to visit them becuase we are a tough team. Rutgers was a good example of benefitting both teams (after Rutgers didnt make the field a few years ago) but not many other bigger name teams have been willing to take us on.

Reaction Score
Yea the OOC scheduling is so hard to predict. Its usually booked 1-3 years ahead for the early South/West trips so you have to hope those teams are still trending up in their own RPI/brand to help our SOS both in the RPI and on the "eye test". So I wouldnt say Penders is shying away from the competition necessarily but yes its not like we are going to take 3 pay to play weekends to start the season at top SEC teams.

The one other factor in terms of your volume comment is that the Big East only has 8 teams and 7 weekends of conference play. (Old Big East was a 9 weekends and 27 games and the American was 8 weekends for 24 games). That leaves 35 non conference games and two extra weekends for non conference matchups. Chris Jones has also mentioned that is been challenging for us to either get quality opponents to come play us at home or even sometimes get us to visit them becuase we are a tough team. Rutgers was a good example of benefitting both teams (after Rutgers didnt make the field a few years ago) but not many other bigger name teams have been willing to take us on.
Yes, agreed. If anyone has a minute or 2 go look at Uconn's 2019 schedule on their website. I just did. Absolutely incredibly brutal. They went 36-23 and didn't win the AAC tourney (got shellacked by Cincy) but made the NCAAs as a #2 seed in the regional (yes a 2). Compare that to last year. I'm not sure there's the horsepower there to host a regional given the current schedule construct. We'll see. I remain hopeful.

Reaction Score

-> The host line continues to shuffle, as this week Boston College, Clemson and Kentucky join the hosts. BC and Connecticut continue to flip flop in these projections, but the Eagles' win at Wake Forest last weekend gave them an important ACC win and RPI boost.<-

Brighton, Mass.
1. (16) Boston College^
2. Connecticut*
3. Northeastern*
4. Army*

Reaction Score

Yes, agreed. If anyone has a minute or 2 go look at Uconn's 2019 schedule on their website. I just did. Absolutely incredibly brutal. They went 36-23 and didn't win the AAC tourney (got shellacked by Cincy) but made the NCAAs as a #2 seed in the regional (yes a 2). Compare that to last year. I'm not sure there's the horsepower there to host a regional given the current schedule construct. We'll see. I remain hopeful.

No question about the out of confernce scheduling being so hard to predict. The UConn coaching staff is certainly not shying away from quality opponents, but in the last couple of years a number of teams that UConn have had their schedule have fallen off the wagon in terms of their RPI. For instance, Rhode Island has been much lower in terms of their RPI then they have been through the years. There are a bunch of other examples of this as well on the UConn schedule. But as is said above, scheduling for future seasons is done up to a few years in advance, but there are always being changes made as time progresses.

I do know from what I have heard that UConn baseball is trying to upgrade the out of conference schedule for future seasons. I have heard of quality teams being added to future schedules, both home and away, teams that will certainly please UConn fans.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
No question about the out of confernce scheduling being so hard to predict. The UConn coaching staff is certainly not shying away from quality opponents, but in the last couple of years a number of teams that UConn have had their schedule have fallen off the wagon in terms of their RPI. For instance, Rhode Island has been much lower in terms of their RPI then they have been through the years. There are a bunch of other examples of this as well on the UConn schedule. But as is said above, scheduling for future seasons is done up to a few years in advance, but there are always being changes made as time progresses.

I do know from what I have heard that UConn baseball is trying to upgrade the out of conference schedule for future seasons. I have heard of quality teams being added to future schedules, both home and away, teams that will certainly please UConn fans.

I know we play series at Rutgers and Cal next year, and Vandy at Dodger Stadium in 2025.

I’d like to see more teams like Rutgers come to Storrs as part of a home & home. WVU, Maryland, etc would be fun. As always, weather would be a factor.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score

-> The host line continues to shuffle, as this week Boston College, Clemson and Kentucky join the hosts. BC and Connecticut continue to flip flop in these projections, but the Eagles' win at Wake Forest last weekend gave them an important ACC win and RPI boost.<-

Brighton, Mass.
1. (16) Boston College^
2. Connecticut*
3. Northeastern*
4. Army*

We would have lots of fans there.

In terms of advancing, hosting would be optimal in this scenario…not so much because of home field, but rather because playing Army is far easier than Northwestern.

Reaction Score

Brighton, Mass.
1. (16) Boston College^
2. Connecticut*
3. Northeastern*
4. Army*

D1Baseball view - both host:

STORRS
1 Connecticut* (16)
4 Central Conn. State*
2 Virginia
3 Auburn

BRIGHTON
1 Boston College (14)
4 Harvard*
2 Oregon State
3 Northeastern

-> In terms of new hosts in the 9-16 range, Dallas Baptist, Indiana State and Oregon are out this week, while Clemson, Kentucky and Connecticut are in as hosts. Clemson is one of the hottest teams in college baseball and the RPI is well within range, Kentucky is sitting at one in the RPI and UConn is back up to 17 in the RPI.<-

Reaction Score
12 - 5 / .706% ........ 11 - 6 / .647% - National
7 - 1 / .875. ......... 7 - 1/ .875- Northeast
11 - 3/ .786....... 15 - 5/ .750 - Big East

6 - 2 / .750......... 7 - 2 / .770- New England
0 - 0 / .000 ......... 2 - 2 / .500 - Big East tourney

Post season Criteria
(1) 36 - 11/ .766% ..... 42 - 16 / .724
(2) 16..... < 50 RPI
(3) 1st ........ Top 2 Big East

Reaction Score
Does Butler's RPI go up when we play them? My only other concern is 3 road games against a tough team right before the BE Tourney in Ohio.

Reaction Score
Quick question about hosting.....If I remember correctly the #16 seed would host but would be placed in the Super Regional opposite the #1 Seed and on the road at their place to for the next series for the chance to advance to the CWS. If this is the case I am not sure we are not better off as a mid 20 seed facing the number 7 or 8 seed. If we were to win that and the 2 or 3 seed in the other bracket were to win we would host the Super Regional.

Reaction Score
Quick question about hosting.....If I remember correctly the #16 seed would host but would be placed in the Super Regional opposite the #1 Seed and on the road at their place to for the next series for the chance to advance to the CWS. If this is the case I am not sure we are not better off as a mid 20 seed facing the number 7 or 8 seed. If we were to win that and the 2 or 3 seed in the other bracket were to win we would host the Super Regional.
That is the way the seeding works out for super regionals however, my opinion is still that hosting would be best regardless of the alignment for supers. Hosting gives the best chance of at least advancing to super regionals and I think you worry about the super regional matchup when you get there. Long term, hosting a regional is a boost for the fan base and profile of the team locally as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom