Will UConn Sign a Polish Player? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Will UConn Sign a Polish Player?

Reaction Score
UCONN also needs another guard to add to the rotation next year as well.

Totally agree. I think they could use two.

Geno can’t give a breather to CD or CW against top teams. So need another talented guard to rotate in. Then can play more of an attacking, pressing D with three guards.

That’s missing this year and it’s a part of the reason they’re playing so much zone. Have to stay out of foul trouble and save the starters legs this year.

A second guard I see as necessary insurance in case of an injury. Not to mention CD will be a senior next year.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
As mentioned above, Anna (Ania) Makurat plays for Arka Gdynia in Poland's premier women's basketball league. AG is currently is 2nd place; the first place team, CCC Polkowice, includes some familiar names: Tiffany Hayes, Jasmine Thomas and Tami Fagbenle.

I've had a chance to watch a few of Anna's games over the past month. She is currently starting and playing more minutes because of the injury to Rebecca Allen. With more time on the court her production has improved, particularly her 3-point shooting. Her most recent game was mentioned, a 16-point, 8-rebound, 4 assist game against Jordin Canada's team. On Feb 3rd, Anna made 6 three pointers in a loss to a team with Ariel Atkins and Sharnee Zoll. AG plays on Saturdays (10 or 11 EST) and the games are typically shown live on youtube. BTW, AG is a team that has been around for several years. Some alumni include former Huskies Sales, Montgomery and Swanier, as well as notables such as Catchings, Holdsclaw and Beard.

Anna plays guard/wing for AG. She can play the point but I don't think that's her strongest position. She has good size and seems to be a good 3-point shooter. As I mentioned, her accuracy is improving after a slow start. She has great court vision and is an excellent passer, sometimes with some flare. I've seen no evidence of a mid-range game, but she will take the ball to the basket. She's a really smart player, seemingly beyond her years. She's unafraid and wants the ball in big moments. Great demeanor, no pouting and is always about the next play. Her lateral foot speed is not great, but adequate for college ball. She can play.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Let me be the first to say it: Remember Ezi MacBegor. :rolleyes: Not the same pressures/circumstance but similar issues nonetheless. Still, whatcha got to lose. Just walked in. I expected a full and complete scouting report from @CocoHusky by the time I got back! 173 CMs is 6"11 right? :D

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Let me be the first to say it: Remember Ezi MacBegor. :rolleyes: Not the same pressures/circumstance but similar issues nonetheless. Still, whatcha got to lose. Just walked in. I expected a full and complete scouting report from @CocoHusky by the time I got back! 173 CMs is 6"11 right? :D
@UConnCat pretty much crushed the scouting report two post above.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know, or have a sense of whether she would be a four year student athlete,
or whether she would bolt for the pros as soon as she's eligible?

Reaction Score
UCONN also needs another guard to add to the rotation next year as well.
Speaking of guard. When Geno turned the game over to the bench, USC trapped Molly and held up others---but Coombs dribbled around and around them like a soph with PT.
I'm not sure you are looking for more of a PG to back up Coombs and Danger, your point I think is well taken--after Danger then who backs up Coombs.??? I think this where you were going????

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Does anyone know, or have a sense of whether she would be a four year student athlete,
or whether she would bolt for the pros as soon as she's eligible?
Hard to tell. FIBA list her birthdate as 31 Mar 2000 which would make her WNBA eligible in the Spring of 2022 if she attends a US college. In the spring of 2022 she will only have completed her Junior year at UCONN. She also has the option of turning pro internationally and she would be WNBA eligible in the spring of 2020.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So she's 6" 04724" barefoot.
Phonetically---Dobja--Pon ##Don't just show her, sign her up---there must be 400,000 people in Ct that can and will speak her language. Geno needs a defender who can score close in--her 3 is a bonus. Does she have 2 younger sisters??

Reaction Score
Hard to tell. FIBA list her birthdate as 31 Mar 2000 which would make her WNBA eligible in the Spring of 2022 if she attends a US college. In the spring of 2022 she will only have completed her Junior year at UCONN. She also has the option of turning pro internationally and she would be WNBA in the spring of 2020.
1,2,3, YEARS of eligibility and in Uconn is 1,2,or 3 more than UC has now. So after one or 2 years she bolts to the WNBA (why Europe pays more money??)

Reaction Score
As mentioned above, Anna (Ania) Makurat plays for Arka Gdynia in Poland's premier women's basketball league. AG is currently is 2nd place; the first place team, CCC Polkowice, includes some familiar names: Tiffany Hayes, Jasmine Thomas and Tami Fagbenle.

I've had a chance to watch a few of Anna's games over the past month. She is currently starting and playing more minutes because of the injury to Rebecca Allen. With more time on the court her production has improved, particularly her 3-point shooting. Her most recent game was mentioned, a 16-point, 8-rebound, 4 assist game against Jordin Canada's team. On Feb 3rd, Anna made 6 three pointers in a loss to a team with Ariel Atkins and Sharnee Zoll. AG plays on Saturdays (10 or 11 EST) and the games are typically shown live on youtube. BTW, AG is a team that has been around for several years. Some alumni include former Huskies Sales, Montgomery and Swanier, as well as notables such as Catchings, Holdsclaw and Beard.

Anna plays guard/wing for AG. She can play the point but I don't think that's her strongest position. She has good size and seems to be a good 3-point shooter. As I mentioned, her accuracy is improving after a slow start. She has great court vision and is an excellent passer, sometimes with some flare. I've seen no evidence of a mid-range game, but she will take the ball to the basket. She's a really smart player, seemingly beyond her years. She's unafraid and wants the ball in big moments. Great demeanor, no pouting and is always about the next play. Her lateral foot speed is not great, but adequate for college ball. She can play.
I saw most of what you described in just that video. Playing that confidently against that level of competition at 18 yo shows me that she would be an impact player at UConn. Sign her up.

Reaction Score
5.ft 8 in a bit small for center. But otherwise sounds good.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I love stuffed cabbage...…….
Kielbasa for me. And pierogi's . Anyway, she's a really good player with lots of good college potential.

I love Molly and Kyla - they are great stories of how great kids who work hard and are great teammates can carve out a good spot on a UCONN team. However, if we are forced to rely on them for big minutes due to lack of depth in big games, I think it's going to spell trouble next year.

As much as I think we are going to love Griffin, she will only be a freshman and she's sort of blown up recently - hasn't really had that much experience on the big stage against other great players. I think her learning curve will be slower than Williams, and even ONO. We will see - I have high hopes for her.

My point is another guard with great size who is a good passer and hard worker would be a welcome addition. She's playing against WNBA level players and holding her own. Reminds me in a way of Nurse - even tho she improved big time at UCONN, she was more college ready than many, due to her time spent with the Canadian National Team.

I'd love to land this kid as well as a post or 2. Big time opportunities for ONO, as well as Batouly and Kyla next season. I also have hopes that Mikayla can come up with some kind of ability to shoot the ball over the summer and be a solid back up PG for Crystal. She has size and speed and plays excellent defense. Her offense is just so dreadful...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I've seen more highlights and not so much full games, but I like what I see in Anna. She has good size, at least 6'0", possibly 6'1". She also seems to have fairly long arms. I like her handle, shot from distance, and passing. She seems to have a good basketball IQ and be a team player. She looks more like Diana, bun included, than anyone else I've ever seen. She wants UConn. She is the #2 or #3 player in all of Europe for her age group. That means that she's very, very good. I hope she is on campus in August!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom