Men - Wins needed for a 2023 NCAA At - Large bid | The Boneyard

Men Wins needed for a 2023 NCAA At - Large bid

Reaction Score
Here we go again. Another year of following UConn Baseball is right around the corner. I believe our starting lineup will be formidable, led by some of our returning players like Huber, Smith and Morton. We have all of our weekend starting pitchers to replace. But I have confidence that with all our options, we will be fine. We always seem to have a few players that have a breakout seasons. Looking forward to seeing who they will be.

As always , I would like to thank everyone that posts during the off season. I read every post, and it keeps me informed. Also for those that update games live. Please keep it up. I greatly appreciate it, and I am sure others do also.

I may be wrong , but our schedule this year looks a slight more difficult. Unfortunately being in the Big East, we need all the RPI help we can get. I raised the minimum wins needed to 43 (up from 40). Partly because of the extra games we are playing, and partly because of being in Big East. If we do not win the Big East tournament, we would need an exceptional record to get an at large bid.

I broke our schedule down into 5 (instead of 4) categories. The extra category is the Northeast ( Rutgers, UMBC, LIU, Columbia and Hofstra). If any of you review the schedule and see discrepancies or if you have any questions, please let me know.

I am anticipating another successful and fun season following UConn baseball. can't wait for season to begin.

Go Huskies!!!

The 3 Criteria
(1) Minimum 43 wins
(2) RPI less then 50
(3) Top 2 teams in Big East

current record........... season goal
0 - 0 / .000% ........ 12 - 6 / .667% - National
0 - 0 / .000 ......... 6 - 3 / .667 - Northeast
0 - 0 / .000 ......... 15 - 6 / .714 - Big East regular season
0 - 0 / .000 ......... 8 - 2 / .800 - New England
0 - 0 / .000 ......... 2 - 2 / .500 - Big East tourney

Post season Criteria
(1) 0 - 0 / .000 ...... 43 - 19 / .693

(2) Not yet Applicable ....... < 50 RPI

(3) Not yet applicable ........ Top 2 Big East

Reaction Score
Here we go again. Another year of following UConn Baseball is right around the corner. I believe our starting lineup will be formidable, led by some of our returning players like Huber, Smith and Morton. We have all of our weekend starting pitchers to replace. But I have confidence that with all our options, we will be fine. We always seem to have a few players that have a breakout seasons. Looking forward to seeing who they will be.

As always , I would like to thank everyone that posts during the off season. I read every post, and it keeps me informed. Also for those that update games live. Please keep it up. I greatly appreciate it, and I am sure others do also.

I may be wrong , but our schedule this year looks a slight more difficult. Unfortunately being in the Big East, we need all the RPI help we can get. I raised the minimum wins needed to 43 (up from 40). Partly because of the extra games we are playing, and partly because of being in Big East. If we do not win the Big East tournament, we would need an exceptional record to get an at large bid.

I broke our schedule down into 5 (instead of 4) categories. The extra category is the Northeast ( Rutgers, UMBC, LIU, Columbia and Hofstra). If any of you review the schedule and see discrepancies or if you have any questions, please let me know.

I am anticipating another successful and fun season following UConn baseball. can't wait for season to begin.

Go Huskies!!!

The 3 Criteria
(1) Minimum 43 wins
(2) RPI less then 50
(3) Top 2 teams in Big East

0 - 0 / .000% ........ 12 - 6 / .667% - National

Post season Criteria
(1) 0 - 0 / .000 ...... 43 - 19 / .693

Ah, this thread is further proof that that season is approaching.

Reaction Score
I think based upon last year, 45 wins is a conservative floor to get into tourney as an at large. If we lost in the BE tourney last year, we were out. Not sure our SOS will be much better this year.

Reaction Score
They lost 9 games to northern teams last year and would have been left out. If they were to lose the 13 above, that would spell trouble. Just my 2 cents - great to get an early start JoeT!

