Williams should play. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Williams should play.

Reaction Score
I really believe KO didn’t play him cuz he don’t want him being exposed on the court but now with 3 games left play him, matter fact start him, and I bet he won’t make it pass the 15 min mark , cuz of the 2 dumb fouls he’s gonna pick up .. I’m just going off this year when MD started boom back on the bench 3 fouls in half, Whaley 2 quick ones, DO too but at least he’s clapping and have a good spirit about it ... then where will ppl turn to now ..... can’t wait to see how things unfold after the season ...

Reaction Score
I really believe KO didn’t play him cuz he don’t want him being exposed on the court but now with 3 games left play him, matter fact start him, and I bet he won’t make it pass the 15 min mark , cuz of the 2 dumb fouls he’s gonna pick up .. I’m just going off this year when MD started boom back on the bench 3 fouls in half, Whaley 2 quick ones, DO too but at least he’s clapping and have a good spirit about it ... then where will ppl turn to now ..... can’t wait to see how things unfold after the season ...

This makes no sense. What your saying is Ollie didn't want to play Williams more than 2 minutes a game because he was afraid of dumb fouls. If thats the case then no bigs would play Carlton included. Your theory makes Ollie look dumb.

Exposed? Uconn is now a zone team and and each player has been exposed. Teams light us up and have been all season so he would just join the rest but also rebound and play with toughness which neither Whaley or Polley have.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
He didn't get more PT because he has less skill than the starting players. What he does bring is energy and relentless rebounding effort and we haven't seen much of that.
Less skill than DO? Less skill than Whaley? My fear is that the former is allergic to rebounding and the latter is just too brittle to tussle for a rebound or loose ball.

Reaction Score
Would like to give Whaley, Williams, Polley, Vital and Jalen the start this week.

I would replace Whaley with Carlton. I think Carlton has shown he knows how position and ask for the ball. He lacks strength and needs to learn to box out better but I see him as being the best of these bigs and the experience is important.

Reaction Score
I've trying this for almost a month. Some progress, but a lot of posters aren't very coachable. It's the best way we (Boneyarders) can close out the season.
You need to be terminated. Your one job is to get the boneyard to play nice and now your saying some are uncoachable. I do not care what your buyout is you need to be gone!

Reaction Score
Carlton has some things to work with, seems to have nice hands and decent footwork but he has been seriously overrated on this board. He has some decent skills but he's not so overly skilled to make up for his total lack of explosiveness and strength. If you just read some of the comments here without seeing him play you may think people are describing a young Okafor or something.

I don't mean to single him out because the whole team is such a mess but the praise has been over the top. We've even had some posters say they want to build the team around him.

Reaction Score
I was not suggesting Carlton is an Okafor but I was suggesting he has dhown the most potential of the young bigs.

Reaction Score
I was not suggesting Carlton is an Okafor but I was suggesting he has dhown the most potential of the young bigs.
I wasn't referring to you, just saw his name and it reminded me of how many over the top Carlton proclamations I've seen. Your comment wasn't at all over the top and I agree he's probably our best big man.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Anyone else remember a thread on how Williams was not A legitimate D – 1 player, and on how Ollie’s recruitment of him was a joke?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Would like to give Whaley, Williams, Polley, Vital and Jalen the start this week.

Then on the weekend against Houston I would like to see the biggest blizzard in Texas history and our guys just can’t get there.:eek:

Sorry, mau. Long range forecast for Houston on Sunday...temp in 70's with 60 percent chance of rain, starting around 1 p.m. At least the rain might keep a few Cougar High fans at home.

Flooding would be a much more likely scenario to prevent arrival...whole city underwater. Pray for an apocalyptic rain event.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Anyone else remember a thread on how Williams was not A legitimate D – 1 player, and on how Ollie’s recruitment of him was a joke?

The thread wasn't wrong... KW is a youtube dunker. The issue is the players on our team are worse.

Reaction Score
I would replace Whaley with Carlton. I think Carlton has shown he knows how position and ask for the ball. He lacks strength and needs to learn to box out better but I see him as being the best of these bigs and the experience is important.

We aren't far apart but I believe Whaley will be a player, better feet, long arms, explosion and will get stronger. Carlton the better scorer Whaley the better defender/rebounder/shot blocker by year 3. Think both can contribute but again, unlike what most believe, much is on them to put in the time to be as good as they want to be. Summer is huge for both.

Good news for both, there is a pretty nice understanding of the game minus the moving damn screens and fouls LOL... the defense and help/hedge is there for both and we haven't had many very good at that lately.