Reaction Score
Like I say
They lost 9 games to northern teams last year and would have been left out. If they were to lose the 13 above, that would spell trouble. Just my 2 cents - great to get an early start JoeT!
I appreciate your comments Rdkid, and you may be 100% correct. Like I say every year, this chart is not perfect. But from my past research and past experience with chart, it comes relatively close to what we need to accomplish.
It is unfortunate that for the most part the Big East is a 1 team NCCA tournament league. That is why I raised win total to 43. In the past (almost exclusively) if you win 40 games and have a RPI of less then 50, you get an At Large bid. That is regardless of league you are in.

I really enjoy updating the chart and I hope others find it interesting.

Go Huskies!!!!

Reaction Score
Looking forward to the season starting in under 2 weeks. Hope to be there on the 20th. Is that game still in Port Charlotte or somewhere else?

My biggest question is catching. I would expect Garbowski to start the season catching.

Reaction Score
Hard to focus early on RPI because there is no way to know whether the Big East will get better at winning OOC games, which helps everyone. We need it to be better than it was last year to be confident we can get in as an at large, if necessary.

But for now, all you can do is go out, play good ball and win games.

Reaction Score
Hard to focus early on RPI because there is no way to know whether the Big East will get better at winning OOC games, which helps everyone. We need it to be better than it was last year to be confident we can get in as an at large, if necessary.

But for now, all you can do is go out, play good ball and win games.

Big East teams winning out of conference games would certainly improve the possibility of a possible NCAA tourney at large bid. The other thing to remember is that UConn's out of conference teams on the schedule last year pretty much all had an RPI collapse last season, most of them doing far worse than those teams have done in recent history. Hopefully that does not repeat itself this season as well.

Reaction Score
I apologize for not updating chart sooner. Been a tough week for a few reasons, but I will update after each game from now on. I was really hoping to win our final game last weekend, to get to 3-1. But opening 2-2 is not terrible. Great come from behind , gutty win last night. I thought it was a loss, when I fell asleep. But pleasantly surprised with the victory.

A little concerned with our pitching so far. Hopefully with the many options we have, we will settle in and find a group of pitchers we can rely on. We were spoiled with last years pitchers throwing strikes and keeping walks to a minimum. So far we have given up way to many walks (especially our relievers). We really need to improve on that as the year goes on. Feel like our offense is going to score runs. Would love to see us cut down on our strike outs.

As I stated in my original post, we need to have an exceptional record for us to get an At Large bid. So these early games are extremely important to get as many wins as possible.

Lets win the series today.

Go Huskies !!!!!!

3 - 2 / .600% ........ 12 - 6 / .667% - National

Post season Criteria
(1) 3 - 2 / .600 ...... 43 - 19 / .693

Reaction Score
Our offense did little yesterday, but a decent performance from our pitchers (especially Quigley). I would like to see Ryan Daniels get a start, I really feel he can help our offense. A win today would be big, to get us a weekend series win. Still very early in season, but hoping we can get on a bit of a run soon. I am not going to post RPI until we get past 4 weekends into the season. Even at that point it may not be very relevant.

Go Huskies !!!

3 - 3 / .500% ........ 12 - 6 / .667% - National

Post season Criteria
(1) 3 - 3 / .500 ...... 43 - 19 / .693

Reaction Score
Our offense did little yesterday, but a decent performance from our pitchers (especially Quigley). I would like to see Ryan Daniels get a start, I really feel he can help our offense. A win today would be big, to get us a weekend series win. Still very early in season, but hoping we can get on a bit of a run soon. I am not going to post RPI until we get past 4 weekends into the season. Even at that point it may not be very relevant.

Go Huskies !!!

Post season Criteria

A good decision on the RPI, as it just doesn't register all that well this early in the season. In the past D1Baseball.com has not posted team RPI's on their website until some point in the second half of March.

Reaction Score

Go Huskies !!!

Post season Criteria

Bryan Padilla is off to a slow start with the bat, hitting .185 through the first 6 games, and with 10 strikeouts and no walks in 27 at bats. Padilla also did not not hit well on the Cape during summer ball last year. Not sure how well he did during fall ball and preseason. I would think if Padilla continues to slump, either Ryan Daniels or Paul Tamarro could indeed see some playing time at shortstop in place of Padilla. It will be interesting to see how long the coaching staff will wait and make a decision to possibly eat into Padilla's playing time.

Reaction Score
Bryan Padilla is off to a slow start with the bat, hitting .185 through the first 6 games, and with 10 strikeouts and no walks in 27 at bats. Padilla also did not not hit well on the Cape during summer ball last year. Not sure how well he did during fall ball and preseason. I would think if Padilla continues to slump, either Ryan Daniels or Paul Tamarro could indeed see some playing time at shortstop in place of Padilla. It will be interesting to see how long the coaching staff will wait and make a decision to possibly eat into Padilla's playing time.
catchers are also 1 for 19 to start the year. Maybe try Freeberger back there and let Daniels or Tammaro at third or let both play and sit Padilla too

Reaction Score
I could be wrong, but I suspect that Freeberger would only be used at catcher in an emergency situation or if the other available catchers had been pinched hit for or had been taken out for a pinch runner.

catchers are also 1 for 19 to start the year. Maybe try Freeberger back there and let Daniels or Tammaro at third or let both play and sit Padilla too

Reaction Score
Bryan Padilla is off to a slow start with the bat, hitting .185 through the first 6 games, and with 10 strikeouts and no walks in 27 at bats. Padilla also did not not hit well on the Cape during summer ball last year. Not sure how well he did during fall ball and preseason. I would think if Padilla continues to slump, either Ryan Daniels or Paul Tamarro could indeed see some playing time at shortstop in place of Padilla. It will be interesting to see how long the coaching staff will wait and make a decision to possibly eat into Padilla's playing time
dbmill posted what a lot of us (or at least I) have been thinking. Padilla is on the hot seat in my opinion. Also, defensively his arm is average-ish at the D1 level. Love the kid and he jumped in admirably last year but need to face the hard facts. All that being said I have not seen enough of Tamarro to opine. Have watched Daniels several times pre-Uconn and my gut tells me it's only a matter of time before he's in the lineup this year. Don't want to press the panic button on the offense but Penders has options and those options need to be explored when conditions warrant (which Penders has always done).

Reaction Score
Always nice to start weekend with a Friday victory, especially over a very good FAU team. Good pitching from Cooke and Willis, and good to see Huber's hitting performance. Would love to win the series today.

Go Huskies !!!

4 - 3 / .571% ........ 12 - 6 / .667% - National

Post season Criteria
(1) 4 - 3 / .571 ...... 43 - 19 / .693

Reaction Score
Great win yesterday, highlighted by our pitching performance. Quigley last night and Cooke on Friday really stepped up, versus a very strong FAU batting order. I am bias because he is a fellow St. Paul grad, but really like what I see in Ryan Daniels. If given more of an opportunity , I believe he has potential to be a big asset to batting order.

If someone told me in middle of week we would win 2 games this weekend, I would have taken it. Now getting a little greedy, lets get a sweep.

Go Huskies !!!

5 - 3 / .625% ........ 12 - 6 / .667% - National

Post season Criteria
(1) 5 - 3 / .625 ...... 43 - 19 / .693

Reaction Score
A good decision on the RPI, as it just doesn't register all that well this early in the season. In the past D1Baseball.com has not posted team RPI's on their website until some point in the second half of March.

D1Baseball.com now has a note on their website saying that they won't start post team RPI's until March 13.

Reaction Score
Rutgers has struggled in the early season. Was hoping they would boost the RPI. Rutgers on the way to being swept by UNC Greensboro. If they don’t make a comeback Rutgers will be 3-7.

Reaction Score
We sweep a good FAU team this weekend to get us to 6-3 and Green below for first time this year. Very impressed by our pitching staff. FAU was averaging over 9 runs a game , prior to this weekend. We gave up only 7 runs in 3 games, which is outstanding. Our bats did enough when needed this weekend, But I am waiting for them to really break out. I think it is just a matter of time.

Get to see some more of our pitching depth vs Hartford Tuesday, then off to Hawaii for 4 games. Hawaii just beat Maryland 9 - 3, and has a record of 6-4. So this should be an interesting week.

Lets keep the winning streak going.

Go Huskies !!!

6 - 3 / .667% ........ 12 - 6 / .667% - National

Post season Criteria
(1) 6 - 3 / .667 ...... 43 - 19 / .693