Reaction Score
Less skill than DO? Less skill than Whaley? My fear is that the former is allergic to rebounding and the latter is just too brittle to tussle for a rebound or loose ball.
Less skill than Whaley but to find less skill than DO you would have to go national or maybe a Y league.
Watch KW on defense the next game. He has trouble closing out on his man. He works hard but lacks foot quickness guarding 1 on 1. What he brings is intensity and the desire to rebound and that is something lacking on this team. Like hitting in baseball, intensity is contagious and we saw that on our run in the Memphis game. He should start the next game but never be on the floor at the same time with Diarra and Onorah.
I'd go with Carlton, Williams and Polly (on a short leash) in the front court with Jalen and Vital.

Reaction Score
FWIW, Williams still has by far the worst +/- on the team on a per minute basis.

He brings energy and has upside, so I’m all for giving him minutes. But I also don’t think it’s as egregious as some are making it out to be for a coach on the hot seat to not play him too much.

Playing DO at all is something I don’t agree with at this point.

Reaction Score
Carlton has some things to work with, seems to have nice hands and decent footwork but he has been seriously overrated on this board. He has some decent skills but he's not so overly skilled to make up for his total lack of explosiveness and strength. If you just read some of the comments here without seeing him play you may think people are describing a young Okafor or something.

I don't mean to single him out because the whole team is such a mess but the praise has been over the top. We've even had some posters say they want to build the team around him.
Carlton looks like a poor man's Enoch to me.

Reaction Score
Carlton: 4.6 PTS, 50.5% FG, 3.8 REB, 0.8 BLK, 103 ORtg
Per 40: 11.7 PTS, 9.7 REB, 2.0 BLK

Enoch (total): 2.5 PTS, 44.9% FG, 1.9 REB, 0.3 BLK, 90.2 ORtg
Per 40: 10.5 PTS, 7.9 REB, 1.4 BLK

Enoch is a better athlete, but he was clearly the worse player of the 2 (on both ends), and that’s with an extra year under his belt.

Reaction Score
Sorry, mau. Long range forecast for Houston on Sunday...temp in 70's with 60 percent chance of rain, starting around 1 p.m. At least the rain might keep a few Cougar High fans at home.

Flooding would be a much more likely scenario to prevent arrival...whole city underwater. Pray for an apocalyptic rain event.

Well Nick floods turn to tragedies so I will just settle for a good ole can o'whoop a** here and keep everyone but KO safe.:eek:

Reaction Score

He's not as athletic but he's smarter and knows his way around the basket a lot better. His defense isn't very good but it's also better. Think for a frosh right now he's better, the other guys ceiling should be higher but who knows, he did little to improve while here.

Reaction Score
Enoch had Facey and Brimah. Carlton is on his own. Enoch got many good looks but he could not make shots last year as the stat line above showed. Carlton has a huge upside with the right coaching and team offensive system. Right now Williams has the ability to get to the ball and take it. For that he has great quickness and natural instincts and his passing is not bad either. I will have to watch his D more if Ollie lets him play. Polley and Whaley need to work like crazy this summer in the weight room and on skill development which means not just playing pickup games all summer.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Well Nick floods turn to tragedies so I will just settle for a good ole can o'whoop a** here and keep everyone but KO safe.:eek:

A blizzard would be a bigger disaster than flooding in Houston. They have lots of experience with floods. My car once came close to becoming a small boat, just from thunderstorms that began about three hours earlier. They have zero experience with blizzards, except perhaps the year Krakatoa erupted in the late 1800's.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
As far as I am concerned it really doesn't matter what bigs or combination of bigs you throw out there this year.
The newbies won't last due to ridiculous fouls just trying to keep up with the men they play against.
The older UConn players are not polished enough to keep up with some Jr High teams
Serviceable Bigs - this team has none this year. In a few years I think some of the newbies will be good to very good. You can't ask them to compete with guys who are bigger, faster, stronger and more skilled.
Maybe just divide the games in quarters and stick them out there knowing they have 15 minutes to shine or foul out.

Reaction Score

The thread wasn't wrong... KW is a youtube dunker. The issue is the players on our team are worse.

So we have no legit D-1 players?

I find that hard to believe.

If you would have switched coaches yesterday, I think that (given a season with these guys) Tubby Smith would have still beaten KO if they switched players.

As for KW, I think he's definitely D-1. He's green.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

So we have no legit D-1 players?

I find that hard to believe.

If you would have switched coaches yesterday, I think that (given a season with these guys) Tubby Smith would have still beaten KO if they switched players.

As for KW, I think he's definitely D-1. He's green.

So the standard for you is just be D1? Well Quinnipiac is D1... So not sure of the point you're trying to make.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom